EwiakVerse 1991 (HYPE)

ewYG0uV.png

THE EWIAKVERSE

The year is 1991 – but it's a different 1991 than in this reality.

Of course, not everything has changed – Hulk Hogan is still a massive star, Jushin Liger is lighting up the rings in Japan, Ric Flair & Dusty Rhodes have backstage heat, and Paul Heyman has upset his prior employers and is in a form of exile.

But, other things are different – there's a national company based out of St. Louis, the Man You Knew as Sting is called Flash King, and he's also the man who ended the Hulk Hogan title reign at Wrestlemania VI in front of 60,000 odd people in Toronto, the trio of old-school promoters in Minnesota, Memphis, and Dallas actually are working together under their version of the NWA, called the United States Wrestling Association, and they're surviving far better than they are in our reality.

Some wrestlers have national exposure long before they did in real life, others are dealing with injuries, different men have different gimmicks, and there are promotions that exist, that never happened in our reality – this is a new wrestling reality.

This is the Ewiakverse.

SO REALLY, WHAT IS THIS?

The Ewiakverse is an alternate history mod I've been working off-and-on when I've had the time, passion, and inspiration in a vague way for years, more seriously since TEW 2016, and truly more seriously since TEW 2020.

The very, very basic idea is Sam Muchnick still retires, but instead of hanging things over to the motley crew of Bob Geigel, Harley Race, and Pat O'Connor, and later giving up the 'Wrestling at the Chase' timeslot to Vince McMahon, he decides to use his significant backroom power within the NWA to give Larry Matisyk a leg up, allowing the vaunted St. Louis Wrestling Club to fight the WWF to a stand-still in their region, and for the promotion to quickly buy out the Kansas City territory, and start expanding throughout the Midwestern regions not dominated by the AWA.

This results in changes such as Magnum TA never having his auto accident, Mid-South never being able to expand outside of it original territory and quickly failing to pressure from both the expanded St. Louis territory and World Class, and other changes, but other things stay the same – David Von Erich still dies, the WWF still becomes a national power, and many of the territories die out since the actual history shows that cable television and the lack of ability to react to that truly killed the smaller territories, not so much Vince McMahon.

In addition, the true thing that guaranteed the WWF becoming a national player was that it already had large swathes of the top markets in the Northeast locked up, and California's territories had died out in the late 70's/early '80s. Do you want to stop the WWF expansion? Run Vince McMahon off the road in Maine on some cold winter night in 1981 or make sure the Los Angeles and San Francisco territories don't burn themselves out into dying husks, all while disco is still popular.

Now, I've made some changes to reality for the sake of the story I'm trying to tell, but I've also made other changes, on luck. Since in reality, I'm only one man, and hostage to my own biases, I decided to throw a bit of chaos into things. So, what I did was I ran an RNG for every single person in the database. If somebody in the database got a 90 or above, or a 10 or below, I ran the RNG again, depending on the second number that was rolled, a series of changes were made to their stats, overness, and success in the intervening yeas since my point of departure. As I go over the mod, I'll point out some of these changes, both the good and the bad, as we go through the different wrestling world.

DATA/GRAPHICS/ETC.

So, since I started this in TEW 2016, this is all originally coming from justxyank's great 1991 mod, along with adding Aesemon's Broadcaster DB, and for the moment, using nGo graphics. I might check out some other graphic packs, and see if there's anything better, at a later point. Of course, there's also some (mediocre at best) graphics created by me, when it comes to the additional companies and shows that have been created.

WHAT I HAVE DONE / STILL LEFT TO DO / FUTURE UPDATES

At a basic level, the mod is largely done. I still have to edit some wrestlers, double-check some narratives, etc. It runs, it simulates, and things aren't too crazy. However, I'm still not done making some graphics, fine-tuning the testing, and making some backend decisions.

The basic update plan is this – the next post after this will be a narrative history of the wrestling world, from 1983 to 1990, then there'll be an overview of a company, followed by another narrative post based around some of the changes, major moments, interviews, etc. There will be kayfabe'd magazine posts, 'real' news articles, and backstage transcripts, all to build up this alternative version of reality, while I work on the actual data.

Moments in Time

March 29th, 1982

St. Louis, Missouri

Sam Muchnick was officially retired, but everybody knows that nobody really retires from the wrestling business, so even though the elder statement of the National Wrestling Alliance doesn't show up to the St. Louis Wrestling Club office anymore, he still wields considerable power within the consortium, which is why he's currently talking to the current NWA World Champion, Ric Flair, making sure the jet' flying son-of-a-gun doesn't skimp out on his bookings in St. Louis and Kansas City.

“Ric, Ric, I've told you a dozen times, that Harley sold his interest in both St. Louis and Kansas City when we decided to consoldiate things. I realize Crockett has done a lot for you, but this is still the heartland of the NWA, and if we're going to protect this territory in the long run, we need you out here on the regular.”

Muchnick heard Flair's response, then said, “Larry's a good kid. He's a little abrasive at times, but he has good ideas, and more importantly, he doesn't have an ego. I understand why some territories have to do it, but I've never understood giving a worker the book. Obviously, Dick, Pat, and Harley all had a voice in decisions, but you can't give you guys the keys to the asylum, regardless of what you may think. But, I'll give him a call and remind him you are the Champ, so if you turn up to a interview session a little late, don't be so harsh on you.”

Mushnick waited again, then said, “now, let me know what's going on with Piper and Steamboat...”

June 30th, 1984

St. Louis, Missouri

For the second time in a few months, Vince McMahon was walking out of the KPLR-TV office, incredibly upset.

“Goddamit Pat, why don't these local yokels understand that I'm offering them a better product, and I'm even offering to pay? How many bodies does Muchnick have the knowledge of where they're buried?”

Pat Patterson, Vince's erstwhile right-hand man and the one who was helping guide the national expansion of the World Wrestling Federation responded, “well Vince, they've had the St. Louis club on their TV station basically since it first went on the air. People in that building have houses they've bought in part due to that show. Plus, unlike a lot of places -”

“They aren't tits up in drawing money. I know, I know. I tried calling Muchnick and he basically blew me off. Wished me luck in California, but reminded me that his city had a vibrant wrestling scene and that it didn't need the WWF. That son of a bitch dinosaur! Speaking of which, how do tickets look for tonight?”

“About 5 or 6 thousand.”

“How'd Matisyk's group do last week?”

“A little under ten thousand, but they had Flair on top.”

“Still, we've got actual stars. Thunderlips! Hell, Mr. T was a special referee last month and still, nothing.”

“Could be worse, Vince. Still doing better than Memphis or Dallas.”

“Don't remind me.”

With that, two men attempting to create a colossus entered the well-appointed Lincoln Continental and got driven back to the Checkerdome.

June 18th, 1986

Tulsa, Oklahoma

“Ted, I appreciate you not leaving me in the lurch, but I hope you also understand how disappointed I am it's come to this,” said Bill Watts, as he sat behind his desk, his gruff voice almost in complete exasperation, seeing another top star leaving his promotion. “I have to be honest though, I am happy it's not Vince.”

“Bill, I do appreciate everything you've done for me, but I've also got to be honest – there's no way I can afford not taking this deal from St. Louis. Even putting aside the money, I'll be seen all over the country, and even the world if they get certain clearances. Let's look around here as well – I've seen the crowds, and they're not getting any better, even when we run good angles. There's just not enough people coming through the turnstiles to afford staying around.”

Ted was being harsh, but it was true. The combination of the drop in crude oil prices, combined with the exodus of all his top guys, either to St. Louis, Dallas, Charlotte, or New York, had absolutely destroyed the ability of the promotion to draw any money. Occasionally, he'd been able to pop a crowd if somebody who enjoyed working in Japan like Steve Williams or somebody between runs like The Rock 'n' Roll's had a couple of spare months, but he was now pushing guys that wouldn't have sniffed the midcard eighteen months earlier.

“Well, I'll close ya' out by the end of the month. Of course, you'll be jobbing out, but it won't be anything too over the top. I respect you too much to do that, plus it's not like it'd make that much of a difference.”

Both men stood up and shook hands. After DiBiase left the office, ready to get on the road to a house show in Oklahoma City later in the day, Watts sat down and made another phone call.

“Hello, this is Bill Watts. Is Larry Matisyik in at the moment? Sure, I'll hold.”

A moment passed.

“Larry, I think you know why I'm calling. I can admit when I'm licked, even if wasn't totally your doing. However, the last thing I want is to end up selling to that [bLEEP] in Charlotte, that SOB McMahon, or even Fritz and his drug addled boys. You're still doing things right, and I think we can make a reasonable deal on my TV contracts. I'm no going to lay out a number, but I'll send Joel out to you next week, after we tape TV, to talk things over.”

An era was ending, but a new one was beginning.

October 18th, 1986

Dallas, Texas

Fritz Von Erich shook hands with Ric Flair, then watched him leave Reunion Arena, after a big arena show that had finished with what had bad seen by the typical finish to leave the fans home happy – in the main event where Flair defended the NWA World title against Kerry Von Erich, there was a ref bump of long-time NWA official Tommy Young, head World Class official David Manning taking over, and a backslide where Young counted both men down, while Manning seemingly counted only Flair's shoulders down.

