Advice on playing in remote locations? (Hawaii, Tasmania, etc.)

I've been interested in playing a company set in Hawaii or Tasmania, but when I got into the starting phases, both the lack of local workers and the anticipation of travel costs make me feel like I wouldn't even be able to set up a show without my financials running deep into the red, especially since I like to play new companies on Rock Hard.

Does anyone have any experience running companies in these regions, and if so, do you have any tips?

Never done so myself, but I think the most important thing to recognize is that it is meant to be very difficult to run a company in those places. You'll definitely run in the red for awhile, just like a real company would. But it is certainly possible.

Hire as many local guys as possible and wait for them to improve. Sure, they might suck at first, but most should improve over time. This keeps travel costs down, and for the majority of the roster, wages will stick below $100 for a very long time.

Splurge on one or two "name" guys. My personal recommendation would be to filter a "top heel" guy in and out every few months, a la the territory days. This allows you to build a strong babyface champion to be the face of the company, while not running out of contenders. This also fits in to the millennia-old story of fighting off the foreigner. Think of the American patriot vs. evil Russian like Hulk Hogan vs. Iron Shiek, or Rikidozan/Inoki vs. basically any Westerner ever.

Stick to monthly shows for a loooong time.

Create some locations/venues in the database and use them to immerse yourself. If you're in Hawaii, create locations for all the islands, INCLUDING the tiny ones. Create some backstory about why you're visiting there.

Going off that idea for Hawaii, there's a ton of atolls and tiny islands. You could do "special" shows there for whatever reason. Off the top of my head, you could blow off a major story with some crazy match e.g. Molokai Madness Match. You could hold a tournament to crown the Prince of Polynesia. Stuff like that to keep you engaged and wanting to keep playing even if the financial stiuation isnt the best.

Now I want to run a game in Hawaii....

Whenever I am playing in remote locations, I always build around local/native wrestlers. Build their skills and popularity up by cycling in and out talented wrestlers who only stay short term.

To fill out your roster without breaking the bank, bring in somewhat talented wrestlers who aren't very over. They will work for very cheap. If they will not agree to work in your area, target the unemployed ones; they will always agree to work in a new area from my experience.

I've played some long term games in Hawaii and while growth is slower if you're starting out as a monthly promotion, you'll book it like you would any other regional territory really. Travel costs can be a pain, but if you hire cheap unemployed workers they will, as long as they don't have the attribute that makes them less likely to move, end up moving closer to you. You can also ask workers on your roster to relocate and that will cut down your travel costs immensely. Just treat it like you would a tiny company running in any other region. Mind your budget. Build stars around people who live close to you and are cost-effective. You'll be able to turn a profit. Growth will just be a bit slower to achieve.

I have a lot of fun booking Hawaii actually. In the CVerse, L-Ring and Kanzen Pro give you two different kinds of companies based in Hawaii you can run that are a lot of fun to book.

I've been interested in playing a company set in Hawaii or Tasmania, but when I got into the starting phases, both the lack of local workers and the anticipation of travel costs make me feel like I wouldn't even be able to set up a show without my financials running deep into the red, especially since I like to play new companies on Rock Hard.

Does anyone have any experience running companies in these regions, and if so, do you have any tips?

I do some prep in advance in the editor. I pick a few people I want to be local to the area and move them there, and change their bios to reflect that if necessary.

Auspicious Aussie runs a start-up women’s-only company based in Australia. He does start with a lot more money than rock-hard, but you could pick up some tips there. Maybe start on rock-hard pop, but edit in some money for yourself.

My advice from watching his play throughs and my experience is to run free or very cheap shows to build up popularity fast. I have also taken to limiting my size to insignificant to stop growing to tiny size, which increases costs automatically. This may help you in Tasmania over Hawaii as there are fewer larger companies to steal your workers away. I’ve chosen a very attractive to sponsors product (no-style) which gives high percentage to in-run action over popularity for ratings too. If the economy is good, you shouldn’t be too bad in terms of deficit. The first two levels of merchandising have no running costs, so invest in those quickly. You will fall into the red for a good portion of your first year, but if you stick to 1-hour events, it shouldn’t be too costly.

Never done so myself, but I think the most important thing to recognize is that it is meant to be very difficult to run a company in those places. You'll definitely run in the red for awhile, just like a real company would. But it is certainly possible.

Hire as many local guys as possible and wait for them to improve. Sure, they might suck at first, but most should improve over time. This keeps travel costs down, and for the majority of the roster, wages will stick below $100 for a very long time.

Splurge on one or two "name" guys. My personal recommendation would be to filter a "top heel" guy in and out every few months, a la the territory days. This allows you to build a strong babyface champion to be the face of the company, while not running out of contenders. This also fits in to the millennia-old story of fighting off the foreigner. Think of the American patriot vs. evil Russian like Hulk Hogan vs. Iron Shiek, or Rikidozan/Inoki vs. basically any Westerner ever.

Stick to monthly shows for a loooong time.

Create some locations/venues in the database and use them to immerse yourself. If you're in Hawaii, create locations for all the islands, INCLUDING the tiny ones. Create some backstory about why you're visiting there.

Going off that idea for Hawaii, there's a ton of atolls and tiny islands. You could do "special" shows there for whatever reason. Off the top of my head, you could blow off a major story with some crazy match e.g. Molokai Madness Match. You could hold a tournament to crown the Prince of Polynesia. Stuff like that to keep you engaged and wanting to keep playing even if the financial stiuation isnt the best.

Now I want to run a game in Hawaii....

This is fantastic advice. I do this with my local to global save but it starts out in a small Michigan territory in the U.P