Official WreSpi2 CPUvsCPU Tournament

this looks pretty cool...do the match ratings have any effect on overness or are they just cosmetic? is a wrestler who is 3-0 with E ratings better off than someone who's 1-1-1 with B ratings?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[B]Round One: Dan Stone Jr. vs Tadiyuki Kikkawa[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Dan Stone Jr[/I] is a brilliant technical wrestler, who is also a really tough fighter who can take a beating. He is extremely tough to beat. His attack is usually targetted toward the opponent's ankle, so that he can apply his trademark Stone Ankle Stretch finisher for the submission. His strategy will be to ground Kikkawa. [I]Tadiyuki Kikkawa[/I], BHOTWG's kingpin, is all about impact - he hits the ring and just tries to rip the opponent apart with animal fury. He'll be in his element against the smaller Stone, and will be looking to batter him with forearms and powerful slams. As long as Kikkawa is upright, Dan will be at a huge disadvantage. [B]The Match[/B] Probably the biggest match of the first round begins well for the smaller man, as Dan Stone brilliantly outwrestles Kikkawa, keeping him totally off balance for the few minutes with a combination of takedowns and headlocks. Every time Kikkawa is down to the mat, Stone looks to hurt the legs - ankle stomps and knee bars being his favourites. Kikkawa makes a comeback after a few minutes of this, and it's his classic attack pattern; Kikkawa Forearms, headbutts and punches to soften him up, then back him into a corner and explode with elbows. Dan uses his technical skills to block a lot of them though, and does well to survive the attack without taking too much damage. Stone makes a comeback, again using his technique - he slips out of a suplex attempt, and once again has Tadiyuki down. What follows is a five minute master-class in working a limb; single leg grapevines, single leg boston crabs, and his favourite Stone Ankle Barrage (rapid fire stomps to the ankle). The Japanese powerhouse makes a big comeback by knocking Stone onto the apron with a brutal forearm shot, but is now limping thanks to the damage to his leg. Dan tries to take advantage once again and goes for the deadly Stone Ankle Stretch, but Kikkawa rolls through and comes up with a forearm...and hits a Tiger Bomb out of nowhere! One....Two....Kick Out! A really close fall there, just after the 15:00 mark, that would have been a shock as Dan had been in control for a long period up until then. Sensing the Stone is hurt, Tadiyuki moves in for the kill. A series of forearm shots and a High knee put the Canadian down. Kikkawa signals for his Kikkawa Lariat finisher, but the taunt costs him, as it gives Dan time to come back with a dropkick to the knee. Dan irish whips him, but Tadiyuki comes back with a move out of nowhere....(you know you all want to shout it along with me)...KIKKKKKAAAWWWAAAAA LAAAAARRRRRRIIIIAAAAATTTTTTT!! One, Two, Thre....shoulder up! :eek: Dan Stone kicks out of the Kikkawa Lariat, and the fans are shocked. Tadiyuki Kikkawa is not happy, and picks up the dazed Dan Stone. He sets up and hits a Leaping Piledriver. Dan may be out. Cover: one, two, thr....for the second time in a row, Dan Stone Jr. kicks out at the very last second! He gets picked up, and here comes the Kikkawa Driver for the finish...but Dan slips out the back and goes for the Dragon Sleeper! Kikkawa blocks it, but then gets put down with a trip. Dan goes for the Ankle Stretch again, but the BHOTWG man slips out, goes up top, and hits the Kikkawa Flying Knee. The powerhouse is now even using the top turnbuckle to launch attacks, he is throwing everything at the tough Canadian, but he still can't get the win. Dan gets back up, but gets knocked to the apron by a forearm. He gets back in, and the same thing happens. A third time...and this time Stone reverses, and it's Kikkawa who goes out. Stone brings him back in and goes for the Dragon Sleeper, but Kikkawa slips out. He goes for a back suplex, but Dan turns it into a bulldog. Stone Ankle Barrage, and Kikkawa's leg is now virtually useless, he can barely walk. Stone goes for the Ankle Stretch, but Kikkawa rolls through with the momentum, comes back to his feet....Kikkawa Lariat! Dan gets caught again, and it's the same situation as with the Tiger Bomb, Kikkawa countered the Ankle Stretch straight into the Lariat. One, Two, ...... Three. It took nearly every big move in his arsenal, but Tadiyuki Kikkawa picks up a hard fought win to advance in the tournament. His leg took incredible damage though, and he could barely stand at the end. Stone showed incredible resilience, and it was the high drama that that caused that led to the tournament having its first A* match, and the longest at just ten seconds shy of the half hour mark. Is Kikkawa now the favourite to win the entire tournament? [B]Winner[/B]: Tadiyuki Kikkawa (pinfall -> Kikkawa Lariat) [B]Time[/B]: 29:50 [B]Grade[/B]: A*

[QUOTE=dime]this looks pretty cool...do the match ratings have any effect on overness or are they just cosmetic? is a wrestler who is 3-0 with E ratings better off than someone who's 1-1-1 with B ratings?[/QUOTE] Purely cosmetic, for the player's benefit; WS2 is set in a shoot-based world, so everything is about the win, the manner in which you do it is really irrelevant, just like in real fighting.