To most fans in the audience, it seemed obvious for another rematch, maybe at Thanksgiving or Star Wars. But, the reality was, this was likely the last time that an NWA Champion would wrestle on a show booked by World Class Championship Wrestling, or perhapss more importantly, the St. Louis Wrestling Club.

Sitting down in his office, Fritz made a call. Larry Matisyk answered.

“It's done. We've got the footage. I'll cut what we need too, but I'll send you the masters so your guys can make what edits you need too. I'll also tape the resignation announcement before anybody else shows up, and send that along as well.”

Fritz knew this was war. But, it was also necessary. With Mid-South, Florida, and other territories giving up the ghost, a problem was quickly rising – Crockett taking complete control over booking of the NWA World Title. It had really started rising in the middle of 1985, and had only gotten worse – tonight was only the 3rd date he'd gotten on the champion this year, and St. Louis was barely doing any better, all while Flair was working all over the country for Crockett as his World Championship Wrestling program was blasted on the Superstation every Saturday on cable throughout the nation.

While Friz was visiting St. Louis for their big stadium show in May, Matisyk, along with new office member Jim Ross, had approached Fritz about an alliance. The deal was simple – they'd both withdraw from the NWA at the same time, and between both of their syndication deals, and agreements to beef up each other's big shows, they could fight Crockett to a draw on their home turf, and force them to withdraw, at least for the moment.

The reality was, Fritz was smart enough to know that his goose was quickly becoming cooked – the Freebirds outside of Hayes were gone, Kerry wasn't exactly stable, and the rest of the family were hanging on by a thread. A deal with Crockett might've kept them running 'hot' for a little while longer. On the other hand, withdrawing from the NWA, and teaming up with St. Louis was likely the only way for one of his boys to get a legitimate World Title run that wasn't obviously a sympathy run, or some pity BS two week run because Flair had a new girlfriend he wanted to go on a vacation with.

Outside of Manning and Kevin, nobody else on the roster knew. He expected to lose some people, even though most of the locker room were far closer to Fritz than the NWA. On the other hand, if this failed, people would likely know that a victorious Crockett and Barnett would remember whom they backed.

It was simple then – don't lose.

Fritz had to chuckle at that, as he took a long drink out of his whiskey, and thought about it all. David. The Parade of Champions. The two thirds full Reunion Arena tonight. How'd the song one of his sons had told him about went? Better to burn out than to fade away, indeed.

July 26th, 1987

Richmond, Virginia

The champagne was flowing, and the party was just beginning, but for Terry Allen, he was still somewhat in a state of shock. Of course, he'd known about this for weeks, if not months, but it still didn't feel quite real to be holding the NWA World Title in his hands. He still wasn't sure how long he was even going to hold the strap – Flair and Sullivan had told him this wasn't going to be any Tommy Rich bullshit, but at the same time, but outside of that reign and the Von Erich deal (which seemed hilarious considering recent news), he was the first man not named Flair, Rhodes, or Race likely to have a considerable time with the belt as champion in nearly a decade.

He felt the numerous hands slapping his bucks, telling him congratulations, even the heels who had snuck into the babyface locker room in a breach of kayfabe, that was being forgotten now that the fans were out of the arena, aside from a few of the nighttime companions of the wrestlers, who were well aware of the lack of reality of what was happening in the ring.

Still though, Terry almost felt a chill up his spine – after all, so many long drives, late nights, hard matches, and backstage blowups. Any one of those things could've stopped this from happening, so for now, he was just going to enjoy the moment.

March 7th, 1988

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Jerry Lawler had two thoughts as he took a seat, waiting for his plane back to Memphis. Even under a heavy sweater, the lovely young woman sitting a row down from him was well endowed, and more importantly, he still didn't understand why human beings decided to live in these frozen conditions.

Lawler had just left the third, or was it the fourth meeting between himself, Greg Gagne, and Kevin Von Erich, who were working together to hammer out an agreement they could agree too, and more importantly, at least when it came to the other two men involved, their father cum bosses could agree too. In the aftermath of Fritz's agreeement with St. Louis imploding (it seems Kerry showing up to 3rd straight Keil shows high as a kite had meant that they no longer wanted to give him their belt at their big stadium show), the younger Von Erich knew that in order for World Class to survive as a viable territory through the end of the year, they had to find some new partners.

For Lawler, along with Jerry Jarrett, they'd largely stayed out of the Wrestling Wars, safely enconsed in their DMZ of Memphis, where names like Dundee, Lawler, and Fargo mattered far more than Hogan, Flair, or even Funk, but three companies all trying to expand now meant that there was a ton more wrestling television on their air in the area – sure, a lot of it was on relatively low power UWF stations, but even on those stations, the production values stood out, and the drop in business had been noticable. However, Lawler had kept a good relationship with Minneapolis, especially Bockwinkel and the younger Gagne, so after getting the call from Von Erich, Lawler reached out to the man who'd helped sell Verne on making him a World Champion in a few short weeks, on bringing in the Dallas office as a partner in the deal they'd made last year.

Of course, there'd been arguments over titles, big shows, booking agreements, and all the like, but Lawler was actually quite sure a deal would be made, since everybody needed it – the AWA had held relatively firm, even as Vince purged their roster seemingly for fun, but Curt Hennig staying, and Sgt. Slaughter showing up had buoyed them enough that they weren't in a tailspin, so they were looking for more help. As far as World Class went, they had their good syndication deal, two healthy Von Erich's, and some big shows in Texas to offer up. Memphis had something the other two companes didn't – stability. Short of getting caught with a dead girl or a live boy, the WMC TV slot was sacroscant, and not even Crockett had been bring enough of the Memphis audience over, to actually draw a decent crowd in the area.

Now, the only question was a name – ideas like the Global Wrestling Federation, National Wrestling League, and Universal Wrestling Alliance had been shot down, but as Lawler absent mindily drew while waiting for the plane back to Memphis to board, some letters came to him – USWL? USWF? USWA?

After all, a lot of his fans, Jerry thought, would supprot something United States-based more than a global sanctioning body.

Then, a stewardess (cute, but too old for Jerry) said they were boarding, and the future AWA World Champion tried to see if the young woman who'd been sitting a row down from him, had an open seat on the plane.

August 28th, 1988

New York, New York

Steve Borden was ready.

The face paint was on, he was jacked up, and pacing right behind the curtain, as he heard twenth thousand people booing the living daylights out of Iron Shiek, as the WWF Intercontinental Champion blasted America, and was about to declare an open challenge – that would be Borden's cue to become Flash King, rush out to the ring, and easily defeat Shiek in under a minute to claim the championship.

After bouncing around small territories like Memphis, Continental, and even the dying embers for Florida for a few months after Mid-South has closed shop, and St. Louis had professionally, but firmly told them they weren't going to book him, he was surprised to get the call from Pat Patterson for a gig with the WWF, but he'd quickly risen up the card, and now on some nights, was getting responses close to that of Hulk Hogan.

Flash King, a combination of an idea that McMahon had previously had for Randy Savage (The Macho King) and Borden's first wrestling name (Flash), was more explosive, flew through the air, and in many ways, was even more colorful and cartoonish than the flag waving 'Real American' and some people at the WWF offices in Connecticut had quietly let him know that among younger kids, his merchandise was selling at an even clip with Hulk. McMahon hadn't told him explicitly that tonight was a stepping stone to becoming the WWF Champion, but it was already well known that Hogan would likely be taking time off after the next Wrestlemania, in part to recover from the grind of nearly six years straight as champion, but also to film a movie.

If he didn't screw this up, he could be walking out of Toronto not just the Intercontinental champion, but also the WWF Champion and Hulk's successor. As Steve heard the first few notes of his ferentic theme, he took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and when he opened them, he ran through the curtain – Steve Borden was gone. Flash King had arrived to Summerslam.

April 23rd, 1989

Tampa, Florida

Terry Bollea couldn't believe it.

Vince had sold him the hell out. He assumed that he was coming back like a bat out of hell after filming was done, right into the big feud with 'Quake, and then taking the title belt. Now, Vince was telling him not only was there no plan to take the belt off Flash, and get it back to him, but he was also being programmed with Rude, despite telling Vince he thought Rude was going to be stiff with him.

McMahon had tired to assuage him that Rude had gotten bigger, and softer in the ring, but any other time, Vince would've agreed, and Flash would've been stuck trying to make Rude a viable contender. It didn't help that one of his snitches in the office had let him know that Flash's wrestling buddy was selling almost as well as his.

Terry hadn't killed himself on the road for the past six plus years, showing up to every TV interview, Make-A-Wish gimmick, or even flying out to Timbuktu to talk to the troops, just to get passed over for some face painted kid who could fly over the ropes, and hit a big splash. He'd tried to get Bruti to give him some heat, but well, Bruti wasn't exactly a Green Beret, and managed to give himself some heat.

