Advice on what to do with the TNT Championship

So long story short I've been running a save since 1989 its now mid 1998, 1995 I left WCW and formed AEW, I'm running all of AEW's normal titles with the addition of the AEW United States Championship also.

so I signed a TV Deal with TNT which has got 6 months left on the deal, I have already signed with USA Network for when this deal expires after they dropped WWF, the only reason I signed with USA is because after leaving USA WWF also signed with TNT and I didn't like that.

so I have the TNT Championship which has been held by The Rock since its inception.

my current ideas are.

Rename the championship in 6 months to either the USA or Television Championship

or

Have The Rock throw the belt in the trash on the last broadcast on TNT and retire the belt, and then create a new AEW Television Championship and debut it on the first episode on USA Network hold a tournament where the winner will face The Rock at the closest PPV to be crowned the new Television Champion, the person would defeat Rock in that match as I'm then going to move him into the AEW World Championship picture.

I have built the TNT Championship to have pretty decent prestige is my only issue but it feels kind of dirty to just rename the belt and present it as not the TNT Championship.

What do you think I should do.

I would do most of your second idea. The Rock throws the belt away... but immediately move him to the World Title picture. He was undefeated, holding a prestigious belt for a long time. That should make him a formidable contender for the main title, while losing beforehand makes him a weaker challenger.

Then you can do a USA Network Title Tournament, featuring guys who showcase a different era of the company. If TNT was more heavyweights, go cruiserweight. If TNT had strict morality rules, go hardcore. Maybe they're tag titles. Make it wild and different, not the same thing with a different colour strap.

Once that new champion is established, and The Rock has finished challenging for the World Title, he can swing back and do a New vs Old program, putting the new guy over.

It depends if Rock is face or heel. I’d have him bin the title if he’s a heel and challenge for then world title. Or if he’s Face I would have an authority figure basically retire the current title, introduce a new one and offer the rock a shot at the world title.

If he’s not at world title level I’d have refuse the world title shot and win back his title if he’s a face. Or if he’s heel have him moaning about not getting a title shot but winning the tournament for the new belt out of spite.

It will only affect your immersion, but I like the second idea better. There should be a reason why The Rock gets to face the winner - he trashed the old belt after all.

Instead of him throwing the Championship in the trash, TNT representatives can try and take the Title off of him as it is their Property on the Last Episode. The Rock lays the Smackdown on their candy asses and Throw the Championship on their unconscious bodies.

When the new TV Title is revealed Rock states his claim to the championship and have who ever you actually gonna give it to oppose him.

Personally i'm with you on not liking simply changing the name of the Title but like a lot of people have said it depends on your level of immersion and if the Rock is Face or Heel.

If face:

I'd have a heel lay him out and destroy the belt on the last episode on TNT leading to the tournament where the heel who trashed the belt wins and faces The Rock in a grudge match to crown the first Champion of the new Title.

If Heel:

I'd have Rock talk smack about how dominant a Champion he has been before claiming he is done playing with the "small fish", he trashes the Belt and makes his move on to the World Title scene leading to the creation of the new Title and a tournament to crown a new Champion and potentially make a new star or two in the process.

So Basically here is what I did in the end, I used a few of your ideas and merged it together.

Rock was heel, he is going to be babyface for his pursuit of the World Championship.

TNT Network demanded the return of their championship on the last episode of Dynamite on TNT, they sent some heavies to retrieve the belt on behalf of TNT, some 3 guys from my Development company who are big fellas.

The Rock refuses to hand over his Championship, TNT force Rock to face the 3 big ass dudes in a 3 - 1 No Holds Barred handicap match, when they win they'll take the belt back to TNT and lay it on the lap of their new Television partner WWF Owner Vince McMahon.

The Rock is getting his ass handed to him by the 3 dudes AEW World Champion Shawn Michaels and AEW Intercontinental Champion Chris Candido make the save after the match is declared NC (They're both heels in a faction together) they help Rock to his feet while HBK is holding the TNT Championship, SWEET CHIN MUSIC HBK, Candido and the rest of GeNEXT come to the ring and beat down The Rock (turning Rock Babyface), HBK then destroys the Championship belt and throws the broken belt down on the beaten down Rock.

Next week on Dynamite on USA Network, AEW Commissioner Jesse Ventura announces the creation of the AEW NBC Universal (I went with this name as Dynamite is on USA Network however Dark and Thunder my other 2 shows are on SyFy also owned by NBC Universal)

There is going to be a 16 man Tournament to where the winner will face former TNT Champion The Rock to declare the New Champion, The Rock comes out and thanks Jesse however he has some unfinished business to settle with GeNEXT and its his time to take down HBK and take the AEW World Heavyweight Championship, Jesse says he cannot just hand The Rock a world title match, and set him on a gauntlet where over the next 8 weeks he'll have to defeat each member of GeNEXT 1 by 1 and if he does he can face HBK at ALL OUT.

The Rock Leaves, Jesse says the Tournament is still on but now the finals will be for the AEW NBC Universal Championship with the finals being held at ALL OUT.

I'm not 100% happy with how it all played out, but I got to where I wanted to be.