Non Realistic Match Penalties

When I run a match in a promotion between somebody who is a star or major star against somebody who the fans view as unimportant, it's penalised for being "a little too short in the eyes of our audience".

As a result, the match has to last at least twenty minutes to avoid that penalty, however this causes the booking analysis screen to state that the unimportant competitor is being used far too much in this event.

This doesn't replicate wrestling realistically, whether it be a match between an upper midcard/main event star against a lower tier competitor or a squash match featuring a local enhancement talent.

Additionally, if I book another 1 vs. 1 match between two stars or major stars that is allocated the "wild brawl" road agent note, it is penalised if it goes longer than 15 minutes. However, since it is contested for between two stars or major stars, it is given the penalty of being "a little too short in the eyes of our audience".

Due to these issues, I think it would be logical to remove the under 20 minute penalty for "important matches" as that doesn't replicate real life squash matches or matches between stars and non-stars or even singles matches that are wild brawls, such as New Japan's eleven minute 2013 G1 Climax bout between Katsuyori Shibata and Tomohiro Ishii, which is one of their most praised bouts of the millennium, but would receive large penalties in TEW.

Don't sweat it - there's nothing wrong with having penalties. Crowds want to see your top stars wrestling for longer. They don't want to see your unimportant wrestlers wrestle for a long time. Put them together and someone's unhappy. Doesn't matter. Either make sure you're booking it as a "well executed squash" (has to be less than 5 minutes), or give the unimportant wrestler more time, at the expense of some people not caring.

Don't look for the magic formula with no penalties. It's not worth it.

When I run a match in a promotion between somebody who is a star or major star against somebody who the fans view as unimportant, it's penalised for being "a little too short in the eyes of our audience".

As a result, the match has to last at least twenty minutes to avoid that penalty, however this causes the booking analysis screen to state that the unimportant competitor is being used far too much in this event.

This doesn't replicate wrestling realistically, whether it be a match between an upper midcard/main event star against a lower tier competitor or a squash match featuring a local enhancement talent.

Additionally, if I book another 1 vs. 1 match between two stars or major stars that is allocated the "wild brawl" road agent note, it is penalised if it goes longer than 15 minutes. However, since it is contested for between two stars or major stars, it is given the penalty of being "a little too short in the eyes of our audience".

Due to these issues, I think it would be logical to remove the under 20 minute penalty for "important matches" as that doesn't replicate real life squash matches or matches between stars and non-stars or even singles matches that are wild brawls, such as New Japan's eleven minute 2013 G1 Climax bout between Katsuyori Shibata and Tomohiro Ishii, which is one of their most praised bouts of the millennium, but would receive large penalties in TEW.

I am certainly no expert on this, but what road agent notes are you using and do those mitigate some of the penalty

Don't sweat it - there's nothing wrong with having penalties. Crowds want to see your top stars wrestling for longer. They don't want to see your unimportant wrestlers wrestle for a long time. Put them together and someone's unhappy. Doesn't matter. Either make sure you're booking it as a "well executed squash" (has to be less than 5 minutes), or give the unimportant wrestler more time, at the expense of some people not caring.

Don't look for the magic formula with no penalties. It's not worth it.

Bingo

There will always be drawbacks for not booking the perfect match.

This is just one of them and it's not at all unrealistic. IRL seeing The Rock have a 5 minute match with Mideon is going to disappoint people that wanted to see more of The Rock. Having that match go for 20 minutes is going to annoy people that have no interest in seeing Mideon wrestle.

Lol sounds like AEW TBH. I’m not a die hard so It always annoyed me seeing their top guys go 20 minutes with nobody’s especially Cody’s TNT run…On the other hand, people wanted to see Cody go 20 minutes.

As for a wild brawl, that could get old fast if it goes on for too long, but again people will want to see Moxley vs Omega in such a match even if the match went on for too long…

Bingo

There will always be drawbacks for not booking the perfect match.

This is just one of them and it's not at all unrealistic. IRL seeing The Rock have a 5 minute match with Mideon is going to disappoint people that wanted to see more of The Rock. Having that match go for 20 minutes is going to annoy people that have no interest in seeing Mideon wrestle.

This is ignoring the fact that the people wouldn't care if The Rock wrestles for 5 minutes as long as he's featured on the rest of the show, something TEW can't take into account.

From a game design perspective, when you're throwing penalties at the player, you're conditioning them to not do it again, that's just a fact. There's all kinds of penalties in TEW that you can avoid entirely if you book as unrealistically as possible so at that point I'd say the whole system is pointless. Even with match aims, 99 times out of 100 you're just going to get the best rating with a Regular aim, so why even bother having the rest? There's no sense of nuance to the system - penalties are completely black and white, match aims are just there to fill a product quota - so why have them at all when the end result is just to annoy you and encourage you to play around them at the expense of your own immersion?

This is ignoring the fact that the people wouldn't care if The Rock wrestles for 5 minutes as long as he's featured on the rest of the show, something TEW can't take into account.

From a game design perspective, when you're throwing penalties at the player, you're conditioning them to not do it again, that's just a fact. There's all kinds of penalties in TEW that you can avoid entirely if you book as unrealistically as possible so at that point I'd say the whole system is pointless. Even with match aims, 99 times out of 100 you're just going to get the best rating with a Regular aim, so why even bother having the rest? There's no sense of nuance to the system - penalties are completely black and white, match aims are just there to fill a product quota - so why have them at all when the end result is just to annoy you and encourage you to play around them at the expense of your own immersion?

This is where the overall show grade comes in at. You’re less likely going to get penalized for overusing Rock. Anything else Rock do on the show is going to neutralize the penalty from him going 5 mins with Mideon.

The problem is most of the penalties are thrown in your face and are not in the background where they should be. It should be tucked in the dirt sheets. Also with the current theme of the game, unbalanced. There is lack of risk vs reward and this also trickle down to penalties.

I think match aims should be used and probably be among the most important parts of booking a show, it’s just that the penalties are often making them useless and encourage using the regular matches (as mentioned).

If I’m running CZW the fans should want to see blood and run ins and crazy stuff, but the overbooked note is never a positive so there’s no point to use it. You’ll get the same result as a regular match with interference notes.

Same for a ton of other notes like SE finish (double DQ is better), Epic/Spectacle serve no purpose when normal matches turn out better, etc. Warm/Calm the crowd are broken and also would be better served as normal matches, etc. What use is a high spots or wild brawl match as opposed to a normal match that goes all out? The latter is useful for everyone and not just people with a specific skill.

In the end I feel like it’s showing where TEW lacks and where WMMA shines is the critical vs commercial performance that’s blended into one in TEW. The penalties wouldn’t matter if the end of the show could still be a success based on other factors that don’t revolve around trying to fight for the biggest number rating. Who cares if my two stars have bad chemistry if they will still make my main event a success?

This is the key though.

The penalty note specifically refers to the match, not the whole show. The Rock vs. Erick Rowan shouldn't get a 90 rating, just because it involved the Rock. The segment surrounding the match is what The Rock's main involvment on that WM show was. That's what prevents the show note of "Lack of big names for a company of this size" to appear on the "Finish Show" screen.