The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

28 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

But nothing recently happened with Starks that would indicate a switch right?

No, but there's nothing really besides creative input that AEW has to offer over WWE. I guess a lighter schedule, but with a booker as inconsistent as TK, I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving. 

1 hour ago, aXminster said:

TK has a huge problem with striking while the iron is hot.

I remember three situations from the top of my head:
- Thunder Rosa losing at Revolution just to win the championship two weeks later in her hometown. It wasn't the same.
- The Acclaimed losing at All Out just to win the championship at Grand Slam. It wasn't the same.
- Jade Cargill's story being stalled for what it felt like decades while they waited for Statlander to come back from injury and be the one to dethrone her.

Copeland came in with huge hype, pulling in millions of views on Youtube and... he's had one singles match in two months.

Oh, and I forgot about Takeshita. He pinned Omega twice and nothing came out of it. Lately AEW feels like it's on hold. I'm really concerned about The Devil's reveal now, they are dropping the ball a lot.

It's been 2 months already?

I don't follow it as much as I used to, but hadn't even really felt the loss of Edge.

9 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Willow Nightingale won 2 tournaments in 2023, one of which had her going over arguably the most popular woman wrestler in the world. A SMART booker would capitalize on that. AEW has instead decided to feed her to CVS Brand Alexa Bliss. TWICE.

I totally agree with you that they should have pushed Willow more and missed it after her winning the Owen BUT Julia Hart is one of the few homerun success stories of the last months AEW had. Julia Hart is over and improved soooo much, it's insane. Like I said I agree at your point regarding they did nothing with Willow (who is also over with the crowd) but Julia Hart is a success for them and at least they're invested in one of their (fresh for TV) woman.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Willow Nightingale won 2 tournaments in 2023, one of which had her going over arguably the most popular woman wrestler in the world. A SMART booker would capitalize on that. AEW has instead decided to feed her to CVS Brand Alexa Bliss. TWICE.

Julia's character actually works unlike Alexa Bliss who just came across as a Fiend rip off instead of a connected character. Julia feels like a member of House of Black and it works for her. The whole witch vibe matches Julia's personality, but Alexa always felt like she was playing a character. 

• Like 1

- Andrade vs Garcia was my MOTN. Interesting dynamic with Miro & CJ.
- Wayne vs Dalton was good.
- Strong Hangman promo.
- LFI vs Workhorsemen was solid. HoB on the warpath. 2 women's matches at Full Gear [face_shock]
- Roddy Neckstrong vs Darius was solid.
- Danielson, Pac & Hayter at All In would be great. Round Robin Tournament for Danielson!
- Julia vs Willow was good.
- Hobbs squash was solid.
- Archer & The Righteous vs Darby, Sting & Copeland was good.

13 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Julia's character actually works unlike Alexa Bliss who just came across as a Fiend rip off instead of a connected character. Julia feels like a member of House of Black and it works for her. The whole witch vibe matches Julia's personality, but Alexa always felt like she was playing a character. 

Alexa absolutely worked until they fed the Fiend to Orton in that nonsensical Mania match.

6 minutes ago, Dawn said:

Alexa absolutely worked until they fed the Fiend to Orton in that nonsensical Mania match.

Completely disagree, but that's the beauty of wrestling, not everyone is going to agree. Alexa made me cringe everytime she was on screen. I loved the look, but her performances were so bad and randomly giving her superpowers was even worse. And the burnt Fiend thing was just as bad. That whole run was such a turn off for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

Am I the only one getting Brian Pillman vibes from those Dalton Castle promos?

I've always found him a real unique act in AEW, I don't really know if there's one comparison but Pillman isn't a bad one.

The fans got behind him in the match with Nick Wanye, Dalton definitely is getting over in AEW.

I'm glad to see Dalton start to move up the card. He's still losing, but at least Tony has started protecting him in finishes -- and having Dalton challenge for Belts.

Thought his work with Nick Wayne was pretty good.

I was worried for a bit Castle would be enhancement talent. He's way better than job guys like the Outrunners and the Workhorsemen.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 10:28 PM, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

I've always found him a real unique act in AEW, I don't really know if there's one comparison but Pillman isn't a bad one.

