TCW: The Outsider

THE WRESTLING INSIDER NEWSLETTER 12/21/2015

The Wrestling world was shocked today as Total Championship Wrestling CEO Kyle Rhodes announced that acclaimed writer of TV and the big screen Logan Jackson was named new head of operations for the company. This move essentially gives the Hollywood Wonderboy complete control of all aspects of TCW.

Hard facts are scarce at this time, but rumors are swirling in the locker room of just about every wrestling promotion in the world right now. Whispers are that Jackson, 27, has invested a large sum of money in the promotion through his production company, Infinite Hallway Productions. Some are saying he is in fact now part owner, but that has not been confirmed at this time.

Jackson released a statement through IHP, reading:

"I am excited to take on this challenge, to learn and thrive in an entirely new genre of entertainment. I look forward to working with such an exciting, strong, and experienced team already in place at TCW."

Jackson will be in charge as of the first of the year, and current reports indicate he will be surrounding himself with industry veterans while he "learns the ropes".

Jackson is a complete unknown, so how he will approach things is anyone's guess. More news as we get it.

OOC: So, this is my first attempt at a TCW dynasty/diary, and my first ever experience with the C-Verse. Obviously, Jackson is my avatar, and his struggles and inexperience will be my struggles. I have some experience with TEW, mainly playing the Montreal Aftermath mod, but I am far from a silled player. Hopefully you all will join me in this journey. If you don't, who will keep Logan Jackson honest?

<p><em><strong>The following are excerpts from Logan Jackson's previously unpublished memoir. </strong></em></p><p> </p><p>

<em>December 23, 2015</em></p><p> </p><p>

Everyone thought I was crazy, of course. Wrestling? Really? I got the question more than once. I even asked myself that at one point, when I was about twelve hours deep in a tape watching session, trying to cram as much in to my head as I could about the wrestling industry in general and the company I was now running. I also had my "team", for lack of a better word, put together dossiers on all of our wrestlers, as well as any other major players in the wrestling industry I would need to know about. There was a lot to know. I was going to need help.</p><p> </p><p>

(Kyle) Rhodes and I had a pretty good relationship, so I knew he'd be solid for advice, but I needed multiple points of view, a "writer's room" so to speak. Brent Hill, one of the veteran 'workers', as they call themselves, was in line to be the head booker when I was brought in. The guy in charge of deciding matches, stories, things like that. I didn't know him, never met him. I had my assistant Kellie set up a meeting for Boxing Day. I planned on asking him to be my right hand man, the guy to help bridge the gap between what I wanted to do, and the locker room. I expected pushback, not right away, as I wasn't going to dive right in to rocking the boat, but an outsider coming in...? It could get messy.</p><p> </p><p>

Besides immersing myself in my newfound profession my other priority was getting infrastructure in place. A scouting system was my first step. I wanted to know everything about everything- every promotion, every venue we could be fighting to book, and above all every wrestler... </p><p> </p><p>

<em>A later, un-edited portion of the manuscript reads</em></p><p> </p><p>

My first impressions of TCW itself were fairly positive, all things considered. I didn't have anything to judge it against besides the description I'd been given before accepting the job. TCW was supposed to be the alternative, a more "legitimate" product than it's more entertainment-based competitors. The goal was to make it seem real, an intense athletic competition for supremacy, with a bunch of interesting characters there dukeing it out to see who is the best. </p><p> </p><p>

After watching the last few months of TCW shows I was struck by a few things: Firstly there was a lot of sameness. The characters had personalities, sure, but they all seemed to fall in to two or three different archetypes. There wasn't a lot of variety. For an ensemble show variety is key. They also seemed to fight the same way, which didn't do anything to help differentiate them. I wasn't sure how to fix that, but I was going to make it a priority...</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<em>OOC: More to follow</em></p>

<p><strong><em>From Logan Jackson's unpublished memoir</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

Hill looked at me from across the table, his expression unreadable. I'd just laid out my plan for TCW to him, and made my pitch for him to be my right hand man. I was up front about my lack of experience, my lack of knowledge of the wrestling industry. I wasn't there to bullsh*t him. </p><p> </p><p>

