An MMA Golden Age (2007)

Hello everyone this thread is brought to you by OldSchoolMMA’s latest mod which takes us back to the year 2007, PRIDE has been bought out and discontinued by Zuffa the UFC thinking they secured an array of fighters quickly realized they had bought just a fight library plus just a name in ‘PRIDE’ as the fighter contracts where all open-checkbook meaning the lucrative fighters under the PRIDE banner are all free agents now. With PRIDE gone the spot for the No. 1 MMA organization is up for grabs while the UFC currently lays claim to that title other organizations like Strikeforce, WEC, EliteEC are all making plays of their own to take the top spot. With eventual MMA organizations like Bellator, ONE Championship, and many others yet to open up the landscape of MMA is about to get quite interesting.

For those wanting to download the mod themselves here's the link, it is getting constantly updated as we speak, and once again a huge thank you to OldSchoolMMA be sure to check it out and give him thanks: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550134

Also, I will still be continuing my Rewriting MMA History thread but I’ll be switching between these two depending on which one I want to play. Posts will come out when I generally feel like it in all honesty I might update each thread once per week or a couple of times a month only time will tell for now.

This thread will be kinda similar but not as in-depth as my previous thread I'll still romantic the rivalries and fights as well but not as much. Posts on this thread will recap a whole week or possibly month of MMA similar to how I did the end-of-year recaps in the previous thread but just instead it's an end of week or month recap including news like signings, fight announcements, rivalries, and of course event recaps.

Thank you all and again a big thank you to OldSchoolMMa for the mod I hope everyone has a wonderful day, night, or afternoon wherever you are, and hope you enjoy the thread.

nsM63UO.png

nsM63UO.png

2007 June (Week 1) Recap

yNY8UHb.png

Headline 1 (Fight Announcement):

Dana White announces UFC 72 to be headlined by Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and challenger Dan Henderson at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Los Angeles on June Week 4

Fight-Card:

Main-Event

Middleweight: (CHAMP) Anderson Silva (20-4) vs. Dan Henderson (22-5)

For UFC Middleweight Championship

Co-Main

Welterweight: Josh Koscheck (9-1) vs. George-St Pierre (13-2)

Main-Card

Lightweight: Jason Tan (4-1) vs. Roman Mitichyan (4-1)

Lightweight: Joe Stevenson (27-7) vs. Din Thomas (23-6)

Light-Heavyweight: Matt Hamill (4-1) vs. Houston Alexander (7-1-1)

Prelims

Heavyweight: Christian Wellisch (7-3) vs. Eddie Sanchez (6-1)

Middleweight: Ricardo Alemia (8-2) vs. Steve Bruno (11-3)

Middleweight: Thales Leites (10-1) vs. Rory Singer (11-6)

Lightweight: Jason Reinhardt (18-0) vs. Jorge Gurgel (10-2)

Light-Heavyweight: Hector Ramirez (6-2-1) vs. Kalib Starnes (8-1-1)

Breakdown:

Current UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva (20-4) is set to take on former PRIDE double-champ Dan Henderson (22-5) the last PRIDE Middleweight and Welterweight champion before PRIDE ceased operations earlier this year. Silva looks to make the 1st defense of his title after defeating former-champion ‘Ace’ Rich Franklin in less than 3 minutes (UFC 64 in October 2006) with some devastating knees from the clinch he’d have an attempted defense earlier this year at UFC 67 but his opponent Travis Lutter would miss weight Silva would defeat him via TKO in the 2nd round with ease. Dan Henderson comes into this fight the betting favorite (-150) to (+110) and you can’t really argue with those odds after his recent run of success koing the seemingly invincible PRIDE Middleweight champion plus a mentor to Anderson Silva in Wanderlei Silva with a signature H-Bomb to put the Brazilian to sleep Henderson’s stock is at an all-time high. ‘Hendo’ also holds wins over Vitor Belfort, Murilo Bustamante (x2), Antonio Nogueira, Kanzo Misaki, Murilo Rua, Renato Sobral as well as a long list of accolades like the previous mentioned PRIDE Middleweight and Welterweight belts along with being a tournament winner for PRIDE’s 2005 Welterweight tournament plus the UFC’s 17 open weight tournaments as well looking to add UFC undisputed gold to his name he has also stated his intentions to challenge for the Light-Heavyweight belt after he ‘defeats’ Anderson Silva ‘with a knockout in the 1st round’.

The co-main event sees the return of former UFC Welterweight champion George-St Pierre (13-2) after his 1st round knockout loss to current Welterweight champion Matt Serra at UFC 69 George explains the quick turnaround after such a brutal loss is mainly because he wishes to ‘wash the bad taste’ of the loss out of his mouth after ‘the most embarrassing moment of my life’. Koscheck pulled no punches when asked about GSP taking multiple digs at his loss to Serra

y45nTDv.png

“He’s [GSP] a coward he gave up, he wasn’t hurt at all he just got scared and pretended to be rocked. Saw a way out and took it Matt Serra has no power in his hands; he can’t knock out anyone if he does; he probably paid them off which I wouldn’t be surprised if George accepted some cash under the desk. He [GSP] probably spent all his money gambling it away and he needs some more money, this is his last UFC fight because I will knockout GSP he is a disgrace to the division the universe is gonna correct that mistake with me”

- Josh Koscheck

As for any other fights worth mentioning on the card the opening PPV Light-Heavyweight bout between Matt Hamill and Houston Alexander is an interesting powerhouse striker in Alexander versus a strong wrestler in Matt Hamil a win for either would turn these prospects into a contender but a loss will see a long way down the rabbit hole of an ever-evolving Light-Heavyweight division. Also, Joe Stevenson winner of 8 out of his last 10 fights riding a 3 fight win streak that includes a 27-second guillotine submission win over Melvin Guillard in his last outing has his sights set on the Lightweight title, Din Thomas also rides a 3 fight win streak his last few outings includes wins over Jeremy Stephens, Clay Gudia and UFC Welterweight champion Matt Serra. Both have similar fight styles so no surprise the betting lines are an even (-110) each no doubt a big win puts them both firmly in title contention so look for both fighters to put it all on the line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Np21OWH.png

Headline Two (Signings):

Pancrase signs WWE superstar Brock Lesnar to a three fight-deal as well as MMA legends Ray Sefo, Don Frye.

After multiple meetings with the UFC, Strikeforce, DEEP, and EliteEC Heavyweight Brock Lesnar (0-0) one of the most popular WWE wrestlers in the world is set to make his MMA debut under the Pancrase banner it’s widely speculated that Lesnar’s first fight will be at the Saitama Super Arena an arena that holds a maximum 36 and half thousand fans. To strengthen their Heavyweight division Pancrase have signed legends of the fight game in Ray Sefo known for his K1 kickboxing career with epic battles against Mark Hunt, Mirko Cro Cop, Bob Sapp, and Jerome Le Banner now (1-0) in MMA Sefo after being approached by both Strikeforce and Pancrase has decided to stay in Japan as he feels he has a larger fanbase in the region. Previous PRIDE Heavyweight also staying in Japan is Don Frye (18-6-1-1nc) fondly remembered for the number of barnburners he produced under the PRIDE banner with his wars against Ken Shamrock and 2005’s Fight of the Year against Yoshihiro Takayama the proud patriotic American looks to continue to wow Japanese audiences across the continent. The question remains will Lesnar have is debut fight against the two or someone already under the Pancrase banner is yet to be seen but former CEO of PRIDE and DREAM Nobuyuki Sakakibara has repeatedly said he has ‘very big plans’ for Pancrase in the upcoming future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wzLHN86.png

Headline Three (Signings + Rumours):

Strikeforce inks deal with ‘The Gracie Hunter’ Kazushi Sakuraba, Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Mark Kerr, Jason Miller, and Carlos Newton. Also, announce a possible Grand Prix date for November or December.

Scott Coker would hold a huge six-man press conference to introduce and welcome their six newly added fighters to their rooster, Strikeforce this week has signed a reported 32 fighters to contracts this week and looks to possibly hold a HUGE event sometime in July next month three possible locations emerged in Florida, Texas, or at Strikeforce’s home base in California. The six fighters on stage are some of the largest names amongst the MMA landscape certainly increasing the value of Strikeforce first to arrive was the legendary ‘Gracie Hunter’ himself Kazushi Sakuraba (21-9-1-2nc) would compete for the first time on American soil,

“Of course this is a huge change for me, I’m moving base to America. I've been training at AKA with Javier Mendes for a while, he'll definitely be in my corner. I’m just grateful for everyone who has supported me and will continue to support me it’s time to show the American public what I’m about”

- Kazushi Sakuraba

Sakuraba has said he’d compete at any weight class from Heavyweight to Welterweight as well confirming reports that he was interested in competing in a possible July event if reports are true. Also on the presser was a who's who of MMA legends from Ken Shamrock (26-12-2) to Mark Kerr (13-6-1nc), Royce Gracie (13-2-3) as well as the crazy wild card Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller (23-5) to a former UFC Welterweight champion Carlos Newton (14-12). Many reporters were wondering if Cocker was angling for Ken to fight his adopted brother Frank as both were now signed to the promotion Cocker offered a ‘we’ll see what happens’ while Ken felt ‘uncomfortable’ answering a question about Frank in which he called him ‘the scum of the earth, I’ve never seen a bigger p**k’.

IKrldl2.png

The press conference would also spawn an early rivalry this year as classic Jason Miller would call out Royce Gracie while the two were up together on the presser,

“I’m trying to be like this man [Kazushi Sakuraba] right here he destroyed a family name all by himself had Rickson scared sh**less to fight him, I mean look at what he did to him [Royce Gracie] look at his face straight up a travesty no one can love that face his own family exiled him because he got his beat by Sakuraba. Look at him got nothing to say pulling the no English card huh?”

- Jason Miller

“I don’t even know who this guy is and what he’s doing here. I honestly thought the local crackhead broke in through the back and now I’m told he’s a fighter?”

- Royce Gracie

Miller got up and so did Gracie's security would be called to separate the two as the press conference was immediately called off as Cocker would end it there no doubt with money on his mind and fights to make.

ufZEVsO.png

Headline Four (Signings + Rumours):

UFC signs Fedor Emelianenko to an 8-fight deal bout with Couture rumored for August in Las Vegas. Gomi, Randleman, Hunt, and many other free agents also sign the dotted line with UFC.

A record 30-50 fighters have signed with the UFC but none bigger than arguably the greatest fighter in the world Fedor Emelianenko (27-1-1nc) the last PRIDE Heavyweight champion and the winner of the 2004 Heavyweight Grand Prix Emlianeko with his wins over Mirko Crop Cop and two wins over Antonio Nogueira his only loss coming via a cut because the organization had a rule that if you get cut you immediately lose is basically undefeated. While the relationship between Fedor and UFC president Dana White is quite frankly terrible, both seem to have a strictly business approach to the additions of Fedor to the roster. Fans are salivating for a fight between him and the current UFC Heavyweight champion plus Joe Rogan's hero Randy ‘The Natural’ Couture (15-8) just recently defeating Tim Syliva for the Heavyweight championship at the age of 43 this is a legacy fight to determine who is the greatest Heavyweight of all time? But not only has the UFC struck gold by signing the Russian Heavyweight they have added multiple fan favorites to their rosters with Takanori Gomi (27-3-1nc) plus an array of fan favorites like Heavyweights Mark Hunt (5-3) and former champion Kevin Randleman (16-12), Vitor Belfort (15-8), Mauricio Rua (16-2), Leonard Garica (9-2), Roy Nelson (8-2), undefeated Middleweight Paulo Filho (14-0), Chael Sonnen (19-8-1) and many others.

“It’s an exciting time to be a UFC fan. We've got the Ultimate Fighter about to start-up as well as a massive event in L.A. also as of right now we're trying to have 1-3 events per month hopefully start weekly shows in the next 5 years it’s amazing. We're not gonna stop we don’t wait for anyone or anything lets f**kin go already”.

- Dana White

Remember if you want you can download the mod and play it yourself at: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550134

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day.

TM832Ez.png

• 1 month later...

DDaDUCm.png

2007 June Week 2 Recap

xFYm4Xp.png

Headline One: (Fight Announcement)

Two vacant Strikeforce titles up for grabs as Texas to host next Strikeforce event headlined by Kazushi Sakuraba and Murlio Rua for the Middleweight strap and Paul Daley vs Mike Pyle for the Welterweight championship on July Week 3

Main-Event

Middleweight: Kazuish Sakuraba (21-9-1-2NC) vs. Murilo Rua (13-7-1)

For Strikeforce Middleweight Championship

Co-Main

Welterweight: Paul Daley (14-6-2) vs. Mike Pyle (12-4-1)

For Strikeforce Welterweight Championship

Main-Card

Heavyweight: Maurice Smith (12-13) vs. Paul Buentello (24-9)

Middleweight: Phil Baroni (10-7) vs. Jason Miller (23-5)

Light-Heavyweight: Alex Schoenaur (13-7) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (12-3)

Prelims

Lightweight: Josh Thomson (12-2-1NC) vs. Adam Lynn (11-7)

Middleweight: Ronaldo Jacare (5-1) vs. Sanae Kikuta (26-6-3-1NC)

Light-Heavyweight: Ryan Bader (2-0) vs. Alexandre Ferreria (13-5)

Heavyweight: Carter Williams (3-1) vs. Jan Nortje (1-5)

Welterweight: Jae Suk Lim (12-3) vs. Eddy Ellis (12-15-1-1NC)

Light-Heavyweight: Seth Kleinbeck (6-3) vs. Anthony Ruiz (15-10)

Middleweight: Falaniko Vitale (22-7) vs. Jason Von Flue (12-7-1)

Lightweight: Billy Evangelista (3-0) vs. Chris Cariaso (4-0)

Middleweight: Trevor Prangley (15-4) vs. Jorge Santiago (12-7)

Perhaps not the card many fans were expecting but still a very fun night of fights with 15 fights in total on the card as many of the old guard taking on new rising prospects from fan favorites to hated heels of the sport take center stage in Texas. "The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba challenges for the vacant Strikeforce Middleweight title against a dangerous in his prime Murilo Rua in the main-event of the evening first off we must mention the 10 year difference in age (Sakuraba is 37 while Rua is 27) as well as how much damage has Sakuraba taken over the past few years. His 9 losses include 3 brutal knockout losses to Wanderlei Silva with a knockout loss to Mirko Cro Cop on top of that one must question where Sakuraba chin is at as well as how much will age play a factor in this fight? Will we see a vintage performance from Sakuraba? "The Gracie Hunter" doesn't seem to believe in the word ‘vintage’ himself leading up to the fight.

“I don’t get the word ‘vintage’? Maybe I can’t take as many clean shots as I once did and I am old trust me but my skills haven’t declined if you look at most of my wins I won when I turned them into a contest of skills not raw power. I think the age gap favors me because as I’ve got more fights, I’m only getting more technical and skilled which should make me the favorite”.

- Kazushi Sakuraba

Murlio Rua probably mostly known for being the older brother of the winner of the 2005 Middleweight Grand Prix now current UFC Light-Heavyweight Maurico Rua, Murilo is a very solid fighter in his own right the Brazilian has devastating legs with a solid chin plus a good mauy-thai base in which he loves to throw elbows from as well as a lot looping strikes but realistically this should be a fight Sakuraba win if "The Gracie Hunter" delivers on his promises for a technical and skillful masterclass key word being 'should'. This is a massive gamble for Strikeforce if Sakuraba loses potential match-ups including him won’t generate the same amount of buzz however a win for Sakuraba against a legit threat will only strengthen their Middleweight roster and who knows maybe Sakuraba will jump around from division to division like he did in PRIDE.

R82A0z9.png

Strikeforce will also crown a new Welterweight champion as powerhouse kickboxer Paul Daley will take on the well rounded Mike Pyle, but unlike the main-event this bout has seemingly flew under the radar even being overshadowed by some other match-ups on the main-card as the two kept it surprising respectful between each other opting to focus more on training than hyping the fight. The path for victory is pretty clear for both Daley must keep it standing to finish off Pyle with his overwhelming power advantage for Pyle, mix it and keep the fight in a short boxing range so Daley can’t generate as much power. Daley has lately been working on his BJJ particularly working on off his back armbars to possibly expect a lot of dirty boxing from Pyle instead of all out wrestling.

Stealing all the headlines this week Jason "Mayhem" Miller has come at guns-a-blazing offending and insulting pretty much everyone on the Strikeforce roaster still looking to angle a potential clash with the legendary Royce Gracie after their brief scuffle at a now infamous introduction press conference. "Mayhem" has gone on to completely dismiss his opponent and his skills comically calling him a ‘bum’ over and over again, Phill Baroni in an interview has expressed some serious bad intentions leading up to the fight.

“I have never in my life ever hated a man as much as I hate him [Jason Miller], I don’t only want to hurt him but embarrass him. Make him bleed, make him pay for all the disrespect he has shown me and many fellow fighters this beating isn’t just for me but the entire world”.

- Phil Baroni

As for the rest of the cards the hardcore MMA fans are in for a treat as Strikeforce has implemented an array of young prospects like Josh Thompson, Ronaldo Jacare, and Ryan Bader all three are praised to be possible “wolrd championship material” by Coker himself. Further reports and questions were asked if and when Strikeforce would hold its next Grand Prix/ Tournament this year but Coker again flirted with the idea but didn’t really answer any questions at the same time very much dancing around the subject.

