Openweight class - removing restrictions in weight class cross-over

Now that one-night tournaments have returned, it would be great if we could replicate the old PRIDE-style Openweight tournaments, while still maintaining the existing weight classes.

Currently, I understand the only ways to do this are:

• to arrange catchweight bouts (but this requires the fighters to agree a suitable weight limit, and is therefore unsuitable for most openweight tournaments); or
  • to temporarily create an openweight weight class (but this requires the existing weight classes to be removed, and requires a lot of manual effort to return to normal state once the tournament is finished).

Is it possible to remove the restriction that prevents an organisation from having two weight classes that overlap (e.g. an openweight class and a lightweight class)? Let me know if there is any other way to achieve this.

<p>I do think it would be awesome to have an Openweight title and other titles as well.</p><p> </p><p>

I've had no problem getting fighters to agree to fight in openweight tournaments but that could be due to the fighters I chose. I have had to hold them in unregulated areas to stop the athletic commissions from stopping them due to big size differences between competitors.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jsilv0" data-cite="jsilv0" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44644" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't know how it is compared to WMMA3 but in WMMA3 in the beginning I just created 1 weight class with all weights in it and fighters never turned down the fights because of weight</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes, I think that still works - but it isn't possible to create an openweight division, in circumstances where you already have existing weight classes.</p><p> </p><p> In any case, I think there might be other factors in play which would prevent this suggestion from being implemented - e.g. it may have some flow-on effects on fighters requesting to change weight classes.</p>

Archived