He regarded me coolly. I didn't know much about him, only what I had in my dossier. He'd been in "the business" for over 25 years, first as a bit of a journeyman before finally settling in (and achieving stardom) with TCW. He was dependable, considered to have one of the best minds for booking in the locker room, and most importantly, was well respected and liked by his peers. </p><p> </p><p>

"Okay." He said at last. I raised an eyebrow. I'd expected more pushback, more questions. </p><p> </p><p>

"So you're on board?" </p><p> </p><p>

He nodded. </p><p> </p><p>

"You seem to be on the level." He said. "I've got a pretty good bullsh*t radar, and I've been around this business long enough to smell a conman a mile away. You aren't that." I allowed myself a small smile. "What you are, though, is a kid who doesn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch. If you don't have someone to guide you, you're going to sink this company faster than the Titanic." </p><p> </p><p>

He wasn't wrong, and I told him so.</p><p> </p><p>

"First thing I want you to do is draw me up a shortlist of who should be on our creative team. The 'inner circle', if you will. People you trust to put the company's best interest first. You're going to be my guy, but we need a few different voices in the room, keep things fresh." </p><p> </p><p>

He nodded, his expression stoic. We finished up by going over notes I had for the company-wide meeting I had scheduled for two days out. He asked if he could say a few words at it. I said of course. </p><p> </p><p>

Later that day he had a list of a few names to me, his suggestions for the 'inner circle'. The list was very short, just three names. Two were "road agents", which I gather are the producers who help put the matches together. He suggested someone with the colorful name of Warlord Pain, as well as Robert Oxford, who was someone I already had in mind. Had Hill turned me down, Oxford was my next choice. Also on the list was an active wrestler, and in fact one of our most popular: Ricky Dale Johnson. This gave me pause. I'd been on set with movie stars who had too much power, too much voice in writers rooms or production meetings, but Hill assured me that "RDJ" was only interested in what's best for TCW, reminding me (or, more likely teaching me) that he'd been a part of the company from day one. I had my reservations, but went ahead with Hill's recommendations. What's the point in having a right-hand-man if you're going to doubt his every move? </p><p> </p><p>

<em>OOC: More to follow</em></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>THE WRESTLING INSIDER NEWSLETTER 12/29/15</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

TCW's shake up continues to be the biggest news in the wrestling world, as new head honcho Logan Jackson made the shocking decision to buy out the remainder of their TV contract with the POP! Network in order to move TCW Presents Total Wrestling, the promotion's flagship show, to the USA Sports 1 network. Rumor has it the deal came together through Jackson's Hollywood connections, and was financed by an infusion of cash from Jackson's Infinite Hallway Productions. Opinion in the locker room is said to be split, with some excited by the increase in exposure, while others feel he is rocking the boat too quickly.</p><p> </p><p>

Talent were told about the change during a company wide meeting held yesterday. Jackson addressed all of the talent, telling them that he planned on moving the company in an "exciting direction" that "respected the company's roots but moved it in a more cutting edge direction". He told the performers that there would not be sweeping changes to the roster or product immediately, but that there would be changes as needed. He told everyone they'd have a chance to "prove their worth" and "cement their spot" going forward in the first couple of months of his reign, and that his door was always open for questions and concerns. </p><p> </p><p>

Brent Hill then addressed the room and gave an impassioned speech about this being TCW's chance to finally make the leap and become the top promotion in the world. He said that new blood and new ideas should been seen as a good thing, a chance to push the company forward, not something to be feared, or work against. Several wrestlers, particularly veterans, seemed moved by the speech, and one talent I spoke to on the condition of anonymity told me that it went a long way to earning Jackson some "wiggle room" in the eyes of the locker room. </p><p> </p><p>

Reports indicate that the storyline's TCW had running in to the new year will be continued under the new regime, at least in some form. </p><p> </p><p>

There are also reports Jackson has wasted no time in trying to bolster the TCW roster, though no one has any real idea what his criteria are as far as scouting. Dozens of names have been thrown around, though at this point it's believed that only 3 to 5 contracts have been offered. </p><p> </p><p>