FPflDzw.png

Headline Two: (Drama/Rivalry + Injury Report)

Mauricio Rua and Anderson Silva come to blows after training session got “way too personal”, Silva's team announces a reported 'bruised' rib due to the incident

Wanderlei Silva and Antonio Nogueira have announced that they and both of their gyms will no longer be training or associate themselves with Mauricio Rua after he reportedly went “too far” during training earlier this week. According to Wandeleri a long time mentor for many current Brazilian MMA fighters Rua was brought in to help Anderson Silva train for his upcoming title defense against Dan Henderson, according to Wanderlei plus many others a frustrated Rua after being dominate during sparring threw a few shots to the body after the round ended which lead to a brief fight between the two before being separated. Nogueira has gone on to heavily criticize Rua for his behavior while Mauricio himself has called out many of his fellow teammates and friends for picking favorites.

“They won’t mention [Anderson] Silva taunting me and trashing not only me but my family while we're fighting. We are supposed to be brothers but what he did was unforgivable, my fellow teammates are picking favorites there siding with the golden goose just because he has a big name.”

- Mauricio Rua

Anderson himself has received a reported bruised right rib after the punches thrown after the bell but said he will continue to fight on and will still be facing Dan Henderson by the end of the month. One person not buying the 'reported' injury and drama down in Anderson's camp as a whole is Henderson himself the challenger and the former PRIDE Welterweight plus Middleweight champ said,

“I dunno if I buy it….. I mean we I look at the whole situation I think it’s being romanticized I’m not gonna say he [Anderson Silva] is faking an injury but I do think he’s already giving out excuses which is annoying but what can you do”

- Dan Henderson

These comments have gone onto sour the mutual respect between the two while this is disappointing to some it also generates more hype for the fight these brief comments have gone onto be marketed like hot cakes by the UFC marketing team leading up to UFC 72. In only a week Silva has developed two heated rivalries one being a former training partner and friend the other an opponent he had the utmost respect for, will this affect Silva’s performance or possibly enhance it with a rage and aggression generally never seen before in an Anderson Silva bout. Also worthy noting is the older brother of Mauricio Rua in Murilo Rua has cut ties with each other as Murilo has gone onto side with Anderson but hopes his younger brother will come to his senses.

3zHPKZd.png

Headline Three: (Fight Announcements)

UFC announce two shows in UFC Fight Night: Franklin v. Bisping and UFC 73: Sherk v. Franca for the Month July

Main-Event

Middleweight: Rich Franklin (22-2-1NC) vs. Michael Bisping (13-0)

Co-Main

Heavyweight: Cain Velasquez (2-0) vs. Cheick Kongo (10-3-1)

Main-Card

Lightweight: Alvin Robinsion (8-1) vs. Junior Assuncao (5-2)

Lightweight: Manny Gamburyn (6-1) vs. Justin Buchholz (7-1)

Welterweight: Luke Commo (5-4) vs. Tom Speer (11-1)

Prelims

Welterweight: Matt Arroyo (2-1) vs. Dorian Price (8-3)

Welterweight: Roan Carneiro (11-5) vs. Jon Koppenhaver (4-1)

Lightweight: Luke Caudillo (15-9) vs. Rob Emerson (7-6)

Heavyweight: Justin McCully (9-3-2) vs. John-Olva Einemo (6-1)

Lightweight: George Sotiropoulous (7-2) vs. Diego Saraiva (10-7-2)

It’s been a busy week for the Ultimate Fighting Championship as Dana White and the promotion has gone on to announce two shows will be held in the month of July and with another two being rumored for August and possibly three shows the month after that. The first show announced will take place in Louisiana as top Middleweight contenders Rich “Ace” Franklin (23-2-1NC) looks to once again become champion with a win over the undefeated Michael “The Count” Bisping (13-0), “The Count” comes into the fight as a (+340) underdog to the (-430) favorite Franklin these betting odds have been disputed by both Bisping and Dana White

“You seen the betting odds for this one? Crazy thing is I think a lot of people agree with those odds, Bisping ain’t no joke I know the American audience hasn’t seen much of him but he’s a fantastic kickboxer he throws combinations at a high pace with an endless gas tank plus is a very underrated mixed martial artist. I definitely think Bisping is gonna surprise a lot of people not saying he’s gonna win because Franklin being a former champion himself you know is a beast he wants that title back so bad this is one of those fights that can be the co-main or even main event a pay-per-view but f**k it it's free just for the fans”.

- Dana White

When asked if the winner would get a title-shot at the winner of Anderson v. Henderson bout White said there was a “very high chance” of the winner securing a title fight with a victory. The two are pretty similar fighters both are well rounded who prefer to stand the difference is Bisping likes to throw combos while Franklin is more of a spinner striking wise, many expect Bisping to win the fight in the early stages of the fight before Franklin adjusts for a late finish or decision win. The overall card leans towards the hardcore MMA fans as a not a lot of fights stand out besides the main and co-main as a classical old vs new match-up between prospect Cain Velasquez (2-0) and Cheick Kongo (10-3-1) in the Heavyweight division.

Velasquez a high pressure fighter likes to box in close quarters a dynamic attacker who switches between his stand up to wrestling he keeps a high pace for every single second of the fight and is yet to be even taken past the 1st round although he has only 2 fights to his name. Kongo has stated “experience” and differing “levels” as the key advantages to this fight saying how Velasquez constant aggression will only work to his disadvantage this fight as Check is a very skilled kickboxer with some serious knockout power, possibly the hardest hitting Heavyweight on the UFC roaster.

“It’s easy to look good against lower level competition, I feel he’s being pushed too soon he has championship material for sure but he isn’t ready yet. I’m just too experienced for him and too skilled I’m defined while he’s still developing”.

- Cheick Congo

Some names to look out for on this card that many horncores have singled out is Alvin Robinson (8-1) a high-level wrestling coming out of the state of Colorado making his UFC debut, Tom Speer (11-1) a very physically strong fight with powerful stand-up who has a particularly love of slamming with some brutal (often sloppy) ground and pound. A sleeper Fight of the Night contender on this card has to be Manny Gamburyn (6-1) a black-belt in Judo who loves to brawl v. Justin Buchholz (7-1) a very smart fighter who often uses high-level tactics to defeat his opponents he is also credited with some very good kicks to his game.

sT74rxR.png

Main-Event

Lightweight: (CHAMP) Sean Sherk (33-2-1) vs. Hermes Franca (18-5)

For Lightweight Championship

Co-Main

Heavyweight: Gabriel Gonzaga (8-1) vs. Brandon Vera (8-0)

Main-Card

Welterweight: Frank Trigg (15-6) vs. Anthony Torres (5-0)

Welterweight: Mike Swick (10-2) vs. Thiago Alves (12-5)

Lightweight: Glesion Tibau (18-3) vs. Terry Etim (10-0)

Prelims

Middleweight: Tamdan Corey (8-0) vs. Tim Kennedy (7-1)

Light-Heavyweight: Luiz Cane (7-0-1NC) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (17-3)

Lightweight: Rich Clementi (27-12-1) vs. Luiz Firmino (11-3)

Lightweight: Roger Huerta (17-1-1-1NC) vs. Shinya Aoki (13-2)

Lightweight: Joachim Hansen (15-5-1) vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida (14-3-1)

The next pay-per-view event for the UFC will be held in Indiana at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum the six-thousand and five hundred arena will have the reigning defending Lightweight champion Sean “The Muscle Shark” Sherk (33-2-1) will attempt to make his 1st title defense after winning the belt against Kenny Florian at UFC 64 last year. The challenger is the high-level Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt under the legendary Renzo Gracie in Hermes Franca (18-5), in many ways Franca is very similar to current Welterweight champion Matt Serra both have solid stand-up that have power in their hands both are high-level in BJJ but Franca has shown a much higher fight IQ fighting off his back being very skilled with armbar submissions but has been outwrestled before with smarter wrestlers. Sherk loves to wrestle and is currently Brock Lesnar's wrestling coach after Lesnar announced he would join the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy team. Another Heavyweight match-up will act as the co-main event with Gabriel Gonzaga (8-1) taking on the undefeated Brandon Vera (8-0), Gonzaga is hot off a huge knockout victory over Mirko Cro Cop and is fuming after being passed up on for a shot at the Heavyweight title telling reporters,

“They wanted to make [Mirko] Cro Cop vs [Randy] Couture but I took that fight away by knocking Cro Cop out, now I’m being punished for winning that fight. I can’t believe it, I respect Fedor [Emelianenko] but he has done nothing to earn a title-shot”

- Gabriel Gonzaga

FVIh0Tl.png

These comments lead to a brief arctic cold response from Fedor himself when reporters told him about Gonzaga’s recent comments saying “I don’t care”, a mild rivalry has grown between the two but it’s nothing personal. The card is also littered top to bottom with top-notch fights as Frank Trigg (15-6) a two time challenger for the UFC’s Welterweight championship looks to get a third crack at the title with a win against Anthony Torres (5-0) an undefeated prospect which specializes in BJJ with fairly below average striking and decent mauy-thai. It’s a classic old versus new guard with Trigg coming off a brutal knockout loss to Robbie Lawler the UFC could be angling to set-up Trigg for a triumphant return to form or have Torres gain momentum off a Welterweight main staple.

Staying in the Welterweight division a strong contender for Fight of the Night is Mike Swick (10-2) v. Thiago Alves (12-5), Swick a contestant on the first ever season of The Ultimate Fighter is slick combination striker with an accomplished background in kickboxing. Meanwhile his opponent Thiago Alves is a brutal axe murder with razor sharp creative striking he also has a tendency to lean on the mauy-thai clinch as he loves to throw a lot of elbows and knees overall. To round out the rest of the fights here are some fighters/ lesser known fights to have an eye on the opening bout of the pay-per-view is an interesting Lightweight bout between Glesion Tibau (18-3) a big 155er battles undefeated British prospect Terry Etim (10-0), Etim much like his fellow brit Michael Bisping is a huge betting underdog coming into this fight at (+330) both are considered pioneers for the mma scene in Britain but both aren’t really expected to be anything more than fringe contenders or gatekeepers.

“I think it’s just bias, no one wants to believe the mma takeover in Britain but it’s gonna happen me and [Michael] Bisping are gonna be world champions. I’m only 20 and I’m already very close to a shot at the title, I believe in myself to get the job done. I expect complete domination on my part. It's only a question of which round will I make him [Glesion Tibau] quit?”.

- Terry Etim

It’s clear Etim doesn't lack much confidence but he isn’t far off what many expect from this fight and that is ‘domination’ as Tibau a notorious low-risk grinder will be looking to do just that but the Liverpool native has a deadly guillotine choke so possibly Ertim can catch Tibau in a submission off his back but Tibau himself is a black belt in BJJ and as Dana White often says "Who the f**k knows what's gonna happen in that fight?".

Remember if you want you can download the mod and play it yourself at: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...d.php?t=550134

And in the words of the great Anderson Silva "I back" (for now at least)

V4cq0o5.png

DDaDUCm.png

2007 June Week 3 Recap

10EuRMk.png

Headline One: (UFC Fight Announcement)

UFC announce Heavyweight super fight between Randy Couture v. Fedor Emelianenko for UFC 74 in Las Vegas

Main-Event

Heavyweight: (CHAMP) Randy Couture (15-8) vs. Fedor Emelianenko (27-1-NC)

For UFC Heavyweight championship

[Couture 1st attempted Defense]

Co-Main

Light-Heavyweight: Forrest Griffin (13-4) vs. Wanderlei Silva (31-7-1-1NC)

Main-Card

Lightweight: Sam Strout (11-2-1) vs. Clay Guida (21-7)

Lightweight: Melvin Guillard (21-6-2-1NC) vs. Caol Uno (23-9-4)

Heavyweight: Mark Hunt (5-3) vs. Pedro Rizzo (15-7)

Prelims

Heavyweight: Roy Nelson (8-2) vs. Fabricio Werdum (9-3-1)

Welterweight: Edilberto de Oliveria (8-1-1) vs. John Kolosci (8-4)

Lightweight: David Baron (13-2) vs. Chris Horodecki (10-0)

Lightweight: Mac Danzig (16-4-1) vs. Andy Wang (5-6)

Welterweight: Paul Taylor (8-1-1-NC) vs. Jason Gilliam (11-1)

Finally after much speculation and rumors' the Heavyweight super fight for the UFC Heavyweight championship between defending champion Randy "The Natural" Couture one of all time greatest fighters in mma history will go up against what many consider the greatest fighter in mma history Fedor Emelianenko. The champion Couture is hot off winning the title in a dominate unanimous decision in which he won every single round against former champion Tim Sylvia in March earlier this year (UFC 68) in one of greatest feel good moments in what is a pretty merciless sport, the challenger Fedor Emelianenko looks to dethrone him with only one lose to his name due to a 17 second stoppage due to a minor cut many consider Fedor undefeated and rightfully so. The former and last PRIDE Heavyweight champion he holds wins over Mirko Cro Cop, Antonio Nogueria, Mark Hunt, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, and Heath Herring some critics have pointed out however, Fedor has fought a lot of ‘cans’ that have no business fighting him one of these many critics was Dana White and in the UFC 72 presser for Silva v. Henderson told reporters.

“I’ve been on his case for years about the level of his competition and now he has the chance to shut me up, this is a one of a lifetime type of fight this the Muhammed Ali vs. Joe Fraizer of mma a can’t miss fight even if you're a fan or not. The whole world will be watching so it’s time to see if he really is the ‘greatest fighter in the world’ as the media keeps telling me he is”

- Dana White

If we quickly analyze this fight both are pretty evenly matched while Fedor probably has a slight advantage in terms of striking Couture showed how crisp his boxing is in the Sylvia fight their wrestling seems even but Couture has wrestled at the Olympic level for years so maybe he has the slight edge, Emelianenko will enjoy a pretty reasonable size advantage but again going back to Couture's fight with Tim Sylvia who probably weigh-in about 280-300 pounds that night while Couture weigh-in at 225.5 pounds "The Natural" won every single round by out-striking and out-wrestling the bigger man. All the X’s and O’s show this should be on paper on of the most even fights in UFC history but much if we are to go back one finale time to UFC 68 against Tim Sylvia Couture is 43 years old while Fedor is 30 what many consider the prime of people's life, Couture didn’t look like he was 43 but you never know when the body will just suddenly come to a halt.

u1JdRKN.png

With the massive implications of what this fight means to the history of mma the UFC has stacked the card with must see tv fights on the pay-per-view, all five of these fights can headline a Fight Night card or even other a few PPV's. The co-main event see’s the UFC debut of the legendary Wanderlei Silva who holds the record for the most wins under the PRIDE banner while he is currently riding back-to-back BRUTAL knockout losses to the likes of Mirko Cro Cop and Dan Henderson a bout in which he lost his PRIDE Middleweight title, hardcore and even casual fans will always tune into “The Axe Murders” fights. His opponent fan favorite and the winner of the Ultimate Fight season one Forrest Griffin his blood and guts all out style has many excited for this fight many actually have this circled as a possible Fight of The Year contender. Many are slightly disappointed that Wanderlei isn’t fighting “The Ice-Man” Chuck Liddell and Dana White addressed why that fight wasn’t taking place he told fans that Liddell already had a fight scheduled beforehand just that it wasn’t publicly announced yet, Liddell v. Silva is a fight many fans have salvated for years and now the two finally both fight under the UFC banner it’s quite possibly the most anticipated fight the promotion can put on right now and a loss for Silva would no doubt be devastating for him going on a 3-fight skid plus the promotion.

Two exciting Lightweight bouts are also on the main-card as another fan favorite blood and guts axe murder fight in Mevlin Guillard takes on Caol Uno, Guillard was originally suppose to be on UFC Fight Night Franklin vs. Bisping as he was going to fight in front of his hometown of Louisiana against Diego “The Nightmare” Sanchez in a reported co-main event but before the fight could materialize Sanchez would suffer a foot injury and no other fighter could be found to fill in on time. Instead Guillard finds himself on one of the biggest card’s of the year against Lightweight legend Caol Uno who fought in the first ever Lightweight championship fight against BJ Penn the fight ended in a draw but ever since then Uno has stayed relatively near the top of the food chain as he looks to once again challenge for the championship. It’s the basic heavy handed striker versus submission wrestler so the path for victory should be clear for both Sam Strout meets Clay Guida in the other Lightweight bout on the main-card while the opening Heavyweight fight between Mark Hunt and Pedro Rizzo has recently made headlines after Hunt’s choice words about PED’s in the world of MMA targeting fighters from Brazil especially.

lSc4LAd.png

“I’m sick of fighting these steroid cheating s**ts, their ruining the sport by doing what they do and all the damn fighters from Brazil every single one of them is on the juice just look at them”.

- Mark Hunt

In fairness Hunt has fought a lot of fighters that were probably juicing but to lash out at the entire mma scene in Brazil seems a bit cold blooded but if it was meant to offend it definitely did a lot of Brazil fighters from Wanderlei Silva, Anderson Silva, the Nogueira brothers, Jose Aldo and practically every fighter from Brazil including his opponent Pedro Rizzo is no exception. Labelling a Hunt a “sore loser” who “makes excuses because he isn’t skilled enough to compete” the already exciting slugfest the UFC has marketed this fight as just got a whole lot more excitement backed behind it. Another Heavyweight Brazil who voiced his anger out at Hunt’s statement would be Fabricio Werdum who would headline in prelims against “Country” Roy Nelson with an iron chin, god given power, and a solid wrestling base plus an ever improving stand-up Nelson will really have his BJJ tested if the fight ever hits the mat as Werdum is easily the greatest Heavyweight BJJ fighter in the entire world. Werdum has told reporters he intends to “test” Nelson's “gas tank” as he plans to make him tired before going in for the finish. Also Nelson should be worried about the mauy-thai clinch as Werdum has some devastating knees but if he keeps the fight standing it should be his fight to lose.

