Jim Cornette is God

rman129

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51590" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>See, this is the thing. He's been nothing but positive with all of the people he's worked with, the interactions with women have been positive. He's just a jerk. And as a jerk, I can tell you he's not biased against women or people of color. 2 Cold Scorpio, The Gangsters, he talks about Selina de la Renta like she's the second coming of Bruno. To this day. He's just an asshole to the people he doesn't like, who do cartoon wrestling and kill the business with goofy comedy stuff, and he's lost the ability to tone it down on a live mic. And this is where we are in culture. Where assholes are just labeled biggots because this generation after mine can't tell the difference and are trying to get spiders banned from video games because they don't want to trigger people.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I hate to break it to you, old man, but it's a hell of a lot more than just being a jerk. How you can look at his comments on people like Jordynne Grace, or his comments on Sonny Kiss, and say there's not a problem is beyond me. The cases you are talking about with Scorpio, Gangsters, and Selina, are the equivalent of "I can't be racist! I have a black friend!"</p><p> </p><p> There's a legitimate problem in this industry as a whole. That much is known for sure by the recent group of people speaking out against abusers and assaulters. Beyond that though, women generally do not feel comfortable at wrestling shows, or in communities of wrestling fans. To imply they're simply triggered and not valid in their experience is sexist in itself. </p><p> </p><p> Supporting people who abuse their power like Cornette is a good way to ensure that the community is not welcoming. The way things were in the past isn't good enough anymore. All people are welcome, get used to it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="parkereddy" data-cite="parkereddy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51590" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hate to break it to you, old man, but it's a hell of a lot more than just being a jerk. How you can look at his comments on people like Jordynne Grace, or his comments on Sonny Kiss, and say there's not a problem is beyond me. The cases you are talking about with Scorpio, Gangsters, and Selina, are the equivalent of "I can't be racist! I have a black friend!"<p> </p><p> There's a legitimate problem in this industry as a whole. That much is known for sure by the recent group of people speaking out against abusers and assaulters. Beyond that though, women generally do not feel comfortable at wrestling shows, or in communities of wrestling fans. To imply they're simply triggered and not valid in their experience is sexist in itself. </p><p> </p><p> Supporting people who abuse their power like Cornette is a good way to ensure that the community is not welcoming. The way things were in the past isn't good enough anymore. All people are welcome, get used to it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Look, when I made this I said you can bash cornette. Please don’t bash other people though.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="rman129" data-cite="rman129" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51590" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Look, when I made this I said you can bash cornette. Please don’t bash other people though.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have no intent on being civil with apologists for his actions. He and anyone who supports him is a stain on the wrestling community that needs wiped away.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51590" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hate to break it to you, old man, but it's a hell of a lot more than just being a jerk. How you can look at his comments on people like <strong>Jordynne Grace, or his comments on Sonny Kiss, and say there's not a problem is beyond me. The cases you are talking about with Scorpio, Gangsters, and Selina, are the equivalent of "I can't be racist! I have a black friend!"</strong></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Ok, Zoomer. See this is the problem. Being a racist means that you have a concious or unconcious bias against human being based on things unrelated to anything other than their skin color. That's actually what that means. Rupp was a racist. Hitler was a racist. Wallace was a racist. You dilute that word by using it in situations it is not called for. And you turn it into a meaningless shaming tool that will be ignored to the detriment of others by throwing it around in the way you do. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51590" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There's a legitimate problem in this industry as a whole. That much is known for sure by the recent group of people speaking out against abusers and assaulters. Beyond that though, women generally do not feel comfortable at wrestling shows, or in communities of wrestling fans. To imply they're simply triggered and not valid in their experience is sexist in itself. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> We agree on one thing. There's a problem, and its the fact wrestling has coagulated to just the IWC and 50+ people who remember when watching this stuff used to be fun and remember the good times while leaving the garbage on the screen. That's the big one. Jim Cornette working you like the ring toss game at the carnival isn't the one.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51590" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Supporting people who abuse their power like Cornette is a good way to ensure that the community is not welcoming. The way things were in the past isn't good enough anymore. All people are welcome, get used to it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> After Joey Ryan I just can't even imagine how your brain functions. This is an industry of grifters and oddballs. Cornette has his issues. I'd rather his (vulgarity, and backwardness) than most in the current wrestling world.</p>

I have no intent on being civil with apologists for his actions. He and anyone who supports him is a stain on the wrestling community that needs wiped away.

Yes but the fact of the matter is that is not what the thread is for. Feel free to insult corny all you want but not other people.