We will follow up with more details as they become available.</p>

<p>I walked in to the venue for my first show in charge, an arena called Clover Fields, with a spring in my step. I always get excited for the first day of production. All the planning, all the prep, it all leads to that first big burst of creative energy. I was ready.</p><p> </p><p>

I had a brief touch-base with Hill before the main production meeting. He told me he was “fully on board” with my plans for the night’s show. I wasn’t planning anything over the top or crazy. I figured I’d let my guys go out there and do what they do best. I wanted them to go out and impress me, and more importantly, impress the audience, which thanks to my TV switch was (hopefully) going to be much larger. The main production meeting itself was good. The agents and production staff all seemed excited about the show, and a couple of the more experienced guys offered me some notes for how to get the best possible performance out of the guys, which I appreciated. </p><p> </p><p>

We broke for lunch and came back and I got to check out the ring getting set up, as well as have a few words with some of “the boys”. Everyone seemed excited or was at least pretending to be so they could get some brownie points. Nobody came to me complaining about their match, which I took as a win. Hill had warned me I’d get a lot of pushback and bellyaching, and to stand firm. But not too firm, he’d go on to say. Luckily I didn’t have to cross that bridge quite yet. </p><p> </p><p>

The rest of the day before the show went by in a blur. Before I knew it I was set up in the area right behind the curtain backstage, which they call the control room. I had a headset so I could talk to the production truck, and I could also be routed directly in to our announcers if I wanted to feed them lines. Hill would be joining me after his match. We sent him out as a pre-show “dark match”, something just for the live audience, but won’t be on TV. This was Brent’s idea, actually. He didn’t want to take up any TV time now that he’s in the office, explaining to me he wanted to diffuse any potential blowback, which he called “heat”. The more I talked to him the more I got the impression that wrestlers are possibly worse than big-time actors, as far as paranoia and a tendency to be prima-donnas. </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p>

The show proper started with Rocky Golden, our number one good guy (Babyface). I sent him out to hype up the crowd by doing a bit (“promo”) where he got on the house microphone and ran down our champion, who he is feuding with, Aaron Andrews. Andrews took the title from him in controversial fashion, and the plan is to have the two of them duke it out for supremacy for a while yet. We had Andrews come out halfway through the segment and say that since he is the champ, he makes the rules now, and Golden can’t just come out and demand a title shot. The crowd seemed to dig it, though Andrews came off kind of bland. He’s obviously got natural charisma, that special ‘it’ quality, but it wasn’t coming through. We’re going to have to look at how to change his presentation to get him looking better. </p><p> </p><p>

Our first match of the night was Jay Chord taking on Darryl Devine. This was really me wanting to see what these two guys have got. From what I gather Chord is the son of a famous wrestler, and Hill and Oxford both seem really high on the guy. His presentation, though, sucked something fierce. Devine is one half of a tag team, which I somehow totally blanked on when drawing up the card and couldn’t change at the last minute without losing face with “the boys”. The match itself was pretty good, as far as I can tell. The producer seemed happy with it. Chord “went over” (won). </p><p> </p><p>

Next we through to a backstage interview with Sammy Bach, one of our popular good guys. Jasmine Saunders, one of our young announcers, was asking him questions about his plans for the immediate future. The segment wasn’t bad per-se, but didn’t really have a ton of point to it. I’m not entirely sold on Bach’s rock-star character, but Hill assures me it got massively over and the fans love it. We’ll see. Saunders seems to have potential, however. </p><p> </p><p>

Next up there was a 2 vs 2 “tag team” match between The New Wave, one of the most established teams on the roster against The Elite, a young up and coming team. This match was really a showcase for The New Wave, and to be honest I probably had it drag out a little too long. Hill told me afterwards that it was good for the young guys, that spending that time in the ring with more experienced wrestlers would help them improve their skills, which was a nice perk I hadn’t anticipated. After the match our reigning tag team champs The Behemoths ran in and laid out the New Wave. The crowd dug it, but it didn’t blow the roof off the building.</p><p> </p><p>

Next up Benny Benson, a kind of white meat good guy, beat American Buffalo, a giant monster of a man, when Ricky Dale Johnson, one of our top good guys (who just happens to be feuding with Buffalo) came down to distract A.B. The match wasn’t much, just a tool to continue the Buffalo RDJ feud. </p><p> </p><p>