Looking over at Linda in bed, the 'Incredible' (Vince had also shot down his Immortal nickname before the last 'Mania') realized that he was far from that, and he needed a plan to stay on top of the mountain. He'd neutralized Randy without even really trying – a few friendly talks with Elizabeth, and the guy had blown up like a nutbar right in front of Vince, so there had been an angle to pressure McMahon about Flash.

After all, the main reason that Terry had even agreed to do the job in Toronto, was that he didn't seem like a threat. Now, it was damn obvious he was, and Terry Bollea needed a plan. Or a way out.

I'm disappointed in how little response this has gotten so far. This is a really intriguing setup! I look forward to seeing it progress.

To be fair to other people, this is an alternate history and I don't have prior mod experience. Plus, I also didn't post any kind of beta or such, which I think also drives interest. If I had posted a 1999 mod, with a data link, it probably would've gotten more attention, but hopefully, as I release more info, people will become more interested.

I'm disappointed in how little response this has gotten so far. This is a really intriguing setup! I look forward to seeing it progress.

I saw it when it got posted, and meant to say something... Buuuut kinda forgot. lol

But yeah, this looks cool as hell. I love alt world stuff. Especially highly detailed stuff like this.

• 9 months later...

So, this is _not_ dead.

Basically - real life intervened, then I got distracted. But, for the past six weeks or so, I've been worked on this fairly regularly and I'm getting close to something workable. Multi-year tests don't look too horrible, or at least no horrible than any other long term save in TEW.

Regardless, let's get back on track, by going over the World Wrestling Federation.

i7Ux5vB.jpg

'The Revolutionary Force in Sports Entertainment' is by far still, the most powerful wrestling promotion in the world, and truly the only global powerhouse in the business as of the start of the 90's, but it wasn't quite the almost total walkover it was in real life. With Los Angeles and San Francisco still in tatters, McMahon still took over the West Coast fairly easily, thanks to the death of the California territories nearly a decade earlier, but between the St. Louis territory remaining the 'kingpin' of the National Wrestling Alliance at-first, and Jim Crockett Promotions making a few smarter booking decisions, some ripples have been created in history.

Wrestlemania III still had Hulk Hogan slamming Andre the Giant, but the show itself was only in front of around 70,000 people at the Silverdome instead of (supposedly) 93,000, as both a slightly resurgent AWA and a stronger St. Louis/Kansas City territory had enough strength in the Midwest to deny Vince McMahon the public relations coup that was supposedly beating the Pope. On the other hand, the MegaPowers angle still happened, and it was still a hugely successful storyline, even though Savage's heel manager was Madusa Miceli, instead of Sherri Martel (who has taken a shift in her career will talk about later).

Another change in history is as noted, there was a face-painted superface that won the I-C title in seconds at Summerslam '88, but it was Steve Borden under the facepaint instead of Jim Helwig, and he was running over The Iron Shiek, instead of The Honky Tonk Man. Since then, Flash King has quickly become even a bigger star, and without ripping his knee climbing a cage, Flash still has explosive offense, and that has helped him remain over, along with a slightly more down-to-earth character that doesn't totally drive away teenage and young adult fans from the WWF audience, as Warrior did in our timeline.

Now, as 1991 begins, the question remains for the WWF – will they pull the trigger on Hogan – Flash II, with the undercurrent that Hogan will get his win back? Will they move the title to a top heel instead, giving Hogan a way to win back the title without splitting the fans? Or, will they keep the title on Flash, and hope Hogan doesn't get upset enough to simply walk away?

WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION

MAJOR PLAYERS

MRPE2bk.jpg

FLASH KING

After arriving in the WWF, shortly after the collapse of the Mid-South territory in early 1987, Sting was quickly pushed up the card, winning the I-C title in 30 seconds at Summerslam 1988, then defeating Hulk Hogan to become WWF Champion at WrestleMania VI, becoming the first man to pin Hogan cleanly in years.

LGFVg1F.jpg

HULK HOGAN

‘The Incredible’ Hulk Hogan is still the biggest name in professional wrestling, but the relative better strength of other companies meant that Hogan isn’t quite the massive star he is in our timeline, even though Hogan is still a huge star, and has been in the movies. With much of the same history, including feuds with Roddy Piper, Paul Orndorff, and other early on, before the huge money feud with Randy Savage. After dropping the WWF Title to King, and taking the summer off to shoot a movie, Hogan has a crossroads where he’ll either move entirely toward Hollywood or try to take the top spot back in the locker room.

OTKYktp.jpgnlyetqi.jpg

‘MACHO MAN’ RANDY SAVAGE (w/ Madusa)

No ‘Macho King’ in this timeline, but Savage still broke up the MegaPowers, had perhaps the greatest match in WWF history, and became the #2 star in the promotion behind Hulk, but Savage’s backup has been Madusa, not Sherri Martel, but even though you could argue he’s still the top heel in the promotion, there are questions about what his role in the near-term for the WWF will be. Especially after a year where he had a less-than-spectacular feud with Dusty Rhodes, who has recently left the promotion, leaving Savage with no obvious opponent.

3o2ZsWK.jpg

EARTHQUAKE (w/ Bobby Heenan)

Earthquake made his debut in the WWF in much the same way, attacking Flash King in late ‘89 instead of somebody else, but has been a destructive force since then, restarting his feud with Flash during the fall of 1990, after the face-painted hero won the WWF Title, and looking quite dominant.

FnysybZ.jpg

BIG BOSS MAN

Boss Man showed up in the WWF around the same time as in our timeline, having the huge feud with Hogan, teaming up with other members of Heenan’s stable, and even trying to take the I-C title off Flash King, before turning babyface when he refused to help a beatdown of The Nasty Boys. In the last few months though, Boss Man has been feuding with Cpl. Carnage, as Boss Man has been righteous that even a military man like Carnage is not beyond the Long Arm of the Law!

XqzEXRw.jpg

JIM DUGGAN

Since arriving in the WWF, choosing the company over the fledgling Pro Wrestling America after Mid-South collapsed, Duggan has been a semi-main event act in the company, never quite getting to the top of the card, but never being moved down to midcard comedy act like he was after his drug arrest. As a result, Duggan has had two short title reigns (an I-C title reign and a tag title reign w/ Tito Santana) and is always a threat to the rulebreakers all around the World Wrestling Federation.

45TMZ84.jpg

RICK RUDE (w/ Bobby Heenan)

The Ravishing One has been an awesome force in the World Wrestling Federation since his debut, quickly rising the ranks, including a big-time feud with Flash King over the Intercontinental Title. After WrestleMania VI though, instead of going after the WWF Championship, Rude has continually called out Hogan even though the babyface announcers repeatedly told the fans watching on television that Hogan was not in the building. Hogan made his return at Summerslam ’90, where Rude interrupted a Barber Shop, and it’s been off to the races from there.

vKvx2CJ.jpg

TITO SANTANA

Winning the Intercontinental Title for the 3rd time in his illustrious career in the spring of 1990, after it was vacated by Flash King, Santana’s career in the WWF has largely been along the same lines as in our timeline, winning the Tag Titles w/ Duggan, and being a solid midcard talent. Recently though, Slick’s charge One Man Gang has begun to chase after Santana, hitting him with three 747 Splashes on a Superstars in November. Will this be Tito’s Last Stand, or can Santana continue to have a late-career resurgence?

OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE

lOkxstx.jpg

BRET HART

After years of success in the tag division, including three tag title reigns with his brother-in-law Jim Neidhart, Hart has recently moved into singles action, attempting to rise to the top of the WWF, in a company dominated by larger-than-life characters. He’s been successful so far, but also has largely treaded water in the midcard, with no stellar feuds or angles, but the fans seem to like him.

kanfdjk.jpg

BRUTUS BEEFCAKE

In this version of reality, the Beefer doesn’t get hit by a parasailer. Doesn’t allow him to become Intercontinental champion, but Hulk Hogan’s close friend is still a solid member of the roster, but there’s also that nagging fear he may be given a bigger push to appease The Hulkster. Still popular with the actual WWF fanbase, even if the more hardcore fans dislike him.

bhAGWa3.jpg

CORPORAL CARNAGE

The former John Rambo on the independents, Carnage came into the WWF as a direct replacement for Sgr. Slaughter after Slaughter’s issues backstage with McMahon, but Carnage has been a surprising success, quickly rising the ranks in the WWF, and becoming a solid midcard heel presence. Now feuding with Big Boss Man, it’s being seen as a test for Carnage to see if he might become a main event player in the company.