Ok, Zoomer. See this is the problem. Being a racist means that you have a concious or unconcious bias against human being based on things unrelated to anything other than their skin color. That's actually what that means. Rupp was a racist. Hitler was a racist. Wallace was a racist. You dilute that word by using it in situations it is not called for. And you turn it into a meaningless shaming tool that will be ignored to the detriment of others by throwing it around in the way you do.

One does not have to openly despise black people to be racist. One does not have to openly degrade women to be sexist. Cornette has proven his stance through his words and actions. If you can't see that, I suggest you take a deep look at yourself, and at him.

We agree on one thing. There's a problem, and its the fact wrestling has coagulated to just the IWC and 50+ people who remember when watching this stuff used to be fun and remember the good times while leaving the garbage on the screen. That's the big one. Jim Cornette working you like the ring toss game at the carnival isn't the one.

Wrestling has been a toxic community for women and minorities for a very long time. If it's fun to exclude these groups, I guess I don't want to have fun. It was that way when 6 million were watching weekly, and it's that way now. Something needs to change.

After Joey Ryan I just can't even imagine how your brain functions. This is an industry of grifters and oddballs. Cornette has his issues. I'd rather his (vulgarity, and backwardness) than most in the current wrestling world.

I despise all who abuse their power, who abuse their relationships with other people. Be it Ryan, be it Cornette, it's disgusting and it needs to stop. I'm not implying it's the old rulers of wrestling who are the problem. It's the community as a whole. I'd rather have everyone be accepted and welcomed, free of these scumbags.

See, this is the thing. He's been nothing but positive with all of the people he's worked with, the interactions with women have been positive. He's just a jerk. And as a jerk, I can tell you he's not biased against women or people of color. 2 Cold Scorpio, The Gangsters, he talks about Selina de la Renta like she's the second coming of Bruno. To this day. He's just an asshole to the people he doesn't like, who do cartoon wrestling and kill the business with goofy comedy stuff, and he's lost the ability to tone it down on a live mic.

And this is where we are in culture. Where assholes are just labeled bigots because this generation after mine can't tell the difference and are trying to get spiders banned from video games because they don't want to trigger people.

oh, you're one of those.

See, this is the thing. He's been nothing but positive with all of the people he's worked with, the interactions with women have been positive. He's just a jerk. And as a jerk, I can tell you he's not biased against women or people of color. 2 Cold Scorpio, The Gangsters, he talks about Selina de la Renta like she's the second coming of Bruno. To this day. He's just an asshole to the people he doesn't like, who do cartoon wrestling and kill the business with goofy comedy stuff, and he's lost the ability to tone it down on a live mic.

And this is where we are in culture. Where assholes are just labeled bigots because this generation after mine can't tell the difference and are trying to get spiders banned from video games because they don't want to trigger people.

it’d be cool if you got as fired up about people treating others badly as you do about AEW’s product

I personally HATE Jim Cornette. BUT my god some of you guys are so temperamental. Why cant we have a thread where we can discuss what we like or dislike about a person without getting so butt-hurt about somebody elses opinion. Im truely confused if any of you are over the age of 15+.
  • Like 1

In before the thread is locked...

Wrestling has been a toxic community for women and minorities for a very long time. If it's fun to exclude these groups, I guess I don't want to have fun. It was that way when 6 million were watching weekly, and it's that way now. Something needs to change.

Beyond that though, women generally do not feel comfortable at wrestling shows, or in communities of wrestling fans.

Tad bit off-topic, but is what you are saying above anecdotal or do you have actual facts to back it up?

The reason why I ask is that if you look at old Memphis shows or shows from MSG (Just using those two territories as examples as I have had more experience watching them than any other promotion) there are plenty of women in the audience. They were some of the loudest most vocal fans. Personally I started to notice the lack of women in the fanbase around the early 2000's.

My anecdotal theory on the lack of interest by female fans is not a lack of feeling comfortable (Though I am not saying that they do not) but simply put wrestling is just not popular anymore. Also, I know for me personally, even though I am a dude I hate going to live events because wrestling fans seem to be overly corny (Chating stupid things like, Fight Forever, One Fall, The Elite) and a good portion of them lack proper hygiene.

What woman wouldn't want to be in a room with a bunch of dudes who stink and chant stupid stuff over and over again?

Maybe women just see it for what it is, it is kind of lame now. Modern-day wrestling is more niche than it has ever been before. It just might no longer appeal to groups of people anymore.

Before the Attitude Era, my friends used to rag on me for still being a wrestling fan. These same people were the dudes wearing the NWO shirts just a few years later.

• Like 1