After that we threw to Jasmine in the back as she interviewed Aaron Andrews. He put on a good performance (apparently it’s called cutting a promo in the wrestling jargon) getting across his entitled, cocky attitude. The kid’s got “it”, for sure. This was probably the segment of the night. He continued the bickering with Rocky Golden. </p><p> </p><p>

Back in the ring Joshua Taylor defeated Eddie Chandler. Taylor is one of our main good guys, playing a kind of generic “fan favorite” character. I didn’t quite get the appeal, but the fans really reacted to him. Chandler didn’t have much of a character, really. Hill told me he is a “good hand” but isn’t very popular one way or the other with the crowd. This was just a way to showcase Taylor. </p><p> </p><p>

Our semi-main event was Bryan Vessey losing to Sammy Bach in a match people seemed to get in to. I wasn’t fully up to speed with their pre-existing storyline when I put this one together, or I’d probably have given it a different finish. Not sure how I’ll continue their storyline going forward, to be honest. No one made a fuss about this one, but I definitely screwed up. The crowd dug the match, which is the one saving grace here.</p><p> </p><p>

The main event was Rocky Golden taking on one of our top bad guys Wolf Hawkins. I figured the crowd would expect Andrews to get involved in this one, so I tried to subvert that expectation and have Rocky win the match cleanly. The crowd really liked this one, and the two seemed to click decently. After the match we had Andrews run in and lay Golden out with the belt, leaving the villain with the last laugh. </p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

Overall I felt the show went pretty well. It wasn’t a home run, but we didn’t strike out either. Leaving the arena that night I felt pretty good. That feeling wouldn’t last long, however…</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>TCW Quick results for 01-02-16</strong></p><p>

ANGLE: Andrews attacks post match (72)</p><p>

Rocky Golden over Wolf Hawkins (73)</p><p>

Sammy Bach over Bryan Vessey (72)</p><p>

Joshua Taylor over Eddie Chandler (72)</p><p>

ANGLE: Backstage promo w Andrews (81)</p><p>

Benny Benson over American Buffalo (63)</p><p>

ANGLE: Shark & Titan attack New Wave</p><p>

New Wave over The Elite (74)</p><p>

ANGLE: Backstage interview with Bach (59)</p><p>

Jay Chord over Darryl Devine (70)</p><p>

ANGLE: Show opens with Golden- Andrews interrupts (78)</p><p>

(Pre show) Mighty Mo over Brent Hill (66)</p><p>

OVERALL: 65</p>

<p><strong>From Logan Jackson's unpublished memoir</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><em>The come down</em></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

I think I slept about three hours the night after my first show in charge. I was exhausted, but I had to watch the show on tape, to see how it looked to the viewers at home. I also had a copy of our direct competition's show waiting for me, to see how we stacked up. The answer was not well. Not well at all.</p><p> </p><p>

The first thing that jumped out at me was that our show looked minor league compared to the SWF. Not in terms of talent, or even the quality of the wrestling (not that I could really tell good wrestling from bad, to be fair), but in terms of pure production value. Their cameras were better. Their lighting was better. Their music was better. There was no way we were going to compete unless our presentation improved, and fast. I decided I'd finance the upgrades myself. I'd already invested heavily in to the TV negotiations, I wasn't about to let that money go to waste putting out a sub-par production. </p><p> </p><p>

The other issue I saw was one I wasn't as sure how to handle. All our matches seemed, to my untrained eye at least, to be very similar. I was expecting more variety in the types of moves, the types of characters. I knew that TCW was known for its more realistic approach and presentation, rather than over the top caricatures of other promotions, but we seemed to be lacking variety. There were also no female in-ring performers, which struck me as incredibly odd. </p><p> </p><p>

I managed to catch a few hours of shut-eye before my flight back to LA. We had a creative meeting scheduled that afternoon back at headquarters. I called in the heads of production as well. Everyone seemed fairly content after the previous night's show, if a little confused as to why production was in what was originally a creative meeting. </p><p> </p><p>

