NBA 2K17 Roster Advice

Gentleman Raven

I would love to get some advice from the people here who watch the NBA a little more than I do. I play NBA 2K17's Association mode as the Portland Trail Blazers(PS3. Too poor to upgrade systems yet). I would love to get some roster talk from NBA fans as though this was a real NBA team. Thoughts on the roster and where I can improve, etc would be amazing.

After making a couple of trades, here are my guards: Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are starting. Backing up Dame is Evan Turner(6th man). Backing up CJ are Alonzo Gee and Pat Connaughton. Listed as reserves are Shabazz Napier and Fred VanVleet.

I have Al-Farouq Aminu and Serge Ibaka starting at the two forward positions. Backing up Aminu are Evan Turner(plays both SF and PG) and Jake Layman. Backing up Ibaka is Noah Vonleh. Maurice Harkless is on the roster but injured right now. Starting at Center is Mason Plumlee. Backing him up are Alexis Ajinca and Meyers Leonard(who also occasionally plays PF).

Trades I have made so far include trading Festus Ezeli and Ed Davis to the Pelicans for Tyreke Evans and Alexis Ajinca, trading Allen Crabbe and an '18 1st round pick to the Nuggets for a '17 1st round pick and Alonzo Gee, trading Tim Quarterman and an '18 2nd round pick to the Raptors for a '17 1st round pick and Fred VanVleet and trading Tyreke Evans to the Magic for Serge Ibaka and a '17 2nd round pick.

Any thoughts or questions would be great. If others want to post for roster advice as well, I would encourage that.

I would love to get some advice from the people here who watch the NBA a little more than I do. I play NBA 2K17's Association mode as the Portland Trail Blazers(PS3. Too poor to upgrade systems yet). I would love to get some roster talk from NBA fans as though this was a real NBA team. Thoughts on the roster and where I can improve, etc would be amazing.

After making a couple of trades, here are my guards: Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are starting. Backing up Dame is Evan Turner(6th man). Backing up CJ are Alonzo Gee and Pat Connaughton. Listed as reserves are Shabazz Napier and Fred VanVleet.

I have Al-Farouq Aminu and Serge Ibaka starting at the two forward positions. Backing up Aminu are Evan Turner(plays both SF and PG) and Jake Layman. Backing up Ibaka is Noah Vonleh. Maurice Harkless is on the roster but injured right now. Starting at Center is Mason Plumlee. Backing him up are Alexis Ajinca and Meyers Leonard(who also occasionally plays PF).

Trades I have made so far include trading Festus Ezeli and Ed Davis to the Pelicans for Tyreke Evans and Alexis Ajinca, trading Allen Crabbe and an '18 1st round pick to the Nuggets for a '17 1st round pick and Alonzo Gee, trading Tim Quarterman and an '18 2nd round pick to the Raptors for a '17 1st round pick and Fred VanVleet and trading Tyreke Evans to the Magic for Serge Ibaka and a '17 2nd round pick.

Any thoughts or questions would be great. If others want to post for roster advice as well, I would encourage that.

So your coming up on the '17 draft with the picks listed above or you made those picks?

Overall, I think your Guards are very good, your front court needs work but Ibaka will help in the short term.

One thing the game is really, really stupid on is that the first year of FA in association, the guys who signed fake "1 year contracts" (notably Durant and Lebron) as holdovers until this summer when the cap goes up, the game treats as regular free agents. If you have the space for a max deal, you can likely get a superstar there as the teams they are on will falter in signing them (Lebron in particular).

Example: On the digital '18 Celtics, we were able to snag Lebron for a max contract, because the game doesn't treat that 1 year deal as a place holder. So my lineup is now:

PG: Thomas

SG: Bradley

SF: Lebron

PF: Ben Simmons (ping pong balls went well for me, the Celtics start with a high pick due to the real life Brooklyn massacre trade)

C: Gortat (MLE signing)

Absent that, I would look to get Noel out of Philly. He's very good as a defensive anchor and can run a bit, and I was able to snag him for very little cost (I think filler guys and a future first that won't be worth crap because we are good now)

But i think if you can build around that backcourt for years, Portland is very good. The issue for you is likely getting the "third guy" to run the front court, if you decide not to just break the system for lebron or Durant via free agency.

As mentioned, it's a bit too easy to try to lure big free agents, but if you're interested in trying to sim Portland, Ibaka is a good signing for what he brings in terms of defense. In general that's going to be a problem with Lillard & McCollum. Aminu is rated like, a 76 or something like that, which is too high for a guy who is shooting 37% this season; I don't think he's a long-term solution as a starter. In general, I'd be looking for catch and shoot guys who can guard multiple positions to build around your core 2-3 guys. Also, I don't know if you're playing much or just simming, but I don't think Turner & Evans would be a good combination: both are ball-pounding facilitators who can't really shoot. Both are nice second unit leaders on their own, but combined I think they'd get in each other's way.

Archived