Issue with scroll bars / sliders suddenly disappearing [with Solution] [ARCHIVE]

I also just saw that someone said this issue was also on WMMA5 but I don't have the issue. I'm on patch 1.16 which means I don't have the latest patch. I can download 1.17 to see if there's an issue with that patch that's causing problems on WMMA5.

If you have 1909, you have version 19H2 (click System-About to see) for Windows 10. 1909 just released update KB5001337, which appears to be causing the issue, but it is a lower OS Build (18363.1500) that will be out of support soon.

I have the October 2020 updated version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928 - last updated on 4/13). I am not seeing the scroll bar issue there.

I would recommend anyone on 19H2 (1909) go to version 20H2 (19042) as MS is stopping support on May, 11 2021 on 1909/version 19H2:

IMPORTANT Windows 10, version 1909 will reach end of service on May 11, 2021 for devices running the Home, Pro, Pro for Workstation, and Server SAC editions. After May 11, 2021, these devices will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-13-2021-kb5001337-os-build-18363-1500-e7336837-2aaa-4f73-995c-ab2ba5013727

If you have 1909, you have version 19H2 (click System-About to see) for Windows 10. 1909 just released update KB5001337, which appears to be causing the issue, but it is a lower OS Build (18363.1500) that will be out of support soon.

I have the October 2020 updated version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928 - last updated on 4/13). I am not seeing the scroll bar issue there.

I would recommend anyone on 19H2 (1909) go to version 20H2 (19042) as MS is stopping support on May, 11 2021 on 1909/version 19H2:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-13-2021-kb5001337-os-build-18363-1500-e7336837-2aaa-4f73-995c-ab2ba5013727

Oh so if I have version 19041.867, I should be okay to update Windows?

(I don't have this issue right now-- just weary of updating)

Hi I'm just jumping on to say that i'm having a similar issue, in that i can scroll up and down any list you get to from the buttons on the left hand side so workers, companies, training, however I can't scroll on workers popularity or skills or the assistant stuff in the office. Aswell I cant scroll through the list of databases on the main screen

7dac3ea481c3091e022b203995a8f48e

2fb207908b42791cfa78b35cb0e3d024

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arlie Rahn" data-cite="Arlie Rahn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52965" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you have 1909, you have version 19H2 (click System-About to see) for Windows 10. 1909 just released update KB5001337, which appears to be causing the issue, but it is a lower OS Build (18363.1500) that will be out of support soon.<p> </p><p> I have the October 2020 updated version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928 - last updated on 4/13). I am not seeing the scroll bar issue there.</p><p> </p><p> I would recommend anyone on 19H2 (1909) go to version 20H2 (19042) as MS is stopping support on May, 11 2021 on 1909/version 19H2:</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <a href="https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-13-2021-kb5001337-os-build-18363-1500-e7336837-2aaa-4f73-995c-ab2ba5013727" rel="external nofollow">https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-13-2021-kb5001337-os-build-18363-1500-e7336837-2aaa-4f73-995c-ab2ba5013727</a></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This worked for me. I had the scroll problem after I updated and I took your advice and updated to 20h2 and the problem is gone. It appears to be a problem with that particular update.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="badjokesgaming" data-cite="badjokesgaming" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52965" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hi I'm just jumping on to say that i'm having a similar issue, in that i can scroll up and down any list you get to from the buttons on the left hand side so workers, companies, training, however I can't scroll on workers popularity or skills or the assistant stuff in the office. Aswell I cant scroll through the list of databases on the main screen</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That would very likely be the same issue; <em>any</em> scroll bar-related problem that has started happening in the past three days is almost certainly going to be due to the recent Windows update, it would be an extraordinary coincidence if it wasn't.</p><p> </p><p> You should check your recent Windows updates and then, assuming it fits the pattern of showing that you've recently installed one of the 'bad' updates, follow the advice that has been given by Arlie.</p>

I've tried following the advice in this thread but nothing seems to solve my issue. I have tried installing a different version of Windows but nothing seems to be able to install. I've clicked on the link in this thread but can't see where the download is. I'm not the best with computers so I might be missing something obvious other versions of Windows will not install on my laptop.

<p>Amusing tidbit from i-programmer:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52965" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There's a problem for applications based on Visual Basic for all Windows machines that have installed the cumulative updates for August. The issue, raised by Microsoft, says that apps may stop responding if they use VB6, VBA, or VB Scripting Edition.<p> </p><p> The information, which has been added to the Knowledge Base pages for the August Update for all the major versions of Windows from Windows 7 onwards, reads:</p><p> </p><p> "After installing this update, applications that were made using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), macros using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and scripts or apps using Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) may stop responding and you may receive an "invalid procedure call error."</p><p> </p><p> vbsicon</p><p> </p><p> Microsoft seems remarkably calm about having done this to every single installation of Windows and to billions of users.</p><p> The Workaround section says:</p><p> </p><p> "Microsoft is presently investigating this issue and will provide an update when available."</p><p> </p><p> Well, that's all right, then.</p><p> </p><p> The issue was also posted as the final item after things that were obviously more important such as a problem if you attempt to rename files on a cluster shared volume as a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege. Obviously, this is going to cause headaches for a lot more people than the tiny percentage of developers who've used such minority languages as Visual Basic or VBA.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And then in March on mobilize.net</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52965" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="https://www.mobilize.net/blog/windows-update-kills-vb6-apps1" rel="external nofollow">https://www.mobilize.net/blog/windows-update-kills-vb6-apps1</a></div></blockquote>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="EZE85" data-cite="EZE85" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52965" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wouldn't we have an issue with *lots* of other programs eventually if we roll back the update for just the few apps in visual basic?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, I think our main suggestion is not to roll back but to move to 20H2 if people can; as Arlie posted, 19H2 (for which this problem occurs) becomes obsolete in a few weeks, so putting aside that it will solve the issue with the scroll bars, moving up to 20H2 is going to be better for your PC security, health, etc, anyway.</p><p> </p><p> In terms of rolling back the 'bad' update, from the listing Microsoft has given it doesn't look like it would have a major effect, but you're correct that we can't know that for sure.</p><p> </p><p> We're still looking into other ways to address this, but as I hope people can appreciate, this is a problem Microsoft have caused at the operating system level (or at least a problem for VB developers), so there's not that many options for things we can do at our end in terms of patches. At the present time, if you're unwilling or unable to either go to upgrade or roll back then we don't have any current ways for you to get around the scroll bar problem.</p>

<p>Ive been clicking the update, but theres no update apparently available and it says that I have the following</p><p> </p><p>

Version 1909</p><p>

Installed 28/08/2019</p><p> </p><p>

When I know it did an update last night and again this morning... #isnottechy</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="EZE85" data-cite="EZE85" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52965" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hi Adam. Is it possible *not being a coder* to replace the scroll bars with value boxes? A tool tip could inform you what the range is?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's definitely <em>possible</em>, but it'd be something of a last resort given that it'd mean having to have two different versions of every game (one for 19H2 people, one for everyone else) and rewriting a fair bit of code to take the change into account.</p>

• Adam Ryland changed the title to Issue with scroll bars / sliders suddenly disappearing [with Solution] [ARCHIVE]
  • Adam Ryland unpinned this topic