1fwpAm1.jpg

CHAINZ

Recently arriving to the World Wrestling Federation, Brian Adams is portraying a biker character, coming to the ring on a motorcycle, attacking people with chains, and being a strong, aggressive force in the company.

t6WPLdw.jpg

IRON EAGLE

A mysterious masked wrestler, Iron Eagle has recently arrived in the World Wrestling Federation, being an undercard babyface, capitalizing on the recent rise in patriotism among the populace, and adding in a bit of solid wrestling as well.

dq7hGv8.jpg

Sdgs2U3.jpgS2d9y0k.jpg

THE MENAGERIE

Perhaps the weirdest addition to this version of the World Wrestling Federation, The Menagerie is stable led by carnival barker Silas Pinkerton (Jim Fullington/Sandman), with his charges, Marauder (Mick Foley) and Leatherface. At the moment, just an undercard heel group, but with the right push, could do some interesting things in the company.

utFL9mT.jpgFvCLy9M.jpg

SWEET & SOUR (Shawn Michaels & Scott Hall) (w/ Billy Graham)

The tag team of Michaels & Hall has been an impressive heel duo, with Superstar Billy Graham as their manager, talking for the team, as they gain experience as cocksure, arrogant heels, feuding with The Nasty Boys over the WWF Tag Team Titles, even though they’re now having to take a backseat with Heenan’s Powers Of Pain, who recently took the titles.

XFxC3bx.jpg

THE UNDERTAKER (w/ Brother Love)

Not The Undertaker we know, but rather Tyler Mane showing up as the obsequious character. Debuted much the same way at Survivor Series 1990, but has Brother Love as his manager, and the character looks to have a tougher road to success, with the more limited Mane under the black hat, than Mark Calloway, who is currently teaming up with Terry Gordy in All Japan.

RECENT MAJOR EVENT

Survivor-Series-1990-696x521.png

SURVIVOR SERIES '90

Flash Attack (Flash King, The British Bulldog, The Killer Bee, and Conan) defeated Ritcher Scale (Earthquake, Chainz, One Man Gang, and King Kong Bundy)
- Chainz DDQ British Bulldog – (1:00)

- One Man Gang p. The Killer Bee – (2:50)

- Flash King p. One Man Gang – (5:01)

- Flash King p. King Kong Bundy – (8:02)

- Earthquake p. Conan – (10:02)

- Flash King CO Earthquake – (14:55)

The Hulk-A-Maniacs (Hulk Hogan, Jim Duggan, Iron Eagle, and Brutus Beefcake) defeated The Rude Brood (Rick Rude, Sour Scott Hall, Sweet Shawn Michaels, and The Genius)

- Sour Scott Hall p. Brutus Beefcake – (5:02)

- Jim Duggan p. Sweet Shawn Michaels – (8:15)

- The Genius CO Iron Eagle – (10:02)

- Hulk Hogan p. The Genius – (10:55)

- Hulk Hogan p. Sour Scott Hall – (12:02)

- Jim Duggan DQ Rick Rude – (15:09)

- Hulk Hogan p. Rick Rude – (18:31)

Macho’s Men (Randy Savage/Beverly Brothers/Agent Storm) defeated Arriba! (Tito Santana/Nasty Boys/Nikolai Volkoff)

- Jerry Sags p. Beau Beverly – (1:12)

- Jerry Sags p. Blake Beverly – (2:09)

- Agent Storm p. Nikolai Volkoff – (4:02)

- Agent Storm DCO Brian Knobbs – (5:15)

- Randy Savage p. Jerry Sags – (8:01)

- Randy Savage p. Tito Santana – (15:19)

Carnage Crew (Cpl. Carnage/Undertaker/Papa Shango/Marauder/Leatherface) defeated Lawgivers (Big Boss Man / Bret Hart / Jim Neidhart /Tatanka / Koko B. Ware)

- Undertaker p. Koko B. Ware – (3:30)

- Undertaker p. Jim Neidhart – (6:08)

- Undertaker DCO Tatanka – (8:01)

- Bret Hart p. Leatherface – (11:15)

- Big Boss Man p. Marauder – (13:01)

- Cpl. Carnage CO Bret Hart – (17:02)

- Big Boss Man DQ Papa Shango – (18:05)

- Cpl. Carnage p. Big Boss Man – (18:33)

Dark Match: Faces of Fear d. Shane Douglas & Jimmy Jack – (4:31)

Edited by jesseewiak

Sting in the WWF is one of my favorite things to experiment with. I can't wait to try this out. I remember a mod similar to this in 16 with WCW being open with Magnum TA as the champ I believe. These alternate mods are the best

The Superfly Effect, i loved that mod as well, too bad that i didn't make a diary about it nor have enough time to go as WWF playing as Kevin Von Erich as the booker.

The Superfly Effect, i loved that mod as well, too bad that i didn't make a diary about it nor have enough time to go as WWF playing as Kevin Von Erich as the booker.

Yup! Wow, what a very underrated mod. If i remember correctly Hulkamania never even begins because Snuka broke his neck or something similar. These alt mods have the best ideas to freshen up the gaming experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Surprise. This still isn't dead. Unfortunately, other things got in my way to really working on this, but some time has opened up for me to do some looking over, and updating. I'm doing some long term testing and such, but outside of that, for some additional flavor, here's more info on the companies in the database - starting w/ the NWA

EOMp0qx.jpg

As the territories collapsed, Jim Crockett Promotions took total control of the NWA, with other companies either leaving the NWA or creating other alliances. With stars such as Ric Flair, Lex Luger, 'Magnum' Terry Allen, and others, the promotion is still owned by Jim Crockett, as with the competition of Pro Wrestling America, JCP/NWA didn't overexpand, start buying large office buildings in Dallas, or private jets. In addition, Dusty Rhodes was forced out as booker at the end of 1987.

With no face-painted superhero from Venice Beach to take the reins of the #1 spot, Ric Flair was more willing to drop the title to Lex Luger, and Magnum TA's car accident was butterflied away, giving the NWA more well-built stars, but competition from the PWA has limited its ability to expand outside of the company’s southeast core.

As 1991 begins, the NWA must decide on where to expand, whether to go after the midwest portion of the country where the WWF & PWA are already fighting, trying to become the #2 promotion on the West Coast, or even risk incurring into the WWF's home base in the Northeast. One downside of the current company is a lack of young rising stars, as many stars that helped take the promotion to its heights are now past 30 or even 35. Will Luger & Magnum still be the lead dogs of the NWA, along with Flair, or will new stars rise?

NATIONAL WRESTLING ALLIANCE

MAJOR PLAYERS

p1EIPCR.jpg

RIC FLAIR

Ric Flair is the former leader of the Four Horsemen, a multi-time world champion, the flagship of the NWA, and ultimately, perhaps the greatest wrestler of all time. Now though, the question is, how long will Ric Flair remain a member of the NWA, as the end of his contract draws near, in only 3 months. Flair has been turned face after the rest of the Horsemen turned on him after he accepted a title shot from new Horsemen leader Lex Luger.

lcvWpoZ.jpg

LEX LUGER

This is the version of Lex Luger that is not a choker, but rather a two-time World Champion, including defeating Ric Flair at Starrcade '88. Luger's been both a heroic babyface and a conceited heel but engaged in a hostile takeover of The Horsemen. After losing the title to Flair at Starrcade '90, The Total Package along with the rest of the Horsemen want to take his title and spot at the top of the NWA back.

vC04lmh.jpg

'MAGNUM' TERRY ALLEN

Using his real name to move past the connection to the now off-the-air Magnum PI, the Terry Allen who never had his car wreck has become one of the top stars in the NWA, becoming a 3-time World Champion, including becoming known as 'King of the Bash' after winning the World Title twice during the Great American Bash tours. As the NWA heads into the 90s, the question is can Allen stay at the top of the NWA, and will he adjust his character to not get left behind in the neon 90s?

Rznlgo4.jpgvci6IEc.jpgXx5PGPw.jpg

ARN ANDERSON & TULLY BLANCHARD (w/ JJ Dillon)

Both men have been part of the Horsemen for years and shockingly sided with Lex Luger to take Flair out of the Horsemen. Anderson was also painted as Flair's best friend, while Tully was always more of a competitor to Flair, even winning the World Title in 1988 for a short 3-month reign, while Flair was out injured. Both men have been more successful in this version of reality, taking US, Tag Team, and Six-Man titles, and even winning The Crockett Cup. Can this version of the Horsemen continue to rule the NWA, or will they rue the day they turned on The Nature Boy?

GV1nAU3.jpgMTQspME.jpg

NIKITA KOLOFF (w/ Ivan Koloff)

'The Russian Nightmare' still turned face in this version of reality, but unfortunately, without the connection of Magnum's car crash, it was a bit of a dud, and Koloff was slowly pushed down to the midcard until he left for Pro Wrestling America in the spring of 1989. There, he got a strong push and was rebuilt, and after a little over a year run, Koloff returned to the NWA, along with his uncle Ivan in a managing/part-time wrestler role, and at Starrcade '90, was part of big heat angle where he beat down World Strongest Man competitor Bill Kazmaier, after he announced he was entering pro wrestling. Those matches aren't going to be pretty, but they'll be physically impressive on both sides of the ring!

OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE

vNfyrfn.jpg

BOB BACKLUND

Bob Backlund fell into obscurity after losing the WWF Title, as in our reality, but he returned to mainstream pro wrestling in the middle of 1989, as a surprise for the then-US Champion Nikita Koloff. Since then, Backlund has feuded for the US and TV title and quickly became a mid-card staple.

