How do you book your long feuds?

Interested to know how you guys book long feuds, how do you guys keep them going.?

I tend to blow all of big ideas right away in a couple years, especially with Indies. Like CZCW I book an evil boss angle followed by an invasion angle. Once you do that in your first 4 years trying to lead with feuds with lower stakes just feels flat.

I can do long feuds but it normally falls Into a 3 match feud over 5 months followed by a tag feud/ multiman feud before a final blow off between the two guys. That I may get a year out of at the most.

Other feuds differ depend on gimmicks. Like the Hero working through a group to get to the leader.

<p>it all depends on what you mean by long feud.</p><p> </p><p>

For me a long feud is anything 6months plus and ive personally never done a feud longer than a year.</p><p> </p><p>

That being said ive also ended those year long feuds with the sole intention of having them feud again down the road but with an added dimension of maybe an extra wrestler or two, or a title or a real big stipulation match, which essentially then makes the feud anything from 1year+</p><p> </p><p>

example, I may have sting and Hogan battle for a year for dominance in my WCW, but I may make it so that Hogan never defends the world title against sting, and their matches are all either tag/multi man matches or if a 1v1 its when I've had Hogan lose the title to someone else, the big pay off match for the first feud would be a cage match.</p><p> </p><p>

Now I send them down different paths but also very much the same, i'll use Hogan to get someone else built up and likewise sting, these maybe 3-6month feuds depends how they pan out or the competitors I choose. Hogan and Sting will still have runs every once in a while but its just to keep the seed there.</p><p> </p><p>

Once im done with their other feuds i'll now look at booking another 12month feud between them but now i'll look at adding the dynamic of one or maybe two new guys to it (basically anyone that they have just been feuding with) instantly now ive got my big pay off match as being a 3way/fatal 4way/multiman world title match but the focus will be sting and Hogan......... i'll end that feud and again send them on separate paths. i'll repeat the same procedure and then again will have a final 6-12month feud with my big payoff match being the highly anticipated 1v1 match for the world title.</p><p> </p><p>

This can take me around 5years and I essentially look at it as one feud, but I break it down to many thus keeping my game fresh. Also obviously plans can change, injuries, contract renewals, retirements, deaths but that's all part of the fun (for me anyways)</p>

<p>While running an all woman brand, I don't have the benefit yet of a massive talent pool to switch out workers constantly. So I have to re-visit feuds months, maybe years down the line in order to keep booking. It has shaped how I book overall. </p><p> </p><p>

My view is, every wrestler has their own story. Each feud is just a chapter of the story, building from the previous. There are no non-sequitors in someones life. If a young wrestler feuded with and lost to a veteran wrestler, and years down the line they feud again. I reference the previous feud and highlight how the young wrestler has grown since then. If bestfriends fight, after teaming, after feuding. This relationship becomes a part of their identities. They don't fight month after month and sometimes they feud with other people but their lives are forever intertwined in the way that Kane and Taker's are. When I need them to feud I have a backlog of history to build from.</p>

<p>Depends on what the feud is. Is it a cowardly heel champion (at least not wanting to face the person who he beat for the belt)? Surround him with a bunch of lackeys. Introduce a no rematch clause, and debut new members of his stable by having them interfere in that match to help him win.</p><p> </p><p>

So say you have Heel Champ beating Wrestler A, adding a 'no rematch' clause. Wrestler A is out of luck, so you have to have a new challenger (Wrestler B). During the PPV match with B, someone debuts to attack him helping the Heel Champ. </p><p> </p><p>

Do this for a few PPVs - change up the ways in which these people debut or join. So you now have the Heel Champ surrounded by 3 or 4 lackeys. You're now about 5 months removed from the original match up. Wrestler A wants a rematch now? He needs to beat all the lackeys. Add another 3 months or so. </p><p> </p><p>

Obviously you'll have to find a reason for him to get a rematch, but it could be whatever - he steals the belt (a la Austin/Rock for the IC) or he gets in the champ's head. But that right there gets you about 9 months worth of challengers. And you have to find a way to elevate people enough to challenge the Heel in the meantime.</p>

<p>Usually one or three months...</p><p>

One month feuds are for my lower card workers, ending with a blow-off match.</p><p>

Three month feuds are for my upper card workers, spanding over three PPV's where the face gets two wins and the heel one win. </p><p> </p><p>

However, In my current save (WCW 2001), I'm running a feud that's entering it's 5th month, and it will run for two more months.</p>

I think it depends on the time period and the schedule you run. In the 1980s, you could have a year-long feud because the same guys weren't on the same card a lot of the time, and the cards were spaced farther out. If you're working in that time period, there's plenty of real-world inspirations you can steal from!

Archived