[B]Round One: Steve Frehley vs Elemental II[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]"The Dark Destroyer" Steve Frehley[/I] only has one mode - full on attack. He hits the ring, he throws people around, then he nails them with a big move, he gets the pin. That's his M.O., and it doesn't change much. If anyone has benefitted from the results so far, it's him - the two guys he would struggle to throw were Bruce The Giant and Dread, and they're both gone. [I]Elemental II[/I]....well, let's face it, his goal is not to avoid defeat in this match, it's to not die. The only lightweight in the tournament, he needed desperately to avoid any of the monsters if he had any hope of progressing, and nobody enjoys crushing lightweights that Frehley. Let's hope it's short, for Elemental's sake. [B]The Match[/B] Apparently having read my last sentence, Steve Frehley started like a man possessed, battering Elemental from corner to corner without mercy. It was six minutes in before Elemental managed his first offensive move...a headlock. An arm wringer and a surfboard followed, but really it was just delaying the inevitable. Steve got back to his feet, and scored with two Frehley Suplex Throws (twisting vertical suplex into a slam) and then sent Elemental into orbit with the Launch Pad Suplex (high release overhead belly to belly suplex). Elemental managed to fight back with another two headlock spots, a surfboard, and even a nice knife edge chop...but his fate was sealed with he missed a Slingshot Senton Bomb. The Dark Destroyer picked him up, hit two running shoulder blocks, then used the Frehley's Comet (Tornado Face Slam \ F5) before the academic pinfall at 12:00. Elemental never really stood a chance, Frehley is just too strong and impactful, and didn't even have to break out any of his really big moves other than the Comet. Can Steve Frehley win the tournament? He is an outsider, but if he can keep drawing guys smaller than him, his natural power and fast-paced style may lead him to the final. Could he survive against guys who can match him for power, like Bubb or Kikkawa? The next round will tell, because he's in it. Steve Frehley advances. [B]Winner[/B]: Steve Frehley (pinfall -> Frehley's Comet) [B]Time[/B]: 12:00 [B]Grade[/B]: F

KIKKKKKAAAWWWAAAAA LAAAAARRRRRRIIIIAAAAATTTTTTT!! Had to be said really :) Seeing who's went through so far I'd probably pick Kikkawa to go all the way. But there are still some awesome first round matches to go and I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how Hughes vs Garner works out. I get the feeling that Runaway Train will be staying in the tournament for a while yet to keep the big guys in the event but its gonna be fun fun fun all the way. Nice to hear so much about how the matches work out and the different crowd types make things interesting as different styles of matches will be good or bad depending on where you are. I like that. Derek B

Brucies gone! Brucies gone! The first day WreSpi 2 comes out I'm doing the same thing as you Adam, just with lower workers. This is really interesting and right now the most interesting thing on this forum right now in my opinion. I want to see who wins, keep going. Oh yes, before I forget - GO KIKKAWAAAAAAAAAAA~!

[B]Round One: Mito Miwa vs Eisaku Kunomasu[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]"The Pride Warrior" Mito Miwa[/I] is one of the PGHW stars, and is brilliant strong style competitor. Known for his varied arsenal and great resilience, he'll be looking to barrage his opponent into defeat. His main moves are his Pride Bomber (twisting elbow strike) and his wide range of Amphora Clutch (his name for a full nelson set up) moves. [I]Eisaku Kunomasu[/I], "The Lord Of Strong Style", is renowned for his technical ability, especially his ability to work an arm like nobody else. His strategy will be to target the arm of Miwa, in preparation for his Kunomasu Vice submission hold finisher. [B]The Match[/B] The match began slowly, with both men showing a lot of respect for the other, the match consisting of occasional forearm shots and kicks combined with headlocks. The first turning point in the match came at the 6:00 mark, when Kunomasu floored Miwa and used his brutal Kunomasu Knee Drives (repeated knees to the hammerlocked arm of the grounded opponent) several times in succession to hurt the arm. The proved to be the start of a long stretch of dominance for Eisaku, as he took Mito down several times with suplex variations, and each time would go straight back to the arm. By the 12:00 mark, Miwa had taken at least twelve Knee Drives, and his arm was seriously damaged. Having taken an absolute ass-kicking for almost ten minutes, Mito finally came back with a seated dropkick to the face, two big back suplexes, and finally his trademark Amphora Clutch Bomb (full nelson bomb). Kunomasu was soon back in control after avoiding a senton, rallying with two big suplexes, some hammerlock kicks (kicks to the arm of a standing opponent who is in a hammerlock), and three more Knee Drives. At 15:20 he attempted his first Kunomasu Vice, only for Miwa to block it. With Miwa now in Danger energy levels and Kunomasu still on Medium, "The Pride Warrior" came back with a huge rally; several suplexes, and an absolute barrage of forearms, managing to take the stunned Kunomasu all the way to Danger levels. With momentum on his side for the first time, Miwa went for his Amphora Clutch Stretch (rear naked full nelson), only for Kunomasu to show his awesome technical skills by slipping out the back and applying the Kunomasu Vice out of nowhere for the unescapable submission. A poor match between two men who can usually be relied upon to steal any show, Miwa never really got into the match until the final two minutes, Kunomasu was dominant. Miwa can usually prolong a match by kicking out of several finishers, but the Kunomasu Vice is almost certain defeat once applied, and even The Pride Warrior couldn't escape. Eisaku Kunomasu advances to the next round. [B]Winner[/B]: Eisaku Kunomasu (submission -> Kunomasu Vice) [B]Time[/B]: 17:50 [B]Grade[/B]: F