89KukZm.png

Headline Two: (Cage Warriors Signings)

Cage Warriors sign Carlos Condit, Renzo Gracie, Bob Sapp, and many other fighters to deals

The relatively small region British promotion has recently made some huge splashes by signing multiple decently big named free agents their most prized signing being Carlos Condit (20-4) consider an elite Welterweight in the world he last held the WEC Welterweight title at WEC 26 and is now confirmed to be fighting for the Cage Warriors Welterweight strap sometime in July-September he currently signed for 4 fights with the promotion. Another two solid signings are two Bantamweight in Renan Barao (8-1) and resigned Brad “One Punch” Pickett (10-3) both fights are on a three-fight deal, Barao has quickly become one of the better Bantamweight in the world on at the age of 20 his creative and dynamic striking mixed with deadly BJJ has lead some possibly circle him as a pound-for-pound king meanwhile Pickett is a anywhere anytime fighter who loves to brawl it out his ground game is questionable but he has been working on his wrestling plus BJJ recently.

In terms of popularity however, the regional promotion is probably most excited about signing Renzo Gracie (13-6-1-1NC) a prominent member of the Gracie family to a 7-fight deal although at the age of 40 it’s highly unlikely he will fulfill all 7 of those fights but just the fact he signed the dotted line with Cage Warriors is seen as a pretty huge win despite some naysayers pointing out his age being 40 years old. Also a big signing who is on the older side of things is the 41 year old Heavyweight Garry Goodbrige (23-15-1) and 34 year old Bob Sapp (8-2-1) both are pretty similar fighters both are huge who love to stand and bang but the ground game is pretty below average. Both have been labeled glass cannons as neither can take a lot of damage due to some brutal finishes mainly to Goodrbige but he is currently riding a 4-fight win streak all first round finishes so maybe he is starting to find his form as he hits the end of his career. Sapp has recently expressed he’d actually like to fight Goodbridge in his debut for Cage Warriors and talked about the transition from PRIDE to Cage Warriors.

“I think a fight between me and Garry [Goodbridge] would be fun I don’t think it’d last long but it would fun, going from America fighting in regional promotions to fighting in Japan with Pride and now I’m here in England it’s gonna be an adjustment but I love England and I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t worth my time”

Bob Sapp

Besides that quick soundbite the rest of the signings gave fairly generic answers wanting to fight whoever and whenever for their debut, according to Blurcats Micheal Hughes the promotion isn’t done signing a whole new crop of fighters and are current in discussion to sign Lightweight Eddie Alvarez (10-1), Middleweights Gegard Mousasi (15-2-1) and Melvin Manhoef (17-3-1) mostly known for his epic 18 second knockout of Heavyweight Mark Hunt and are officially near a deal with Heavyweight legend Dan Severn (85-15-7).

Lkq138e.png

Headline Three: (EliteXC Fight Announcement + Rivalry)

Antonio Silva and James Thompson booked for Heavyweight championship in July + Nick Diaz challenges Antonio McKee to “street fight” after heated press conference

Main-Event

Heavyweight: James Thompson (14-6) vs. Antonio Silva (8-1)

For Vacant EliteXC Heavyweight Championship

Co-Main

Welterweight: Joey Villasenor (23-5) vs. Josh Rafferty (7-5)

For Vacant EliteXC Welterweight Championship

Main-Card

Welterweight: Nick Diaz (14-6-1NC) vs. Antonio McKee (19-3-2)

Welterweight: Jonathan Goulet (17-7-1NC) vs. Bobby Voelker (12-2)

Middleweight: Robbie Lawler (14-4) vs. Steve Steinbeiss (1-1)

Prelims

Heavyweight: Jake Rosholt (0-0) vs. Jason Day (13-6)

Bantamweight: Johnny Bedford (2-4-1) vs. Joe Pearson (17-8-1)

Lightweight: Bobby McMaster (5-1) vs. Daniel Pineda (2-0)

Women’s Featherweight: Mika Harigai (5-18-1) vs. Jennifer Tate (2-0)

Heavyweight: Dave Huckada (4-1) vs. Jared Hamman (6-0)

Middleweight: Steve Heath (11-4) vs. Jesse Bongfeldt (14-6)

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the California based promotion EliteXC after missing out on many major signings most notably going all in to try and sign Brock Lesnar only to fall flat the roster is relatively unchanged with the only notable signing be the undefeated (3-0) Middleweight Brian Stann their announced fight card for July originally wasn’t going to be incorporated into the weekly recaps simply due to how uneventful the card was sure the main-event is interesting as two powerhouses in James Thompson and Antonio Silva fight for the vacant EliteXC Heavyweight title with both having a lot of the line with a potential win. For Thompson he becomes the first fighter from Great Britain to win a championship in a regionally recognized mma organization meanwhile a win for Silva gives him a huge boost in popularity as he is on the final fight on his deal with EliteXC and can except a huge payday when he enters free agency.

Besides the main-event only two one other fight stands-out with Nick Diaz bout with Antonio McKee mainly due to the notorious bad boy reputation of Nick Diaz also worth noting besides the main-event this is the only fight that doesn't have a massive favorite as McKee is a (+150) favorite many other fights have (+300-1160) favorites particularly the Welterweight championship bout on the card which has Joey Villasenor a (+1160) favorite. Like stated originally this relatively lackluster event on paper wasn’t going to be covered knowing that the card didn’t really have a lot of hype around it the promotion held a last minute press conference but knowing the four fighters challenging for the vacant titles aren’t known for making the most headline catching statements so it was no a brainer to invite Nick Diaz and his opponent. Classic Diaz was 10 minutes late for the press conference but before he showed up reporter Ariel Helwani asked McKee opinion on Nick Diaz’s little brother Nate Diaz asking his thoughts on Diaz brothers and if he expected Nate to do well on the UFC’s Ultimate Fighter?

“I think both fighters are average, both their records suggest they win some and lose some look at my record. I have won 19 out of my 24 fights. As for Nate I think he lives in the shadow of his brother he tries to be his brother too much he isn’t his own man”.

- Antonio McKee

After Diaz showed up Helwani told the Stockton native about McKee’s comments this instantly put Diaz into a rage telling McKee to “keep my brothers name out of your mouth motherf**ker!”. McKee said he only answered the question “honestly” and told Nick “the truth hurts”. Diaz got up from his chair making a b-line for McKee but promoter Benjamin Cooper plus security separate the two Diaz would flip McKee the double bird while shouting at him to a “street fight like a real f**kin man, you fake motherf**ker!”. So now the card which had no interest whatsoever has the entire fanbase of the mma landscape waiting in anticipation for its arrival as this nuclear rivalry between Diaz and Mckee has lifted this event to new heights.

zZxEdXW.png

Main-Event

Heavyweight: (CHAMP) Randy Couture (15-8) vs. Fedor Emelianenko (27-1-NC)

For UFC Heavyweight championship

[Couture 1st attempted Defense]

Co-Main

Light-Heavyweight: Forrest Griffin (13-4) vs. Wanderlei Silva (31-7-1-1NC)

Main-Card

Lightweight: Sam Strout (11-2-1) vs. Clay Guida (21-7)

Lightweight: Melvin Guillard (21-6-2-1NC) vs. Caol Uno (23-9-4)

Heavyweight: Mark Hunt (5-3) vs. Pedro Rizzo (15-7)

Prelims

Heavyweight: Roy Nelson (8-2) vs. Fabricio Werdum (9-3-1)

Welterweight: Edilberto de Oliveria (8-1-1) vs. John Kolosci (8-4)

Lightweight: David Baron (13-2) vs. Chris Horodecki (10-0)

Lightweight: Mac Danzig (16-4-1) vs. Andy Wang (5-6)

Welterweight: Paul Taylor (8-1-1-NC) vs. Jason Gilliam (11-1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main-Event

Heavyweight: James Thompson (14-6) vs. Antonio Silva (8-1)

For Vacant EliteXC Heavyweight Championship

Co-Main

Welterweight: Joey Villasenor (23-5) vs. Josh Rafferty (7-5)

For Vacant EliteXC Welterweight Championship

Main-Card

Welterweight: Nick Diaz (14-6-1NC) vs. Antonio McKee (19-3-2)

Welterweight: Jonathan Goulet (17-7-1NC) vs. Bobby Voelker (12-2)

Middleweight: Robbie Lawler (14-4) vs. Steve Steinbeiss (1-1)

Prelims

Heavyweight: Jake Rosholt (0-0) vs. Jason Day (13-6)

Bantamweight: Johnny Bedford (2-4-1) vs. Joe Pearson (17-8-1)

Lightweight: Bobby McMaster (5-1) vs. Daniel Pineda (2-0)

Women’s Featherweight: Mika Harigai (5-18-1) vs. Jennifer Tate (2-0)

Heavyweight: Dave Huckada (4-1) vs. Jared Hamman (6-0)

Middleweight: Steve Heath (11-4) vs. Jesse Bongfeldt (14-6)

DDaDUCm.png

2007 June Week 4 Recap

AniNn8n.png

[Headline One]: UFC 72 Results and Recap

Anderson Silva defeats Dan Henderson with a chilling knockout for the first defense of his Middleweight title

Critical Rating: (78%), Commercial Rating: (80%)

Attendance: 6,130 (Gate $1.9 Million)

Venue: Oracle Arena, Oakland (California)

Main-Event

Anderson Silva def. Dan Henderson via KO [Flying Knee] (R3 - 1:11) To Retain UFC Middleweight Title

Co-Main

George St-Pierre def. Josh Koscheck via KO [Eblows] (R3 - 4:53)

Main-Card

Jason Tan def. Roman Mitichyan via UD (29-28x3)

Joe Stevenson def. Dim Thomas via UD (30-27x3)

Houston Alexander def. Matt Hamill via KO [Punch] (R2 - 0:29)

Prelims

Eddie Sanchez def. Christian Wellisch via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 0:25)

Ricardo Almedia draw. Steven Bruno (28-29, 28-28, 28-28)

Thales Leites def. Rory Singer via TKO [Head Kick & Punches] (R1 - 4:57)

Jason Reinhardt def. Jorge Gurgel UD (30-27x3)

Hector Ramirez def. Kalib Starnes via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 1:42)

Fight of the Night - Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson

Knockout of the Night - Anderson Silva & Houston Alexander

Submission of the Night - N/A

In a great scrap Anderson Silva defeated Dan Henderson to cement himself as the best Middleweight on the planet as Silva picked up his 2nd win of 2007 and his 1st title defense of his UFC championship. The fight started in favor of the challenger as Henderson was capitalizing on a slow start from Silva who was trying implement his usual counter strike game plan using slick head movement and kicks, Henderson did an excellent job throwing the two jabs to the body followed by a hook up the top which he landed at will throughout the first. Silva meanwhile seemed content with landing only one or two strike typically some slick shots to the body but by the end of the round Henderson had a significant advantage in total strikes landed to Silva but a huge bright spot early on for the champ would be his impressive takedown defense stuffing 3 takedowns one in particularly near the end he was able to drag “Hendo” into the clinch to land a deflating knee to the body. Start of the 2nd it looked to be all over for the champ as Henderson once coming in with another combination starting from the body then transitioning to the head saw his trademark "H-Bomb" land directly on the chin of Anderson the same shot which knocked out one of his mentors Wanderlei Silva the power punch made Anderson do the chicken dance all the way to the cage in which Henderson started to unload with some heavy hooks and tried to land another overhand to finish the fight. Silva survived using his slick head movement plus some footwork to circle out to the middle of the cage but Henderson wasn’t backing off furiously running after Silva in an attempt to land the finishing blow while charging at Silva the champ unleashed a wicked front kick to the face which sent Henderson to the canvas. The Oracle crowd began to live up to the “roar-acle” nickname as the fans was on their feet screaming as Anderson tried to finish off Henderson with elbows from the mount, Henderson would survive a vicious beating from Silva to the end of the round but the third round would be the end for him as the start of the round saw Silva starting to throw combinations of jabs, straights, hooks and uppercuts mixed in with an array of head kicks for good measure Henderson in desperation shot for the takedown from way outside he was meet by a flying knee from Anderson Silva which knocked Henderson cold as he fell face first onto the canvas. With his hand raised by referee Herb Dean an emotional Silva admitted to Joe Rogan that with the in camp drama plus rib injury combined to make this the “hardest and most mentally exhausting” fights of his life but also is a “great relief” to have it all over with. Silva has now become the first person to ever finish Henderson via strikes and speaking of Henderson he has been slapped with a 7-month medical suspension so we probably won’t be seeing “Hendo” until 2008.

GSP would get back on the winning track against the cocky Josh Koscheck fighting in front of his hometown crowd although you probably couldn’t tell due to the boos, Koscheck prediction of a first round finish would almost come true except it was GSP who nearly finished him as to start the round St-Pierre landed a quick jab, straight then superman punch to drop the mouthy Welterweight 20 seconds into the fight. The rest of the fight would be a typical GSP performance with strong wrestling controlling his opponent from the top and when the fight was on the feet St-Pierre was able to pepper his opponents with jabs and a few creative karate kicks to the leg n’ body. Koscheck would have his leg chewed up as he could barely stand at times which resulted in some bad footwork which allowed GSP to floor him again late in the third with a question mark kick to the head, a patient St-Pierre would get the mount and rain down some brutal elbows to open up a massive cut these elbows around the near shut right eye key of his Koscheck this would also KO him 7 seconds before the end of the fight. Despite the easy victory GSP would come out with a 7-month medical suspension as the California State Athletic Commission revealed George had suffered multiple tears in his wrist, knee, and foot which is a shame as George would call out Matt Serra to a rematch but most likely he’ll have to fight another time before he can get a crack at the title due to such a long layoff but on the bright side an extremely injured GSP still battered his opponent from start to finish, Koscheck would also receive a 7-month medical suspension to heal from a broken orbital he got during the fight as well as the swelling on his legs.

6LeNDij.png

Going down the rest of the card Joe Stevenson would dominate Dim Thomas completely out grappling him in all 3 rounds nearly submitting him with an Armbar in the 1st and RNC in the 3rd. Houston Alexander had a beautiful knockout sequence which rivaled the likes of Silva’s walk off flying knee KO tonight, it started after Alexander slipped 5 punches from Hamill ducking the one-two and slipping all three following hooks Alexander would land a flush counter hook which wobbled Hamill then feinted an uppercut before laying Hamill as stiff as a board with a looping overhand right on the button both Alexander and Silva would win Knockout of the Night mainly due to no one winning Submission of the night with no submission finishes on the card. A hyped up Houston Alexander took the mic from Joe Rogan to announce his next fight,

“I want the dragon! I want Lyoto Machida! I’ll go face him Brazil or America anywhere he’s undefeated 10-0 and I’d love to be that 1 next to his name”.

- Houston Alexander

The “Dragon” Lyoto Machida (10-0) is quickly rising through the UFC’s Light-Heavyweight division his karate base style has left him untested a fight against a technical power puncher like Houston Alexander would be a good test to see if his style of fighting can translate to the top contenders of the division. Machida who was in attendance to cheer on his friend Anderson Silva told reports he’d “glady” fight Alexander. As for other noteworthy Jason Tan upset the (+300) favorite and third degree black-belt in Judo Roman Mitichyan by stuffing 4 out of 5 takedowns exposing Roman’s truly awful striking there were also 3 first round finishes on the prelims as Eddie Sanchez, Thales Leites, and Hector Ramirez pick up some quick cash as the UFC looks to book all three on them soon on a quick turnaround. All in all UFC 72 was a definitive success a very entertaining crowd with a main-event super fight that lived up to the hype now lets see if the UFC can keep up this level of entertainment to keep the spot of the “No.1 MMA promotion in the world” Dana White proclaims it to be. Nothing else really happened no fight announcements, big signings, rivalries, just UFC 72 as the whole Mixed Marital Arts world witnessed Anderson Silva become undoubtedly the best Middleweight on the planet and the man to beat from here on out.

G1aIwYq.png

DDaDUCm.png

2007 July Week 1 Recap

h84gZZE.png

[Headline One]: The Ultimate Fighter Season 3 “Lightweights” Announced

BJ Penn and Jens Pulver to act as coaches for the season

The Ultimate Fighter returns with a whole crop of impressive up and coming talent UFC president Dana White described this seasons cast as the “most skillful and battle ready cast” the Ultimate Fighter has ever seen,

“When you look at the past season and even I will admit that some people just don’t deserve to be there and are only filling in a roster spot this season, anyone can win it this time around which just makes it way more exciting. It’s still the same old Ultimate Fighter but with the most skillful and battle beady cast we’ve ever seen can’t wait for a great season”.

- Dana White

The coaches for this season are top contending Lightweights BJ Penn and Jens Pulver the two have a recorded hatred for each other nothing personal per say more like a very harsh competitive rivalry as Jens Pulver has been openly bragging about holding a victory over Penn's head while BJ Penn himself has called Pulver's win a “bulls**t decision" and plans to “plunge Jen’s career into irrelevancy” with a big win on the show and in their eventual rematch later this year. As proven before on the show hatred sells and these two are already doing a fantastic job hyping it up and viewers haven’t even met the cast speaking of which lets introduce them.