As I entered the room the side conversations died down. I stood at my chair and made a show of taking out my check book and thumping it down dramatically on the table. </p><p> </p><p>

"Gentlemen." I began. "There is a lot I don't know about this business, a lot still to learn, but I do know television, I know movies. I know how important it is to have top-quality presentation. Last night, at my hotel, I watched our show back to back with the other guys' show. We looked second rate." </p><p> </p><p>

I held up a hand to silence the voices that spoke up in dismay. I was pleased to note it was not just the production people who looked insulted, but the creative folks as well. Camaraderie across departments can sometimes be hard to form. </p><p> </p><p>

"I know that in the past budgetary restraints have meant you're always operating on a shoestring, one or two or sometimes even more steps behind. That ends today." I turned to the production heads. "By the time we go to air next week I want our presentation to be top of the line. From the entrance stage to the lighting to the cameras. We're not on the Pop Network anymore, we have to look the part. Understood?" </p><p> </p><p>

They nodded in agreement, looking like Christmas had come early. I dismissed them from the meeting so the creative and I could get down to brass tacks. After they left Oxford interjected quickly.</p><p> </p><p>

"I'm all for improving the presentation, but I don't think we should jump off the deep end and become some super slick TV product. People watch us for realism, for gritty- in your face action. We start looking too... overproduced, we might lose that." </p><p> </p><p>

I nodded.</p><p> </p><p>

"I understand the concern, but look at sports like MMA, like the NFL. They're shot with cutting edge equipment, top notch production. Are they overproduced? Are they lacking realism? Realism isn't making our arena's look like smoke filled bingo-halls like 'the old days', it's about making our talent look like the best athletes in the world." </p><p> </p><p>

I could tell he wasn't entirely thrilled with my answer, but he 'got it'. I smiled.</p><p> </p><p>

"I'm putting up the money for this myself. Trust me." He just nodded.</p><p> </p><p>

We dove in to breaking down the previous night's show, piece by piece. The one big insight I got from my team was that I'd given far too much time to the "middle card" segments. </p><p> </p><p>

"Not everybody needs fifteen minutes." Hill told me. "You cut down on some of the length of the early to mid matches, you can fit more people on the show." </p><p> </p><p>

It made sense. There were several people I wanted to get on the show that I just couldn't fit in. I wouldn't repeat the mistake. From there we moved on to my suggestions to tweak several of the performer's presentations (their "gimmicks). Johnson spoke up. </p><p> </p><p>

"Woah now." He said. "I know in Hollywood you can change character's motivations on the fly, but it's a bigger deal here. You can't just blow everything up and start again with someone without serious repercussions in the fans' eyes." </p><p> </p><p>

"Absolutely." I said. "Continuity of character is vital. I'm not talking blowing anything up. What I'm thinking is more subtle, more tweaking what's already in place to emphasize certain performer's strengths. But you're right, we can't be willy-nilly with this kind of stuff. That's why I need you guys, to reel me back in if I get too over the top too soon." </p><p> </p><p>

RDJ smiled slightly. What I had said was true, but probably over-stating it. No harm in fluffing an ego though. </p><p> </p><p>

After we finished breaking down the show itself I brought up wanting to diversify the types of wrestlers we were featuring. This time my whole team was united in their disagreement. </p><p> </p><p>

"We have a specific style here, boss." Hill led with. "I get what you're saying, but the fans expect a certain type of program when they tune in to TCW. We don't want to alienate them." </p><p> </p><p>

"Wrestling fans are fickle. Even worse than comic book fans." Oxford added, throwing the latter in as a not-so-subtle nod to the backlash I got early in my career for daring to update a beloved superhero's costume. "Growing is one thing, but we don't want to change too much too soon."</p><p> </p><p>

I nodded. They were fair points, but I wasn't going to be deterred. </p><p> </p><p>

"You look at amateur wrestling, MMA, and they have weight classes. I know we've had weight classes here before as well. I'm not saying we overhaul the whole roster, but adding in a few different styles here and there is going to be a good thing. I want you guys to draw me up a shortlist of guys who don't necessarily fit 'our type', but would still fit in well here, if you know what I mean." They nodded, unenthusiastically. </p><p> </p><p>

