The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

So... What was the point of all of this if THAT was the finish?

Anyway, match of the night? Sammy vs. Spears. Which is mind-boggling, because it had Shawn Spears. I mean, he's a good hand. But his matches in AEW have all been of the "Well, that was good" category at best.

Are you referring to MJF/Jericho? I follow results only, so it probably lacks context but MJF won clean, right? Isn't that what should have happened?

I personally think some of the Labors were out of order (either start with Juvi, or go Spears, Wardlow, Juvi, Gage, MJF). Either way, the most brutal match should set up the MJF one. The stipulation was silly though - no music? And not using the Judas Effect? I understand when the big guys can't use the powerbomb, since that's a go-to move. Maybe with context it would mean more.

So... What was the point of all of this if THAT was the finish?

Anyway, match of the night? Sammy vs. Spears. Which is mind-boggling, because it had Shawn Spears. I mean, he's a good hand. But his matches in AEW have all been of the "Well, that was good" category at best.

I mean, to put over a young star by a 51 year old Vet, while giving said Vet every excuse for losing it?

Now Jericho can take time off to tour and just do commentary, MJF can be an annoying prick about beating Jericho clean (after 4 matches, including a death match) and if/when he decides to get back into the ring again they can do him v MJF or not.

Seemed like pretty good booking to me, putting over the young up and comer over the established legend in a great match. It's what WWE has failed to do for the last 20 years, thus why Bill OOOOLLLLDDDBBBEEERRRGGG is prob about to squash LAshley.

The stipulation was silly though - no music? And not using the Judas Effect? I understand when the big guys can't use the powerbomb, since that's a go-to move. Maybe with context it would mean more.

The context is that MJF is a slimy prick, and took away his opponents finisher, to give himself a major advantage in the match, which in fact directly lead to the finish when Jericho hesitated because he was going to throw it, letting MJF turn the tables into a salf of the earth for the victory.

as to the song, the reason there was pretty obvious, that entrance with 5K people signing it for him while MJF screamed at them was awesome. If that's Jericho's last entrance, it will be a memorable one

Jericho said recently that when he has his retirement match, people won't even know it's his retirement.

If this match with MJF is his last, it was a good match to go out in.

My only problem with the finish was the ref had their back turned when Jericho went for the Judas Effect so he could have easily done it and gotten away with it. I mean he used the bat two seconds before hand behind the red's back.

Not to get off topic, but Goldberg lost clean (if 3 minutes outside the ring and 2 minutes in the ring after the bell is clean) to McIntyre last time around. I don't see the result being different this time around.

And thanks for the context, Jaysin. Can definitely see how some might take exception with that part of it.

Not to get off topic, but Goldberg lost clean (if 3 minutes outside the ring and 2 minutes in the ring after the bell is clean) to McIntyre last time around. I don't see the result being different this time around.

And thanks for the context, Jaysin. Can definitely see how some might take exception with that part of it.

I'll believe it when I see it. Bill Goldberg with 2 losses in a row? We'll see.

This is the man that demanded he beat the Fiend or no new contract

Regardless, my point was more that the way WWE books, they have zero new stars. Everyone other than Reigns is a J. A. G. booking wise

Tony Khan from Twitter:

I’m betting that excitement from the most anticipated announcement in @AEW history at #AEWRampage The First Dance will build up through All Out on PPV. We’ll make new fans + we’ll welcome dormant wrestling households worldwide back into the fold; a new era in #AEW begins tomorrow

I don't think I've been as excited for a wrestling show as I am right now.

In other news, Roman Reigns said that CM Punk wasn't a draw. So much low-hanging fruit right there. The simple fact is that AEW sold out the United Center for a b-show with no matches announced solely on the strength that fans thought CM Punk might show up. If that ain't drawing power, I don't know what is.

I don't think I've been as excited for a wrestling show as I am right now.

In other news, Roman Reigns said that CM Punk wasn't a draw. So much low-hanging fruit right there. The simple fact is that AEW sold out the United Center for a b-show with no matches announced solely on the strength that fans thought CM Punk might show up. If that ain't drawing power, I don't know what is.

I dislike Roman, but the actual qoute was he wasn't a draw like Cena or Orton were at the time.