Nate Diaz (5-2)/ Age: 22/ Height: 6’0”/ Style: Boxer/BJJ

Frankie Edgar (7-0)/ Age: 25/ Height: 5’6”/ Style: Boxer/Wrestling

Corey Hill (1-0)/ Age: 28/ Height: 6’4”/ Style: Wrestling

Allen Berube (1-1)/ Age: 32/ Height 5’8”/ Style: Wrestling

Dennis Siver (10-4)/ Age: 28/ Height: 5’7”/ Style: Kickboxing

Jeremy Stehpens (12-2)/ Age: 21/ Height: 5’9”/ Style: Wrestling

Matt Gracie (9-1)/ Age: 25/ Height: 5’8”/ Style: Wrestling

Matt Wiman (6-3)/ Age: 23/ Height: 5’10”/ Style: Mixed Martial Arts

Michihiro Omigawa (4-4)/ Age: 31/ Height: 5’6”/ Style: Judo

Alberto Crane (8-0)/ Age: 31/ Height: 5’9”/ Style: BJJ

Brian Geraghty (17-10-1)/ Age: 26/ Height: 5’7”/ Style: Submission Wrestler

Gray Maynard (2-0)/ Age: 27/ Height: 5’8”/ Style: Wrestling

Cole Miller (11-2)/ Age: 23/ Height: 6’1”/ Style: BJJ

Joe Veres (4-1)/ Age: 30/ Height: 5’6”/ Style: Wrestling

Nate Mohr (7-4)/ Age: 24/ Height: 5’9”/ Style: Hybrid Fighter

Naoyuki Kotani (17-6-5)/ Age: 25/ Height: 5’8”/ Style: BJJ

More information about how they are and what happens to each fighters will be explored in each episode currently the favorites to win the show include Frankie Edgar, Nate Diaz, Gray Maynard, Jeremy Stehpens and a dark house candidate that Dana White himself named is Corey Hill.

“He’s very big and strong got one hell of a work ethic but he is also very raw which means he has a lot of polishing which he can do with how hard he works. I think he is a dark horse to win it all”.

- Dana White

uII07bn.png

[Headline Two]: WEC Fight Announcement

WEC 29 to be headline by Jose Aldo and Mike Brown in a non-title fight main event for August Week 2

Main-Event

Featherweight: Mike Brown (16-4) vs. Jose Aldo (9-1)

3 Rounds Main Event

Co-Main

Lightweight: Donald Cerrone (6-0) vs. Todd Moore (10-0)

Main-Card

Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz (9-1) vs. Charlie Valencia (8-2)

Featherweight: Cub Swanson (10-1) vs. Mark Hominick (13-6)

Featherweight: Justin Robbins (7-2-1) vs. Ryan Schultz (16-9-1)

Prelims

Featherweight: Masanori Kanehara (9-3-4) vs. Cody McKenzie (3-0)

Lightweight: JJ Amrose (7-2) vs. Eric Reynolds (3-0)

Bantamweight: Tashiro Nishiuchi (7-5-7) vs. Darren Uyenoyama (3-0)

Featherweight: Danny Batten (11-5-3) vs. Josh Grispi (8-1)

Bantamweight: Antonio Duarte (6-1) vs. Del Hawkins (21-11)

Featherweight: Tommy Lee (19-6-1NC) vs. Akiyo Nishiura (6-2)

Featherweight: Masahiro Osihi (14-10-7) vs. Shad Lierley (2-0)

Who will challenge the WEC Featherweight champion Urijah Faber (19-1) after his impressive 1st round submission victory over Rani Yahya (11-3) at WEC 28 just last week in June Week 3? Well the main-event looks to produce the next eventual challenger for “The California Kid” as both Brown and Aldo have the abilities to be the toughest challenger for the champ with a possible victory. Mike Brown is the pinnacle of an all-round fighter he does everything at a high-level also offering up excellent strategies in fight he has the potential to be a long reigning champion hitting the prime age of 31 we could could possibly see the best version of Mike Brown in the next couple of years which with how well rounded he already is spells disaster for the rest of the division. His opponent the 20 year old from Brazil Jose Aldo the next generation of Featherweight fighters what stands out most about Aldo is his leg kicks and insane takedown defense, Aldo current has a 95-98% takedown defense rate never being taken down more than once during a fight ever in his career he keeps the fight standing to launch with some crisp boxing plus devastating leg kicks which often leave his opponents unable to walk. The betting odds reflect how many fans feel for this upcoming bout as both are (-110) a 50-50 betting line exactly what fans see a true 50-50 fight one that will shape the future of the division as rumors' of a WEC and UFC merger continues to swirl.

Two undefeated Lightweights meet in the co-main as Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone decorated for his mauy-thai, kickboxing, and BJJ off his back takes on the vicious ground and pound machine in Todd Moore a possible fight of the night contender along with another bout on the main-card is Cub Swanson and Mark Hominick a for sure banger of a fight will see two fringe Featherweight contenders rise up to a possible title-shot while neither will get one with a win it does put the possible winner in the right direction. The last noteworthy fighter to mention is Dominick Cruz dropping down to Bantamweight after suffering his first loss to Featherweight champion Urijah Faber, despite the devastating 1st round submission loss many experts are still very high on Cruz due to his unique footwork, head movement and his fluid punches in bunches. The event will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino with exclusive broadcasting rights being air on My Network (TV).

xiMFhRj.png

[Headline Three]: UFC Signings

UFC signs Viktor Belfort, Chael Sonnen, Josh Barnett and Alistar Overeem

The UFC welcomes the return of former UFC champions in Viktor Belfort (15-8) and Josh Barnett (23-5) both previously competed in PRIDE when it was the clear number one promotion in the world but now find themselves back in the company they were both champions in earlier in their career. Barnett currently holds the record for being the youngest champion in UFC history defeating Randy Couture at UFC 36, Belfort would also defeat Couture at UFC 46 to win the Light-Heavyweight championship due to a very controversial doctor's stoppage 49 seconds into the fight with a cut on the eye. Both have also proclaimed their want to reclaim their championship while the other signings in Chael Sonnen (19-8-1) plus Alister Overeem are also just as vocal about getting a title-shot. Built like a Roman statue the Heavyweight Alistar Overeem (24-10) nicknamed “The Demolition Man” looks to demolish all opponents in his way on his way to a championship when asked if he is impressed with any fighters in the UFC’s Heavyweight division he seemed to take to question as a type of insult,

“Seriously? No one in this division has any skill; they just swing rapid punches then gas out after throwing it, no one has the striking or wrestling to compete with me. I personally don’t have high opinions of anyone on this roaster”.

- Alistar Overeem

GYeSiqD.png

1B02zw4.png

2007 July Week 2 Recap

Uwba6rW.png

[Headline One]: UFC Fight Night: Franklin v. Bisping Result & Recap

Franklin secures title-shot with an impressive come from behind 2nd round knockout

Critical Rating: (69%), Commercial Rating: (58%)

Attendance: 1,146 (Gate $171,900)

Venue: Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, (Louisiana)

Main-Event

Rich Franklin def. Micheal Bisping via KO [Punch] (R2 - 3:14)

[Fight Rating: Good]

Co-Main

Cain Velasquez def. Cheick Kongo via TKO [Punches] (R3 - 2:31)

[Fight Rating: Great]

Main-Card

Junior Assuncao def. Alvin Robinson via SUB [Guillotine] (R2 - 1:17)

[Fight Rating: Decent]

Justin Buchholz def. Manny Gamburyan via UD (30-27x2, 29-28)

[Fight Rating: Average]

Tom Speer def. Luke Cummo via TKO [Punches] (R3 - 0:42)

Prelims

Dorian Price def. Matt Arroyo via SUB [Rear-Naked Choke] (R2 - 4:09)

Roan Carneiro def. Jon Koppenhaver via TKO [Knees & Punches] (R2 - 0:44)

Luke Caudillo def. Rob Emerson via SD (28-29, 29-28x2)

John-Olva Einemo def. Justin McCully via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 1:45)

George Sotriopoulos def. Diego Saraiva UD (30-27x3)

Fight of the Night - Cain Velasquez vs. Cheick Kongo

Knockout of the Night - Rich Franklin

Submission of the Night - Junior Assuncao

A decent fight-card has wrapped up in Louisiana as Rich Franklin only a year removed from losing his title to Anderson Silva at UFC 64 has fought his way back to the mountain top to challenge

Silva in an eventual rematch either later this year or early 2008. But by the start it looked like “The Count” Michael Bisping would pull off the upset early on as round one saw Bisping come out

bouncy using excellent footwork to come in close and dart out dictating the pace of the fight for practically the entire round as the former champion seemed absolutely clueless at times. Whenever Franklin advanced he ate an array of leg kicks plus straight punches then whenever he backed up or decided to stay stationary Bisping was able to rattle off 4 to 5 punch combinations easily, Franklin did have one moment in the first where he checked a leg kick then counted with a beautiful straight and right hook both landed cleanly but Bisping shook it off coming back with a solid uppercut than landed cleanly before following up with two hooks to the body then a leg kick to finish the round. Round two starts it's the same story for the first minute with Bisping darting in and out as Franklin couldn’t seem to find the mark at all one thing he did notice was “The Count” had ended particularly all his combos with a leg kick whenever Franklin tried to advance forward so when the two fighters met in the middle after another combination from Bisping which saw him land a double-jab ducking the right hook of Franklin coming over the top with a hook of his own which just grazed the forehead as excepted Bisping ended the combination with a leg kick. A hard check from Franklin saw him briefly grab the mauy-thai clinch to land a huge knee to the head that opened a cut above the right eye of Bisping his once fluid long stance footwork was now upright plus stiff “Ace” had him hurt but was patient in his attack waiting until Bisping launched his own attack as he cracked “The Count'' again with a counter right-hook then straight followed by another hook making it the first three punch combination Franklin had landed in the fight. Bisping retreated to the cage in desperation he started throwing with some wild intentions but a calm Franklin wasn’t harmed by any of these rapid flurries after the end of one of these flurries Rich Franklin faked going for a takedown causing Bisping to completely lower his guard to stuff it, this fake attempted masked Franklins true attack in an overhand right landing straight on the chin causing the previously undefeated fighter the lay down stiff against the cage in humiliating defeat. The walk off KO reminded many of Silva’s previous walk KO against Dan Henderson at UFC 72 igniting the interest for a possible rematch the two men after the bout were nothing but class with Bisping giving an honest assessment of what went wrong.

“My attack become to predictable I started to throw the same sh** over and over again it was a terrible mistake by me. Franklin adjusted put me to f**kin sleep nothing else to say I will be back I won’t quit, I’ve never feared losing I’ve lost plenty of times both in and out of the octagon. This hurts like f**k I can’t lie, this is a huge setback for me but I’m not ashamed of myself I did my best so did Rich [Franklin] I hope he gets his belt back he deserves it”.

- Michael Bisping

Y1v4NOE.png

The co-main event would win Fight of the Night honors as well as being Cain Velasquez’s start off to contender ship in the UFC’s Heavyweight division. Velasquez started off the first round nullifying Kongo’s superior stand-up with close range dirty boxing often battering up Kongo with elbows, bus driver uppercuts, and knees to the body. The huge advantage is weight plus more experienced wrestling allowed Cain to smother his opponent for the entire round successfully landing 2 out of 3 takedowns nearly finishing his opponent in the last 20 seconds of the round with ground in pound from full guard as an elbow from up top opened a significant cut under his right eye. Round two starts with an another immediate clinch started from Velasquez two big bus driver uppercuts hurt Kongo followed by an elbow on the right dome of his head as they separated marching down his opponent Velasquez goes for and gets a big doubled-legged slam at as Cheick Kongo was recovering lying against the octagon cage. More big ground and pound nearly finished Kongo off as he gave up his back nearly getting submitted via a rear-naked choke twice before a good sprawl saw the two stand-up after 3 minutes on the ground. With two left and a whole lot of energy used up Cain was more laxed not pushing the pace as he previously was this to a flew exchanges from the two fighters but nothing significant landed to the head but Kongo was starting to find the body as he let loose with an array of hooks to the body. After landing three straight hooks to the body with his guard lower a one-two wobbled Velasquez in a panic Cain would rush to get back to wrestling his opponent but Kongo predicted this landing a clean 4 punch combination that started with a counter straight then three hooks with the last one landing behind the ear Velasquez was nearly dropped to the canvas but stayed upright surviving the last 30 seconds to the end of the round. After a successful end to the 2nd round Kongo was feeling pretty good so at the start of the 3rd he rushed his opponent to finish him off but missed baldy and was dragged down to the mat, Kongo now starting to gas out himself couldn’t shake off his opponent with Velasquez grabbing full mount he was pounded out.

It would be hard to also not only mention the 2nd greatest upset this year (according to betting odds) as Luke Caudillo a (+720) underdog scored a split decision victory over Rob Emerson (-920) favorite. This fight had barely any buzz of analysis draw towards it mainly due to such the huge betting favorite but to summarize it shortly Emerson is an experienced Vale Tudo fighter with excellent wrestling with good enough stand-up, Caudillo is a heavy hitting boxer who is an awful wrestler with even worse takedown defense plus submission defense it was expected to be a quick show up n’ tap type of fight but Caudillo cracked Emerson early in the fight with a slick counter right hook to the body after ducking a jab then floored him with an uppercut. Spending most of the round off his back Emerson went on to take some serious punishment as Caudillo was landing some brutal ground and pound for the majority of the round. Round two comes around with Caudillo piercing up Emerson on the feet as he couldn’t find a way to get in for the takedown as straight punches plus leg kicks kept him at bay for the first 4 minutes but eventually the back pedaling Caudillo was trapped against the cage then promptly takendown immediately his lack of ground game showed as Emerson grabbed mount and pounded away for the rest of the round opening up his opponent on the right side of his head with an elbow the fight arguably should of been stopped but referee Mario Yamaski didn’t intervene. Last round and first thing to happen was another immediate takedown from Emerson but maybe from fatigue or to recover from the damage he had taken in the opening rounds he just laid on stop of his opponent for three minutes offering only a few punches leading to the ref standing the two up as soon as they stood up Caudillo rocked Emerson with a straight then one-two dropping him with another uppercut but a good sprawl from his opponent prevented him from finding the finish blow with one minute left Emerson was actually now starting to outland Caudillo as he found a home for his one-two through the dying seconds of the fight. But despite outlanding his opponent significantly in round 3 the brief knockdown sequence was enough for Caudillo to be rewarded the decision, one fighter not impressed by his performance plus the fight as a whole was Justin Buchholz after dominating his fight where he stuffed 10 out of 10 takedowns with some media members rewarding him a 30-25 card with how dominate he was told Joe Rogan.

“I saw [Luke] Caudillo and [Rob] Emerson fight what a travesty that was. Vale Tudo and he doesn't even attempt one f**kin submission in the entire fight? Like seriously are you that f**kin stupid? I’ll correct the result of that one. Give me Caudillo, he's a complete bum”.

- Justin Buchholz

Junior Assuncao won submission of the night with a nice standing Guillotine after rocking his opponent with a flurry of hooks while he recovering against the cage, the young Welterweight Tom Speer picked up a TKO win advancing to 12-1 he has be dubbed by Joe Rogan a ‘sleeper prospect’ as he trains out of the same gym as Brock Lesnar and UFC Lightweight champion Sean Sherk. Speer already had some high-level wrestling but now that he is starting to better his stand-up maybe he will slide into title-contentions in the near future.

lqcLzja.png

[Headline Two]: EliteXC: Silva vs. Thompson Recap & Results

EliteXC wow fans with two fight of the year contenders at EliteXC Silva v. Thompson

Critical Rating: (84%), Commercial Rating: (44%)

Attendance: 1,022 (Gate $140,832)

Venue: Delmar Fieldhouse, (Texas)

Main-Event

Antonio Silva def. James Thompson via (SUB) [Armbar] (R2 - 1:32) to win vacant EliteXC Heavyweight title

[Fight Rating: Fantastic]

Co-Main

Josh Rafferty def. Joey Villasenor via UD (48-47x3) to win vacant EliteXC Welterweight title

Main-Card

Nick Diaz def. Antoni McKee via KO [Knee & Punches] (R3 - 4:19)

Jonathan Goulet def. Bobby Volelker via TKO [Eblows] (R3 - 1:21)

Robbie Lawler def. Steve Steinbeiss via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 0:45)

Prelims

Jake Rosholt def. Jason Day via SUB [RNC] (R2 - 1:32)

Joe Pearson def. Johnny Beford via SUB [Triangle-Armbar] (R2 - 1:35)

Bobby McMasters def. Daniel Pineda via TKO [Knee’s] (R2 - 0:45)

Jennifer Tate def. Mika Harigai via SUB [Guillotine] (R1 - 1:48)

Dave Huckaba def. Jared Hamman via KO [Punch] (R1 - 0:10)

Jesse Bongfeldt def. Steve Heath via UD (30-27x3)

rodrigoviolim - 7/11 correct predictions

Fight of the Night - Antonio Silva v. James Thompson & Jonathan Goulet v. Bobby Volelker

Knockout of the Night - Dave Huckaba

Submission of the Night - Jennifer Tate

You know the saying the “great cards are often the least hyped” really shined tonight as while only a little over a thousand people attended tonight's EliteXC event with disappointing TV numbers those who watched saw some of the best MMA action all year with two Fight of the Year contenders on one card a Knockout of the year contender as well as the fastest knockout in Heavyweight history in MMA an upset of the year candidate (being the biggest betting upset in the history of MMA) plus one of the most anticipated grudge matches in recent memory it's hard to know where to begin but we will start with the main-event. Round one was the type of round that doesn't exist in real life and probably shouldn’t yet it happened as the two fighters decided to reenact fight scenes from the Rocky movies as the two stood and traded heavy shots for the entire round. With the threat of the takedown being so high Thompson always had his hands low making it easy for Silva to find the target but that being said the Englishmen also tried to knockout his opponent to prevent the fight from ever hitting the mat. Here are some notable moments throughout the round the start saw Silva establish a consistent jab feeling confident after land 5 consecutively came over the top with a lead right elbow clashing against the dome of Thompsons head quickly grabbing the mauy-thai clinch landing three knees two the body one to the head but as they separated Thompson faked a jab to land a jaw crushing straight while Silva eat it at the time the shot did indeed reveal a fracture in Silva’s jaw sensing momentum was on his side Thompson threw two venomous right hooks both where blocked so he jumped back a little Antonio thinking Thompson attacking was over lowered his guard but would eat a fast head kick that landed clean on his dome that started a small cut. This led to a wild exchange Silva started it off landing a big one-two but his lead elbow was slipped this time as Thompson landed a huge right hook right on Silva’s chin he followed it up with two busdriver uppercuts as the two briefly clinched. The pacing of the fight didn’t stop as the two stood in front of each other looking for the knockout Silva had the better head movement but Thompson counter striking seemed to be doing more damage as a hard jab followed by a looping hook crush Silva’s nose but Silva also did his fair share of damage too as Thompson eat a two hook then uppercut combination which led to a leg kick which roughed up the Brits leg. Noticing this new way of attack Silva started to empathize leg kicks into almost every attack he would land 4 leg kicks in the round. Another wild exchange led to the first takedown of the fight as Silva after blocking a head kick landed a four punch combination of jabs n’ straights then easily secured the double-legged takedown but with only 20 seconds left Thompson survived. As round two started it was clear Silva’s corner got to him as they yelled for the takedown to stop this rock em sock em robots battle on the feet which he was at risk of being knocked out but the first minute was relatively the same as the entire first round the two traded big hooks which lead to a wild exchange as Silva landed a nice uppercut followed by a lead elbow but after was meet by a looping hook behind the back of the ear plus a leaping flying knee straight to the body but Silva would grab this knee and drag his opponent down to the mat. Securing mount he rained down some punishment before locking in an armbar to secure the victory and the championship in an all out Heavyweight war.