[B]Round One: Tommy Cornell vs Sam Keith[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]"Rough Justice" Tommy Cornell[/I] is one of the biggest stars in the world, both as a great wrestler and as the owner of TCW. With one of the finest all-round games of any wrestler in the tournament, he should be able to adapt to anything thrown at him. [I]Sam Keith[/I] is a crafty veteran, and multi-time world champion. His speciality is technical wrestling, and he'll be looking to use those skills to his advantage. He'll be trying to hook his famous Proton Lock (bridging Scorpion Deathlock) to get the win. [B]The Match[/B] We begin with an exchange of holds and counter holds, both men showing their high quality technique. Cornell is the first to take a clear lead, using an eye gouge and low blow to take control at the five minute mark. Sam Keith makes his comeback soon after, using his trademark Side Headlock Switch and some Arm Wringers, but walks right into a DDT before he can get too much momentum. The next few minutes saw Tommy take firm control, using cheating tactics - a low blow at 10:20, then another just thirty seconds later, really taking it out of Keith. The referee was far from happy though, and warned Cornell both times. Cornell pressed his advantage with some suplexes, and then at the sixteen minute mark went on a serious run of attempts to finish the match - Keith being forced to block a Texas Deathlock, a Rough Ride (slingshot face crusher), a Double Chicken Wing, and a Reverse Underhook Driver, before also having to break free from the Guilt Trip (judo choke sleeper). Seemingly frustrated at Keith's resilience, Cornell hit yet another low blow, and this was too much for the referee who called for the bell. [B]Winner[/B]: Sam Keith (disqualification) [B]Time[/B]: 18:20 [B]Grade[/B]: F [B]Executive Decision[/B] A quick check of the code revealed a bug (this is being written using an alpha copy), as Cornell should not have got himself DQed when he was at such an advantage. After fixing it, it was decided to hold a rematch, given that TC was so far ahead when the bug appeared. [B]The Rematch[/B] Apparently annoyed at not advancing via DQ, Sam Keith absolutely stormed into this match, completely dominating the first 5 minutes with uncharacteristic brawling tactics, punching away at Cornell. Tommy made a brief comeback with his Blade Chop (double handed martial arts chop) and some European Uppercuts, but Sam was straight back on the attack, suplexing his opponent before pounding away with several mounted punches. As we reach the 10:00 mark, Sam Keith is massively in the lead, Rough Justice has barely had any offence at all. The TCW owner finally makes a comeback after slipping out of a leg grapevine, scoring with a DDT, a splash, and a high knee, only to walk into a series of punches and a suplex from Keith. Despite clearly having hurt his neck from the suplex, Cornell rallies again, using another splash, a hammerlock kick, and a high knee. In some payback, he then mounts Keith and uses repeated elbow smashes to the face to inflict some damage. Sam avoids a clothesline and goes for a fisherman's suplex, only for Tommy "I'm apparently going to cheat my way to the final" Cornell to use an eye gouge to counter it. He attempts the Rough Ride, but Keith blocks it, and fires back with his trademark Neutron Plex (Head and Arm Suplex). This gets a two count, and is followed up by a fisherman's suplex for an incredibly close fall, with some of the fans thinking the ref had actually reached three. Sam picks up TC and goes for an S.T.O. to set up the Proton Lock, but Cornell slips out, spins Keith around, and nails him with a Uranage Slam. That is enough to put the veteran down and out, as one three count later and Cornell is into the next round. A much better match than the first, thanks to Sam Keith's more aggressive attack and a couple of near falls, it got a solid C rating. Cornell is going to be a dangerous person to face in the next round, although due to his size he'd probably be one of the better opponent's for one of the big guys like BLZ Bubb. [B]Winner[/B]: Tommy Cornell (pinfall -> Uranage) [B]Time[/B]: 19:40 [B]Grade[/B]: C