I2PiF0w.jpg

BIG STEEL

Related to Dusty Rhodes via marriage, Ottman was surprisingly brought in by the NWA after Dusty's attempt at running competition in Florida fell apart and is currently doing a family-friendly gimmick as Big Steel Man. Currently involved in an angle where he is acting as Manny Fernandez's backup against a bounty hunter.

FpEoM1d.jpg

BILL KAZMAIER

Multiple-time winner of the World's Strongest Man, Kazmaier has an incredible look and some presence, but in this version of reality, he looks to have some inherent talent to learn and become a reasonable pro wrestler, but it's a question of how much he'll learn from Nikita Koloff.

cOGtI26.jpg

BRAD ARMSTRONG

There is no real 'Armstrong Curse' in this NWA, as after the collapse of Mid-South, Armstrong chose to come to the NWA and has been well pushed as a member of the mid and upper mid card, even though he'll never be the most charismatic guy on the roster. Recently, he has been involved in a three-way feud over the US Title, where Robert Fuller stops Armstrong from winning the title, but also stops US Champion Kevin Sullivan from getting a clean victory over Armstrong.

sRaMbJI.jpg

JACQUES ROUGEAU

Not the flashiest wrestler around, Rougeau came to the NWA a couple of years ago after The Fabulous Rougeaus ran their course in WWF, as a straight ahead Canadian babyface. A talented worker, Rougeau has been part of the TV title scene during the latter part of 1990. Missed last month with injury, and will return in February, possibly w/ a rebrand.

90dciHG.jpg

NASH

Nash has recently arrived as the ultimate bounty hunter, willing to take anybody out for a price. Recently going after Manny Fernandez as his next bounty, but Big Steel Man has shown up to be Manny's backup. Will Nash find somebody to split the bounty, or will he got it alone?

iEcUzLj.jpg

ROBERT FULLER

The Tennessee Stud came into the NWA in early 1989, and quickly became a prominent part of the roster, having a near 45-minute match with World Champion Ric Flair on an episode of Saturday Night, winning the tag titles with his long-time partner Jimmy Golden, and battling over the United States and Television titles. As noted above, Fuller has been in a long-term feud with Brad Armstrong, as part of the never-ending Armstrong-Fuller battle that has been part of promotions all over the southeast for decades, along with trying to win back the US Title.

w2P4LNo.jpgW7RIYM7.jpg

SKYSCRAPERS

Since arriving near the end of 1989, the Skyscrapers have been dominant, never losing by pinfall, including easily running through The Crockett Cup, then taking the NWA World Tag Titles off The Rock 'n' Roll Express near the end of the year. The question as 1991 begins is simply, can anybody take down these two massive, dominant wrestlers?

zsvbIEY.jpgF2qwwiv.jpg

SHEEPHERDERS

No goofy marching, as The Sheepherders are still the violent New Zealand maniacs they've always been, fighting all over the world, including in Pro Wrestling America and the NWA.

KboHC8j.jpg

STAN LANE

In this version of reality, Stan Lane is not a member of The Midnight Express, but is still a talented wrestler, who can be quite the cocky heel and have great matches. Will he be more in the 90's, or will that be his limit?

kWFJTi7.jpg

WAHOO MCDANIEL

After several mediocre or straight-up bad bookers that were quickly ran through in the NWA after Dusty Rhodes was forced out, McDaniel was named booker a month out from Starrcade '89 and has done a good job straightening the ship of the NWA, along with being a nostalgic babyface who can be a bit of a draw for house shows in the core territory of the Mid-Atlantic area, without pushing himself too hard.

RECENT MAJOR EVENT

v2wEmS3.jpg

STARRCADE '90

Ric Flair p. Lex Luger © for the NWA World Championship - (22:45)

Magnum TA d. Arn Anderson - (17:31)

Skyscrapers © d. Steve Armstrong & Tracey Smothers to retain the NWA World Tag Team Titles - (07:01)

Robert Fuller d. Brad Armstrong in a Street Fight - (17:44)

Tully Blanchard d. Wahoo McDaniel - (10:03)

Rock 'n Rolls DCO Samoan Swat Team - (12:53)

Kevin Sullivan © d. Bob Backlund to retain the NWA United States Title - (09:31)

Sheepherders d. American Pitbulls - (09:31)

Z-Man © drew Michael Gekko in a match for the NWA World Television Title - (10:00)

Dark Match: Stan Lane d. Tim Horner - (09:55)

Edited by jesseewiak

• 1 month later...

What I'm going to attempt to do is little world-building for some of the characters in different places or situations than in our time line, along with just some fun writing - going to post the two I should've added for the WWF & NWA, then post the next company up (Pro Wrestling America). 

Hagerstown Herald-Mail

May 19th, 1990

HAGERSTOWN RESIDENT GOES FROM RAMBO TO CARNAGE IN WRESTLING

spacer.png

(John Kreczman Jr., as "John Rambo" before joining the World Wrestling Federation) 

The colorful world of pro wrestling has seen it’s share of characters that could be confused with characters from the silver screen or the news of the day, whether it was the cheerful Indian of Chief Jay Strongbow or the evil Iranian Iron Shiek who rose to prominence after the Iranian Revolution, or even the very early days of grappling, when the audience still thought it was real and supposed Nazi’s goose-stepped to the ring or shifty Japanese wrestlers threw salt in our heroes eyes.

For John Kreczman Jr., better known as Corporal Carnage to followers of the mat wars in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), it’s all part of the pageantry of the business, even though he understands why there’d be some that’d be upset at his portrayal of an out-of-control soldier.

“Of course, I have all the respect in the world for the military, but also, this is entertainment. It’d be one thing if I was talking about Vietnam or actual incidents in the real world, but I don’t feel we’ve crossed the land. After all, my name is Corporal Carnage in the ring. That’s not exactly a name that you’ll hear on the Joint Chiefs or whatever.”

Kreczman says he was originally offered a spot in the global juggernaut that is the WWF when he was only training, but felt he needed to get some experience wrestling as John Rambo, so he wrestled in small independent outfits until the beginning of this year, when he made his debut as the wild-eyed disgraced corporal. There are some wrestlers that feel the cartoon-ish over-the-top style of the WWF hurts the wrestling business, but Kreczman disagrees, saying, “we’re offering an entertaining, family friendly product that anybody from 7 to 70 can enjoy, that pushes forth positive ideals for kids that are watching, while not boring them to death. I tell ya’, a 7-year-old is far more likely to listen to Hulk Hogan telling them to eat their vitamins than their mom or teacher. After all, would you rather have your kid be watching me screaming and saying some silly things or some of the actual violent crap they show on TV? Say what you want about wrestling, but nobodies getting shot up with bullets or exposing themselves.”

As for other companies, Kreczman shrugs off any concerns, saying, “honestly, when I was growing up, I was watching Gorilla Monsoon and Bruno Sammartino on television, but I figured out it was entertainment quickly. If anything, that made me more interested, and once I began training, I learned how tough it was to entertain the fans. After all, how many 30-second boxing PPV’s have you bought, and been disappointed?”

Since arriving in the WWF, Carnage’s character has went after popular stars such as The Big Boss Man, The British Bulldog, and Koko B. Ware, but like any other wrestler, the goal is the WWF Championship in the view of the man behind the painted face, “that should be any wrestler’s goal in the business, even though just having a main event feud with somebody like Hulk Hogan or Randy Savage would be a massive honor and show the faith the company has in me.”

Kreczman is happy to stay in the WWF for as long as they’ll have him, but he already has a future for when his time fighting in the squared circle are done, “I want to give back to this business, and train young folks who want to get into this business and create a lasting legacy. After I beat Hulk Hogan of course,” he adds with a grin.

• Like 1

Matwatch Special

November 25th, 1990

spacer.png

(Dusty Rhodes during his WWF run this past year)

As 1990 ends, the most surprising thing is that there seems to be nowhere for one of the biggest stars of the past decade – ‘The American Dream’ Dusty Rhodes. Everybody knows the story of Rhodes, from taking over as the head booker of Jim Crockett Promotions as it transformed itself into the leading light of the National Wrestling Alliance, before taking control of all the titles, even though some could argue things like the Kiel Double Cross, the formation of the USWA, and other things made it a fait accompoli.

Putting that aside, it appears that the man whom you could argue was the second most powerful man in professional wrestling behind Vince McMahon himself, has managed to lock himself out of every major promotion. In the NWA, the battle lines between Dusty and Flair were drawn in 1987, and it appears if The Nature Boy is still the standard-bearer, there’s no chance he’ll allow Rhodes a chance to wiggle his way back into any sort of power, and with Wahoo McDaniel’s somewhat surprising success as booker, the chance a desperate Jim Crockett Jr. will overrule him appears to have disappeared.

That’d be one thing, but Dusty’s attempts at restarting his Florida promotion, taking the booking job in PWA, or becoming a trusted lieutenant of Vince in Stamford all failed, for one reason or another. The Florida promotion was a desperate idea from the start and appeared mainly to be largely a way to get his young son, Dustin, a chance to be booked strongly and learn how to be a star, even if it was in front of sparse crowds, largely there either for cheap beer or nostalgia for his father.