It would be hard to top that but the Welterweight bout between Jonathan “The Road Warrior” Goulet v. Bobby “Vicious” Volelker bout depending on your own opinion could be better or a very close 2nd behind it as the best fight on this card. The fight started with the two fleeing each other out for the first 30 seconds trying to figure out the distance the first to strike was Voelker and it was infatic a nice jab was followed by a straight snapping Goulet’s head back but before he would counter attack another jab landed plus a clean head kick followed by another jab then a one-two then leg. Living to his “Vicious” nickname he was looking for the finish blow but missed baldy one a straight leaving him open to a hard overhand by “The Road Warrior” who roared his way back into the fight throwing a lead knee to the body that led to a clinch where he roughed Voelker up against the cage with some dirty boxing for the next minute. After circling out the two took turns exchanging some brief jabs and leg kicks until Volelker again launched another wild combination of strikes at during the finale 30 seconds of the round landing a one-two then roundhouse kick followed by an uppercut then right hook all strikes landed and if there were 10 seconds left in the round we might of seen a 1st round TKO or knockout. But the fight went into round two with Volelker looking to overwhelm his opponent with more wild combinations as he looked as if he wasn't tired at all but he a threw a rather predictable one-two then leg kick all where slipped then check allowed a solid three punch combination from Goulet as he landed another signature lead knee the body followed by a straight then hook but Volelker answered back with a hook of his own took. The next few minutes of the round were more feiting and single strikes but Goulet was able to again clinch up with Volelker allowing for some more dirty boxing against the cage before being dragged down to the mat. It looked like it was all over as Goulet immediately got side-control to secure a Kimura submission that was dangerously close but Voelker showed the heart of a lion by not tapping and find a way to get out but using up all his energy still being stuck in side-control he again was nearly finished as “The Road Warrior” blooded him up with elbows from up top for the last 20 seconds of the round these elbows opened up a cut on top and below his right eye. By the third round it seemed the damage was starting to get to “Vicious” as he threw a very sloppy one-two the was ducked then counter with a straight to the body then hook up top which made Voelker wobble to the cage trying to stay in the fight he threw a head kick in desperation but missed baldy and was takedown then promptly pounded out from full guard as he simply couldn’t take anymore damage.

ZqvIgs5.png

Moving on let's talk about the biggest upset on the card and possibly the biggest upset in the sport of combat as Josh Rafferty has won the vacant Welterweight title via a unanimous decision (48-47) on all three judges scorecards as the (-1130) Joey Villasenor would be defeated by the (+900) underdog Josh Raffery. Many excepted a one-sided beatdown and for the first two rounds we got exactly that as Villasenor was lighting up Rafferty who had no answers for Villasenor striking that being said his striking was fairly basic plus repetitive constantly throwing one-twos then a straight but it working as Rafferty had no answers for it until Villasenor told his corner he had broken his left hand in round two after punching Rafferty so many times this led to a brand new plan of attack from Villasenor he would throw jabs just jabs and only jabs nothing else. Maybe because his basic attack on straight punches was working so well he thought he didn’t need a new plan of attack to be fair this just jabs plan was working for the first 2 minutes as he kept Raffery at a distance with decent footwork plus fients which led to Raffery being peppered with jabs after jab but eventually he finally found a way throw this genius strategy was able to trap Villasenor against the cage and easily get the takedown as Villasenor didn’t really commit to stuffing them that much with a broken hand opting to just hold onto his opponent until the red stood them up. Huge mistake on his part as Rafferty despite some truly awful stand-up has some of the best top control plus ground in round in the world he is a surprisingly very busy fighter on top as Villasenor couldn’t find a way to stop him from transitioning at will ground full mount, to full guard, to side-control and even took his back at some points battering up Villasenor with ground strikes Villasenor was nearly submitted via an armbar from full mount but survived as the clock expired. Round 4 and 5 were practically the same round with Rafferty rushing at the start of the round for the takedown getting it and keeping it on the mat as Rafferty kept busy nearly finishing Villasenor in the 5th late in the round with another armbar but again the lock expired. While Josh Rafferty may not be the most feared champion he might be someone EliteXC can get behind, he is one of the most entertaining wrestlers in the sport and he could help rip off the “boring” label which is associated with wrestling. Joey Villasenor would not take to loss well in a post-fight interview he was memed by fans for his sour response to questions seeming to play the injury card a bit too much.

“I broke my hand. That win is not legitimate, I was beating him badly for the first two rounds. He is not the champion in my eyes you can’t be with such a tainted victory. I deserve a rematch which I’ll win easily like I was winning easily until I broke my hand. I don’t fear him [Joe Rafferty] at all. I'm the better fighter. What do I have to fear?”.

- Joey Villasenor

Did the broken hand change the fight? Yes it undoubtedly did but it was up to Joey Villasenor to fight through adversity which he simply did not as Rafferty rallied after being down two rounds and losing the third to win the fight to become the EliteXC Welterweight champion. Now time for what was the people's main-event in Nick Diaz versus Antonio McKee after the infamous press conference between the two with Diaz threatening McKee after he made comments about his little brother Nate the old Diaz brother totally dominated the entire fight from start to finish. His crisp boxing was on display as McKee could only land 11 punches throughout three rounds compared to Diaz’s 100+ in one of the most lopsided punch counts in MMA history McKee could never even attempt a takedown as he was under constant attack from Diaz who showed techniques like the spinning back fist plus some taekwondo kicks he had never publicly used in fights before. After cracking McKee with an uppercut Diaz would quickly grab the mauy-thai clinch to land a huge knee to the head then knockout McKee with a swift one-two which sent Antonio to the canvas. Now time to mention the four first round finishing including a knockout of the year contender the 2nd bout of the entire card including Dave Huckaba who weigh in at 265 pounds but would probably around 280 by fight night against Jared Hamman who weight in at 215 pounds and probably was the same weight coming into the fight the huge size advantage is already clear but that doesn't take away from the beautiful knockout sequence Huckaba pressured Hamman straight away looking to take advantage of his size he would fient a jab causing Hamman to go left where he was meet by a excellently place left overhand knocking him out instantly as Huckaba was one and done only threw one punch and won with that one punch. Jennifer Tate submitted Mika Harigai in the only female fight on the card Harigai rushed in for the takedown but was submitted with a slick Guillotine, Jake Rosholt would also waste no time submitting Jason Day with a rear-naed choke securing the takedown within 10 seconds then used excellent wrestling technique to submit him and to open the main card Robbie Lawler got a 45 second TKO by using his power advantage to land a devastating right hook plus hammer fists to win with a quick and convincing night at the office.

y9uvvR1.png

1B02zw4.png

2007 July Week 3 Recap

p4HPdSA.png

[Headline One]: Strikeforce: Sakuraba vs Rua Recap & Results

Sakuraba dominates Maurilo Rua to win vacant Strikeforce title

Critical Rating: (66%), Commercial Rating: (64%)

Attendance: 4,041 (Gate $835,275)

Venue: Amarillo Civic Center, (Texas)

Main-Event

Kazushi Sakuraba def. Murlio Rua via UD (50-45x3) to win vacant Strikeforce Middleweight title

Co-Main

Paul Daley def. Mike Pyle via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 1:55) to win vacant Strikeforce Welterweight title

Main-Card

Paul Buentello def. Maurice Smith via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 1:02)

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Alex Schoenauer via SD (29-28x2, 28-29)

[Fight Rating: Poor]

Josh Thomson def. Adam Lynn [Rear-Naked Choke] (R3 - 4:45)

*Jason Miller pulled out due to weigh-in issues*

Prelims

Ronaldo Souza def. Sanae Kikuta via UD (30-27x3)

Ryan Bader def. Alexandre Ferreira via UD (30-27x3)

Jan Nortje def. Carter Williams via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 0:36)

Jae Suk Lim def. Eddy Ellis via SUB [Armbar] (R1 - 2:09)

Seth Klienbeck def. Anthony Ruiz via TKO [body Punch] (R1 - 2:05)

Falaniko Vitale def. Jason Von Flue via SUB [Armbar] (R1 - 2:31)

*Billy Evangelista hand-injury pulled out 2 days before event*

*Jorge Santiago hip-injury pulled out 1 week before event*

Fight of the Night - N/A

Knockout of the Night - Paul Daley & Paul Buentello

Submission of the Night - Josh Thomson

The Gracie Hunter has sent a resounding message across the world that he is still able to compete at the highest level after securing a very dominant victory to secure Strikeforce’s Middleweight championship. His keys to victory was high-volume constant forward pace he gave Rua no chance to breathe when it came to striking as “The Gracie Hunter” constantly had his opponent on the backfoot, overwhelming Rua with kicks to the body plus punches in bunches while also putting on a wrestling clinic whenever he decided to take the fight to the mat with a perfect 5 for 5 on takedown attempts. The newly crowned Welterweight champ Paul Daley also had a very impressive performance taking less than two minutes to finish Mike Pyle, the fight started off slow with Pyle working with leg kicks from long range with a couple of straights to the body while Daley was waiting for that one perfect counter to end it all that came when Plye decided after landing one of those leg kicks plus a straight to the body to go up top with a one-two but Daley ducked countering while a looping right-hook on the button which wobbled Plye then a left-hook to the back of his opponent's ear as the two separated which put him down with ground and pound finishing him off.

Outside the main and co-main other main takeaways was the amount of injuries as 3 fights where pulled from the card in less than a week the biggest being Jason Miller was pulled from the card by the Texas Athletic State commission due to extensive weight cutting while a massive setback both Royce Gracie and Phil Baroni didn’t pass up the opportunity to take some pot shots at Miller after multiple alterations between the three. Performance wise it was filled with a lot of quick finishes or dominate displays prospects like Josh Thomosn and Ronaldo Souza walking away with huge victories as well as Maurice Smith walking away with another brutal knockout loss as Paul Buentello landed a beautiful counter right-hook off an ill-advised leg kick then uppercut to finish the former UFC Heavyweight champion. The only close fight was Antonio Rogerio Nogueira defeating Alex Schoenauer via a split decision in a snoofest of a grappling match that had little submission attempts or technique to write home about.

LH91sxz.png

[Headline Two]: UFC 75 announced for September Week 3 in Brazil

“Rampage” Jackson to defend Light-Heavyweight championship against Mauricio Rua in rematch

Main-Event

Light-Heavyweight: [CHAMP] Quinton Jackson (27-6) vs. Mauricio Rua (16-2)

[Jackson's First Attempted Title Defense]

Co-Main

Middleweight: Viktor Belfort (15-8) vs. Chris Leben (16-4)

Main-Card

Middleweight: Paulo Filho (14-0) vs. Chael Sonnen (19-8-1)

Light-Heavyweight: Houston Alexander (8-1-1NC) vs. Lyoto Machida (10-0)

Lightweight: Gesias Cavalcante (11-1-1) vs. Joe Lauzon (14-3)

Prelims

Middleweight: Demian Maia (6-0) vs. Ed Herman (14-5)

Light-Heavyweight: Thiago Silva (10-0) vs. Jamal Petterson (3-1)

Lightweight: Thiago Tavares (11-0) vs. Clay French (10-2)

Light-Heavyweight: Glover Teixeira (5-2) vs. Jason Brilz (13-1-1)

Lightweight: Marcus Aureilio (14-4) vs. Abdul Mohamed (13-4-2)

After dethroning the beloved Chuck Liddell with a brutal first round knockout Light-Heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is currently riding a 5-fight win-streak the last person to defeat Jackson was Mauricio Rua back at “PRIDE: Total Elimination 2005”. A former pupil of Wanderlei Silva, another heated rival to Jackson, Mauricio looks to move past the Anderson Silva drama which has plagued his career the last couple of weeks after the two had a falling out. A salivating co-main event see’s two axe murders take each other on as former UFC Light-Heavyweight champ Viktor Belfort moves down to the Middleweight division in his return fight to the promotion taking on Chris Leben a participant on the 1st season of The Ultimate Fighter. Belfort could possibly utilize his superior BJJ to tire out Leben but that depends really what type of game plan or mentality Belfort will have coming into the fight with, Leben has the slightly better boxing with power being pretty even but Belfort's background in Taekwondo could even out the stand-up.

The rest of the main-card is solidly stacked with two top Middleweight contenders in undefeated Brazilian BJJ black-belt Paulo Filho takes on all-American wrestler Chael Sonnen who has the ability to maul Filho with his high-pressure style of wrestling but he has been vulnerable to many submissions in the past most notably the triangle-choke. Going back to the Light-Heavyweight division Houston Alexander asked for and has received a match-up with the undefeated Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida whos karate style with illusive feints and footwork have left his opponents with very little in terms of strikes landed.

lhAf4dL.png

Machida hasn’t yet faced the top fighters of the Light-Heavyweight division Houston Alexander is riding a very impressive knockout victory over Mat Hamil at UFC 72 a month and a half ago. Alexander has some extreme knockout power with an ever-improving stand-up game but has gassed in the past, if Machida can implement the same gameplan he will walk out of the fight from prospect to contender.

To round out the rest of the card a whole crop of Brazilian prospects it littered throughout the card as every fight involves a fighter from Brazil these include Gesias Cavalcante a very well rounded MMA fighter with only one loss to his name, Glover Teixeira a sparring partner to former Light-Heavyweight champ Chuck Liddell another well rounded fighter who has a background in Taekwondo, along with three undefeated Brazilian fighters in grappling specialist Demian Maia, Thiago Tavares another sensation grappler with a deadly guillotine and finally Thiago Silva a headhunter with powerful punches plus kicks. Thiago Silva is currently one of the most inspiring fighters in the UFC coming up from a very rough upbringing running away from home at 13 to escape his abusive father leaving behind his beloved mother and young brother which he has unfortunately never seen again. He would live in the slums and attend high-school at night as he had to support himself with a day job once he graduated turning 18 he started training in MMA coming from an athletic background being very skilled in soccer he quickly picked up MMA and now is on the cusp of possibly gaining UFC gold as he looks for an impressive victory.

JYHsCqg.png

[Headline Three]: MMA Rivalries

Wanderlei Silva lashes out at Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, Dan Henerson, and Quinton Jackson in venomous interview

“The Axe Murder” Wanderlei Silva in a recent interview with reporter Ariel Helwani has fired many shots at many fighters during his brief time on the UFC roster in just this week alone he has ranted on four of the most popular fighters in the Light-Heavyweight division. Let's start with his upcoming opponent in Forrest Griffin while many fans love Griffin for his goofy persona plus just down to earth personality Wanderlei has label Griffin a ‘disrespectful clown’ who doesn't ‘respect’ the sport of MMA and is running it with his behavior. Most fans have labeled Wanderlei a ‘buzzkill’ but that hasn’t stopped him from continuously complaining about his opponent for the upcoming UFC 74, Griffin has taken the criticism in a classic Griffin way joking about how his opponent is so ‘mean and angry’ hoping this dosen’t led to him getting ‘viciously knocked out’. During that same interview Helwani asked Silva on his thoughts about the current state of the Light-Heavyweight division on where he thought he was currently in the mix, Wanderlei expressed even though he is on a 2-fight skid he still thinks he is the best Light-Heavyweight in the world calling for a rematch with Dan Henderson calling his knockout a “fluke”.

“If you look at how the fight was going I won every second of it then he landed a very lucky punch that I don’t think will ever land again so in my opinion it was a fluke. A rematch between us will probably go how the Anderson [silva] fight went with me leaving him brutally knocked out”.

- Wanderlei Silva

“The Axe Murder” wasn’t done yet taking some more shots at fighters he didn’t think very highly off the heated rivalry between the current champion Quinton Jackson the twos beef goes all the way back to when PRIDE was still running if any wondered if tensions have cooled between the two the answer is a very simple no.