Agree to disagree, but those are two pretty big centerpieces to be compared against

I dislike Roman, but the actual qoute was he wasn't a draw like Cena or Orton were at the time.

Agree to disagree, but those are two pretty big centerpieces to be compared against

I think one of those two in unarguable - Cena was a bigger drawer. People will point to the Summer of Punk as to when Punk was a bigger drawer, but Orton did a lower level than that, but for a much more sustained period.

They weren't drawing, because they didn't have the opportunity to be pushed down people throats for almost a decade for no legitimate reason, and only get over when someone other than Vince books you. I think people forget how much crap both these guys went through in that company. Punk could have been a star even before Cena was. Remember that last December to Dismember Elimination Chamber? Poor Bobby Lashey, set his career back a decade.

Roman is towing the company line. He's had a silver spoon up his rear for almost a decade and he's still not even half as over as Cena is. The ratings tell a pretty clear story there. Roman hasn't drawn a dime. Cena comes back and ratings jump 20%. He ain't got it.

Those crazy kids over at AEW actually did it! Man, that crowd was crazy for almost 20 minutes straight. Darby Vs. Punk should be awesome. You think AJ is gonna come back?

Honestly i didn't think Kiera would get squashed so fast, they were talking a good bit about her prior. But i am glad Mox let that kid shine a little bit. Was definitely a decent show, if not historical for the long awaited return. You know Fox is probably pissed at McMahon.

Great second episode of Rampage.

That crowd was SUPER hot for Punk! I've been watching wrestling since the early 80's and I can't remember too many reactions like that!

I say it almost every time I comment on AEW... Jade Cargill looks like a million bucks. They are booking her smartly, making her look strong in short, simple matches that don't expose her lack of experience.

I say it almost every time I comment on AEW... Jade Cargill looks like a million bucks. They are booking her smartly, making her look strong in short, simple matches that don't expose her lack of experience.

Yeah, but it's been 8 months now. Let's go somewhere with her. Even if you want to hold off on her in a 1 on 1 match with someone on her level, there are ways around that. Tag matches, trios, triple threats, etc. Even the promo videos aren't really going anywhere interesting. They're not advancing any storyline, they're not entertaining, and they're not telling us anything about Jade's character that we don't already know. Contrast a Jade/ Sterling bit with something from Miro. Now, a Miro video? That ALWAYS grabs my attention.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Matt_Black" data-cite="Matt_Black" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, but it's been 8 months now. Let's go somewhere with her. Even if you want to hold off on her in a 1 on 1 match with someone on her level, there are ways around that. Tag matches, trios, triple threats, etc. Even the promo videos aren't really going anywhere interesting. They're not advancing any storyline, they're not entertaining, and they're not telling us anything about Jade's character that we don't already know. Contrast a Jade/ Sterling bit with something from Miro. Now, a Miro video? That ALWAYS grabs my attention.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree with you there.</p><p> </p><p> They have definitely been booking Miro well after splitting him from Kip. He has looked like a force in the ring and his promos have been intense!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I may or may not have cried when Cult of Personality hit</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> There were plenty in that arena who did. Hell Punk even seemed to. It was a beautiful momwnt that TK played out perfectly!</p>

<p>- The crowd was so loud it almost drowned out Punk's theme! Still a legend on the mic. I'm already invested in the Punk/Darby feud. Ice cream bars!</p><p>

- Private Party vs Jurassic Express was good. Jungle bum lol. It was cool having all the other tag teams ringside.</p><p>

- Hogan vs Jade was an OK squash to showcase a future star.</p><p>

- Garcia vs Mox was short but good. Entertaining pre-match promos. Rampage brawl!</p>

<p>When I was sitting down to tune in, I asked myself what I wanted to see and I came to the conclusion that I wanted Phil Brooks to enter, and I wanted CM Punk to leave, with the "why" taken care of. And I got exactly that. </p><p> </p><p>

I could have done without the Darby Alin portion. I don't want a guy out of the ring for almost 8 years to immediately be shoehorned into a PPV match with barely any build at all. I know it's Punk, but that's asking a whole lot of "Darbs" who's never worked with him before to get a match worthy of that moment out of him. We have no idea what Punk even is in 2021. </p><p> </p><p>

With that said, pretty close to flawless execution. It's great to have professional wrestling's last great folk hero back.</p>