[B]Round One: Enygma vs Bryan Vessey[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Enygma[/I] is a decent all-rounder, but is one of the weaker in-ring competitors in the tournament. His strategy will be to stay one step-ahead of his bigger opponent, and to work the legs in preparation for his Enygma Variation (scissored ankle lock). [I]Bryan Vessey[/I] is a wrestling machine who will suplex anything that comes his way. He's not the most over worker in the tournament, but could be the best in terms of all-round skills. [B]The Match[/B] The first five minutes didn't see the expected explosion of attack from Bryan Vessey, but was instead an even wrestling match; Enygma used takedowns to put Bryan on the mat and followed up with knee bars and grapevines, while Vessey tried to keep it upright with forearm strikes and kicks. Enygma was the first to put together a run of moves, taking control with two slingshot senton bomb, several dropkicks, and many single leg grapevines as he continued to target the legs. Vessey tried to come back with some suplexes, but Enygma slipped out and went back on the attack, hitting a dropkick and a splash. With Vessey down, Enygma got violent and pummeled him with a series of brutal mounted punches, and at the very first opportunity sat back and grabbed the Enygma Variation for the tap out. An incredibly disappointing display from Bryan Vessey, who was expected to be one of the stars of the tournament; he managed less than 30% of the total offence, and didn't even get his opponent out of High energy levels. Enygma, who was one of the long-shots for the tournament, didn't even do anything spectacular, he just stung together enough unspectacular moves to hurt Vessey and make the Enygma Variation a possiblity. He advances. [B]Winner[/B]: Enygma (submission -> Enygma Variation) [B]Time[/B]: 14:00 [B]Grade[/B]: F

[B]Round One: Raul Hughes vs Buddy Garner[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Raul Hughes[/I] is nicknamed the "Demolition Expert", which sums him up very well. He is a former shoot fighter, who is all about raw punching power. That is also his weakness though, as he has very little other than punches in his arsenal, and so is very one dimensional. [I]Buddy Garner[/I] is also a shoot fighter, but while he can exchange killer strikes, he is at home on the mat, being one of the premier submission fighters in the world. He will be looking to ground Raul and apply the Achilles Tendon Hold for the win. [B]The Match[/B] The match was predictable, but exciting nonetheless. The first twenty minutes was entirely taken up by two forms of attack. From Raul we had a barrage of punches, as he tried to KO Garner. From Garner we had some kicks, and some of his trademark quick takedowns from where he could work the legs. Garner did his best to stay out of punching range, Hughes did his best to stay upright, and we were left with a stalemate of sorts for most of the match. Things kicked up a gear after the 20:00 mark. Raul started using his trademark Ground-N-Pound technique, which allowed him to storm towards what looked like victory - his first attempt at his killer Left Hook missed though, and Buddy Garner came straight back, taking him down and pounding him right back. Finally we had a breakthrough, as Garner suddenly hit a massive knee lift, and locked on his Achilles Tendon Hold finisher. To the surprise of everyone, Hughes survived, unwilling to tap out. Buddy tried to force the advantage, but Hughes came back, peppering him with jabs. With Garner starting to show the effects of the battering he'd taken to the head, he got caught out of nowhere with a Left Hook, and that was enough to knock him out for the three count. It wasn't a pretty match, and featured virtually no actual wrestling, but it exploded with drama at the end, and got a respectable C+ rating. Raul Hughes will be more severely tested when he fights someone who can throw him around the ring a bit, like BLZ Bubb or Runaway Train, but for now he is safely in the next round. [B]Winner[/B]: Raul Hughes (pinfall -> Demolition Left Hook) [B]Time[/B]: 28:50 [B]Grade[/B]: C+

[B]Round One: Christian Faith vs Sean McFly[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Christian Faith[/I] is a very experienced heavyweight, who is a rugged fighter. He will be looking to brawl his way through this match, and use either his Leap Of Faith (avalanche) or Test Of Faith (sleeper) finishers for the win. [I]Sean McFly[/I] is a fantastic all-rounder, who can fight any style, any time. He'll probably try to use his speed and technique to baffle Faith, rather than try to go toe-to-toe. [B]The Match[/B] The first several minutes of the match were very even, with Sean using headlocks and arm bars to counter Faith's punches and kicks. The first opening didn't arrive until almost the ten minute mark, when Faith ducked his head too soon and got DDTed. That led to McFly building his advantage for a few minutes. Faith made a comeback at 14:00, hitting some suplexes, a fist drop, and a big legdop off the ropes. This tied both athletes on Medium energy, although McFly was still far ahead in terms of damage inflicted. Sean was soon back on the attack, hitting a belly to belly and following up with his trademark snap legdrop. He got caught when he went up top for a flying legdrop though, and Faith brought him crashing down to the mat. McFly was soon back up though, hitting another DDT, but his attempted Scorpion Deathlock was broken. Christian then showed why he is a legend, and despite being massively behind he made a supreme effort to come back, hitting a front slam, several Faith Hammers (bionic elbows), a slam, three big splashes, and then unloading with several mounted punches. As we reached 20:00, that offensive flurry had pulled him right back into the match. Unfortunately, his predictable attack let him down - as he went for yet another set of mounted punches, McFly used his speed to slip out. Despite having no momentum and having been on the defence for about ten minute, McFly managed to hit a desparation Face Crusher out of nowhere, and Faith was stunned long enough to fall to a three count. A decent match, it would have been rated higher had McFly been in control longer, instead the match centered a lot around Faith's more 1980's style of attack. McFly will be pleased that he was able to get Faith down to Danger so quickly, but will be worried that the veteran managed to come back so easily at the end. Sean McFly advances. [B]Winner[/B]: Sean McFly (pinfall -> Face Crusher) [B]Time[/B]: 20:50 [B]Grade[/B]: F