"Where are we going to put them all?" Hill asked. "You already have more people than we can book on our show..." </p><p> </p><p>

He had a point. I decided to turn it around on him. </p><p> </p><p>

"Good question. Come up with some possible solutions for me. I don't need a written report, just a couple of options with their pros and cons." </p><p> </p><p>

I stood to leave before he could reply. As I walked to the door I stopped and turned back around. The guys looks faintly shell shocked, maybe by my decisiveness, or maybe the scale of my changes. They weren't ready for my next idea, but it didn't matter.</p><p> </p><p>

"Oh, one more thing." I said. They looked back up at me, almost anxiously. "We're starting a women's division."</p>

The Wrestling Insider Newsletter

Logan Jackson has splashed out the cash yet again, pumping serious resources in to a major overhaul of TCW's production setup. Several sources within TCW have stated that morale backstage is improving with this news, as well as the addition of masseuse and chiropractic services at shows. Many feel like Jackson is "putting his money where his mouth is", and that they take these changes as a sign he's taking his new role seriously.

This new loosening of purse strings has also led to the signing of several workers. As of press time we can confirm that Greg Gauge and Cali Slick have both been brought in, and several more are expected in the coming days. Rumors are swirling there has been a "big name" signing, but as of press time we are unable to confirm or deny this.

As the build towards Malice in Wonderland continues expect to see a couple of more mid-card storylines begin in TCW, including one for the Tag Team titles.

Reports of a women's division being in the cards for TCW have intensified in recent days. The first two signings of this new division are expected to be announced soon.

More as we get it.

From Logan Jackson's unpublished memoir

I'd been thinking a lot about our major storylines (or "angles), and where they were going. Wrestling was, in essence, an athletic soap opera. Even TCW, with all of its focus on being legitimate and tough, fell under this umbrella. It was a never ending stream of entangled stories between the different wrestlers. Old rivals became partners of convenience only to turn on each other again, an old rivalry, long dormant gets sprung back to life, it just went on and on, never stopping, never resetting. Characters left, for greener pastures in other promotions or calm retirements that never seemed to last and new ones took their place.

In one of our first couple of meetings Brent had laid out the few very basic rules that governed the storylines in wrestling, or at least the ones in TCW. Realism was key. Despite the resemblance structurally to soap operas, content wise the fans didn't want over the top drama or complicated story-arcs.

"The two main things to focus on" he told me, " are Rocky (Golden, our main star) and the TCW World Title. Whatever else is going on, never lose sight of those two things. They're the center of everything."

It made sense. And looking at the recent history of the shows, it was true. That conversation got me to thinking where we were going with the current stories. Rocky Golden was chasing Aaron Andrews, who won the title from him without actually pinning him. It was fairly straightforward, predictable. It was going well so far, and would work in the short term, but I had an idea for where to go after. I ran it by Hill a couple of days after my first TV taping.

He sat stoically and listened to me lay it out. It had come to me when I found some of my initial notes on TCW and its history. I'd scribbled something in the margins of a notepad then promptly forgot about it. When I circled back to it I realized it'd be the perfect way to take the "main event scene". It was exciting, surprising, but still in keeping with TCW and its history.

"So, what do you think?" I asked him when I was done. He was silent for a moment, then nodded slowly.

"It could work." He said. I'd later learn that this was high praise indeed from Brent Hill. "But we'd need to do it right."

We spent the next hour or so going over the details: the timing, the presentation, and most importantly, the players. One part in particular was the linchpin, and I knew I didn't know enough to cast it correctly.

"This one's on you, Brent. I trust you to make the call."

And I did. He put the deal together and we started setting up the story that very next week on Total Wrestling...

