The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

2 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

Note that I said "plays out in the middle of a normal episode". As in, the actual story is interrupted to do this bit to "create controversy". MJF's dispute and return was the story, same as the Summer of Punk except not half as rushed.

And wrestling is absolutely serialized entertainment in the guise of a sport. If it wasn't, then kayfabe and storylines wouldn't matter at all and every promotion would resemble UWFi and Shooto.

You are bending way over backwards here. Fox didn't pay for I Love Lucy in tights. They paid for Live Sports with scripted outcomes and high, year-round content output. That's what the market wants, that what the fans want, why are we resisting? McMahon nostalgia?

12 minutes ago, Makhai said:

You are bending way over backwards here. Fox didn't pay for I Love Lucy in tights. They paid for Live Sports with scripted outcomes and high, year-round content output. That's what the market wants, that what the fans want, why are we resisting? McMahon nostalgia?

I know they have plenty of live sports with scripted outcomes, they air the NFL and the MLB. Seriously though, I have completely lost what point you're making. I started off by agreeing with moot about why AEW's current booking is not working for them because they're leaning too hard into worked shoots. Then I used an example of an actor breaking character mid episode to argue about their contract because the first thing that sprang to mind for some reason was 911 Lone Star, but since half the board is from outside the US I decided to use a more broad example instead. What I managed to forget in the midst of that was how it would read like a shot at the MJF storyline, which is the one thing I think everyone can agree had been done well until Punk's tantrum last night threw everything up in the air. That lapse on my part caused you to think I was criticizing or downplaying MJF, that I get. I also get that plenty of people are in the "The SPORT of professional wrestling" camp.

Where you've lost me is how this whole conversation started with me emphasizing the need to stick to some kind of script and stop the "is it real, is it fake" crap so the audience can suspend their disbelief over the fact that it's all predetermined and now you're throwing that exact point back at me. I have absolutely zero idea what I'm resisting in this scenario or how wanting wrestling to just be normal wrestling for once is McMahon nostalgia when Vince was the greatest enemy to a normal wrestling show.

1 hour ago, The Swanton825 said:

Where you've lost me is how this whole conversation started with me emphasizing the need to stick to some kind of script and stop the "is it real, is it fake" crap so the audience can suspend their disbelief over the fact that it's all predetermined 

And I'm saying that's mostly crap. MJF is the most over thing in the company by a mile because real stuff is salacious, fun, and interesting, and the scripted stuff is predictable, nianceless, one-sided, and boring, by-and-large. 

As long as you can keep it on the road, always run with good material. Whether it's real, or fiction, or something in-between. What is the point of the fiction in the first place? To create animosity between characters that become rivalries and feuds that you can make money selling the idea of watching them beat each other up. 

That's the entire idea here. We're not going to middle earth. Walter White isn't Breaking Bad. This is man-babies in tights. Big Fight Feels. There's no suspension of disbelief, there's no fourth wall. You don't ask the actor Phil Brooks what he thinks the motivation of CM Punk is.

Because that's not what wrestling is. The whole point of wrestling is to be a worked-shoot. That's the whole concept. 

Edited by Makhai

So, I avoided this thread as I hadn't watched All Out until just now after I got home from a family cookout. It seems like mixed reviews on the PPV from you guys. I don't get as critical as you guys but with Dynamite and Rampage getting stale to me, I was worried about how this was gonna turn out. I was extremely impressed with almost all of it, even Zero Hour. 5 hours is long for my attention span. However, it seemed like every time I started to think about how long it has been and how much time is left, there would be some big spot that got me all wound up again. Every match, it seemed, had some memorable moment. I loved when Dax's daughter came out, broke Sonjay's pencil, then proceeded to pin him after Dax knocked him out. If you watch carefully in that scene, Joe and Wardlow were shaking hands in the background. That would be an interesting tag team. But I see FTR and Wardlow possibly going after the Trios Title in the future. They have really good teamwork chemistry. And of course my favorite part of the night was my girl, Toni Storm, winning the Women's Title!!!! And it may be good acting, but she made it look like it meant the world to her. Oh, almost forgot, I could watch Eddie vs. Ishii anytime. Great all out brawl. The respect Eddie showed post match was awesome. I have a feeling Ishii pushed away to set up for a possible long term feud between the 2. I'm an MJF fan so seeing his return was awesome too! However, I don't like the way they had him win the ladder match. I like that he got the chip, just not the way he got it. I think they did it that way to make his return even more memorable by appearing after Punk had just won. Obviously setting up for their inevitable new feud. The only part I didn't really care about at all was Jade vs. Athena. Don't care about either worker. Athena looks like she might have some potential. Not impressed with Jade at all. I think with the talent, or lack there of, that AEW has, they should just stick to the main Women's World and retire the TBS. I have a feeling the network wouldn't like that too much though.