After going to St. Louis, Rhodes looked to be being booked warmly, including a hot feud with The Road Warriors alongside his son, but all reports were that Big Dust appeared to try to backdoor his way into the booking job by trying to impress PWA’s big-dollar, but silent investors, but Barry Windham (who had his own tangle w/ Rhodes in ’87 a few months before his departure) and Jim Ross caught wind of it, and drew the same line in the sand that Flair did, and despite the respect and star power Rhodes has, he was quietly written off, and his son followed a month or two later.

Undeterred, Rhodes did a few big spot shows in Japan, as he did in 1987, but at the 1990 Royal Rumble, did what absolutely nobody would have said was possible only a few short years earlier – work for Vince McMahon. McMahon, of course, took glee in having Dusty on his roster, painting him as the Common Man, with several vignettes with him as a plumber, pizza man, and other working-class professions before debuting, but Rhodes performed well, and Dusty was surprisingly well-received by the WWF fanbase, most of whom had likely never seen Rhodes in his bloody wars with Flair or Tully Magnum on Crockett television.

This honeymoon ended as well, as a Randy Savage – Dusty Rhodes feud through the summer didn’t do well on house shows, and reportedly, Dusty was unhappy with taking the completely clean loss on an episode of Saturday Night’s Main Event in early October. As a result, Rhodes was written out of Survivor Series (replaced by Tito Santana of all people), and was largely off television, but did a series of jobs for Rick Rude through the rest of the month.

Since then, there’s been the usual rumors – Dusty will be back in Crockett, Verne Gagne wants him to take over for Slaughter, he’ll re-open Florida again, he’ll take a big-money temporary gig in Japan, but none of it has panned out. Rhodes is still a fairly major star but has made himself quite toxic in all the locker rooms and board rooms of the Big 3, and perhaps most importantly, made other top stars wary of him even in smaller companies, that may take the risk of an older veteran draw like Rhodes.

The reality is, in professional wrestling, nobody stays away forever, but whatever his future, it will require The American Dream to realize his time at the top of this business is over, both in front of and behind the curtain. If he can do that, he can still be a positive presence on a roster, as a creative, and even as a occasional nostalgia draw, especially in the Southeast. If PWA ever wants to take a real chance at becoming #2 in places like Georgia or North Carolina, a strong storyline involving Rhodes, along with a generally hot product could help, or even if the fledgling USWA wants to take a chance at stepping up, a big-time Hennig vs. Rhodes or Lawler vs. Rhodes could bring in enough outside interest, to make them viable long-term.

Regardless, I’m not dumb enough to say Stardust is completely down for the count, but this is his toughest ride so far.

• Like 1

spacer.png

PRO WRESTLING AMERICA

An outgrowth of the former St. Louis territory, Larry Matisyk managed to talk Sam Mushnick into not selling out to Vince McMahon and instead  fight to keep the territory strong and stop a total takeover of professional wrestling by Vince Junior.

Thanks to strong booking, smart use of talent from other territories, and several missteps by other promoters, St. Louis managed to extend itself to be national promotion, now without the NWA affaliation, but rather as Pro Wrestling America, with a weekly show on ESPN. Even though Matsyik is set-up to the public as the 'face' of the ownership, in reality, to pay for various upgrades and to keep up with the NWA and WWF, an ownership group backed by various Midwestern regional companies have stakes in PWA, but Matsiyk remains the CEO.

With strong connections to bring in international talent, a very talented roster, the only thing holding back the PWA may be it's reliance on a sports-style presentation compared to the glitz 'n' glamour of the WWF, even though new booker Jake Roberts bringing in some more creative storytelling into the promotion.

MAJOR PLAYERS

spacer.png

JAKE ROBERTS

The wrestler on perhaps the hottest streak in professional wrestling at the moment, Roberts since getting over his demons has been the best heel in the business, engaging in a violent, diabolical feud with Roddy Piper that finally gave him the PWA World Championship at a TV special just a few days before the end of the year. The Snake's initial run in the WWF flamed out due to his issues, and that flame out along with he's described as a vision led him to get clean (for now), and go to the PWA where after proving himself, he became an important part of the roster, and finally became head booker in 1990, after a committe led by Jim Cornette, Eddie Gilbert, and Les Thornton were replaced.

spacer.png

RODDY PIPER

After 'retiring' at WrestleMania III, Piper shocked the wrestling world when after nearly two years of being in Hollywood, he returned in a PWA ring. He then main evented Battle at the Busch, winning the PWA World Title from Ted DiBiase, and has been the top babyface in the promotion since then. Piper's getting older, but is still incredibly charismatic, but is also still interested in movies and TV, so can't be counted on 100% of the time, but when he's there, he's incredibly popular. Now, after being screwed out of the title by The Snake, the hunted now may be the hunter.

spacer.png

TED DIBIASE

DiBiase may not be a Million Dollar Man (even if he is well-paid), but since coming over to the PWA from the Mid-South territory in 1986, DiBiase has played the perfect manipulating schemer, feuding with all of the top faces in the company, including being Piper's first feud in PWA when he arrived in 1989. Still incredibly hated, has become the #2 heel since Robert's ascension, and is currently fighting with Barry Windham, as their feud has been reigned.

spacer.pngspacer.png

THE ROAD WARRIORS

Still the most well-known tag team on the planet, The Road Warrior's became full-time with the PWA in early 1987 and have been part of the tag title scene almost always since then, despite more than a few face and heel turns. After losing the tag titles at Devil's Night, they did a tour with AJPW in a special deal with the promotion, and will not be back until February of ’91.

spacer.png

BARRY WINDHAM

'The Lone Wolf' of professional wrestling was rising up the ranks in the NWA, but a conflict over the head booking position with Dusty Rhodes led him to leave the promotion in the middle of 1987, ironically only a few months before Dusty was pushed out. Since then, Windham has been both a top face and a top heel in the promotion, playing the lone wolf character who likes to fight alone. Currently renewing his battles with DiBiase.

spacer.png

TERRY FUNK

Funk may be middle-aged and crazy, but he's still quite talented as wrestler, even as he nears fifty years of age. Since the mid-80's, has largely competed only for the PWA and All Japan, including a short PWA Title reign in 1987, in part to give prestige to the belt, but also to put over the man who defeated him for it. After being in Japan since Devil’s Night, returned at the Christmas TV special to interrupt Harley Race's special announcement, and from there, a feud between former World Champion's was on!

spacer.png

ADRIAN ADONIS

Another man with a more positive career than in real life, as Adonis has kept his weight in-check, and once the PWA left the NWA as part of the Kiel Double Cross, he was the shocking choice to be the first PWA World Champion, as a cocky, hated heel for the babyfaces to chase. After losing the title in May of '88, Adonis has continued to be a quality heel, feuding with wrestlers in the main event and upper midcard. Now currently teaming up with Bob Orton Jr. to face off against The Steiner Brothers, after they wre put up against each other in a 'wild card' 8-man tag match on Christmas.

spacer.png

GREG VALENTINE

Valentine has thrived in the wrestling business for close to twenty years, and while he's lost some of the marketable looks he's had, but has also parlayed being in the background of the Piper - Roberts - DiBiase three-pronged feud throughout 1990 into a short World title run this past summer, but now is largely playing the 'gatekeeper' role for the main event.

OTHERS OF NOTE

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

HOT STUFF INTERNATIONAL (Eddie Gilbert & Terry Taylor w/ Missy Hyatt)

One of the hotter acts in the PWA at the moment, HSI was former in the latter part of 1989 after Gilbert's babyface pushed stalled, Taylor came into the company from the smaller territories, and Missy Hyatt showed herself to be an able manager. Now feuding with the tag champs, if they don't flame out, HSI could be an important part of the company for years to come.

spacer.png

JIM POWERS

After a dissapointing run in the World Wrestling Federation, Powers has got a newly renewed push in the undercard since coming to the PWA near the beginning of 1989, as it's thought he has a good TV-friendly look that other top guys on the roster don't quite have. Unsure how long it'll last, with Power's talents, but for now, he's more than the JTTS he ended up being in our timeline.

spacer.png

JUNKYARD DOG

Nearing the end of his days as a contributor to a major roster, JYD has bounced from territory to territory and company to company since leaving the WWF in late '85, but was recently brought on to the PWA in the end of '89, largely to be used as a nostalgia pop on smaller house shows in the Mid-South, and be an occasional tag and six-man partner for other babyfaces. In addition, largely rumored to he was brought in as a favor to Bill Watts and Jim Ross, who still hold backstage power within the company. JYD is never going to have a five star match, but he can be a strong part of the undercard if used correctly.

spacer.png

RON SIMMONS

Very successful since showing up in the PWA as a personal project of Jim Ross and Bill Watts, Simmons has had a very successful last year or so, becoming a strong part of the mid and upper midcard, winning the North American title three time, and before possibly being moved into the main event, especially after a huge win over Adrian Adonis at Devil’s Night, is now in a feud with Butch Reed, who has returned to mainstream professional wrestling after a few years out of the spotlight to feud with Simmons.

spacer.png

THAGNAR

One of the more creative characters brought into the company by Roberts, former AWA wrestler John Nord plays a wild and crazy Viking, on the undercard. Unclear how successful it will be, but Nord isn't a terrible wrestler and plays the character well.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Dennis Condrey didn't disappear into the mist, so along with Cornette & Eaton, this version of the Midnight Express is still having great matches, now in the PWA since 1988 with a tag title reign to their name, but are now currently feuding with Los Guerreros, with Jim Cornette cutting some very Jim Cornette promos on the Guerreros.

