The XFL Discussion Thread

Jaysin

Did anyone else catch the start of the XFL today? I was at work when the first game aired, but I was able to watch the Houston Roughnecks vs LA Wildcats game and it was a blast.

I think I'm hitching my wagon to the Roughnecks.

Missed the first game as well because I was watching the Senators/Jets game on NHL Network. But no worries. Not really fond of the idea of a revived XFL. Seems like we've been there, done that and there's no need to revisit a McMahon owned sports league.

Guardians were fantastic today, and the Defenders were just as good yesterday.

I like that they've gone in the complete opposite direction in terms of bashing the NFL. The presentation has been on point, near seamless minus a couple hiccups here and there but it is the first week. And the little rule changes make it feel like an entirely different game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've honestly been pretty impressed. I've liked the inside look at the replay reviews. Something we will never see during an NFL game. As much as the NFL stole from the XFL the first time around, that isn't something we will ever see. I wasn't a fan of hearing the play call just because it seems cheesy. We don't need THAT much inside information. No doubt it's different but I wasn't a fan of that aspect.

I think the officiating in general has been really well done and they are clearly trying to produce quality games that aren't full of slow stoppages. I'm really not that surprised by the quality of the games because these are all legit football players who have some pretty legendary coaches. These are guys who have been NFL backups, guys who went to top schools but weren't drafted, etc.

The XFL would have been the perfect place for someone like Tim Tebow to come out of Florida too. So many other talented players who get cut short because they either don't have the tools the NFL wants or never had enough exposure to even be noticed.

I watch a lot of Mike Golic, I used to love Mike & Mike In The Morning. Now I watch Golic & Wingo in the morning (I work overnights so I get out when the show comes on). Something he said about the XFL on the Friday before the first game, "the XFL is great for fans who want more football and most of all its great for the players who desperately need a place to play."

Maybe I am being too much of a conspiracy nut here, but the main reason why I am not keen on the league is because the league owns all of the teams. What is to stop the XFL from stacking a team to make them really good? What I mean is, what if say Seattle (just using them as an example) were to become the highest rated team and Vince decided to funnel all of the good players to them.

I just cannot bring myself to watch a league where that has a strong possibility of happening. If I am going to watch a league outside of the NFL, I would rather watch the CFL.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47304" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Maybe I am being too much of a conspiracy nut here, but the main reason why I am not keen on the league is because the league owns all of the teams. What is to stop the XFL from stacking a team to make them really good? What I mean is, what if say Seattle (just using them as an example) were to become the highest rated team and Vince decided to funnel all of the good players to them.<p> </p><p> I just cannot bring myself to watch a league where that has a strong possibility of happening. If I am going to watch a league outside of the NFL, I would rather watch the CFL.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The league, nor Vince decide where players go. The head coach/GM does. Even then each team has a $4 million salary cap. So this isn't really plausible.</p>

The league, nor Vince decide where players go. The head coach/GM does. Even then each team has a $4 million salary cap. So this isn't really plausible.

Anything is plausible. I did not think anyone would outright cheat to win the World Series and yet it happened twice in a row. Vince owns the league he could put pressure on a GM if he wanted to. Telling them not to draft so and so.

• 4 months later...

What was the first?

Also, I think he could probably make this work. Everyone associates Vince with wrestling, so anything he does in the mainstream carries that same 'stink.'

We're not going to see anything from this until some time next year, at the earliest, so I'll try to keep up with it if/when it gets off the ground.

What was the first?

Also, I think he could probably make this work. Everyone associates Vince with wrestling, so anything he does in the mainstream carries that same 'stink.'

We're not going to see anything from this until some time next year, at the earliest, so I'll try to keep up with it if/when it gets off the ground.

Nah, this is just Vince being Vince. He doesn't want to pay people, so he's pulling a Trump.

The weird thing about the sale is that he bought the league with his ex-wife. Good for them that they still have a good enough relationship that they can work together and all, but it is odd to me.:D

I don't know. I mean I hope it does because I like the Rock, but history has proven time and time again that a second league does not work (I am overlooking the CFL which is a slightly different beast, though enjoyable to watch.). Just off the top of my head without looking anything up, there was the AFL, AAFC (Which gave us the Browns and 49ers), WFL, the original XFL, the CFL's expansion into the States, USFL. I think there were others but I would have to look that up, my point being even though the NFL has been challenged the most, none of them ever really work in the long run.

WWE. I don't think it would've gone bankrupt, but they wouldn't be where they are now without The Rock and Austin reviving business.

From all accounts, at that time if I remember correctly (Which is a big if, my memory is not what it used to be) I think they were on the verge of bankruptcy. That terrible contract that Bret Hart signed did not help matters which is why Vince let him sign with WCW. Though you are absolutely right the Rock and Austin did bring it back.

It always annoyed me when Vince would do those videos where he would say with anger, I am paraphrasing here, in regards to WCW, "They tried to put me out of business!" This is coming from the same guy who ten years prior to that, sang a song on an album about putting his competitors out of business. Sorry, Vince, I would have had no sympathy for you if you had ended up going out of business.

The weird thing about the sale is that he bought the league with his ex-wife. Good for them that they still have a good enough relationship that they can work together and all, but it is odd to me.:D

She's been his business manager his entire career.