12 hours ago, Makhai said:

And I'm saying that's mostly crap. MJF is the most over thing in the company by a mile because real stuff is salacious, fun, and interesting, and the scripted stuff is predictable, nianceless, one-sided, and boring, by-and-large. 

As long as you can keep it on the road, always run with good material. Whether it's real, or fiction, or something in-between. What is the point of the fiction in the first place? To create animosity between characters that become rivalries and feuds that you can make money selling the idea of watching them beat each other up. 

That's the entire idea here. We're not going to middle earth. Walter White isn't Breaking Bad. This is man-babies in tights. Big Fight Feels. There's no suspension of disbelief, there's no fourth wall. You don't ask the actor Phil Brooks what he thinks the motivation of CM Punk is.

Because that's not what wrestling is. The whole point of wrestling is to be a worked-shoot. That's the whole concept. 

And yet AEW's ratings and buyrates are slipping the more they focus on worked shoots. Clearly the TMZ drama is only getting people invested in reading about the backstage drama and watching Phil Brooks throw a temper tantrum. Reality can work in wrestling because of the lack of a fourth wall, but the more you rely on it without a buffer of kayfabe, the more the thin-skinned man-babies in tights start taking everything said on the show as an attack on them.

Wrestling requires cooperation between everybody in the ring so nobody dies. EZ Money once tried to dump a friend of mine on his head just because he, a trainee mind you, botched a move. That could have easily paralyzed him if someone else hadn't been in the ring to protect him at the last second. If they all hate each other IRL with nobody to keep it under control then that crap will become commonplace. Eventually something is going to give in a match and suddenly all the real drama won't be so fun anymore.

Now if you'll excuse me, AEW's tabloid drama is reminding me why I hate people so I'm gonna go watch some deathmatch wrestling, which is somehow more professional than the #2 company in the USA now.

Edited by The Swanton825
  • Like 1

And yet AEW's ratings and buyrates are slipping the more they focus on worked shoots. Clearly the TMZ drama is only getting people invested in reading about the backstage drama and watching Phil Brooks throw a temper tantrum. Reality can work in wrestling because of the lack of a fourth wall, but the more you rely on it without a buffer of kayfabe, the more the thin-skinned man-babies in tights start taking everything said on the show as an attack on them.

Wrestling requires cooperation between everybody in the ring so nobody dies. EZ Money once tried to dump a friend of mine on his head just because he, a trainee mind you, botched a move. That could have easily paralyzed him if someone else hadn't been in the ring to protect him at the last second. If they all hate each other IRL with nobody to keep it under control then that crap will become commonplace. Eventually something is going to give in a match and suddenly all the real drama won't be so fun anymore.

Now if you'll excuse me, AEW's tabloid drama is reminding me why I hate people so I'm gonna go watch some deathmatch wrestling, which is somehow more professional than the #2 company in the USA now.

I disagree the worked shoots are the problem. Because they aren’t really happening besides the MJF situation. I think AEW is falling due to inconsistent and lazy booking by TK. It’s like a monkey throwing poop at a wall and trying to make art.

Id say thats kind of harsh to TKs booking, he has managed some of the strongest long term booking wrestling fans have had in the US for decades. WWE, TNA/Impact, ROH none have managed anything on the same level.

Hangmans anxiety and lack of self belief leading to the Elite turning on him leading to his eventual rise to the title, Wardlow and MJF, MJFs leaving and return, they're all really good storytelling and built up huge stars that nobody knew a few years back. He builds up a lot of great homegrown talent.

Womens division storylines has been the main weak point for a while but its getting there. We're finally now reaching a point where there are big names that people associate with that storylines hold their own. We've had Hayter and Britt building and now thats happening, Jades star is only rising and shes proved a lot of people wrong (when thinking back to fans immediate response to her). Both the 4 way and TBS title were good PPV womens matches that i was invested in.

Im optimistic about the worked shoots (and things like Kip Sabians year in the box) because it shows they're taking risks, and they do need to do something to get the attention on them in media cycles and stand out as a evolving product or they will end up getting the TNA reputation of being just a lesser WWE. 

Their bigger concern i have is WMD, the political moves they're making as a media company about dropping anything with progressive content while also glomming up CNN and pushing that into MAGA stuff. AEW might get pushed through some radical transformations if it wants to keep on their network and thats going to lose them a fair chunk of their day 1 fans after all the Wrestling is for Everyone beginnings.

the whole MJF saga being a worked shoot with the plane ticket etc, ending with us all in pitch black listening to TK on an answering matchine begging him to come back, was goosebumps down the spine levels of good. 