[B]Round One: Liberty vs Runaway Train[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Liberty[/I] is a TCW star, who gets by on the fact that he can take a beating and keep going, and is a decent brawler. In terms of technique and varied attack, he is one of the weaker workers in the tournament. His popularity should help him though. [I]Runaway Train[/I] is one of the favourites for the tournament; big, strong, aggressive - he streamrollers through opponents. He will be very difficult to stop, particularly if he manages to get his momentum up, as then he can take away massive chunks of energy in short spaces of time. [B]The Match[/B] Runaway Train tried to make his traditional dominating start to a match, but was left totally on the back foot as Liberty arrived like a house on fire, hitting big left hands, headbutts and the occasional suplex. Train was left to make a cheap comeback using hair pulls and eye gouges, but it did set him up to his three overhead fallaway slams, a front slam, a high knee, and several elbow drops, allowing him to take a commanding lead by the 15:00 mark. Before RT could get too comfy, Liberty was back, hitting two running knee lifts, a big elbow drop, and a couple of splashes. A third one missed though, leaving Train to hit his Locomotion Backbreakers (three backbreakers in a row), a few more slams, and a big DDT. Yet again the momentum switched though, as Liberty came firing right back again with a neckbreaker, a back suplex and an array of punches... ...only for the momentum of the match to shift for about the tenth time, as Train broke out more Locomotion Backbreakers, more slams, and a high legdrop. He missed a splash though, and got suplexed, knee lifted, and that set up Liberty to hit a rare top rope move - a flying high cross body for a very close fall, Runaway Train kicking out just before the three. Liberty then went for the the finish, but his two attempts at the Liberation Slam (Uranage) were both blocked, and Train whipped him to the corner where he hit the Train Of Pain (avalanche into a spinebuster) for a two-and-a-half count. Liberty blocked RT's attempt at the Train Wreck (spinning elevated powerbomb), and gave him a taste of his own medicine by powerbombing Train, not once, but twice! Liberty then countered an avalanche attempt with a clothesline, and went to the top rope for the second time, this time unleashing a flying clothesline from the top turnbuckle for a two count. His third attempt at the Liberation Slam was blocked, so he hit another powerbomb, and then his third top rope move of the day - a diving headbutt for a close fall. Liberty is not known for his aerial attacks, he's really pulling out all the stops. Liberty irish whips Train, but the unfortunate referee gets knocked down and out by accident. Another Liberation Slam is blocked, but Train fails to capitalise when his Train Of Pain attempt sees him miss and run into the turnbuckles. He gets powerbomb as he staggers out, then hit with a flying splash from the top rope by Liberty, who apparently has his flying boots on tonight. Liberty then finally hits the Liberation Slam on the big guy, but the referee is still down, so there is no pinfall. Liberty hits a powerbomb as the referee recovers, but his flying headbutt from the top rope misses, and as we reach 40:00 of this great match, we have two exhausted wrestlers. Liberty has hit just about every move in his arsenal but can't finish his opponent, while Runaway Train has taken an absolute ass-whipping, can barely walk because his body is so battered, and is lucky to still be in the match. Liberty hits a DDT, goes up yet again...and hits another diving headbutt. This one gets a two count. Train finally makes a comeback, hitting a series of punches, then trying to apply an Over Shoulder Backbreaker on the TCW man. Liberty counters by twisting while in the air though, slips out the back, and hits a big Reverse DDT on the way down. That's the last finisher he had left, and it is enough, as Train stays down for the three count. A good win for Liberty, who showed he has enough heart to take on even a monster like Runaway Train, and will be a tough opponent in the next round. Train couldn't keep up with Liberty's speed and ferocious attack, and left the match in really bad physical shape. It's a case of role reversal for the big man, as normally he's the one who dishes out the brutal beatings. With all the close calls and drama of the match, we get an A grade in the end, which is fully justified as it was a terrific contest. At nearly 45:00 it was also a real marathon for two guys not known for their stamina normally. [B]Winner[/B]: Liberty (pinfall -> Reverse DDT) [B]Time[/B]: 42:20 [B]Grade[/B]: A