<p><strong><em>TCW.COM PRESENTS TOTAL RECAP</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

Total Wrestling Live from the Mayor Street Arena (New England Region)</p><p> </p><p>

The show opens with a much-increased pyro budget and noticeably better lighting and production values, including a brand-new opening title video. After the opening video we see <strong>Rocky Golden</strong> out to a huge ovation. He comes out and calls<strong> Aaron Andrews</strong> a coward, not a champion. He says Andrews couldn’t beat him to win the title, and he damn sure can’t beat him to keep it. This brings out the champion, who mocks Rocky as “yesterdays news” and a sore loser. Rocky challenges him to a fight, tonight, but Andres begs off. This brings out <strong>Joshua Taylor</strong>, who also wants a title shot. “No disrespect, Rocky,” He says, “but its my turn.” Rocky, naturally, takes exception to this. As he starts to get in Taylor’s face another theme song hits, and <strong>Wolf Hawkins</strong> joins the fray. Hawkins calls Taylor the “least deserving man in the building” when it comes to a title shot. All four men are riled up, and after a few minutes of bickering Rocky suggests “Let’s just settle this tonight. You two versus us two.” The Champ and Hawkins agree, and our main event is set!</p><p> </p><p>

After a commercial break we are back with our first match of the night, with <strong>Marc Speed</strong> taking on <strong>Dazzling Dave Diamond</strong>. This is a pretty one-sided match, with Speed dominating the Cowboy from Texas. This is a non-title match, and Speedball makes quick work of Diamond. </p><p> </p><p>

We then throw to the back where <strong>Jasmine Saunders</strong> has <strong>Floyd Goldworthy</strong> and <strong>American Buffalo</strong> for an interview. The Fast Buck had some very pointed remarks aimed at one <strong>Ricky Dale Johnson</strong>, calling him a “past his prime has-been” and saying that his time at the top of the TCW food chain has run out. Buffalo, for his part, stood in the background looking menacing, only really jumping in on the mic with a few emphatic proclamations at the end of his manager’s rants. </p><p> </p><p>

We go to break and come back with another exciting match as <strong>Darryl Devine</strong> takes on<strong> Nate Johnson</strong>! This match was a lot more even than many expected, with Johnson hanging with Devine in impressive fashion. Devine ended up taking the victory, but Johnson showed out well. Could a career resurgence be in the cards for 21 year pro?</p><p> </p><p>

We then cut to a pre-taped video featuring<strong> Mighty Mo</strong>! We see the young dynamo training in the gym, running stairs at a stadium, and perfecting his moves in the squared circle. </p><p> </p><p>

Next up we have <strong>Chance Fortune</strong> taking on <strong>Brent Hill</strong> in a clash of two guys trying to move in to title contention. This was an exciting, back and forth, evenly matched contest. Both guys gave each other their best shots and came back for more. In the end Hill took the victory cleanly, but he seemed impressed with the younger man. </p><p> </p><p>

We go to commercial and come back to the ring where<strong> Dr. Love Danny Fonzerelli</strong> is set up in his new interview segment, the Love Shack. He regales the audience with some love advice for a few minutes when out of the crowd comes <strong>Eddie Peak</strong>! Peak looks absolutely unhinged as he destroys Dr. Love and his Love Shack, leaving Fonzerelli unconscious in the center of the ring. </p><p> </p><p>

Back from another break we see<strong> Ricky Dale Johnson</strong> take on <strong>Bryan Vessey</strong> in a battle of two top talents looking to jump back in to the title hunt. This was an exciting back and forth match, with both competitors giving it their all. After nearly fifteen minutes of hard fought action RDJ took the win cleanly in the middle of the ring! As RDJ celebrated his win American Buffalo made good on his threat from earlier in the night by running in and laying out the former World Champion! </p><p> </p><p>

We go to commercial and come back to a tag match for the #1 Contendership to the World Tag Titles! <strong>The New Wave</strong> take on the <strong>Canadian Animals</strong> in an exciting bout. These two have a storied history together, and it showed here, with each team seemingly one step ahead of the other, countering their signature moves and holds. They threw in plenty of call backs to previous bouts, with Jason Azaria helpfully pointing them out for newer viewers. Despite cheating at every turn the Animals weren’t able to gain an advantage for long, though neither were the New Wave. In the end neither team could make it happen, as the bout ended with a time limit draw! The New Wave want to keep going, but the Animals have had enough and head for the back! </p><p> </p><p>