The fans got behind him in the match with Nick Wanye, Dalton definitely is getting over in AEW.

I'm glad to see Dalton start to move up the card. He's still losing, but at least Tony has started protecting him in finishes -- and having Dalton challenge for Belts.

I was worried for a bit Castle would be enhancement talent. He's way better than job guys like the Outrunners and the Workhorsemen.

Workhorsemen are a lot of fun imo. Not saying they should be champs any time soon, but they work well together and both are good in ring workers. In a less stacked tag division, they'd probably be mid card instead of job guys.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:28 PM, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

I've always loved wrestlers who can dial up the intensity in their promos (Terry Funk's "Florida Cracker" promo is one of the best of all time for that) and then have their ring work keep up with it. This would be the perfect time to start laying the groundwork for a big push for Dalton.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

I've always loved wrestlers who can dial up the intensity in their promos (Terry Funk's "Florida Cracker" promo is one of the best of all time for that) and then have their ring work keep up with it. This would be the perfect time to start laying the groundwork for a big push for Dalton.

His work has similarities with older LBGTQ+ characters like Adrian Street or Adrian Adonis you don't see a lot anymore, but in way that LBGTQ+ fans (like me) can appreciate.

(While those comparisons often come up from the IWC, Castle largely says his inspirations are stuff like rock music for the record.)

I remember reading somewhere that Dalton usually prefers to work as a face and after seeing Rampage I kind of like him better in that role.

From what I've seen (probably three or four matches), Dalton's workrate is really strong. He's a former amateur standout which you don't often see a lot in wrestling nowadays (here's some proof for his work with Team USA) --  a lot of the great in-ring workers were amateur standouts: Angle, Lesnar and the Steiners notably.

He's one of those guys the more you read up on and watch him the more you think he should be a much bigger star than he is.

(Eddie Guerrero and Magnum TA were also collegiate wrestlers among others)

Between the Acclaimed and Castle (among others), AEW has developed a pretty strong LBGTQ+ fanbase and its a genuine point of strength for the company -- especially since the WWE brand has been negatively associated with homophobia & notable homophobic far-right politicians.

(Though to be fair, Vince McMahon who was in charge when a lot of this negative WWE behavior happened seems soon to leave the company)

• Like 2

Dalton Castle also has a great physique. He looks like a big, strong dude, but in a rugged sort of way, as opposed to the sculpted, possibly on the juice, way.

And we have an announcement for a major signing showing up at the PPV (these NEVER backfire). Let the speculation commence.

The only really big name that who's available that would be worth the hype is Mone/ Banks. I did read somewhere last night that Ospreay was a possibility, which I think would be a let down. "Surprise! All that hype was for a guy you've already seen on AEW TV multiple times already!" Ospreay is also not nearly as big a star as some smart marks would have you believe.

• Like 1

- OrangeHook vs BCC was solid.

- Hangman going in hard on Swerve & Nana.

- MJF is not the devil and I'm starting to think Roddy isn't either.

- Blue vs Velvet was solid except for the clunky finish.

- Strong promo from Miro. Mariah got to meet her Stardom idol.

- Joe vs Not Serpentico was a solid squash.

- Penta & Kommander vs Young Bucks was great. Judas Effect lol.

- Gunns squash was a waste of time. Could have just cut the promo.

- Street fight was my MOTN. The props were fun and the action crazy. PIP camera angles would have made it even better.

- Good promos from MJF & White. Full Gear should end with the Devil laying waste to everyone in the ring.

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

Dalton Castle has a really bad back problem and that's why he's never really gotten beyond his current level in the wrestling business. You can see the brace underneath his trunks in that thumbnail.

Damn, that's a shame. I can't imagine how agonizing it is for him to bump then. Also makes me realize how much of a wimp I am in comparison.

8 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

Damn, that's a shame. I can't imagine how agonizing it is for him to bump then. Also makes me realize how much of a wimp I am in comparison.

He wrestled with an essentially broken back during his ROH title run. He said he offered to drop the belt or vacate it, but those in charge insisted on him continuing to work hurt.