Increase biography length

Would it be possible to increase the amount of text you can put in the biography of each fighter? I like watching the fights and then immediately editing the fighter's biographies to give a little detailed summary of the match and how it effects their career. Unfortunately, you only get so many words, so you run out of room pretty fast.

<p>This illustrates one of the major problems when designing a game like this; because people play this game in such vastly different ways, it's impossible for the developer to please everyone.</p><p> </p><p>

On a personal level, I hated the longer bios for several reasons and preferred the shorter lengths that were provided in WMMA3. The main thing was that in my games the bios only served to add a bit of flavour text to each character, not give their life story, (which invariably led to complications). I rarely even looked at them, and yet they take up so much precious space on the fighter profiles. I was actually toying with suggestions about how to replace them altogether.</p><p> </p><p>

Obviously, you play the game very differently from me and enjoy different aspects of it. I do have to wonder how you manage to go through and update every single bio after an event though; that would absolutely drive me nuts!</p><p> </p><p>

I must have already spent about an entire month of my life writing bios for every character in my database. To say it was a nightmare would be an gross understatement. And even then I had to be vague enough to avoid things that would change over the course of the game, (e.g. using words like 'rookie' or 'contender'). I don't even want to look at those things again, let alone make them even longer.</p><p> </p><p>

One of the great things about this game is that it allows people to immerse themselves in the world in the way they want, and no one is going to tell you how to play the game. But there is a big problem when making such huge fundamental changes to how the game works. Some people will be very much on board with new suggestions, but others will have their experience ruined. And for a game this massive, with such a huge time sink required to edit and design the database the way you want, people will get pretty ticked off if some new change comes along which undermines all their hard work and investment.</p>

No, I don't update every bio, just the fighters I employ. And it's nothing more than a sentence or two detailing what happened in their latest fight. It's the little details that happen in matches that make the bigger picture more interesting. For example, if a fighter pulls off a submission win after getting dominated the majority of the match, I might see that win as much less substantial and that will effect my booking decisions down the road. I find that editing the bio after each fight is MUCH more convenient than taking those notes in a word editor.

Because I don't have the room for it right now, I'm just adding in more important information, like title wins/losses, contentions, slumps, and so on.

We all definitely play the game differently for sure. I know I've played these games countless ways. Each have their upsides and downsides.

Archived