My personal belief on people losing interest is more to do with Punk. He brought in a lot of fans who see themselves in him and it turned so much of the stream chats hostile because they were so used to hate watching wrestling. So in a matter of weeks the reddit threads went from a mostly positive place to being toxic as hell. Endless September scenario happened and the long term fan culture got washed away at that point and ultimately it didnt end up being for the better. Punk's star has waned, after his big return he hasnt blown any doors off in his matches and is clearly behind a step of a lot of the rest of the roster. But yeah, they're tethered to him now because a chunk of the fans still watching are really only there for Punk.

If it all turns out to be a worked shoot then it has been a truly masterful story to finally get Punk to a place of being the ultra heel of AEW but if not and we havent actually been building to this this whole time, then the other answer is he's actually just been trying to get over with weak dull Mr Chicago Hero blandness and messed up the locker room.

Edited by Kamchatka
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kamchatka said:

Hangmans anxiety and lack of self belief leading to the Elite turning on him leading to his eventual rise to the title, Wardlow and MJF, MJFs leaving and return, they're all really good storytelling and built up huge stars that nobody knew a few years back. He builds up a lot of great homegrown talent.

This was all The Elite getting their boy over. They booked that angle out for 2 years. When they had a lot more pull. When Punk comes in we are back to WWE station-to-station and that is why the booking has gone real stale, real fast. Especially in the main event scene. 

Edited by Makhai

4 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

And yet AEW's ratings and buyrates are slipping the more they focus on worked shoots.

Buyrates are up overall, this will be the best revenue year for the company, and they will finish with 5 100k+ PPVs for the year. Ratings have gone down at the moment, but that has more to do with scattershot booking, and the WWE getting its crap together more than anything they are doing. Raw rating is up like 50% or something like that since HHH took the book. Only so much wrestling people will tolerate. 

Edited by Makhai

2 hours ago, Makhai said:

Buyrates are up overall, this will be the best revenue year for the company, and they will finish with 5 100k+ PPVs for the year. Ratings have gone down at the moment, but that has more to do with scattershot booking, and the WWE getting its crap together more than anything they are doing. Raw rating is up like 50% or something like that since HHH took the book. Only so much wrestling people will tolerate. 

I think the ratings decline is a bit more longer term than you're letting on here. They haven't done a 0.45 since September 2021. They were doing 0.30's in November and December 2021. I think this has been an issue with the company for longer than say, the last PPV cycle, the last 3 months y'know? It's been happening to them for a while. 

The MJF drama gave them a 0.40 for the post-Double or Nothing drama. As soon as it was obvious there was not going to be a follow-up on that particular story, the ratings were straight back to the same level they were before Double or Nothing. The week after, they did something like a 0.28, a positively awful rating. And now, days after MJF's big PPV return, everybody is talking about CM Punk's media scrum and the backstage fight. The audience has moved on.

If Tony Khan booked Austin vs. McMahon, he would have had Steve Austin get work fired by Vince and then he would have pulled him from TV for 3 months to make the story believable. This is wrestling, it's not a prestige HBO drama. People tune in to see the talents they want to see, you put them on the show. People wanted to see MJF and see how the story played out. AEW denied them of this, they stopped caring.

22 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

I think the ratings decline is a bit more longer term than you're letting on here. They haven't done a 0.45 since September 2021. They were doing 0.30's in November and December 2021. I think this has been an issue with the company for longer than say, the last PPV cycle, the last 3 months y'know? It's been happening to them for a while. 

Nielsen_the_gauge_Nov.jpg

Nielsen_thegauge_July2022_PR.jpg

There's a seachange happening. Always goes youngest-to-oldest. .35 is good for first or second right now. 

2 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

It might only be me but CM PunK comes off as the face in this thing against the elite faction.

idk i havent seen much to suggest he could be the good guy here

If he gets allowed back on camera and they put him up against MJF to hand off the title at Grand Slam then MJF is going to be the defacto face and thats saying a lot.

Edited by Kamchatka

25 minutes ago, Kamchatka said:

idk i havent seen much to suggest he could be the good guy here

If he gets allowed back on camera and they put him up against MJF to hand off the title at Grand Slam then MJF is going to be the defacto face and thats saying a lot.