[B]First Round Recap[/B] Shuji Inukai defeated Dread (pinfall -> Untouchable Lariat, 14:50) BLZ Bubb defeated Nemesis (pinfall -> Hades Bomb, 15:10) Haruki Kudo defeated Remo Richardson (pinfall -> Kudo Kutter, 16:00) Skull DeBones defeated Yoshimi Mushashibo (pinfall -> Skull Krusher, 23:50) Cliff Wilson defeated Jeremy Stone (pinfall -> Descent Into Hell, 17:00) Steve DeColt defeated Kinnoji Horri (pinfall -> DeColt Stampede, 17:50) Nobuatsu Tatsuko defeated Bruce The Giant (pinfall -> Finishing Sprint Forearm, 20:30) Eisaku Hoshino defeated Angry Gilmore (pinfall -> Godzilla Plunge, 15:30) Tadiyuki Kikkawa defeated Dan Stone Jr (pinfall -> Kikkawa Lariat, 29:50) Steve Frehley defeated Elemental II (pinfall -> Frehley's Comet, 12:00) Eisaku Kunomasu defeated Mito Miwa (submission -> Kunomasu Vice, 17:50) Tommy Cornell defeated Sam Keith (pinfall -> Uranage, 19:40) Enygma defeated Bryan Vessey (submission -> Enygma Variation, 14:00) Raul Hughes defeated Buddy Garner (pinfall -> Demolition Left Hook, 28:50) Sean McFly defeated Christian Faith (pinfall -> Face Crusher, 20:50) Liberty defeated Runaway Train (pinfall -> Reverse DDT, 42:20)

[B]Round Two Draw[/B] BLZ Bubb vs. Raul Hughes Eisaku Hoshino vs. Sean McFly Steve DeColt vs. Shuji Inukai Skull DeBones vs. Liberty Cliff Wilson vs. Tommy Cornell Eisaku Kunomasu vs. Steve Frehley Haruki Kudo vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko Tadiyuki Kikkawa vs. Enygma

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland]In terms of technique and varied attack, he is one of the weaker workers in the tournament. His popularity should help him though. [/QUOTE] popularity will help him...is this referring to fighting spirit or am I reading way too much into this?

[B]Round Two Draw[/B] [B]BLZ Bubb[/B] vs. Raul Hughes [B]Eisaku Hoshino[/B] vs. Sean McFly [B]Steve DeColt[/B] vs. Shuji Inukai Skull DeBones vs. [B]Liberty[/B] Cliff Wilson vs. [B]Tommy Cornell[/B] [B]Eisaku Kunomasu[/B] vs. Steve Frehley Haruki Kudo vs. [B]Nobuatsu Tatsuko[/B] [B]Tadiyuki Kikkawa[/B] vs. Enygma

[B]BLZ Bubb[/B] vs. Raul Hughes [B]Eisaku Hoshino[/B] vs. Sean McFly Steve DeColt vs. [B]Shuji Inukai[/B] [B]Skull DeBones[/B] vs. Liberty Cliff Wilson vs. [B]Tommy Cornell [/B] [B]Eisaku Kunomasu[/B] vs. Steve Frehley [B]Haruki Kudo[/B] vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko [B]Tadiyuki Kikkawa[/B] vs. Enygma

[b][u]Derek B's Wild Round Two Predictions[/u][/b] [b]BLZ Bubb[/b] vs. Raul Hughes Eisaku Hoshino vs. [b]Sean McFly[/b] Steve DeColt vs. [b]Shuji Inukai[/b] [b]Skull DeBones[/b] vs. Liberty Cliff Wilson vs. [b]Tommy Cornell[/b] [b]Eisaku Kunomasu[/b] vs. Steve Frehley Haruki Kudo vs. [b]Nobuatsu Tatsuko[/b] - [i]match of the round[/i] [b]Tadiyuki Kikkawa[/b] vs. Enygma

[B]Round Two: BLZ Bubb vs Raul Hughes[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]BLZ Bubb[/I] has a big size and power advantage over his opponent, but has the weakness that he's not great at blocking moves, and so can expect to take many, many punches during the match. [I]Raul Hughes[/I] was probably lucky to avoid someone who could take him down to the mat and outwrestle him, as that would be his weakness. While he cannot match Bubb for power, he can probably use his speed to hit a lot of punches, and will hope to stun him long enough to hit the big left hook to knock him out. [B]The Match[/B] As is usual for a Raul Hughes match, he started simply by using a lot of jabs and straight rights, peppering Bubb with blows. The big guys seem content to keep the match upright, using big forearms and the occasional slam. Unfortunately from a match quality point of view, the entire first twenty minutes followed this pattern, making for a very dull bout. The first extended stretch of offense came from Hughes, who started using his Ground And Pound attack to take BLZ Bubb down, and followed by using mounted punches. This happened several times, as Bubb's lack of technique to block the takedowns became apparent, and allowed Hughes to build a big lead over the giant Canadian. As the match went past the half hour mark, BLZ Bubb made his comeback, scoring with a couple of slams and legdrops. Still the match was mainly punches though. Raul finally brought some moves to the match, using three S.T.O.'s to floor Bubb and set him up for some rear naked punches. Finally the punches became too much, and Bubb was bust open, although the cut was not too deep. As we came close to the hour mark, things finally hotted up - BLZ Bubb attempted to use the Over Shoulder Backbreaker several times to get a submission but in vain, and several attempts at the Hades Bomb were also blocked. Hughes got a couple of two counts from the S.T.O., but seemed curiously reluctant to go for the Demolition Left Hook to end the bout. That unusual lack of killer instinct proved his downfall, as after a flurry of punches he got careless and walked right into a Hades Bomb for the three count, with the match just 1:40 away from the hour mark. The match ended with a B rating, due to the drama of Bubb's blood loss and the several close submissions and pinfall attempts. Raul's punch-fest attack makes for dull viewing though, and in terms of putting on the better matches, it is a relief he is now eliminated. BLZ Bubb advances to the quarter finals. [B]Winner[/B]: BLZ Bubb (pinfall -> Hades Bomb) [B]Time[/B]: 58:20 [B]Grade[/B]: B

