The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think Jericho needs to start really considering retirement. He's starting to deteriorate physically. He's done all there is to do. Put the kids over, have one last hurrah, and call it a day. I'd really like to see both Excalibur and JR booted and just let Tony and Chris have Dynamite long-term. (Or the other way around if they want Tony on TNT) Excalibur can do Dark, and JR can do Rampage. This seems like the best time to split them, if nothing else to save Tony K from wasting more money on things they don't need.<p> </p><p> This 3 man booth has never clicked and has only gotten by on name value, going 4 ways is insane to me. Everyone would be better off getting split into different shows.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I personally enjoy Tony, JR, and Excalibur together quite a lot. JR has botched names of moves and such since the Attitude Era and people only complain now. Tony and JR have chemistry together and a familiarity with each other because of their history. I'm not saying they are the best announce team in history or anything, but they're one of the best right now in my opinion. Taz and Excalibur on Dark though, they are fantastic and my personal favorite announce team right now. I agree that a four man booth is mega over kill though. But like I said in another post, I like every member of the new team, and I'm not sure who I'd remove. I think if Jericho commits to color commentary he'd end up listed among the all time greats with Jesse Ventura, Paul Heyman, and Bobby Heenan. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="aXminster" data-cite="aXminster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>This week's episode was not that good</strong>, I thought they wouldn't get 1m viewers. Good for them. What a statement by Malakai Black. Never seen him before, but they already made him a star.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Other than sloppy Juvi, what wasn't good about the show?</p><p> </p><p> 2.0 and Daniel Garcia had a hell of a debut match against three of AEW's biggest stars. 2.0 in particular showed more fire and personality in that one match than they did in their entire NXT run.</p><p> </p><p> Christian and Blade had a fun match. I don't like the brass knuckle gimmick, but Blade has really become one of the most versatile talents AEW has. He can work with almost anyone on the roster. </p><p> </p><p> Hell, as my post history will indicate, I'm not sold on Kenny and the Bucks, but them becoming a self parody is actually clicking for me in the promo department. I hate Omega using five million V-Triggers and the Bucks stupid BTE trigger move, but their promos are clicking for me.</p><p> </p><p> Miro is a mid card champion and more over than the World champion and gave Lee Johnson some offense without losing his bad ass mystique. Miro is finally being booked to his strengths and it's working. </p><p> </p><p> Leyla and the Bunny was decent enough, but I don't like Bunny doing the DVD since it's Shawn Spears finisher. I am excited to see what Kamille and Leyla can produce though. Kamille is greener than grass, but has a hell of a look and seemingly willing to learn and adapt.</p><p> </p><p> Malakai defeating Cody handedly was awesome and one of my favorite Dynamite moments. The retirement tease was brilliant. The promo was fantastic. Malakai returning to deal out more damage was the icing on the cake.</p><p> </p><p> Not sure why I recapped the whole damn show, but man, AEW is on a roll.</p>

<p>Self-admittedly I'm a pretty huge Elite fan but I think this is some of the best work the Bucks have done since their PWG days. They have always looked their best by embracing their goofy side and not being afraid to look like total jackasses. </p><p> </p><p>

I don't think Kenny will ever top his time in Japan but I think he has been great on the mic since having Don join him and based on reports I think prior to the last few months he was hurt pretty bad, so hopefully he will be healed up to tear the house down when we finally do see the payoff with Adam Page.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rampaaage" data-cite="Rampaaage" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Self-admittedly I'm a pretty huge Elite fan but I think this is some of the best work the Bucks have done since their PWG days. They have always looked their best by embracing their goofy side and not being afraid to look like total jackasses. <p> </p><p> I don't think Kenny will ever top his time in Japan but I think he has been great on the mic since having Don join him and based on reports I think prior to the last few months he was hurt pretty bad, so hopefully he will be healed up to tear the house down when we finally do see the payoff with Adam Page.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm stealing this from a friend of mine, but his idea is if we ever do get these long rumored trio's titles, have Hangman keeep trying to go it alone, then have Punk and Bryan be his friends and they win the titles over the Elite. </p><p> </p><p> Never going to happen but would be fun ha. Just thought it was a fun fantasy booking Idea</p>

It has been noted on Twitter/Reddit that after Hangman picked up his beer, he left down a disc of some sort on the table. Assuming (hoping more so) that this means that there is a plan there between Hangman/Uno/Dos (possibly the rest of Dark Order but canonically they're idiots).