Back from break we see <strong>Jasmine Saunders</strong> again, this time holding the mic for <strong>Sammy Bach</strong>. Bach says its his time to shine, and that the whole TCW locker room better watch out. <strong>Jay Chord</strong> walks in to frame, telling Bach to shut up and let the future of TCW have his say. They exchange a few harsh words and tense glances, but don’t come to blows.</p><p> </p><p>

We then head to the ring for our MAIN EVENT of World Champion<strong> Aaron Andrews</strong> teaming with <strong>Wolf Hawkins</strong> to take on<strong> Rocky Golden</strong> and <strong>Joshua Taylor</strong>! All four of these men know each other well, and all four have issues with each other. Golden and Taylor work better together, due mainly to the distrust between the World Champ and Wolf, but the willingness to cheat evens the odds. The match breaks down in to two main storylines, Wolf wanting to embarrass Taylor and Andrews ducking Golden as much as he can, only jumping in the ring when Rocky is already down or at a disadvantage. The match is very even, back and forth, and all four guys left it all in the ring. After about twenty minutes the ref was inadvertently caught when Andrews ducked out of the way of a clothesline from Golden, and while he was down a <strong>Gigantic man in a black mask</strong> hit the ring and laid out Golden and Wolf with Choke-Bombs! Andrews and Hawkins both looked shocked and confused for a moment as the gargantuan man left through the crowd. Andrews, seemingly in a daze, just stared at Golden, unconscious in the middle of the ring. Hawkins, meanwhile, shook the referee awake and yelled for Andrews to “PIN HIM!”, which he did in short order, winning the match for his side. The show ends with Andrews and Hawkins exchanging confused words while the huge man leaves the building. </p><p> </p><p>

QUICK RESULTS FOR TCW PRESENTS TOTAL WRESTLING EPISODE 2</p><p>

SHOW OPEN- SET UP TAG (84)</p><p>

Dazzling Dave vs Marc Speed (54)</p><p>

Backstage interview w Buffalo/Goldsworthy (76)</p><p>

Nate Johnson vs Darryl Devine- (56)</p><p>

Mighty Mo hype vid (72)</p><p>

Chance vs Hill(63)</p><p>

Peak Breaks up Love Shack (73)</p><p>

RDJ vs Vessey (67)</p><p>

Buffalo Attacks (74)</p><p>

New Wave vs Canadian Animals (73)</p><p>

Bach promo- Chord interrupts (68)</p><p>

Andrews/Wolf vs Taylor/Golden (81)</p><p>

Mystery Man leaves ringside, heels shocked (84)</p><p>

OVERALL 79</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<em>(OOC) So I am still torn on how best to do show recaps. I'm leaning towards this more "in universe" write up, followed by assorted notes from Jackson et al (to follow). Let me know what you all think, and thanks so much for reading! </em></p>

<p><strong><em>The following are Logan Jackson's notes from the post- Total Wrestling booking meeting</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

We altered Aaron Andrews' presentation slightly, focusing more how he is the "Ace" of our company: the best wrestler, the most exciting to watch, etc. It came across well. It's pretty much just distilling what he was already doing and letting his own natural charisma shine through. He seemed a little off his game in the opening segment, but judging from the videos I've seen from his past his acting is definitely improving. Good news for our champ.</p><p> </p><p>

Oxford said not to judge Marc Speed too harshly on his performance, he was having an off night because his flight had been delayed twice and his rental car was cancelled. He barely made it to the arena. </p><p> </p><p>

Ricky praised Chance Fortune, saying his performances on camera are getting better each week. </p><p> </p><p>

Nate Johnson's not coming across well at all. His character just isn't working. Everyone agrees he needs a new presentation.</p><p> </p><p>

"Dr. Love" didn't handle improvising very well, so I'm going to work with him a little more directly for his future segments. I've been careful not to go overboard with scripting everyone, I don't want anyone to feel like they're being micro-managed, but Danny even came to me and said he could use some help with his lines, so I feel justified. </p><p> </p><p>

Everyone was in agreement that our big surprise came off well and advanced the stories, but apparently the "mystery man" was no real mystery. The crowd started chanting for Marat as soon as they saw him. Not sure how to approach this, so we'll have to figure something out.</p>

Archived