[B]Round Two: Eisaku Hoshino vs Sean McFly[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Eisaku Hoshino[/I] can't match McFly for skill, so will have to rely on out-striking him. He'll be using his trademark headbutt-related attacks whenever possible, and the Godzilla Plunge (northern lights bomb) will be his preferred finisher. If things get too tough we may see him drag out his rarely used super finisher, the Nuclear Death Bomb (burning hammer) and Top Rope DDT. [I]Sean McFly[/I] will try to avoid a straight-out brawl, as while he can probably hang with Hoshino in that area, if he can turn it into a fast-paced wrestling match he is the clear favourite. He'll be looking for either a Face Crusher or Delorean Driver (spinning northern lights bomb) for the duke. [B]The Match[/B] We opened with eight minutes of pretty even action, Hoshino using headbutts when on the attack, McFly using chops and headlocks. Sean was the first to string together some moves, using a suplex, a drop toe hold, a snap elbow and his trademark snap legdrop to pick the pace up. Hoshino came back by knocking him all the way to ringside with a big forearm shot, but then we saw the first big moment of the match at 8:00 as Hoshino's plancha attempt was avoided and he splatted down to the ringside floor. McFly capitalised on that by putting together a full five minutes of uninterrupted offense, but it was mainly safe low-level stuff. He was just looking to be fully in control when he made a rare mistake, walking straight into a Head Drop Suplex that knocked him silly. That led to Eisaku hitting a big Tiger Bomb to get a close fall, the first of the match. Those two big moves had really softened up Sean, and Hoshino looked to pull of an impressively fast victory at 17:50 by bringing the Nuclear Death Bomb into play, but McFly broke it easily. Sean then took his turn to attempt finishers. First he attempted a Scorpion Deathlock, but was blocked by the PGHW star. Realising he had to soften him up a bit more, he powerbombed Hoshino before attempted the Deathlock again, only for his opponent to reach the ropes. We then saw the first of several instances of a rush of finisher reversals and counters; Sean tried to repay the Tiger Bomb on Hoshino, but that was broken and reversed into a Godzilla Plunge attempt, which was in turn broken and turned into a Face Crusher attempt. Hoshino escaped that, and then slipped out the back of a rolling cross armlock attempt to score with a nice German Suplex for a really close fall. We then went into another set of counters, as in quick succession we had attempts at a Godzilla Plunge, a Face Crusher, a Scorpion Deathlock, and a German Suplex, before Hoshino finally hit something, blasting Sean with another Tiger Bomb for a two count at 26:00. McFly came back with drop leg lariats and two of his trademark delayed vertical suplexes, and then dragged Hoshino to his feet to deliver a Face Crusher.....but the Japanese superstar got straight back to his feet and just pointed at McFly, the adrenaline flowing through his veins! After a flurry of moves, the now unstoppable Hoshino sent McFly crashing to the outside with a forearm, then nailed him with a wicked running forearm dive through the middle of the ropes. He then tried to perform a deadly move, the Godzilla Plunge at ringside, but McFly countered with a forearm strike, got back into the ring, and scored with a running plancha dive over the ropes to the outside. Sean then finally locked on the Scorpion Deathlock he'd been attempting all match, but as it was outside the ring there was no chance of a submission. Dragging the hurt Hoshino back in, McFly scored with a missile dropkick for a two, then lifted him up and planted him with the Delorean Driver, which was this time enough to keep him down for a three. A fantastic A* match, and the best one of the tournament so far, as they packed just about everything possible into a half hour bout. Both men were at the top of their game, and we saw everything from finisher kick outs to lucha-esque duelling planchas to adrenaline rushes. Sean McFly has now defeated two really tough opponents in a row, and moves into the quarter finals with a lot of momentum. [B]Winner[/B]: Sean McFly (pinfall -> Delorean Driver) [B]Time[/B]: 33:40 [B]Grade[/B]: A*