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This Episode was good, and represents what WWE has stopped doing since about 2000<p> </p><p> Actually having a show that moves storylines forward/ sets up new ones, not some dumb hot shot angle they forget about in 3 weeks or 50/50 booking there talent so they can have the same "big matches" 8 times in a row . </p><p> </p><p> and that builds trust, see the Hangman Storyline. Fans know these shows are worth investing in, because they will actually be paid off later. Thus why people care and are turning in. They know there time won't be wasted.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Other than sloppy Juvi, what wasn't good about the show?<p> </p><p> 2.0 and Daniel Garcia had a hell of a debut match against three of AEW's biggest stars. 2.0 in particular showed more fire and personality in that one match than they did in their entire NXT run.</p><p> </p><p> Christian and Blade had a fun match. I don't like the brass knuckle gimmick, but Blade has really become one of the most versatile talents AEW has. He can work with almost anyone on the roster. </p><p> </p><p> Hell, as my post history will indicate, I'm not sold on Kenny and the Bucks, but them becoming a self parody is actually clicking for me in the promo department. I hate Omega using five million V-Triggers and the Bucks stupid BTE trigger move, but their promos are clicking for me.</p><p> </p><p> Miro is a mid card champion and more over than the World champion and gave Lee Johnson some offense without losing his bad ass mystique. Miro is finally being booked to his strengths and it's working. </p><p> </p><p> Leyla and the Bunny was decent enough, but I don't like Bunny doing the DVD since it's Shawn Spears finisher. I am excited to see what Kamille and Leyla can produce though. Kamille is greener than grass, but has a hell of a look and seemingly willing to learn and adapt.</p><p> </p><p> Malakai defeating Cody handedly was awesome and one of my favorite Dynamite moments. The retirement tease was brilliant. The promo was fantastic. Malakai returning to deal out more damage was the icing on the cake.</p><p> </p><p> Not sure why I recapped the whole damn show, but man, AEW is on a roll.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's just a personal opinion. I don't care much about most of the guys featured in this show.</p><p> </p><p> The Jericho match was ok, nothing spectacular. The three guys who faced Kingston, Mox and Darby are completely new to me. There was not even a promo to let me know who they are and what they have done before. They just arrived somehow and got a match with three big names. Darby's suicide dive was great tho. Christian is a guy that I'm just not into. The Hangman storyline is the best thing in professional wrestling in a long time. I do like this version of Miro but I want to see him in an actual feud with a credible opponent. Leyla doesn't do it for me and I don't care one bit about the NWA Women's belt. The main event was great even tho Cody's promo after the match took forever.</p><p> </p><p> Again, it's just down to personal taste. There are some people on the roster that I don't really like and this show was heavily featured by a number of them.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MHero" data-cite="MHero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It has been noted on Twitter/Reddit that after Hangman picked up his beer, he left down a disc of some sort on the table. Assuming (hoping more so) that this means that there is a plan there between Hangman/Uno/Dos (possibly the rest of Dark Order but canonically they're idiots).</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think they are going for Hangman wants to do it his way, and Dark Order respects that. (the "he needs to figure this out, give him space)</p><p> </p><p> where they go from here I'm intrigued by. Not sure if Hangman just starts to pick off elite members like Frankie, goes and does something else, ect</p><p> </p><p> Also he never did say what he has to say to them. I like the idea it's going to basically be like "you know what, I was a crappy friend back then, cost you guys the title match, got to into drinking, all that is right. I'm still here to tell you I'm taking that title, you arragant dicks." </p><p> </p><p> and then we get focused hangman</p><p> </p><p> Also as someone point out too, they kinda had to do this with the Punk thing. </p><p> </p><p> Like, lets say the original plan WAS the payoff at the United Center</p><p> </p><p> if they really have Punk, then NOTHING about that show is going to matter or be talked about other than what happened when "cult of personality" hit</p><p> </p><p> and the hangman - kenny storyline is built so well, don't want to waste the match there. Get punk in and settled into whatever he's doing first</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="aXminster" data-cite="aXminster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's just a personal opinion. I don't care much about most of the guys featured in this show.<p> </p><p> The Jericho match was ok, nothing spectacular. The three guys who faced Kingston, Mox and Darby are completely new to me. There was not even a promo to let me know who they are and what they have done before. They just arrived somehow and got a match with three big names. Darby's suicide dive was great tho. Christian is a guy that I'm just not into. The Hangman storyline is the best thing in professional wrestling in a long time. I do like this version of Miro but I want to see him in an actual feud with a credible opponent. Leyla doesn't do it for me and I don't care one bit about the NWA Women's belt. The main event was great even tho Cody's promo after the match took forever.</p><p> </p><p> Again, it's just down to personal taste. There are some people on the roster that I don't really like and this show was heavily featured by a number of them.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's very fair bud. Sorry if I seemed dismissive of your opinion as that wasn't my intent. I just love talking wrestling and debating and what not. If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a boring place.</p><p> </p><p> That said, WWE released Bronson Reed, Bobby Fish, and Mercedes Martinez today and I will be shocked if they don't end up in AEW at some point. Mercedes has already made a couple appearances in AEW and I was super salty they didn't lock her down. She was one of the main reasons I got into SHIMMER years ago. I haven't watched really since she left. Bronson is still relatively young(32) and a great big man. Would love to see him take on Miro or Archer. </p><p> </p><p> Bobby Fish's age might work against him, but if he's okay with working as a coach and as a worker, he'd be a great hand to have. He's one of the more underrated talents in recent memory in my opinion. He can work with a variety of talent and have good matches and he's a spectacular tag team worker.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think they are going for Hangman wants to do it his way, and Dark Order respects that. (the "he needs to figure this out, give him space)<p> </p><p> where they go from here I'm intrigued by. Not sure if Hangman just starts to pick off elite members like Frankie, goes and does something else, ect</p><p> </p><p> Also he never did say what he has to say to them. I like the idea it's going to basically be like "you know what, I was a crappy friend back then, cost you guys the title match, got to into drinking, all that is right. I'm still here to tell you I'm taking that title, you arragant dicks." </p><p> </p><p> and then we get focused hangman</p><p> </p><p> Also as someone point out too, they kinda had to do this with the Punk thing. </p><p> </p><p> Like, lets say the original plan WAS the payoff at the United Center</p><p> </p><p> if they really have Punk, then NOTHING about that show is going to matter or be talked about other than what happened when "cult of personality" hit</p><p> </p><p> and the hangman - kenny storyline is built so well, don't want to waste the match there. Get punk in and settled into whatever he's doing first</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think this is close to the pin. When Cult of Personality hits, the game changes. Like they'll get actual news coverage when it happens. And if they have something intriguing, or he's got a killer promo left in him. They could do 1.5M viewers for a while. </p><p> </p><p> But I'm honestly wondering if Captain Charisma came in with a contract that guaranteed him a Main Event on PPV. If so, this would be the event to burn that on. Don't think the Hangman story ends until DoN though, at the earliest. But Dave keeps talking about it being booked out "years and years." So we'll see.</p>