Right now I see mjf as a rotten heel still. He immediately gave the fans the finger. It might take a night but once he gets on the mic people won’t be cheering anymore. The elite has been passive aggressive af since the page feud have tried to manipulate the media against punk. I don’t agree with getting physical but we also still don’t know what happened. I find it very convenient that according to some reports punk and steel were the only ones being physical. So punk threw an unprovoked punch then ace steel started biting randomly and threw a chair? Doesn’t make sense

12 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Right now I see mjf as a rotten heel still. He immediately gave the fans the finger. It might take a night but once he gets on the mic people won’t be cheering anymore. The elite has been passive aggressive af since the page feud have tried to manipulate the media against punk. I don’t agree with getting physical but we also still don’t know what happened. I find it very convenient that according to some reports punk and steel were the only ones being physical. So punk threw an unprovoked punch then ace steel started biting randomly and threw a chair? Doesn’t make sense

all the dirt sheets so far confirmed it wasnt any of the Elite who were talking to them tho. That seems to have been a presumption by Punk. But you cant really get around that Punk already put people on blast in a promo before Mox came out, called out Hangman for no reason other to make him look bad, then after the whole "stand by each other", and then the big company meeting of "no one talk to the press" etc then literally sat down facing ALL the press at a media scrum and put everyone on full blast again, burying the founders, the hero of the company, while sat next to his boss.

If he was high as a kite, or angry from pain it doesnt really matter, thats whatever everyone saw and remembers. No one has seen the Elite do anything in this situation only Punk ranting on it and prior to this we saw him unload on a fan calling him fat over him chanting for Colt Cabana when he was meant to be the big hero. So things are kind of stacking up on him being a super short fused asshole who cant control himself. 

Reports are that even the people who are punks friends are not fully supporting him and wont go so far as to say he was in the right. Huge heat from the locker room, huge heat from fans.

Edited by Kamchatka
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kamchatka said:

all the dirt sheets so far confirmed it wasnt any of the Elite who were talking to them tho. That seems to have been a presumption by Punk. But you cant really get around that Punk already put people on blast in a promo before Mox came out, called out Hangman for no reason other to make him look bad, then after the whole "stand by each other", and then the big company meeting of "no one talk to the press" etc then literally sat down facing ALL the press at a media scrum and put everyone on full blast again, burying the founders, the hero of the company, while sat next to his boss.

If he was high as a kite, or angry from pain it doesnt really matter, thats whatever everyone saw and remembers. No one has seen the Elite do anything in this situation only Punk ranting on it and prior to this we saw him unload on a fan calling him fat when he was meant to be the big hero. So things are kind of stacking up on him being a super short fused asshole who cant control himself. 

Reports are that even the people who are punks friends are not fully supporting him and wont go so far as to say he was in the right. Huge heat from the locker room, huge heat from fans.

All the sheets are all in agreement that this is gonna be a bomb. So I'm guessing this is going to go beyond a suspension, that this will take a while, but at the end Punk is done in AEW.

He's probably throwing a tantrum about his release so he can go sign with WWE. Which would be the saddest possible end, to a sorry, sorry return.  

Edited by Makhai

1 hour ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Do any members of The Elite strike you as the legit fighting type? I wouldn't trust The Bucks to not inadvertently start throwing working punches in a real fight and Omega seems like he'd flail wildly like a toddler throwing a tantrum. Meanwhile Punk's a faux tough guy who likes to talk a big game about his BJJ training and Ace Steel is from the old days when drunk fans routinely picked fight with wrestlers so he'd instinctively fight dirty.

1 hour ago, milamber said:

TK better make the media scrums strictly kayfabe in future. No shooting from talent or journalists.

I don't think that's necessary. kayfabe pressers are completely pointless. And if Punk is gone it's All Friends again. 

Edited by Makhai

Do any members of The Elite strike you as the legit fighting type? I wouldn't trust The Bucks to not inadvertently start throwing working punches in a real fight and Omega seems like he'd flail wildly like a toddler throwing a tantrum. Meanwhile Punk's a faux tough guy who likes to talk a big game about his BJJ training and Ace Steel is from the old days when drunk fans routinely picked fight with wrestlers so he'd instinctively fight dirty.

I mean... It was 3v2 and I don't care who says what, they walked in that lockerroom, they picked that fight. I don't care who swung(or bit) first here. The Elite weren't going into that room for anything other than a confrontation. And if they got the worst of it... LOL! They deserve equal culpability. If Punk goes, so should Hangman, Omega, and The Elite. Otherwise you are rewarding them. 

• Like 1

The point is how likely is it that the only ones who were physical in anyway as coincidentally it’s come out only one side was physical which makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, Kamchatka said:

If he was high as a kite, or angry from pain it doesnt really matter, thats whatever everyone saw and remembers. No one has seen the Elite do anything in this situation only Punk ranting on it and prior to this we saw him unload on a fan calling him fat over him chanting for Colt Cabana when he was meant to be the big hero. So things are kind of stacking up on him being a super short fused asshole who cant control himself. 