HKoTMBQ.png

“He isn’t a champion in my eyes [Quinton Jackson] I am, I’ve defeated him twice in the two times we have fought. I’m the better fighter so to me I’m the champion, I only have respect for a few fighters like Chuck Liddell and [Lyoto] Machida the rest I don’t think very highly of”.

- Wanderlei Silva

The last fighter Silva mentioned has been very vocal himself in Tito Ortiz who is making his return after his 2nd loss to Chuck Liddell after Wanderlei signed with the UFC the former UFC Light-Heavyweight champion was quick to mock Silva as Ortiz defeated “The Axe Muder” in a one-sided unanimous decision to win the Light-Heavyweight belt before Wanderlei went on his legendary run in PRIDE in one of the more forgotten matches in UFC history no doubt the rematch between the two would do much better numbers now that they are both more established but both would need to gather a few more wins under their belt before a match-up between the two is even considered. Tito argued that Silva wasn’t really (31-7-1-1NC) but really “(0-7-1-1NC)” as he mocked the former PRIDE champion for being a “paid actor” in “scripted fights”. These comments have led to a bitter back and forth battle of verbal jabs between the two with Ortiz accusing Silva of steroids while Wanderlei has mocked his two losses to Liddell plus Frank Shamrock talking about how he will put on a ‘much worse beating’.

7nva4fX.png

• 2 weeks later...

nsM63UO.png

2007 July Week 4 Recap

2lI8xgS.png

[Headline One]: UFC 73 Recap & Results

Sherk edges out Franca with a controversial unanimous decision to defend Lightweight title

Critical Rating: (78%), Commercial Rating: (65%)

Attendance: 5,682 (Gate $875,028)

Venue: Indiana Farmers Coliseum, (Indiana)

Main-Event

Sean Sherk def. Hermes Franca via UD (49-46, 48-47x2) to retain UFC Lightweight title

Co-Main

Frank Trigg def. Anthony Torres via UD (30-27x3)

Brandon Vera pulls out with a foot injury at the weigh-in

Main-Card

Mike Swick def. Thiago Alves via TKO [Head Kick & Punches] (R2 - 3:57)

Gleison Tibau def. Terry Emit via UD (30-27x3)

Tim Kennedy def. Tamdan McCory via UD (30-27x3)

[Fight Rating: Average ]

Prelims

Vladimir Matyushenko def. Luiz Cane via TKO [Ground & Pound] (R2 - 2:31)

Rich Clementi def. Luiz Firmino via UD (30-27x2, 29-28)

Shinya Aoki def. Vitor Ribeiro via UD (29-28x3)

Joachim Hansen def. Mitsuhiro Ishida via UD (30-27x2, 30-26)

Fight of the Night - Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca

Knockout of the Night - Mike Swick

Sean “The Muscle Shark'' Sherk has successfully defended his Lightweight championship getting the unanimous decision victory over challenger Hermes Franca but despite the win, some media outlets are calling it an early robbery of the year candidate. The fight started out with some beautiful boxing from Franca throughout the first two minutes he was tagging Sherk with the one-two keeping him at a distance to prevent him from wrestling then started to implement hooks to the head plus body whenever Sherk was able to put Franca on the backfoot. The next two minutes of the fight was mostly spent with the two tradings in middle with Franca landing more often while also having a brilliant guard to nullify Sherk’s punches but the champ was finding success with leg kicks which started to destroy the balance of the challenger his biggest moment of the round coming as Sherk was able to land a huge right overhand while faking a takedown but Hermes Franca would respond with a five punch combination that started with a one-two, double-jab then finished with an uppercut but after the combo, Sherk landed a well-timed leg kick which briefly hurt the challenger. Seeing the window of opportunity Sherk rushed in and picked up Franca to complete a big double-legged slam takedown but the challenger did well to prevent Sherk from transitioning into any dominant position like full mount and whenever Sherk fired off any ground and pound it was mostly blocked but the champ was able to land some knees from side-control. Round 2 and 3 were clear rounds for Hermes Franca as he made the adjustments to check all of Sherk’s leg kicks throughout the two rounds which left the champion largely without any type of consistent offensive he was able to occasionally land a left-cross from time to time but often he was one and done with striking and wasn’t able to find a way to get the fight to the mat as he went 0-3 on combined takedowns through rounds 2 and 3. Meanwhile, Franca was starting to put it on the champion showing some real killer instinct as his crisp boxing was starting to tag “The Muscle Shark” consistently this caused Sherk to start backing up to the cage in which Franca was able to pepper him with a flurry of hooks that usually finished with uppercuts. In round 3 while up against the cage Franca landed 4 out of 5 flurries of hooks but instead of finishing with an uppercut, he went over the top with a led elbow that slicked open a huge cut above Sherk’s right eye.

With seemingly three rounds in the bank for the challenger, the champion started to come alive during the 2nd half of the fight starting off with hitting a beautiful left-cross then hook the body following a missed one-two from Franca who was starting to gas but he wouldn’t back down but wasn’t necessarily putting the pressure on Sherk like in rounds 2 & 3 as the two meet in the middle and started trading. The two exchanged one-twos with each other with Sherk slipping an uppercut to counter with a clean two hooks to the body then leg kick, the two then clinched exchanging some nice dirty boxing Franca was able to open up another cut on the forehead of “The Muscle Shark” with an array of elbows while Sherk himself landed some nice knees to the body. As the two exchanged in the final minute of the fight through the clinch Sherk was able to secure a slick one-legged takedown which might have won him. The two came out swinging for the start of the 5th as Franca started out hot early landing a straight then a quick left before landing a flush overhand the champ responded with a hard jab then right hook but was then met with a one-two then uppercut which briefly rocked him but a tired Hermes Franca couldn’t find the finishing punch. A desperate Sherk was able to get a desperation takedown and control the rest of the round securing 3 takedowns total in the round with some decent dirty boxing against Hermes up against the cage throughout the round. As Sherk was declared the winner by unanimous decision there was definitely a mixture of boos and cheers just looking at the two side by side shows Sherk bloodied by the two large cuts with some serious bruising while Franca has some minor swelling on his leg with some redness to the body. Franca felt he had ‘won rounds 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4’ when interviewed by Joe Rogan but said he would take this loss like a ‘professional’ and ‘not complain about it’. Sherk meanwhile was rushed to the hospital but the head coach of Minnesota Martial Arts Academy said while the fight was ‘close’ they felt they ‘won rounds 1, 4, and 5’. Other victories on the main-card like Frank Trigg, Gleison Tibau, and Tim Kennedy all put on wrestling clinics for some decision victories. Mike Swick would get an impressive victory over Thiago Alves plus picking up an extra $50K, the first round belonged to Alves who was able to get the better of Swick with multiple Muay-Thai clinches which resulted in knees and elbows the 2nd round was also going the way of Alves as he was once again easily able to grab the Muay-Thai clinch while also able to unload with kicks to the body and leg. Swick had some moments as he was doing some fine bodywork in rounds 1 and 2 but “Quick” was really able to turn the fight around once he noted Alves dipped his head to the right whenever the two disengaged from the clinch. After he once again went into the clinch after landing a beautiful straight then a brief elbow in the clinch a monstrous right head kick wobbled Alves as a quick one-two then right hook put Alves down then ground and pound ended the fight. The rest of the fights that were on the prelims followed pretty much the same result as the main-card with mostly dominant wrestling clinics that led to some decision wins or late stoppages.

H0QPU1I.png

[Headline Two]: Couture strained rotator calf, Gonzaga steps in on 2 weeks notice

“I’m disappointed, but we still have a fantastic card with a fantastic main-event” - Dana White

Sometimes you just can’t have good things in MMA it's a cruel sport that has more sad moments than happy, this is of course one of those sad moments for fans around the world as Heavyweight champion Randy Couture has announced he has pulled out of his scheduled bout with Fedor Emelianenko a super-fight to determine who is the greatest Heavyweight and possibly fighter of all time which will now be put on hold or permanently tainted. Gabriel Gonzaga who was supposed to fight on UFC 73 but didn’t due to his opponent [brandon Vera] pulling out will now fight Fedor in a 3 round main-event at UFC 74. The two actually have a mild rivalry between them as Gonzaga has made it clear he feels snubbed and disrespected by the UFC fully placing the blame on Fedor. Previously Couture was scheduled to fight another Heavyweight legend Mirko Cro Cop but due to injury Co Cop was rescheduled to fight Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 70, Gonzaga won via first-round head kick knockout to dash the legendary match-up could Gonzaga pull off another upset and ruin another legendary Heavyweight bout to secure himself a title-shot?

eAGftmJ.png

[Headline Three]: UFC Fight Night: Mir v. Overeem set for August Week 4

Alistair Overeem set to make UFC debut against former-champ Frank Mir

Main-Event

Heavyweight: Frank Mir (9-3) vs. Alistair Overeem (24-10)

Co-Main

Lightweight: Leonard Garcia (9-2) vs. Kenny Florian (6-3)

Main-Card

Welterweight: Anthony Johnson (3-0) vs. Dan Hardy (15-5-1NC)

Middleweight: Ivan Salaverry (13-6) vs. Ryan Jensen (11-1)

Light-Heavyweight: James Irvin (12-4-1NC) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (17-7-1)

Prelims

Lightweight: Mark Bocek (4-0) vs. Kurt Pellegrino (11-2)

Middleweight: Scott Smith (12-3) vs. Drew McFedries (5-2)

Lightweight: Jess Liaudin (13-8) vs. Tyson Griffin (8-1)

Heavyweight: Mike Russow (5-1-1NC) vs. Chris Tuchscherer (13-0-1NC)

Another longtime main-staple in the PRIDE roster making his transition to the UFC with the demise of PRIDE will make his debut for the company in Alistair Overeem quite possibly the most skilled fighter in the division Overeem versatile skill set makes him the (-200) betting favorite but one area where he has struggled in is wrestling and submission defense areas that his opponent former UFC Heavyweight champion Frank Mir excels at. Also, Mir has some underrated power in his hands Overeem has had his fair share of knockout losses but so does Mir but Overeem with his K1-kickboxing experience should theoretically have the advantage on the feet but with only 4-ounce gloves, anything can happen. Moving to the co-main the always exciting brawler Leonard Garcia takes on the tactical Kenny Florian who if he can stick to the right game-plan can dismantle Garcia, Florian has already pointed out Garcia vulnerability to leg kicks as well as commenting how he will make him tired with wrestling early then finish him with later in the fight. While a good plan in theory Florian can’t allow Leonard Garcia to dictate the pace of the fight by backing him up as Garica is always at his best when marching through his opponent’s strikes then throwing haymakers as his opponent is trapped against the cage.

The rest of the card was quickly put together with some promising prospects particularly a prospect versus prospect fight with the Brit Dan “The Hitman” Hardy taking on Anthony “Rumble” Johnson. “Rumble” hits like a truck with a very solid wrestling base but due to some intense weight cutting has seen his insane power declined as he has missed weight multiple times now, one must question if a possible move up in weight will take place soon as Johnson has commented he’d like to do so sometime by the end of the year. Before he moves up Johnson is taking one last fight in the Welterweight division against Dan Hardy as the two have been jawing back and forth for the past few months the two have promised a stunning knockout of the year candidate. Much like Florian, Dan Hardy is a very smart high IQ fighter while “The Hitman” isn’t as well rounded but with his very technical kickboxing he can very much out-point Johnson but the main question is how much will the weight cut effect “Rumble”? Ryan Jensen is the latest prospect out of Jackson Wink MMA a high IQ BJJ fighter with ever-improving stand-up he fights veteran Ivan Salaverry who also likes to roll as well rough his opponent up with dirty boxing as well as hit some nasty knees and elbows in the clinch. The last fight on the main-card looks very promising as James Irvin a very fan-friendly fighter who likes to throw heavy hands with heavy kicks liking to constantly move forward putting the pressure on his opponents faces Poland's Krzysztof Soszynski a very experienced fighter who has developed some slick boxing but hasn’t really developed an elite or high-level status in anywhere else in his game as he is pretty mediocre everywhere else but in what is probably going to be a stand and bang battle that could be all he needs.

oZLIdNo.png

Main-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

Main-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

nsM63UO.png

2007 August Week 1 Recap

mF3Kk6C.png

[Headline One]: Strikeforce announces Royce Gracie vs. Frank Shamrock for Sep Week 3

“After I take out big brother [Royce Gracie], I’ll go after the little one [Renzo Gracie] then I want Rickson [Gracie]” - Frank Shamrock

Main-Event

Middleweight: Frank Shamrock (22-8-2) vs. Royce Gracie (13-2-3)

Co-Main

Middleweight: Cung Le (3-0) vs. Phil Baroni (10-7)

Main-Card

Middleweight: Riki Fukuda (8-2) vs. Jamie Jara (15-4)

Heavyweight: Jeff Monson (24-6) vs. Siala-Mou Siliga (2-0)

Heavyweight: Assuerio Silva (13-6-1NC) vs. Tim Hague (4-0)

Prelims

Lightweight: Billy Evangelista (3-0) vs. Scott Henze (19-7-2)

Women’s Featherweight: Adrienna Jenkins (11-2) vs. Ediane Gomes (0-0)

Women’s Bantamweight: Debi Purcell (4-1) vs. Michelle Ould (1-0)

Heavyweight: Antoine Jaoude (7-2) vs. Mike Kyle (10-5-1)

Welterweight: Steve Carl (5-1) vs. Victor Valenzuela (5-1-2)

Strikeforce comes home to their base in California with a very fan-friendly card with a legendary main-event as the Gracie and Shamrock family will once again do battle with each other with Royce Gracie taking on Frank Shamrock. In his most recent fight, Shamrock has suffered his first defeat since 1997 with a very controversial disqualification via a headbutt loss to Renzo Gracie that has many fans clowning the Gracie family as “cowards”, many believe Renzo was faking how hurt he was as the two were grappling on the mat and Renzo was on the one on top while Frank was on his back. Some question how Frank could generate that much power on the ground at such a close range, after the bout Frank Shamrock has been a vocal critic of the Gracie family which has led to their most famous fighter in Royce Gracie accepting a fight with him to settle the score once and for all. Frank hasn’t held anything back with quotes about he wants to “destroy the Gracie family name” targeting multiple Gracie’s demanding a rematch with “the p***y, Renzo Gracie” after he puts on a “masterful destruction of epic proportions” on Royce then he wants a crack at the undefeated and most accomplished Gracie BJJ student in Rickson Gracie described as easily the greatest BJJ fighter in the history of MMA. He is also rumored to be 100-0 in submission grappling but his record is unknown but currently being retired it is unlikely he will be goaded out of retirement but the possibility is on the table. While some fans are excited others are pointing out how Royce Gracie is currently 40 years old compared to Frank who is 34 plus Gracie hasn’t won a fight since 1995, but the name value of both fights plus it being another tale in the Shamrock vs. Gracie rivalry is bound to grab some attention.

With some doubt that the main-event is actually a fight and more of a spectacle, the co-main event has quietly been building itself up as the people's main-event that see’s Cung Le a SanShou fighter that is a form of MMA that relates back to the old Chinese Kickboxing techniques that haven’t yet been seen in MMA particularly his use of feints and kicks his chin has been questionable tho and could be cracked against such a durable fighter in Phil Baroni. He can box and wrestle but prefers to trade it out on the feet this will be Baroni’s first fight since his canceled bout against Jason “Mayhem” Miller, the tone from that fight to this fight is a complete switch as both Lee and Baroni have huge respect for each other.

nxdqs49.png

Heavyweight Jeff Monson has made headlines for his cringe-worthy trash talk releasing an online video bashing his opponent Siala-Mou Siliga an Asan Samon kickboxer turn MMA fighter he is very much like Mark Hunt look for one shot to end the night with a walk-off KO with also an iron chin to go along with it. Monsoon has declared he will “smash this Australian bum and make him go oi, oi, oi only on pay-per-view” it should be noted the entire event is on free tv. Monson promises a stand-up war but expects him to mix in some wrestling which will test Siliga’s takedown defense.

Continuing with some overlooked fights on the card staying in the Heavyweight division undefeated Canadian standing at 6’4” Tim Hague, fellow Canadian GSP has said he can see Tim Hague becoming a real pioneer for Canadian MMA.

“He has a real chance at being a great champion, I’m a huge fan and can’t wait to see what he does for MMA here in Canada”.

- George St-Pierre

His opponent the very experienced Assuerio Silva a former UFC fighter is the first step up in competition for Hague’s. Silva has good hands, savage kicks, slick Muay-Thai and has yet to suffer an actual KO/TKO loss (his one TKO loss comes from a cut not via actual punches, kicks, knees &, etc).

x2vnht7.png

[Headline Two]: Pancrase sign Paul Daley, Ricco Rodriguez, Murilo Rua & others

“They [strikeforce] low-balled me so I left” - Paul Daley

Only a couple of weeks have gone by since Paul Daley claimed the vacant Strikeforce Welterweight championship and now the title will once again be vacant as now former Strikeforce champion Paul Daley has signed a 5-fight deal with Pancrase one of the least standing nationally recognized MMA organizations that in Japan. They have made headlines by signing Brock Lesnar and other big-name opponents but with Lesnar yet to be booked most of their events have been passed by with little coverage, but that hasn’t stopped Pancrase excess from scouting the market for new talent a signing like Daley is bound to get the promotion back in the spotlight. For Strikeforce it’s a crushing blow to the organization, even worse Daley has criticized the promotion of their business ethics and has gone in on promoter Scott Coker.

“[scott] Coker is a low-balling lying c**t, I’m a champion in your division in your organization and I’m offered barley $5 thousand a fight? Bulls**t. I knew I was done with them as soon as they offered me that it’s a f**kin disgrace man”.