THE NEW & IMPROVED DIAMOND EXCHANGE (Pretty Paul Roma & Marvelous Marty Jannetty) w/ DDP

The team of Roma & Jannetty made their debut in PWA during the summer, attacking Badd Company (Diamond & Tanaka) after they lost a #1 contender, including DDP turning on Badd Company as well. Jannetty had been in a variety of tag teams and lower midcard matches since arriving in PWA in 1988, while Roma left the WWF after WrestleMania.

spacer.png

SCOTT LEVY

Formerly known for his gimmick surrounding his 'cool' personality, including Scotty Flamingo and Scotty the Body, Levy arrived as the color commentary partner of Jim Ross near the end of 1989, and even though he can still work, has been used as just that with his size being seen as possibly a downside. Still has the quite the creative mind though, and might eventually get back in the ring.

STRICTLY BUSINESS (Al Snow & Dean Malenko w/ Sir Oliver Humpherdink)

Thrown together on a whim near the end of last year, the tag team called Strictly Business based on both men's in-ring styles slowly rose up the rankings, especially after Roberts took over the book. In the spring, added the colorful Humpherdink as their manager as a contrast to their in-ring syle, becoming more popular, ending with them taking the tag title belts off The Road Warriors at Devil's Night 1990.

MAJOR EVENTS OF THE PWA CALENDAR

spacer.png

PWA BATTLE AT THE BUSCH

The premier event of the PWA calendar, takes place in the middle of May at the historic Busch Stadium in the PWA's hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. Main evented by matches such as Windham-Adonis, DiBiase-Piper, and Piper-Roberts since 1983, it's the 'season finale' for Pro Wrestling America.

spacer.png

PWA RED, WHITE, AND BRUISED

A big summer spectacular, with lots of big main events, along with some more gimmick matches than at other big shows.

spacer.png

PWA DEVIL'S NIGHT

The second biggest show of the year for the PWA, and a show that PWA tries to have take place in areas outside of its core in the Midwest, and also tends to set the tone for the next few months. 

LAST MAJOR SHOW

Devil’s Night 1990

Roddy Piper d. Greg Valentine © for the PWA Heavyweight Championship - (19:01)

Jake Roberts d. Terry Funk – (15:23)

Strictly Business d. Road Warriors © for the PWA Tag Team Titles - (9:01)

Barry Windham DDQ Ted DiBiase – (17:33)

Midnight Express & Art Barr d. Los Guerreros – (14:07)

Harley Race © d. Billy Jack Haynes to retain the PWA North American Championship – (8:36)

Steiner Brothers d. New & Improved Diamond Exchange – (13:33)

Ron Simmons d. Adrian Adonis – (11:09)

Edited by jesseewiak

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

The Ambition Of A Snake

The nightmares never stopped.

The need never stops.

The memory never leaves me.  

But I push it down because I must.

Because once you’ve survived death twice before, a third chance becomes highly unlikely.

I didn’t find God. I didn’t find Jesus. Hell, I didn’t find Allah or Buddha.

I found my own future, looking me in the eye, looking at a future where I was a joke, forgotten, or worse, pitied by the boys or the fans, and I realized I could never let that happen.

I left the business for six months.

Some assumed I was gone forever.

I needed to go through everything – what Dad was, my sister, my brother, the drugs, the women, the drink, and the darkness that it caused.

The darkness I could use, for my own good. If nothing else.

My father was a monster, but he’s still my father. I can only give sympathy to my family members and anybody else, but I can’t deny my blood.

Those who will judge me on that, so be it.

It was a slow desperate climb. 

The offer from New York was still there, but it was a poisoned chalice, so I had to let it go.

I walked into the devil’s den that was Dallas, and survived, despite every possible vice being put in front of me.

I couldn’t deny it all, so I chose the one that couldn’t kill me directly – women.

Every town, every city, there wasn’t much discrimination. But, it kept me busy – in the bed of a hotel room instead of the bar.

There have been lapses, but nothing long-term. I don’t deny it may return.

Watts, Ross, and Matysiak took a risk, but it was almost a return home.

The schedule while tough wasn’t anything close to the fucking insanity of Titan.

Bit by bit, earning my keep. Pushing through the pitfalls. Looking overproduction because it was an alternative to going out with the boys and falling into the abyss.

No easy roads – it’s cutthroat at the top. Windham, Piper, Race, Cornette, and even Funk when he shows up wants a shot at the book, but Larry and Watts pull me in before the Busch shows and tell me, I take over afterward.

There will be no second chances – so I double down. On the one hand, I’m nearly a monk. A monk who knows every strip club in every major city in the Midwest and Great Plains like it was his second home.

The abyss winks at me, but I’m digging deep to not look back.

Will I? Well – I’ve got ambitions.

Trust me.

Edited by jesseewiak

spacer.png

UNITED STATES WRESTLING ASSOCIATION
In the aftermath of the Kiel Double Cross, Pro Wrestling America & World Class initially worked together, but when it became obvious to Fritz Von Erich that the PWA brain-trust would not allow the Von Erich boys to dominate the top of the card, while also allowing them to spend much of their time in Texas, that alliance fell apart, and by the end of 1987, Verne Gagne, Jerry Jarrett, and Fritz Von Erich all made a deal to form an alliance to share wrestlers, ally together for their larger shows, and at least give the appearance that their territories belonged to a powerful organization on the same level as The Big 3. It's been fairly successful, as along with strokes of good booking, all three companies are holding on, but not all is well. 

spacer.png
AWA WORLD CHAMPION
CURT HENNIG
A fixture in the AWA for nearly a decade, Hennig has been described by many as the most natural professional wrestler of his generation. Blessed with fluid athleticism, he combines it with smooth technical ability and his brilliant in-ring selling. Charismatic to boot, Hennig has all the makings of a star. He has been very loyal to the AWA, turning down several big money offers from the WWF, as he's been pushed as the #1 star in the AWA for the last several years, getting in various feuds with wrestlers such as Sgt. Slaughter, Rick Martel, and even foreign stars when they come through such as Jumbo Tsuruta.

spacer.pngspacer.png
UNIFIED TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS
TOTAL DEVASTATION
Barry Darsow was successful in the mid-80s as a member of the Russians but was let go near the beginning of 1987, after the booking shift in the NWA. After a year of short stints in various independents, Darsow came into the AWA with his friend Randy Colley, the former Moondog Rex who’d largely languished since the mid-80s, and the new rough ‘n’ tumble brawling team quickly rose to the top of the AWA and recently won the Unified Tag belts off of Iceman King Parsons & Jimmy Garvin

WCCW WORLD SIX-MAN CHAMPIONS
KERRY VON ERICH & THE SIMPSON BROTHERS 
Largely a sop to the Von Erichs, as Kerry’s issue mean he’ll never get the support of either the Jarrett/Lawler team or Gagne for a long-term reign, but Kerry is still a decent draw, so teaming up with The Simpsons, whose father is all but confirmed to have a piece of the World Class territory is a good way to bring him to various Memphis or AWA shows, without depending on him to be part of the main event picture in the long-term.

OTHER WRESTLERS INVOLVED IN MULTIPLE TERRITORIES

spacer.png
JERRY LAWLER
The famous "King of Memphis" Jerry Lawler is easily one of the most well-known names in the business since his rise to stardom in Memphis in the late '70s His rise to national fame came on the back of a feud with comedian Andy Kaufmann, including a now infamous spat on David Letterman. Not a flashy performer by any stretch, Lawler has a talent for brawling and for storytelling in the ring. A former AWA World Champion, Lawler’s keeping Memphis afloat, almost on his own, and could be a national draw in the right situation.

spacer.png
KEVIN VON ERICH
The older Von Erich brother has somewhat slowed down, due to injuries and his own demons, even if they’re nothing close to his brothers. Still a tough brawler and decently charismatic, but doesn’t quite appeal to the teenyboppers of the 90s as opposed to the lovelorn girls of the mid-80s. Still a strong part of the World Class roster, and is enough of a name to bring in some fans in both the Great Lakes and Memphis.

spacer.png
THE IRON SHEIK
After losing the WWF title to Hogan, ‘Sheiky Baby’ hung around for a few more years, including a tag title reign, then had a variety of short stops in the territories, before returning to Stamford for a nostalgia run in ’88 that ended with his 35-second loss to Flash King at Summerslam. Leaving almost immediately afterward, Sheik ended up in World Class and then the AWA, playing his typical evil foreign heel character. Relatively over, but a bit of a pain backstage.

spacer.png
MATT BORNE
Well-known for his troublemaking ways in the back and a variety of problems, Borne largely stayed in his native Pacific Northwest until that territory fell apart. Still has his issues, but also charismatic, a good brawler, and when on his game, a decent ideas man. Currently plays a relatively upper-midcard heel in the AWA and showed up as Akbar’s bounty hunter in World Class. Remains to be seen how long he’ll stay in either company.

spacer.pngspacer.png
THE FANTASTICS
Could be considered one of the best in-ring teams in the business throughout the ’80s, but outside of a short run in the NWA, they never got a shot in the Big Three. However, they've been successful in the AWA, Memphis, and World Class, while having a semi-regular gig in Japan for Giant Baba. Slightly past their prime now but can still be a very solid part of a company's roster. 