They haven’t named Omegas opponent for the Chicago Rampage show, I’m sure it will either be a swerve and it won’t be Punk and the match will be a joke opponent only for Punk to come out.

I still want Page vs Omega but others feel he has more character redemption to go through before he finally wins the big one.

They haven’t named Omegas opponent for the Chicago Rampage show, I’m sure it will either be a swerve and it won’t be Punk and the match will be a joke opponent only for Punk to come out.

I still want Page vs Omega but others feel he has more character redemption to go through before he finally wins the big one.

I just think they don't want to lose that payoff with the storyline

They might pay it off before Double or Nothing too

I can't believe anyone but hangman takes that title off Kenny, but if they really have Punk coming in 10 days and Bryan like 3 weeks after that, prob want to get them settled in before circling back to hangman

just no reason to waste that moment now really

My thing is similar to what's been stated in this thread. The moment Punk/Danielson comes out, nothing else on the show matters, and I don't want Hangman's win to be overshadowed.

- Can't wait for Wardlow's eventual turn. Danhausen sign!

- The Elite vs Dante & Sydal Bros was my MOTN. Crowd popped big for Dante. Don & Christian did well handling the crowd after mentioning Chicago. Impact trying to make their titles more relevant.

- Black and Miro promos were great.

- Garcia vs Darby was good. Best Friends vs HFO was solid. Trios titles when?

- Nyla vs Statlander was solid for such a short match.

- DMD with the crowd in the palm of her hand. At least the women are getting more screen time lately.

- Uno & Grayson vs Good Brothers © was good. Shame about the result.

- At least Paul Wight squashing QT should be fun. I hope Comoroto gets some shine.

- Jericho vs Wardlow was solid. Jericho playing dirty to win was a nice touch. MJF banning Judas lol.

I don't know if it's because I've watched Wardlow since his early days or because I'm a huge Jericho fan, but that match was lack lister to me. Way too many power bombs. It wasn't bad by any means, but as a main event it was less than ideal.

Matt Sydal is super underrated though. The way he just floats between moves and moments is nuts. Martin looks like a great spot monkey right now, but hopefully working with the Sydals will help him improve his overall game.