- Paul Daley

Coker made brief comments thanking Daley for his services but wished he was more professional and not lie about how much they offered to say he was “pushing his value way too much for what he is really worth”. Other signings include (26-6) Ricco Rodgriuez a teammate of former UFC Light-Heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, he like Tito likes to wrestle who also has some below-average striking but with it being Heavyweight he is able to make up for his lack of technique. Finale noteworthy fighter who has inked a deal with Pancrase is Murilo Rua who was recently dominated by Strikeforce with very little interest for him but he has decided to go back to Japan as he has stated his love for Japan and the fans over there as he hopes to bounce back from a devastating lopsided defeated to “The Gracie Hunter”.

qpTB47j.png

• 2 weeks later...

nsM63UO.png

2007 August Week 2 Recap

GNF1W8L.png

[Headline One]: UFC 74 Recap & Results

Fedor defeats Gonzaga via UD decision to secure title-shot against Couture

Critical Rating: 74% / Commercial Rating: 91%

Attendance: 10,383 ($2.3 Million)

Venue: MGM Grand (Nevada, Las Vegas)

Main-Event

Fedor Emelianenko def. Gabriel Gonzaga via UD (29-28x2, 30-27)

Co-Main

Wanderlei Silva def. Forrest Griffin via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 1:46)

Main-Card

Sam Strout def. Clay Guida via UD (29-28x3)

Melvin Guillard def. Caol Uno via TKO [Punches] (R2 - 0:39)

Mark Hunt def. Pedro Rizzo via KO [Punch] (R1 - 1:46)

Prelims

Fabricio Werdum def. Roy Nelson via UD (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)

John Kolosci def. Edilberto de Olivera via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 4:07)

Chris Horodecki def. David Baron via TKO [Punches] (R2 - 2:27)

Mac Danzig def. Andy Wang via UD (29-28x3)

Paul Taylor def. Jason Gilliam via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 0:49)

Fight of the Night - Fedor Emelianenko vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Knockout of the Night - Mark Hunt & Wanderlei Silva

rodrigoviolim - (9/10) correction predictions

Fedor Emelianenko would fend off Gonzaga for the majority of the fight to win a comfortable unanimous decision but to say it was an easy fight wouldn’t do it justice as Gonzaga briefly looked like he would pull off another all-time upset for the record books. Round 1 saw Fedor easily out-wrestle Gonzaga over the course of the round as Gonzaga was mauled from full-guard for practically the full 5 minutes. Round 2 Fedor looked to apply the same wrestling heavy game-plan by faking a jab then going for a double-legged takedown but a brilliant scramble by Gonzaga saw him on top in north-south side control. Fedor did a good job depending on some elbows plus other wild ground n’ pound from Gonzaga but briefly gave up his back which allowed the Brazilian Heavyweight to lock in a relatively deep rear-naked choke for a while it looked like Gonzaga was gonna get back to back HUGE upset win the crowd was on their feet going wild but none where more wild than commentator Joe Rogan screaming at the top of his lungs 'it's deep Mike [Goldberg] it's in deep oooooh'. But Emelianenko was able to calmly escape after that brief moment of fright the two started scrambling again until the two got up to their feet Fedor would start to gain momentum back by completely outclassing Gonzaga who tried to set-up fight-ending head kick much like he did against Mirko Cro Cop but he couldn’t mask any of his strikes as Fedor would see everything coming mostly via some great head movement. Fedor would find a home for the jab; his solid boxing start also allowed him to unload with a few straights plus some bodywork with hooks. Round 3 would be a repeat of round 1 as Fedor would get Gonzaga to the ground then keep him there to get the decision. Fedor called for his well-deserved title-shot at Couture to prove who is the greatest Heavyweight in UFC history, Couture was on the broadcast being previously scheduled to fight Fedor before an injury sidelined him gladly accepted as the two-faced off inside the octagon.

Wanderlei Silva would announce his return to form with a co-knockout of the night by brutally finishing the fan-favorite Forrest Griffin the fight started exactly the way fans wanted with the two trading leather at an alarming pace. Silva started the bout with a glancing head kick that opened a cut on the forehead of Griffin who responded with a clean double-jab plus a straight. “The Axe Murderer” after parrying a jab from Griffin blasted him with a cross but the overhand was ducked which led to Griffin countering with a slitting leg kick followed by a jab then circled out. Griffin looked like he was starting to exploit Wanderlei’s lack of leg kicking defense as Griffin continued to land leg kicks at will but Griffin would start to become more relaxed when throwing them which to his defeated as after missing a leg kick a lightning-fast right-hook that put Griffin down as hammer fists finished him off. In his post-fight interview Wandereli circled out both Chuck Liddell plus Tito Ortiz who was in attendance, Silva expressed how he wanted to “avenge” his loss to Tito by putting him in a “grave”.

“I’ll rip his [Tito Ortiz] head off, he thinks he can say anything he wants but he never backs any of it up he lost to Chuck [Liddell] and he’ll lose to me when we rematch”.

- Wanderlei Silva

P9YeKei.png

Two new Lightweight contenders would emerge within the two Lightweight fights on the main-card as Sam Strout and Melvin Guillard picked up the wins. Strout defeated Clay Guida after a very poor opening round that saw Guida dictate the pace by pressure grappling with Strout in the moments of round 1 the two exchanged some brief dirty boxing before Guida grabbed hold of a single-leg driving Strout to the cage before dragging him down. Guida would burst to life by grabbing full-mount fast nearly finishing Strout with some fast ground n’ pound but Strout would survive the round by reaming on the bottom for the rest of the round, but during the start of the 2nd Strout would rock Guida with a quick head kick after Strout missed the set-up one-two this would cause Guida to enter a warlike state of mind hellbent on knocking Strout a decorated kickboxer out. As the result shows it didn’t go well despite his coaches pleads to take the fight back to the ground Guida would sling out over hands none of which really came close to hitting Strout who started unloading with kicks to the legs to stifle Guida’s movement then transitioned his kicks to the body by the 3rd round. Throw in some nice 1-2-3 straight punch combinations that consistently landed throughout both rounds and Strout would take home the decision win as for Melvin Guillard he showed a distinct difference in power right from the opening round against Caol Uno. They started hand fighting at close-distance with each other which favored Uno early on as he slipped a short hook from Guillard to come over the top with a lead elbow then committed to a single-leg takedown, Guillard defends well hopping on one-foot but Uno put Guillard up against the fence in which Uno would grab the collar-tie to unload some quick bus-driver-uppercuts. Guillard tried to use his pure strength advantage to get out briefly turning around Uno to the cage but Uno would use his grappling advantage to get back to the dominator position then went all in for a double-legged takedown again Uno came very close but he just couldn’t get it after a brief few seconds of stalling Uno decided to disengage that would ultimately cost him the fight because as Uno started moving backward Guillard perfectly split open Uno’s guard with an overhand that landed right on Uno’s chin sitting him down. Guillard’s follow up ground n’ pound couldn’t finish it as Uno sprawled well to get back to his feet but was immediately sat back down as Uno rushed in to get the fight back to some hand to hand pressure grappling fight but Guillard would excellency plant his feet to drive home a right cross on Uno’s chin, the ground n’ pound nearly finished Uno off this time as the rest of the round was spent with Guillard on top in full-guard mostly. Despite not getting the finish in the 1st Guillard wouldn’t take long to get the finish early in the 2nd as Melvin used his lead hand to fake that he was going high but went to the body with a one-two then launched a close-quarters uppercut that sent Uno down to the mat for the finale time as referee Herb Dean saw enough.

To finish off the main-card Mark Hunt would quickly end his heated feud with UFC vet Pedro Rizzo with a devastating first-round knockout early on Rizzo was doing a good job parrying Hunt’s jab leaving Hunt unable to find the distance as he was struggling Rizzo started unloading with some solid leg kicks landing 3 in the first minute of the fight plus a solid hook the body. Rizzo went to the leg again with another kick but by this time Hunt quickly switched his stance then put Pedro Rizzo’s lights out with a quick lead one-two for the walk-off knockout. During his post-fight interview, he said he gladly would accept Fabricio Werdum’s challenge as he called out “The Super-Samon” after defeating Roy Nelson in the head-liner of the prelims. Nelson was largely outclassed by Werdum as the Brazilian showed some great conditioning for a Heavyweight constantly using weird head-movement to confuse “Country” Roy Nelson, Werdum would quickly establish a close-quarters fight often peppering his opponent with quick short punches with some hand to hand fighting in Round 1. The 2nd would see Werdum seriously hurt Nelson as he faked coming in for more close-quarters hand-to-hand pressure fighting to mask a cracking right-hook that wobbled Nelson all the way to the cage. Werdum grabbed the collar-tie hitting Nelson with 4 knees to the body then 1 to the head which broke Nelson’s nose, Fabricio then dragged Nelson down to the ground with a single-leg nearly submitting him with two armbars. By the 3rd round, Werdum possibly to preserve stamina or to prove he can strike opted for a stick n’ move game-plan offered Nelson a chance to ko the Brazilian but with his constant head-movement Nelson wouldn’t find his opening until there were only a minute and a half left in the round. Faking a one-two Werdum dipped to the right side which Nelson predicted finally hitting the Brazilian clean with a looping right hook as Werdum quickly put his card up Nelson sliced through it with a cross then planted his foot for a one-two but Werdum ducked to secure a double-legged takedown as the fight ended on the mat. Like mentioned before he took his time to call out Mark Hunt after his recent remarks about all Brazilian fighters being on steroids during the post-fight press conference Dana White remarked about the success of the event,

“Fedor [Emelianenko] fought a good fight and proved a lot of people mostly wrong and I hope this shuts up some idiots who think he [Fedor Emelianenko] doesn't deserve a shot at Randy [Couture]. As for how we did it was a big one even without the main-event we stacked this card and I’m very happy”

- Dana White

WujvJqO.png

[Headline Two]: WEC 29 Recap & Results

Aldo survives late-rally from Brown to take home the Unanimous Decision

Critical Rating: 72% / Commercial Rating: 31%

Attendance: 939 [$152,352]

Venue: Cox Pavilion (Nevada, Las Vegas)

Main-Event

Jose Aldo def. Mike Brown via UD (29-28x3)

Co-Main

Donald Cerrone def. Todd Moore via TKO [Head Kick & Punches] (R2 - 3:53)

Main-Card

Dominick Cruz def. Charlie Valencia via SUB [RNC] (R1 - 1:42)

Cub Swanson def. Mark Hominick via TKO [Punches] (R1 - 0:52)

Masanori Kanehara def. Cody McKenzie via UD (30-27x3)

Justin Robbins pulled out via hand injury 1 week before the event

Prelims

JJ Ambrose def. Eric Reynolds via SUB [RNC] (R1 - 4:13)

Danny Batten def. Josh Grispi via UD (29-28x3)

Mitsuhisa Sunabe def. Antonio Duarte via UD (30-27x3)

Tommy Lee def. Akiyo Nishiura via KO [Head Kick] (R1 - 1:41)

Masanori Kanehara pulled out via leg injury 2 weeks before the event

Shad Lierley pulled out via weighing cutting issues during weigh-in

Jose Aldo ‘Junior’ has defeated Mike Brown in a very solid fight that saw ‘Junior’ get the nod via a unanimous decision in the Brazilians first real test against the top competition in the Featherweight division. Round 1 saw Aldo a fast start keep the fight at long range with a quick 4 to 5 straight punch combination only ever throwing hooks occasionally to the body to keep Brown away to make it harder to wrestle, it was clear Jose Aldo held the speed plus overall boxing technique which let Brown only able to offer a few flick jabs plus hooks which barley landed but Aldo notorious for slowing down after some explosive opening minutes was starting to gas. This seemed to be apart of Brown’s gameplan to tier his opponent out as Brown who was on the backfoot was starting to meet a fading Aldo in the middle near the end of the round Brown ate a one-two but was able to slip the body shot then set his stance from a solid right cross that landed directly on the chin of Aldo a little dazed he then landed a solid head kick right on the dome then locked in a deep single-leg takedown but Jose defended it brilliantly using a lot of spinning techniques and control from his back against the cage to end the round. Despite probably losing the first Mike Brown had a lot of momentum heading into the 2nd round but that would all come crashing down as Jose surprisingly dominated the 2nd round by implementing leg kicks into the fight. Aldo started the round by feinting the set-up jab allowing him to hit a kick roundhouse kick to the body then unloaded with all the remaining energy he had into an 11 straight unanswered combination starting with a leg kick then jab, leg kick, then jab, straight then another leg kick followed by three hooks to the body than a leg kick. Brown started walking with a noticeable limp as well as bleeding everywhere with a broken nose plus some swelling around the eyes from what was later revealed to be an orbital fracture, Jose continued to punish Brown from long range with even more leg kicks but the combination started to come to a stop as an exhausted Jose Aldo could only ever muster 2 to 3 punch combinations throughout the rest of the fight. Aldo’s guard also started to become non-existent as Brown was occasionally able to land a few stiff well-timed jabs by faking the uppercut or by faking he was going for the takedown speaking of which Aldo would also defend all 3 of Brown’s takedown attempts during the round. As the round came to a close Brown was actually able to land his first combination of the round starting with a leg kick of his own then ducking the counter right hook to land a cross over the top then hook to the body but Aldo was able to time a perfect head kick that wobbled Brown as he wasn’t to get his guard back up in time, stumbling all the way to the cage Aldo was able to grab the Muay-Thai clinch to launch a brutal knee to the head which was just blocked as the round came to an end. The pace for the third slowed considerably for the last round of the fight as Aldo possibly being too tired of maybe not really caring since he had two rounds in the bag was taken down twice during the round being controlled on the ground for 4 of the 5 minutes the most significant part of Brown’s top controlling coming when he was able to get side-control to land some slicing elbows which opened a small cut on the side of Aldo’s right eye, the Brazilians biggest moment in during the round coming near the end of the entire fight as he was able to nearly drop Brown with a lethal right hook then a clean uppercut but Brown was able to respond with a crisp one-two then pull counter.

etIjCzz.png

The rest of the event was majority filled with dominant performances starting off with the co-main as Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone put on a masterclass against Todd Moore using his superior kickboxing to brutalize Moore who was just a sitting duck to the jab of Cerrone which he often used to create a variety of combinations of punches and kicks while mixing it up with the Muay-Thai to hammer his face with elbows and body with knees. Moore simply couldn’t find his range although he was able to connect on a clean one-two by the end of the 1st which would be his only notable strike. ‘Cowboy’ ultimately ended the fight in the 2nd after slipping a right hook he would unleash a brutal head kick as his foot would smash directly into Moore’s face sending him to the canvas, Cerrone finished the fight with punches from side control after some brief grappling between the two. Dominick “The Dominator” Cruz in his Bantamweight debut got a quick first-round submission bouncing back from a devastating loss to the current WEC Featherweight champion Urijah Faber who finished Cruz also in the 1st round via submission. The way both men applied their submissions were actually quite similar as Valencia like Cruz in his last fight rushed in for the single-takedown without much technique looking to overpower the skinner Cruz although able to secure control against the cage “The Dominator” showed excellent technique plus footwork switching the position then sweeping Valencia’s legs from under him with a sweep, Valencia would attempt to get back up but while doing so gave up his back allowing Cruz to lock in a stand rear-naked choke as Valencia didn’t seem to know what to do after the submission was applied tapping rather quickly. Cruz said he felt “better than ever” at 145 saying he would “conquer” the division then move up to challenge Faber in a rematch sometime in the near future. Cub Swanson, a fellow Featherweight contender might have just secured his own right to challenge Faber for the Featherweight strap after disposing of Canadian Mark Hominick in just 52 seconds making this the first time Hominick has been finished via strikes the finish came after Swanson countered an ill-timed uppercut from Hominick by dipping his head to the right then landing a lethal body shot that hurt Hominick as his legs become stiff then Swanson set his feet as the Canadian was trying to back off but with his movement was compromised so he couldn’t get away in time as Swanson landing a ducking overhand to put his opponent down then finish him with hammer fists immediately calling out Urijah Faber in the post-fight interview.

“Urijah [Faber], your time is up, no more ducking, no more easy fights, your title reign is coming to an end. You know I’m the new champion so just gimme my belt already”.

- Cub Swanson

7cxsWZF.png

tbUPOea.png

2007 August Week 3 Recap

0MCDCW9.png

[Headline One]: UFC 76 announced for September Week 3 in New Mexico

Matt Serra to make first defense against former-longtime champion Matt Hughes

Main-Event

Welterweight: [CHAMP] Matt Serra (10-4) vs. Matt Hughes (42-5)

Co-Main

Heavyweight: Tim Sylvia (23-3) vs. Mirko Cro Cop (22-5-2)

Main-Card

Lightweight: Deigo Sanchez (17-1) vs. Roger Huerta (17-1-1-NC)

Welterweight: Roan Carneiro (12-5) vs. Tom Speer (12-1)

Welterweight: Keita Nakamura (15-2-2) vs. Dustin Hazelett (8-3)

Prelims

Heavyweight: Antoni Hardonk (5-3) vs. Colin Robinson (8-3)

Welterweight: Luigi Fioravanti (11-2) vs. Pete Sell (7-3)

Middleweight: Tony Bonello (15-0-1NC) vs. Floyd Sword (10-2)

Middleweight: Ryan Jensen (11-1) vs. Alessio Sakara (12-5-1NC)

UFC Welterweight champion Matt Serra will make his first title defense in New Mexico against a former champion in Matt Hughes who previously held the title twice already looking to reclaim it a third time after dropping it to George St-Pierre at UFC 65. Currently holding the record for the most title-defenses in the divisions history with 7, surprising Hughes comes into the fight as a (+180) underdog a strong Greco-Roman base wrestler with a powerful slam plus rear-naked chokehold Hughes is already widely recognized as the greatest Welterweight in UFC history Matt who isn’t a huge talker has been vocal about how Serra will probably be the 'easiest opponent' he has faced in a title-fight.

