The Ultimate Jobber

Hi all,

I'm thinking about running a game as a Texas-based company and going along the same route as WCCW did in the real world (Texas-heavy, high production costs, centred around a trio of major stars).

However, something I've been thinking a lot about is the following:

Who are the best regional-level jobbers? Like guys who are never going to make it as superstars, but who are unlikley to cripple match quality and injure actual stars?

I'm guessing I should be looking for Basics/Psychology/Safety but with no Star Appeal or charisma? That sound about right? If so, in Cornellverse who would fit the bill perfectly? Am I missing something important that I should be looking for?

Also, is it worth running a Young Lion system, but in the States? Is that feasible?

Any jobber-tastic info would be good.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="El Horse" data-cite="El Horse" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> I'd say Bob Casey too but at regional level he can actually be a pretty solid mid card dude.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Absolutely agree with this. Especially if you're talking an established regional level fed. Heck, I've main evented Casey in some of my training feds. His wars with Ted Brady are the stuff of indy legend in Cappy Land. But to be fair, those were also A: Local feds trying to build to Regional and B: previous versions of the game. In TEW16, I fully acknowlege age is starting to catch up to Bob. By the time the next game is released, The King of Lovably Ugly should either want to retire or transition into road agent as I like to try and have him do in my games.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TCP1" data-cite="TCP1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Also, is it worth running a Young Lion system, but in the States? Is that feasible?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> For your purposes, no. You're looking for simple jobbers. Putting the young lion rule into play in the US would not suit what you're looking for. Young lions are those workers who have to prove they're worth a push. It's where the cream rises to the top. You're not looking for Kazuchika Okada or Shinsuke Nakamura. You're looking for Curt Hawkins. You don't need to institute young lions to accomplish that, and that would tend to work against pretty much every mainstream product in the area.</p><p> </p><p> As for who would fit the bill in the C-Verse, that's easy. Use a simple filter set:</p><p> </p><p> Good In-ring workers</p><p> Good Brawlers</p><p> Good Performance skills</p><p> </p><p> Those three together should hone in on exactly the type of worker that would fit your product (assuming it's set up like ol' school products where something like the Tupelo Concession Stand brawl would go over huge). Sign the cheapest ones and you'll be on your way.</p>

For your purposes, no. You're looking for simple jobbers. Putting the young lion rule into play in the US would not suit what you're looking for. Young lions are those workers who have to prove they're worth a push. It's where the cream rises to the top. You're not looking for Kazuchika Okada or Shinsuke Nakamura. You're looking for Curt Hawkins. You don't need to institute young lions to accomplish that, and that would tend to work against pretty much every mainstream product in the area.

As for who would fit the bill in the C-Verse, that's easy. Use a simple filter set:

Good In-ring workers

Good Brawlers

Good Performance skills

Those three together should hone in on exactly the type of worker that would fit your product (assuming it's set up like ol' school products where something like the Tupelo Concession Stand brawl would go over huge). Sign the cheapest ones and you'll be on your way.

Shoutout for the Tupelo Concession Stand brawl. I'm from Tupelo! My dad references it quite a bit.

Also, strong selling helps. I'm sure that falls in with good performance skills though.

You just want a guy with high selling and low star quality/charisma.

You don't need "good workers" to job because they are there to lose in under 5 minutes. If that.

Still, being decent in the ring helps.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Peria" data-cite="Peria" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You just want a guy with high selling and low star quality/charisma.<p> </p><p> You don't need "good workers" to job because they are there to lose in under 5 minutes. If that.</p><p> </p><p> Still, being decent in the ring helps.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't think 'decent' will accomplish what TCP is looking for. This part:</p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TCP1" data-cite="TCP1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Like guys who are never going to make it as superstars, but who are unlikley to cripple match quality and injure actual stars?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> requires a "good" in-ring worker. Whether the match is 5 minutes or 50 minutes, you don't want someone in there with a star who isn't safe with good basics, consistent, and with a passing knowledge of ring psychology. In TEW terms, that's a 'good' worker. Decent seems to require a minimum of 50 or 51, which might be a bit low (especially for safety). If you plan to use jobbers extensively (as they did in the territories), you'd probably want as many Steve Flash types as you can afford (good hands who just happen to be black holes of charisma). I would guess card level would factor in as well. Not all jobbers are enhancement talents (JTTS!). An older veteran with in-ring experience but no chance of a sustained push could be a midcard or main event gatekeeper, for example.</p><p> </p><p> Not saying you're wrong Peria (your suggestion is actually most cost-effective, depending on worker popularity). Just giving an alternate perspective. I use "jobbers" a lot and find that the better the worker, the better the results I get.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rone Rivendale" data-cite="Rone Rivendale" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I find having my jobber as a 'local talent' works best. If they don't have a contract they can't complain about losing all the time.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Genius! "Local competitor" can be good, assuming they're not Ryback types.</p>

Archived