The thing is even if ‘they’ aren’t talking directly to the media they usually talk to someone else who talks to the media so it’s not tied to them.

People in the company will talk to each other about a lot of things thats for sure, but we dont know anything about that.

What we do know is The Bucks/Kenny/Hangman didnt go to the journalists to spread bad stories about Punk and Colt to make the company look bad.

Punk however did, and he did it on camera.

I just want to lay out the timeline as far as people have reported:

Hangman cut a promo to Punk when they were in ring using his tweet about Sasha / Naomi leaving WWE (Stand by those in the company etc) as a callback saying he didnt believe Punk did do those things or was good for the company and he was here to defend AEW from him. It was a great back and forth between the two of them and really did a great job to hype a match which was between two faces and going to be Punk winning the World Title. 

Kingston did the same thing, he said Punk was a snake and he would poison AEW, people didnt see it yet but he did and Punks response was to tell Kingston that yeah actually everyone did think he was lazy and a waste back in ROH. They both used real snippets to make the promo battle and feud come alive. 

Punk however took Hangmans attempt at this as a giant slight to do with Colt Cabana (even though Hangman never mentioned anything to do with him) and saw it as Hangman going into business for himself "endangering the first one million dollar take for the company". He saw it as Hangman choosing to fuck everything up and dig at him.

Punk doesnt discuss it with Hangman.

They do the match, Punk gets injured and ALL that time he didnt say anything about it to Hangman

until he came back,

and then Punk comes out to cut a promo, before Mox is to enter through the crowd. He calls out Hangman, knowing hes not there that night so wont come out, and then calls him a coward. Not scripted, no one knew he was going to do it. This was not in aid of a match, there was no match between them, he just buried Hangman by making him look like a loser and a coward. Punk has made it clear he saw that as a receipt for what Hangman did to him by bringing up Colt Cabana (which he didnt do). Mox comes out and while hes coming out, Punk lays down and does starfish movements to mock Mox's entrance also which was.. weird.

The dirtsheets start to ask their sources why Punk called out Hangman and begin to get word about it being about it being a receipt and about Colt and how Colt was going to be dropped from AEW because of Punk and the Bucks had to push to get him moved over to ROH. Again this didnt come from The Elite. Tons of people in the company likely knew this. Fans all had put two and two together ages ago as well.

There's then a the big meeting where its said that workers need to button the heck up and stop talking to the media or painting the company in a bad light.

Punk says hes always open to people talking to him, people should approach him and they can talk it all out.

Everything is now copacetic.

Dynamite happens, Punk the hometown hero comes out, one fan chants COLT CABANA and Punk in an instant trigger blind rage calls him a Fat swearword on the microphone. Which uh, really not great in 2022 for a company that built up a progressive fanbase.

All Out happens. Punk regains the title, beats Mox, first guy to pin him clean in a straight 1v1. Huge rub to Punk.

Punk sits down and immediately does what everyone at The Big Meeting was told they CAN NOT do. He badmouths everyone to the press. He does it on a live mic, on an AEW broadcast, looking directly at the journalists gathered, while sat next to the owner of the company who has to just sit there like an idiot. Live. He isnt asked a question, he specifically uses prior knowledge about a journalist/comedian and forces him to admit he did improv classes with Colt.

He then proceeds to take a dump on Colt Cabana, dump on Colt Cabanas Mum, dumps on Hangman, he dumps on the EVPs. He even told Bryan Alvarez he was angry with him too for saying on Wrestling Observer that Punk setting up Hangman to look like a coward was pretty whack. It was all in all painfully unprofessional and disrespectful. It appears to a lot of onlookers that Punk sees himself as above everyone else in the company, what was said at the meeting doesnt apply to him, he is in the right so hes now allowed to badmouth whoever he wants infront of Tony Khan, its all the other wrestlers who need to not spread bad press to journalists.

and it all stemmed from these perceived slights that Punk has built up and are stuck in his craw and didnt take the time talk out with them. "Come and talk to me, im open", except he never went and talked to them, he just went public on air with it.

Punk came into AEW saying he was excited to work with the new young talent. The next generation.

In his rant he called them children.

And then there was an altercation and we dont yet know the full details except that Punks side are saying the YoungBucks kicked down the door and Ace Steel threw a chair(s) hitting one of the bucks, and pulled Kennys hair and bit him which he states was in defense of his wife.

Edited by Kamchatka
  • Like 1