“He’s not that skilled to be completely honest. I know this sounds disrespectful and all but I'm not trying to be, I just feel I’m telling the truth as I’ve faced the top of the division for years. I look at him [Matt Serra]. I just don’t see much of a challenge. I hope I’m wrong but I think this is gonna be easy for me”.

- Matt Hughes

While Hughes said himself he didn’t intend any disrespect, Serra wasn’t having any of it going off on the former champion leading up to the event.

“He’s [Matt Hughes] old, washed up, also do any of you notice how he pretends to be a good person? He likes to show himself off as this golden boy but I see right through his bulls**t act, he is just a d**k a faker and after I’m done with him a loser”.

- Matt Serra

nRid7LR.png

Although a bit of a cheesy trash talker Serra looks to cap off an incredible 2007 as he has already secured the upset of the year with a 1st round KO win over GSP with adding a victory over the divisions GOAT would probably secure him the fighter of the year award as well. A heavy-handed Welterweight who has recently been given his black-belt in BJJ under Renzo Gracie it’s not outrageous to think Serra can retain his title as Hughes in his last championship bout was soundly beat by GSP who like mentioned before was soundly beat by Serra.

Two Heavyweight down on their luck will look for a turnaround in the co-main event former two-time UFC Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia is coming off a one-sided beatdown against current champion Randy Couture by unanimous decision, a solid balanced fighter who isn’t necessarily elite in any area of MMA but has a solid base in boxing, wrestling, BJJ, muay-thai and others forms of combat. His best hopes of defeating an elite kickboxer like Cro Cop probably revolves a game-plan of pressure fighting, possibly grappling with Cro Cop to grind out a decision but after Cro Cop’s recent knockout loss, Sylvia could feel he can stand and bang with the Croatian. Mirk Cro Cop looks to bounce back from a devastating first-round head kick knockout against Gabriel Gonzaga in a title-eliminator, a former PRIDE Open-weight Grand Prix champion (2006) plus a multiple time K1 champion the Croatian legend has had his future being called into question as he has started to be label a glass cannon by some. Cro Cop has said he has been inspired by Wanderlei SIlva’s quick return to form saying how he wants to emulate the same success as the Brazilian. The rest of the fights are more well known by the hardcore MMA fans but not really the casual ones however to mention a few ‘The Nightmare’ Deigo Sanchez will be fighting in front of his hometown in New Mexico dropping down to Lightweight after losing to Josh Koscheck by decision at Welterweight when asked about his return to Lightweight and his opponent he told reporters he didn’t ‘know a single fighters name, proclaiming ‘no style can beat me, my loss to Koscheck was a once in a lifetime moment a flicker that reminded people they had witnessed a moment in history’. Roger Huerta who has gone 3-0 in his 3 fights with the UFC including an 18-second knockout has gone to call Sanchez a 'reject looney tunes character’ both actually used to train at Jackson Wink MMA but the gym sided with ‘The Nightmare' Diego Sanchez. Huerta has called it a ‘betrayal of my trust’ however he said the move to a more private gym has ‘awoken a new beast inside me’. Comparing the two to each other both like to come forward being the aggressor while Sanchez holds a wrestling advantage the power plus muay-thai advantage belongs to Huerta, the fight will probably come down to how Sanchez will utilize his wrestling in the fight.

aWVkPwg.png

[Headline Two]: MMA Rivalries: Tito Ortiz vs. Wanderlei Silva

Tension continues to boil as Ortiz vs. Silva 2 rumored for early 2008

Wanderlei Silva continues to enjoy his most recent return to form which has come with a lot of media attention his knockout over Forrest Griffin has got a substantial amount of views on Youtube as well as his call out of two former champions Chuck Liddell plus Tito Ortiz. While originally the Liddell fight was the one many fans wanted him to fight next it seems a rematch between Tito Ortiz and Wanderlei will either headline or be the co-main event for a potential PPV card in 2008 as the two were part of a nuclear back and forward battle of words. They first fought each other at UFC 25 (2000) for the vacant Light-Heavyweight belt (at the time known as the Middleweight division) Ortiz would wrestle his way to a one-sided unanimous decision to win the title when both had yet to establish themselves as the all-time greats they are both known as today. Silva would sign with PRIDE after the loss became known as ‘The Axe Murder’ in Japan holding the most wins in the history of PRIDE as well as being the former Middleweight champ. Ortiz would go on to defend the belt a record 5-times with wins over Ken Shamrock, Evan Turner, Yuki Kondo, and many others. While he is currently on a 2 fight skid with losses to Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell his brash often cringe attitude has allowed him to stay relevant in the MMA landscape.

“You can’t compare us for one simple reason I am a real champion he [Wanderlei Silva] is a faker an actor, we all know what they do in Japan every single outcome of every single fight was settled way before it even started. The last real fight he was in was with me not that bum [Forrest] Griffin who lost after eating one punch, I made him [Wanderlei Silva] my b**ch and I’ll make him my b**ch again. My goal is to make him retire from the embarrassment of losing to me a 2nd time it’s gonna be so much fun.”

- Tito Ortiz

Of course, these comments would draw a furious response from ‘The Axe Murder’ which mostly was a repeat of what he said in his post-fight interview at UFC 74 with Joe Rogan mostly going over how Ortiz quits whenever the fight gets too rough pointing out how he tapped to strikes against Frank Shamrock while also pointing out how he couldn’t back up any of his trash talk about Liddell and it will be the same when he knocks him out. While Dana was more interested in the Liddell match-up like many fans he has probably seen the amount of potential profit a match-up between the two could generate with the winner probably going on to face Liddell.

“A fight between Tito [Ortiz] plus [Wanderlei] Silva is a once in a generation fight we got to see it way before its prime but now like Bruce says it's times. In 50 years this will be one of those fights people will look back on and remember, this is one those must-see fights all fans have to watch”.

- Dana White

POAV3Mz.png

Great fights to come, looking forward to seeing Crocop and Wand.

Sanchez vs. Huerta is also an excellent fight at this time

Main-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

Main-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

Main-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

tbUPOea.png

2007 August Week 4 Recap

uYlIlF2.png

[Headline One]: ‘UFC Fight Night: Overeem v. Mir’ Results & Recap

Overeem takes less than 2 minutes to knock-out Frank Mir in UFC debut

Critical Rating: 77% / Commercial Rating: 52%

Attendance: 2,000 ($400,362)

Venue: Cox Pavilion (Nevada, Las Vegas)

Main-Event

Alistair Overeem def. Frank Mir via KO [Knee] (R1 - 1:39)

Co-Main

Kenny Florian def. Leonard Garica via SD (28-29, 29-28x2)

Main-Card

Anthony Johnson def. Dan Hardy via TKO [Punches & Elbows] (R1 - 2:00)

Krzysztof Sosynski def. James Irvin via SUB [Armbar] (R2 - 3:52)

*Ryan Jensen bruised rib pulled-out 1 week before the event*

Prelims

Mark Bocek def. Kurt Pellegrino via SUB [RNC] (R3 - 3:46)

Drew McFedries def. Scot Smith via KO [Punch] (R1 - 0:37)

Tyson Griffin def. Jess Liaudin via UD (30-27x2, 29-28)

Mike Russow def. Chris Tuchscherer via SD (29-28x2, 28-29)

Prediction Results

rodrigoviolim - 7/8 (correct predictions)

*2nd-time in a row rodrigoviolim has only got 1 prediction wrong*

CageRage - 3/8 (correct predictions)

Fight of the Night - Krzysztof Sosynski vs. James Irvin

Knockout of the Night - Drew McFedries

Submission of the Night - Krzysztof Sosynski

‘The Reem’ has emphatically made his way into the UFC’s Heavyweight title implications by knocking out a former champion Frank Mir, despite the quick finish, Mir was winning the opening of the fight revealing his all-vegan diet for this camp it seemed to of increase both his hand speed plus overall reaction timing constantly landing the slip and pull counter throughout the 50 seconds as Overeem was a bit puzzled by Mir holding the speed advantage, then by the one-minute mark Mir was able to catch a roundhouse kick by to the body that Overeem threw. Nearly executing on a single-leg takedown Overeem excellently defend the takedowns by quickly dropping the knee Mir had a hold to the canvas while extending his other leg behind him loosening Mir’s grip as Overeem was able to grab the collar-tie as he was able to grab a hold of Mir into the muay-thai clinch a two got up it didn’t take long for Overeem to unleash a quick knee to the head which put the former Heavyweight champions lights-out. It was of course a hard pill for Mir to swallow as it isn’t as if he made any glaring mistakes even the takedown attempt wasn’t a bad idea in theory, while he kept a poker face while being interview by Joe Rogan giving the standard ‘I’ll be back’ type of answers he would leave the octagon with a towel covering his entire face and wouldn’t attend the press-conference being rushed to hospital where he has been handed out a 7-month medical suspension.

Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson also put a quick end to his brief rivalry with Dan ‘The Hitman’ Hardy despite barely making weight at 171-pounds looking rather pale weighing-in an uppercut sent Hardy down as ‘The Hitman’ attempted a ducking type jab. The Brit did an excellent job defending some rapid punches but Johnson would quickly grab full-mount while Hardy was defending punches then finished him with elbows from the mount, Johnson would state after his quick win he intended to stay at Welterweight for awhile putting a move-up in weight on hold as he described he found the ‘perfect nutritionist’ while in training camp. Kenny Florian grinded out a very technical gameplan to get a split-decision against Leonard Garcia in the co-main by following a very safe game-plan by constating pressure-grappling pushing Garcia to the fence looking for takedowns while also implementing some dirty boxing. Garcia’s general weakness for being put on the backfoot was on full display as he seemed uncomfortable but his takedown defense was impeccable as he stuffed 18 out of 19 attempted takedowns, the fact that the fight was even scored 29-28 in his favor with one judge giving the fight to Garcia is a head-scratcher but there would be no robbery going down in Las Vegas tonight at least.

h1oh6ZW.png

The Fight of the Night winner went to Krzysztof Sosynski and James Irvin in a very fun grappling affair Sosynski nearly got the sub less than a minute into the fight after quickly clinching up Sosynski hit Irvin with some quick close elbows than in a flash pulled guard securing a guillotine. But with it being applied too fast Sosynski wasn’t able to get the choke in correctly as he let go Irvin burst into life taking advantage of his top position to grab full-mount then rain down punishment as Sosynski did his best to survive a full minute of brutal ground n’ pound from the guard then it was Sosynski turn to escape from a tight guillotine as James Irvin also wouldn’t apply to submission correctly. Sosynski would push Irvin off with both his feet as the two exchanged in a last-minute stand-up affair both were cautious both using body kicks to find the range but Irvin would land an excellent two hooks to the body then fake another body hook by going upstairs that punch put him against the fence where Irvin went wild with looping punches which were mostly blocked by Sosynski as the round ended. Round two starts Sosynski barely ducks a huge right hook with some serious pop on it as he shots and gets a double-legged takedown but Irvin was able to get to his feet but Sosynski was still on him as he was unloading with bus-driver uppercuts as he had Irvin trapped against the fence. A beautiful sweep but had Sosynski taking his Irvin’s back but Irving would scramble as his opponent tried to grab the rear-naked choke as it was now Irvin how held Sosynski back, after some brief punches from the top Irvin would find himself mostly in half-guard as Sosynski was doing well to deny a lot of transitions. While the fight started to low down Sosynski quickly grabbed the armbar Irvin would slam him attempting to escape but it would only tighten Sosynski grip who would get the technical-submission as Irvin refused to tap.

The undercard also had some really good performances worth mentioning like the unbeaten Canadian Lightweight prospect Mark Bocek who put on one of the most one-sided beatdowns in UFC history mauling his opponent going 6 for 6 on takedowns Bocek would also defend all 7 takedowns attempted against while also having a huge advantage in strikes landed with a 75 to 11 difference. Drew McFedries the winner of Knockout of the Night does so by entering the Matrix not getting hit with a single recorded strike the finishing sequence came after slipping a 10 punch combination of mostly hooks by Scot Smith but the last punch would be a spinning back fist, McFedries would pull his head back to slip then knockout Smith with a simple cross right to the chin as Smith had his guard down while spinning. He would put the entire Middlewiehgt division on notice by challenging champion Anderson Silva but he has a long way to go before even making a championship bid probably the bare minimum of 5 wins away from receiving one. The last thing of note was the opening bout of the prelims as Mike Russow has broken Chris Tuchscherer undefeated record first round Tuchscherer grabbed a takedown to win round 1, Mike Russow grabbed the takedown to win round 2 as the two went into the third all evened up both who primarily followed wrestling base game-plans threw it all out the window as the last round saw the two exclusively stand. With two wrestlers engaging in mostly a boxing match it went about how many excepted with the two throwing haymakers with little technique the two would miss most of their punches but Russow was able to get in some bodywork when he could while Tuchscherer was exclusively headhunting which probably got him the nod on the judge's scorecards.

QwcrRDh.png

[Headline Two]: Pancrase announces Brock Lesnar’s debut fight for September Week 4

Brock Lesnar to make MMA debut against former UFC champ Ricco Rodriguez

Main-Event

Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar (0-0) vs. Ricco Rodriguez (26-6)

Co-Main

Lightweight: Daisuke Nakamura (12-9) vs. Mizuto Hirota (6-1)

Main-Card

Welterweight: Yuta Watanabe (7-2-4) vs. Hideohiko Hasegawa (14-8-3)

Featherweight: Koichiro Matsumoto (3-0) vs. Miki Shida (13-4-2)

Light-Heavyweight: Veron White (25-29-2) vs. Christian M’Pumbu (6-0)

Prelims

Middleweight: Nobuhiro Tsurmaki (1-12-1) vs. Aziz Karaoglu (4-3)

Heavyweight: Wes Shivers (0-0) vs. Rolles Gracie (0-0)

Middleweight: Mario Miranda (1-0) vs. Francis Carmont (11-5)

When a fighter makes his MMA debut often they usually face someone with the same amount of experience often it’ll be two debuting fighters facing each other or someone with no more than five wins. But WWE superstar Brock Lesnar will be facing a man who has 32 more fights than him plus a former UFC Heavyweight champion and a training partner to former UFC Light-Heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, Lesnar will face Ricco Rodriguez at the Super Saitama Arena. Rodriguez has a very similar skillset to Ortiz but is more effective in his submission wrestling as he has multiple submission wins often favoring the armbar plus with this being Heavyweight he has some solid punching power, but too often does Rodriuez crumble under such high profile bouts after winning the championship from Randy Couture after champion Josh Barnett vacated due to a drug test failure Rodriguez went on a 3-fight skid although it should be mention on of those fights against Antonio Nogueira at ‘PRIDE Total Elimination 2003’ in one of the only cross promotion events the UFC as ever done is considered one of the biggest robberies in MMA history. But generally besides his bout with Couture he tends to underperform in high stakes match-ups like these now Brock Lesnar has made it very well known what he intends to do in debut ‘take him down then smash his head through the canvas’. The rest of the card is pretty thin in terms of name value as Pancrase will be riding on the hype for the debut of Brock Lesnar but there are some solid prospects on the card which could make the event more exciting than originally thought.

Mizuto Hirota a 26-year-old Japanese Lightweight has gained some hype in Japan for his never say die attitude, technical striking who likes to favor mixing his punches up with some savage kicks. His opponent Daisuke Nakamura is a journeyman fighter in all honesty his striking is below par but he is good at entangling his opponents into the muay-thai clinch to land some dirty boxing then drag his opponents to the floor an area of fighting we haven’t seen Hirota in before. Christian M’Pumbu is one of the few fighters native to France who competes in MMA a country where MMA is outlawed due to this M’Pumbu only real strength is his boxing with it being one of the only martial arts he can legally learn which is why he has moved base to the Netherlands to train with Heavyweight Alistair Overeem to become a more well-rounded fighter, Veron White is an MMA veteran despite holding a negative record it can be deceiving as he is more than capable of hanging with top fighters in some ways White a very well-rounded fighter is the exact type of fighter Christian M’Pumbu is training to become. Lastly, Rolles Gracie a member of the legendary Gracie family makes his MMA debut as a multiple-time gold medalist in BBJ plus Judo he was ranked the number 1 BJJ fighter in North America in 2005. Renzo Gracie has had high praise for the upcoming Rolles Gracie who has proclaimed he is ‘the next great Heavyweight’ superstar and ‘the guy to beat Fedor’.

“He is a champion in every aspect of fighting. It's incredible what he does in the gym. He is the greatest Heavyweight I have ever seen. He is the closest to Rickson [Gracie] in how good he is at Gracie-jiu-jitsu. I’m gonna say something that's controversial that isn’t gonna be controversial in a couple of years when he beats him but he can easily dominate Fedor [emelianenko], [Randy] Couture, plus both the Noguiera brothers I think he dominates them all he’ll go down as the greatest Heavyweight in MMA history. Dana White, I hope your watching because you better get this man a contract very soon or else you’ll miss out”.

- Renzo Gracie

JJ9kFwu.png

Owww just missed the main event :D:D:D:D:D

ain-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

Owww just missed the main event :D:D:D:D:D

ain-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims

Your prediction percentage is 95-98% so far in this thread literally made me pause in shock while tallying up how well you and CageRage's predictions did. Thought for a while you got a perfect 8/8.

Main-Event

Co-Main

Main-Card

Prelims