Movie Tycoon 8: Planning & Searching for Help

Goliath764

Hello everyone, I am currently thinking about setting up Movie Tycoon 8 and I am looking for opinions and suggestions on the game's mechanics. Also, I am looking for helpers or co-GM if one prefers that.

1. Personally, I liked FlameSnoopy's revamp on the rules for MT7. I would like to stick with something closer to that but with him/her no showing on the site since August, I can't PM and ask for formula and stuff. So, I am leaning toward slight adjustment and forming my own formulas. Have to give them some more thoughts to begin with.

2. As for talent skill, I also liked MT7's take but I think one score for direction is a bit shallow. I think either a direction score with "favored genre" or multiple direction skills like action directing, drama direction, and so on will be better, albeit more work on adding new talents into the database.

3. Review, I think we should get away from an one person system. Of course, that depends on how many volunteers are there going to be. My current idea is that each movie will run for X real life days(currently thinking 5; ICly this also add immersion as it feels like the movies are running for weeks in the theater) and critics can take review in that time period. The final star rating of the movie is the average, but the talent adjustment, profit/loss and so on will still be calculated by me(or other head critic if the game evolves into having more of that).

4. Negotiation, I am thinking of making it more immersive. I think some just see it as a number and a step to get through in the process, but when I am the mod for the game long time ago, I really enjoyed trying to create situation and do more than just numbers. However, most of the time it's just numbers unless there are conditions in the studio's proposal. It's not like I know what all the actors like to RP well and negotiation isn't supposed to be as complex as real life anyway. The idea I have is to make it more dynamic but still simple. My current plan is that the studio(so, players) can write out what they want to say to specific actor/actress

5. Skill is a planned new system. Before MT7, the value that reflects a talent's skill is just a simple number. I kept that in my previous runs because I am not confident in my ability to gauge all the skills of the talents. Skill is something I thought of to create some differences for the various talents. This is similar to the skills in Wrestling Spirit 3, WMMA5 or Comic Book Hero, or if you have played any sort of RPGs(especially the tabletop kind). For example, "Action Icon" is a skill for the long-time action star like Arnold Schwarzenegger and its effect can be something like +X to the dice roll when acting in action flms OR "If rolls below 20, the end result is 20" as a security blanket and so on. Of course, these talents know they are good at that genre and might ask for more money and so on. As talents evolve with the game and have actual filmography, they might develop new skills. While I do plan to keep MT7's stat system intact, I think adding skill doesn't hurt either.

6. Helper, I need you. Running the game has always been a huge task and I have other projects to attend to at the moment. What I am looking for, that I can think of now, are:

(a)Talent Judge: As I am unfamiliar with Hollywood nowadays, I need someone to do judge what stats to give to new talents added into the database. I am thinking of importing what we have from MT7 because...why not? But there are always more. I am Asian and I think I have good handle on Asian talent(besides Korean, hardcore K-entertainment fan can cover that for me as long as you are not biased) so I can do those if someone want to try bringing those talents into the Hollywood just like real life. Expert in Hollywood, Bollywood and European cinema would be amazing for the job. At the very least, we have to cover Hollywood. Multiple judges on the same "field" can also work as long as they are fine working together.

(b)(More) Critics: Not much to be said. I think for immersion purpose we can all come up with a character or a magazine, website or whatever. Just represent something ICly, but we can worry about that later.

Sounds like this might be something you'll want to take a look at then. Jack Ryder put me on to it when the last tycoon game went flat here. Casting ultimately felt a little too loosey goosey for my speed and financials felt wafer thin. But the presentation is fantastic and it sounds like there are ideas you could borrow on that front.

http://hmsfilms.blogspot.com/

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Goliath764" data-cite="Goliath764" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45990" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Personally, I liked FlameSnoopy's revamp on the rules for MT7. I would like to stick with something closer to that but with him/her no showing on the site since August, I can't PM and ask for formula and stuff. So, I am leaning toward slight adjustment and forming my own formulas. Have to give them some more thoughts to begin with.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Have you atleast tried contacting him? I mean, whats the worst thing that could happen other that he is not responding?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Valkyria" data-cite="Valkyria" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45990" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Have you atleast tried contacting him? I mean, whats the worst thing that could happen other that he is not responding?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> His latest online date is August 1. I would PM him if he has been logging in recently.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Goliath764" data-cite="Goliath764" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45990" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>His latest online date is August 1. I would PM him if he has been logging in recently.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I know, BUT isn't there an automatic E-mail-System that informs him when he gets a PM? Maybe he sees that and starts coming back...</p>

I know, BUT isn't there an automatic E-mail-System that informs him when he gets a PM? Maybe he sees that and starts coming back...

I did not know that, it doesn't hurt to try then.

If some help is needed GMing, I'd be open to giving it a shot. I thought about taking over GMing when MT6 was going out but wasn't sure I'd have the time then.

I need talent judge and critics the most. If I don't get talent judge, I think I will just ask the players to submit what they believed would be the score for talents not in the database and I will adjust based on my opinion.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Goliath764" data-cite="Goliath764" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45990" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> If I don't get talent judge, I think I will just ask the players to submit what they believed would be the score for talents not in the database and I will adjust based on my opinion.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, such as there have been problems with talent ratings in the past. And I don't remember very many. The problem I see with this plan is that the player most familiar with the talent being cast may be the one doing the casting. A la Jack Ryder and his Bollywood stars or me and my soap opera talent.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="cappyboy" data-cite="cappyboy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45990" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well, such as there have been problems with talent ratings in the past. And I don't remember very many. The problem I see with this plan is that the player most familiar with the talent being cast may be the one doing the casting. A la Jack Ryder and his Bollywood stars or me and my soap opera talent.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Before MT7, it's just star rating and that's too easy to grade so not much problem with talent rating will happen. Like, I don't need to even watch any Jennifer Aniston's movie to know she can draw, she just can, look at the box office number and I can assign a number.</p><p> </p><p> I think player most familiar with the talent are the one doing the casting is exactly great with my method. Like you are the one who know the soap opera and talent can give them a fair score. The only abuse one can do is to overrate the talent they want to use, but I don't expect people to do that in this game because (a)this is just a casual forum game people play for fun and to express creativity, not necessarily a competitive, cut-throat game that every advantage is precious (b)I trust the members of this forum to be mature and fair. Like Jack Ryder is obviously the best to grade Bollywood stars and you with soap opera. As long as you both grade well and fair whenever you cast those stars, then we have the problem settled.</p>

Archived