*Edit*

What happened to that American Top Team dude? He said last week or the week before that he was coming "next week" with back up against Archer and then as far as I can remember, he never came back nor was it mentioned. I very well could have missed it if it was on Dark or Elevation as I haven't watched either in like a month, but it seemed like something they'd deliver on Dynamite.

Also, the final labor of Jericho stipulation is lame as hell. No entrance music and no Judas Effect? It's not like Jericho has other finishers or anything. Makes me think there's going to be some sort of screwy finish so that we get the real blow off at All Out.

AEW released a press release about the debut of Rampage and this bit was interesting.

AEW: RAMPAGE will feature a star-studded commentary team with the legendary Chris Jericho, Taz and Excalibur at the helm each week. They’ll be joined by “The World’s Strongest Man” Mark Henry, who will provide expert analysis, break down strategy and share insight into the minds of wresters via in-depth pre-match interviews.

So it sounds like there isn't actually going to be a four man booth after all.

I don't know if it's because I've watched Wardlow since his early days or because I'm a huge Jericho fan, but that match was lack lister to me. Way too many power bombs. It wasn't bad by any means, but as a main event it was less than ideal.

Matt Sydal is super underrated though. The way he just floats between moves and moments is nuts. Martin looks like a great spot monkey right now, but hopefully working with the Sydals will help him improve his overall game.

*Edit*

What happened to that American Top Team dude? He said last week or the week before that he was coming "next week" with back up against Archer and then as far as I can remember, he never came back nor was it mentioned. I very well could have missed it if it was on Dark or Elevation as I haven't watched either in like a month, but it seemed like something they'd deliver on Dynamite.

Also, the final labor of Jericho stipulation is lame as hell. No entrance music and no Judas Effect? It's not like Jericho has other finishers or anything. Makes me think there's going to be some sort of screwy finish so that we get the real blow off at All Out.

AEW released a press release about the debut of Rampage and this bit was interesting.

So it sounds like there isn't actually going to be a four man booth after all.

On the bolded (and I'm not saying it's worth the payoff) I think the plan is basically the Crowd will sing it and MJF will freak out. I think they are going for a "I can't beleive 20,000 (made up number) fans are singing this song!!!"

I share your concerns that moment might not be worth the stip though lol

The no Judas Effect makes sense since that has been his primary finisher in AEW. I may have herd it wrong but I thought Jericho had to win all 5 matches to get a match with MJF.

The no Judas Effect makes sense since that has been his primary finisher in AEW. I may have herd it wrong but I thought Jericho had to win all 5 matches to get a match with MJF.

I didn't hear no Judas effect, just no Judas or entrance music.

I might be wrong, but MJF seemed to be saying he wanted the energy of the crowd out of it, i didn't hear he couldn't use his finisher.

You heard wrong. MJF said the final labor is MJF and the stip is Jericho can't use his finisher or have entrance music

I didn't hear no Judas effect, just no Judas or entrance music.

I might be wrong, but MJF seemed to be saying he wanted the energy of the crowd out of it, i didn't hear he couldn't use his finisher.

Then you weren't paying enough attention. He definitely said no Judas Effect and no entrance music. I'm sure the promo is on YouTube

I dunno about him leaving completely though because the press release for Rampage says he'll be on commentary every week.

Probably a good idea for him to take some time off in ring wise. I do hope his retirement match is against Lance Storm though.

Jungle Boy said that Christian has been sort of helping him and guiding him. Probably not a full on mentorship role, but along those lines.

He also said Jake Atlas is his best friend and he hopes they get to wrestle each other in AEW now that he's gone from AEW. I was never really impressed with Atlas in WWE, but Jungle Boy says some of his best matches happened with Atlas before AEW so who knows.

Jungle Boy said that Christian has been sort of helping him and guiding him. Probably not a full on mentorship role, but along those lines.

He also said Jake Atlas is his best friend and he hopes they get to wrestle each other in AEW now that he's gone from AEW. I was never really impressed with Atlas in WWE, but Jungle Boy says some of his best matches happened with Atlas before AEW so who knows.

I do wonder how this double title match plays out

If Kenny just wins both, i guess that's fine to cement Christian in the mid to upper mid card as a gate keeper and Kenny as a big pelt for whoever gets him finally (hangman, I hope).

PArt of me wonders if they'll split the matches, but that would kind of mess with the "god of pro wrestling" thing going on if he loses a belt.

MAybe They do it just so Christin can work impact and give Kenny a break? I dunno