[B]Round Two: Steve DeColt vs Shuji Inukai[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Steve DeColt[/I] is slightly bigger than his opponent, and will try to bully his way through the match. That will be easier said than done though, as Shuji is hardly one to lie back and take a beating. Steve will be looking for his DeColt Stampede bulldog to take the win. [I]Shuji Inukai[/I] will try to fight this on his terms, plenty of strikes and powerful blows. He is the definite favourite for this match, and has enough big moves in his arsenal to blow away DeColt if he can get on a roll. [B]The Match[/B] Steve DeColt, obviously realising he is the underdog here, begins like a house on fire, punching away at the PGHW superstar. Shuji's blows are simply shrugged off, and within five minutes DeColt has a big lead. Inukai seems out of sorts, as on the rare occasions he gets on the attack, he is blowing simple moves like splashes. DeColt continues his attack, using his trademark DeColt Thrust a lot, and also some suplexes. He also adds a big belly to belly suplex at the 10:00 mark to put Shuji into Medium health. This signals the start of the comeback for The Untouchable One, as he goes on a massive run of offense, bringing out a Flash Strike (high knee), Spinal Shock, a DDT, and several big back suplexes. He then does some serious damage by mounting DeColt and laying into him with forearms, punches and elbows to the face. Rapidly losing his advantage, Steve comes back with a belly to belly and a Canadian Backbreaker Hold, and and we approach 15:00 it's pretty even between the two men. Shuji is the first to make a big move, knocking DeColt all the way to the outside with a big forearm shot. He goes outside and tries the Finishing Sprint Forearm, the same move Tatsuko used to KO Bruce The Giant, but DeColt backdrops him on the concrete floor. Steve then drags him back in, where a DDT gets him a two count. Inukai again comes back, but his attempt at a flying forearm from the top rope misses, and gives the advantage right back to the Canadian. DeColt pounds away with punches and starts to work the leg with some grapevines, but Inukai is soon back with some brutal kicks. He misses a punch though, and that allows Steve to lift him straight up and hit an Overhead Flip Slam ("F-U") for a surprise three count. Not a great match by any stretch of the imagination, the run of great matches come to an end; the finish came completely out of nowhere, that was the first major move either man had tried. It certainly took Inukai by surprise, as one of the overwhelming favourites for the tournament is taken out by an averagely-skilled underdog. A bad day at the office for Shuji, but a great one for Steve DeColt, as he surprises everyone by reaching the final 16. [B]Winner[/B]: Steve DeColt (pinfall -> Overhead Flip Slam) [B]Time[/B]: 20:20 [B]Grade[/B]: E

[B]Round Two: Skull DeBones vs Liberty[/B] [B]Overview[/B] [I]Skull DeBones[/I] is the bigger and stronger of the two, and will hammer away at Liberty. His strategy needs to be a full on assault, looking for the Skull Krusher or Six Feet Under for the win. [I]Liberty[/I] is outmatched in terms of power and size...but will take a lot of heart from the fact that this is an almost identical situation to the first round, where he put on an incredible performance to beat Runaway Train. [B]The Match[/B] Just like in his first round match it was all Liberty to begin with, using his big left hand punch to fire away. Skull wasn't selling anything to begin with, but clearly the punches had to be taking something out of him. That was proved as we moved past the 10:00 stage, as Liberty hit a massive DDT, two big splashes, and then mounted the big guy to lay into him with punches. Already Skull had been taken to Low energy, with Liberty barely having taken a shot. DeBones came back, using some heavy forearms, a big Reaper Leaper flying clothesline, and two big DDTs. His big power advantage was clear, as it didn't take him long to batter Liberty all the way down to Low energy, evening things up. Liberty tried to come back, hitting a couple of suplexes and a powerslam, but then got caught on a corner charge, and got planted at the 20:00 mark with a double handed choke bomb, a move DeBones rarely uses. That got an incredibly close fall, Liberty was a split-second away from beind eliminated. That motivated Liberty into action, getting two counts off a back suplex and gorilla press, then hitting an Implant DDT for another extremely close count. As in his first round match, Liberty decided to take an aerial route to hurt his bigger opponent, and scored with two flying clothesline from the top rope, both getting a two count, and a high cross body for another pin attempt. His first attempt at a Libertation Slam came next, but Skull blocked and came right back with a couple of shattering blows and a bear hug. Liberty avoided a big boot shortly after though, and a second Implant DDT for a close fall. He followed with another Liberation Slam attempt, but again Skull was able to use his size to block the move. Skull tried fighting back, scoring with two discus clotheslines and an avalanche, but Liberty came back yet again - resilience being his trademark in this tournament. He scored with another DDT and a running knee lift, but then struck out on a simple clothesline and left himself open to get scooped up and planted with the Skull Krusher inverted piledriver for the three count. A great match, Liberty's second in a row, there was plenty of drama and neaer falls. Liberty probably deserved to win, he was the one attacking for most of the match, but ultimately it was Skull's size advantage that kept him from getting taken down with a sure-to-be-fatal Liberation Slam, and Liberty was unable to keep away from the deadly Skull Krusher. The big guy advances to the next round, while the match quality MVP of the tournament so far gets eliminated. [B]Winner[/B]: Skull DeBones (pinfall -> Skull Krusher) [B]Time[/B]: 31:20 [B]Grade[/B]: A

Archived