THE MOONDOGS (w/ RANDY HALES) 
Rough and ready, the Moondogs are well-known in Memphis with a variety of different Moondogs, but the current ‘litter’ showed up in Memphis during 1990 and then were brought into World Class as two of the ‘invaders’ alongside Jeff Gaylord & Randy Hales. Not great in the ring, but can have a hell of a brawl, and play their role well. Hales has played a variety of roles in Memphis from referee to short-term commentator to temporary matchmaker but has evolved into a slimy invading heel manager, alongside Jeff Gaylord & The Moondogs in World Class, where he’s been playing things to the hilt.

NEXT UP: FOCUS ON ALL THREE TERRITORIES OF THE USWA

• Like 1

spacer.png
AMERICAN WRESTLING ASSOCIATION

Originally created as an outgrowth of the successful Chicago national TV promotion based around Verne Gagne, the territory while separate from the NWA, kept friendly relations with the organization, as its existence was a good anti-antitrust argument, and much of the AWA territory was seen as not worth expanding into by the NWA. After a successful 60's and 70's, Vince's talent raids of the mid-80s left the cupboard bear, and it looked like the company would falter. However, two strokes of good luck in the form of Sgt. Slaughter coming into the company to become the booker after a falling out with Hogan and Cut Hennig deciding to stay w/ the AWA allowed the company to survive. Working with Memphis and World Class to form the USWA has also been successful, as one could argue the AWA World Title is the last territory-based title in the business, with the WWF being the WWF, Crockett taking control fully of the NWA World title, and the PWA always being a promotion based belt. While the AWA is more stable than OTL and has a decent top of the card, there's a dearth of young and mid-card babyfaces to replace men like Slaughter, Snuka, and the Fantastics, while there's always the worry of Hennig moving on to St. Louis, Stamford, or Charlotte. 

MAJOR PLAYERS

spacer.png
CURT HENNIG
A natural athlete, Hennig has been described by many as the most natural professional wrestler of his generation. Blessed with fluid athleticism, he combines it with smooth technical ability and brilliant in-ring selling. Charismatic to boot, Hennig has all the makings of a star. He has been very loyal to the AWA, turning down several big money offers from the WWF, as he's been pushed as the #1 star in the AWA for the last several years, getting in various feuds with wrestlers such as Sgt. Slaughter, Rick Martel, and even foreign stars when they come through such as Jumbo Tsuruta.

spacer.png
JIMMY SNUKA
The man from the islands of Fiji is one of the most recognizable names of the last decade plus. A showman of the highest order, Snuka shot to fame in the World Wrestling Federation where we wowed crowds with his flashy ring style and unique charisma. A bit unstable and unreliable, Snuka's star has faded over the past decade, stumbling from promotion to promotion. Is currently in a feud with Matt Borne in a battle that has been pitched as a battle of off-kilter personalities.

spacer.png
LARRY ZYBYSKO
The "Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko is one of the great technical heels of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Became a star after turning on his mentor, Bruno Sammartino in New York, launching a feud that became so heated that Zbyszko was forced to leave the area to save his life. Found long-term success in the AWA, thanks to both his talents and connections with the Gagne family. A talented mat worker with strong charisma.

spacer.png
MATT BORNE 
A long-time veteran from the Pacific Northwest, Borne is slightly crazy both in and out of the ring, and has some salacious issues as well, but is a good worker, charismatic in his way, and quite creative. Currently one of the top heels in the territory, feuding with Jimmy Snuka. 

spacer.png
RICK MARTEL
Martel is a charismatic good-looking wrestler, who after short stints in the WWF and various territories, has spent most of the height of his career in the AWA, where he’d been both a strong face and a dirty heel, feuding with men such as Jumbo Tsurtura, Sgt. Slaughter, Stan Hansen, Jerry Lawler, and most recently, current AWA World Champion Curt Hennig. Could still have a run in the big 3, but time is ticking on that idea.

spacer.png
SGT. SLAUGHTER
A huge star in the early and mid-80s, and a possible number two to Hulk Hogan, he left the WWF due to arguments with Vince McMahon over outside pay. Slaughter then had short stints in the AWA, NWA, and All Japan, he became full-time with the AWA in late 1987 and took over as head booker at the beginning of 1989. Older, but still a big bumper and charismatic.

spacer.png
THE IRON SHEIK
After losing the WWF title to Hogan, ‘Sheiky Baby’ hung around for a few more years, including a tag title reign, then had a variety of short stops in the territories, before returning to Stamford for a nostalgia run in ’88 that ended with his 35-second loss to Flash King at Summerslam. Leaving almost immediately afterward, Sheik ended up in World Class and then the AWA, playing his typical evil foreign heel character. Relatively over, but a bit of a pain backstage.

OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE

spacer.png
DON MURACO
A top-tier star in the early ’80s, a combination of laziness and weight gain pushed him out of the main event picture, but Muraco’s still an entertaining presence, and in a wrestling world where most of the draws are either in New York, St. Louis, or Charlotte, Muraco is still a ‘name’ the AWA can use, even though he’s never going to be on the top of the card again. Has been teaming with Ken Patera semi-regularly, recently.

spacer.pngspacer.png
FANTASTICS
Could be considered one of the best in-ring teams in the business throughout the ’80s, outside of a short run in the NWA, they never got a shot in the Big Three, but have been very successful in the AWA, Memphis, and World Class, while having a semi-regular gig in Japan for Giant Baba. Slightly past their prime now but can still be a very solid part of a company's roster.

spacer.pngspacer.png
ERADICATORS (w/ ANDAN AL-KASSIE)
Perry Saturn and John Kronus are two young workers from the Northeast, who were working in the nascent independent companies, but were brought into the AWA in 1990 as a new tag team for long-term manager Andan Al-Kassie. Playing silent wild men, they’re still being built-up but could be stars in the future.

spacer.png
KEN PATERA
Another star of the late 70s and early ’80s, who fell due to a combination of physical deterioration and criminal issues, Patera came back to the AWA in 1988 and has been drifting between the mid and upper midcard, for most of the past couple of years. Has been teaming with Muraco semi-regularly, recently. 

spacer.pngspacer.png
TOTAL DESTRUCTION
Barry Darsow was successful in the mid-80s as a member of the Russian’s but was let go near the beginning of 1987, after the booking shift in the NWA. After a year of short stints in various independents, Darsow came into the AWA with his friend Randy Colley, the former Moondog Rex who’d largely languished since the mid-80s, the new rough ‘n’ tumble brawling team quickly rose to the top of the AWA and recently won the Unified Tag belts from Iceman King Parsons & Jimmy Garvin.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
WIGAN PIT CLUB
Arriving at the start of 1990, the Wigan Pit Club are three wrestlers (Jacob Blackpool (Steven Regal), Johnny Kidd, and David Taylor) under the tutelage of long-time AWA veteran Billy Robinson, they’ve quickly risen up the ranks, with Blackpool & Taylor winning the AWA American Tag Titles and Johnny Kidd winning the Light Heavyweight championship.

EVENTS OF NOTE

spacer.png
WRESTLEROCK
September

The first big event after the doldrums of the summer, Wrestlerock takes place throughout the AWA territory and has defenses of all the big titles in the company. Has seen AWA World title changes in the last two years.

spacer.png
SUPERCLASH
December

The biggest event of the year for the AWA usually, and takes place in the Midwest, whether it’s Chicago, Minneapolis, or Milwaukee. Where big matches such as Hennig-Lawler, Lawler-Martel, and Kerry-Lawler have taken place.

LAST MAJOR SHOW
SUPERCLASH V RESULTS
Chicago, Illinois

Curt Hennig (c) d. The Iron Sheik in a Persian Club match to retain the AWA World Heavyweight title – (12:03)
Rick Martel d. Sgt. Slaughter – (17:46)
Total Destruction © d. The Simpson’s to retain the Unified Tag Team Titles – (11:19)
Ken Patera d. Jimmy Snuka in the finals of the tournament for the AWA America’s Title after interference from Matt Borne – (14:34)
The Wigan Pit Club (Blackpool/Taylor/Kidd) d. Black Magic & The Top Guns – (12:51)
The Fantastics d. Matt Borne & Larry Zybysko – (16:13)
Don Muraco d. Brad Rhenigans – (8:29)
The Eradicators d. Charlie Norris & Jay Strongbow Jr. – (5:49)

• Like 1