[Hype] 2001 WCW - Here Comes The Money

If i achieve to buy ECW as WCW, i'll do the brand expansion. But most importantly... i'll see if i can put Bobby Heenan as the ECW colour commentator. The arguments between Styles and Heenan could be fun.

Heenan commentating ECW would be so damn funny. Especially if the Dudleys returned as faces. "You mean to tell me, these men are brothers?"

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53281" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Heenan commentating ECW would be so damn funny. Especially if the Dudleys returned as faces. "You mean to tell me, these men are brothers?"</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I popped! I read that with Bobby's voice in my head, would be so hilarious.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update:

America is done!

Which is to say, its playable. It will never be done since its literally impossible. However its at the point that it could be released. (I wont be releasing a partial data. I MAY release a beta once I do USA/Canada/NJPW/AJPW/NOAH). Sim tests seem to be going well. Only issue I keep running into is OVW/HWA/MCW all end up going bankrupt and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

So promotions are complete, meaning their workers, titles, tag teams, events, ect, ect, ect. All American-based free agents are done. There's Americans employed in Japan who arnt though for example. Broadcasters are playable. There's plenty to potentially add, but I dont see the need to add the Discovery Channel since it simply will never show wrestling. I've added the "big" networks and then the smaller networks that have shown wrestling and a few that were rumored to be in the WCW mix.

I did add a good handful of "to open" promotions in the USA. CHIKARA, Major League Wrestling, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Pro Wrestling IRON, Pro Wrestling WORLD-1, Pro-Pain Pro Wrestling, & Ring of Honor. For now. I only want to add promotions whose owners are somewhat notable or already exist in the data. There are no "to debut" workers in the data. I may eventually add some, but for now the focus is on completing the current active workers.

I've done several multi-year watcher-sims and it actually seems to play out okay. WWF dominates, but besides the aforementioned OVW/HWA going out of business, there's nothing to stupid. I dont mind HWA falling on hard times since it gives the player the chance to buy them (since the data is meant to be played as WCW). But I need to figure out how to keep OVW alive.

Next step will be the relatively quick Canadian area. Only BCW & ECCW for now. I wont be adding any new promotions yet but its still a possibility.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James The Animator" data-cite="James The Animator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53281" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>OVW could periodically get money through narratives, with the in-game excuse that the WWF is funding the operation. Same for HWA & WCW.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> From Cornette I got the impression WWF wanted all the benefits of a dev fed without actually funding one, they would get their own deals and promotions and WWF would just demand they use their contracted talent over their local talent, the only things they gave OVW was talent, equipment and headaches.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James The Animator" data-cite="James The Animator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53281" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>OVW could periodically get money through narratives, with the in-game excuse that the WWF is funding the operation. Same for HWA & WCW.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheWho87" data-cite="TheWho87" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53281" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>From Cornette I got the impression WWF wanted all the benefits of a dev fed without actually funding one, they would get their own deals and promotions and WWF would just demand they use their contracted talent over their local talent, the only things they gave OVW was talent, equipment and headaches.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Good idea with the narratives! I dont really want to use them but that sounds like a good compromise. </p><p> </p><p> It seems part of the issue is the smaller companies that have TV deals are not doing well (OVW, HWA, MCW, UPW, NWA Wildside) at all and the only ones that survive are the ones that lose them. Not sure what I'm missing. I dont mind MCW going down since it fits the bill, but losing OVW & HWA is an annoyance. Wildside & UPW tend to lose their deals in a few months before anything terrible happens.</p>

Would you possibly send me a list of workers you plan on having in the mod? Just i am not a fan of the NGO style pictures so was thinking of doing a different style that i could possibly release as a different option, That is with your approval of course

Canada

Canada is what it is. Canada as a region in the real world has never really gotten its feet under it after the territory days died. Every now and then a promotion pops up and seems like it might be notable, but they tend to fizzle out. The 90's into the 00's was much the same. While some very great talent comes from Canada, most get their starts working small local companies where only 1 or 2 guys are worth salt. That said, I've so far included BCW & ECCW. I'd like to include a Quebec based company, maybe IWS. I have no interest in adding Lutte as its some real carny stuff with Jacques Rougeau.

Extreme Canadian Championship Wrestling (British Columbia)

JxaKUGb.jpeg

ECCW is a secret little gem in wrestling. In 2001, they featured some of the top talents on the internet and some guys who never really left BC, but were damn good. With the NWA needing a new "big" promotion maybe ECCW can fit the bill.

Male Wrestlers

Aaron Idol

Abbadon

Adam Firestorm

Black Dragon

Chance Beckett NWA Canadian Junior Heavyweight Champion

Christopher Daniels

Disco Fury

Dr. Luther ECCW Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Champion

Juggernaut ECCW Hardcore Champion

Ladies Choice Color Commentator

Major Hardway as Private Todd Kelly

Michelle Starr

Moondog Manson Injured

Nova

RAGE as Grunt

Ray Brooks

Scotty Mac NWA Pacific Northwest Junior Heavyweight Champion

Tony Kozina

Tag Teams

Backwoods Militia (Grunt & Private Todd Kelly) ECCW Tag Team Champions

Greatness On Demand (Disco Fury & Michelle Star)

Non-Wrestlers

Dave Repubic Announcer & Personality

Martin Dugas Referee

ECCW Notables

ECCW is owend by Dave Republic and booked by Michelle Star

ECCW runs a touring schedule

ECCW is a member of the National Wrestling Alliance

Border City Wrestling (Ontario)

LlS0Bn9.jpeg

BCW is a small promotion in Ontario with one big upside. His name is Scott D'Amore. A great mind for the business, and "one of the boys", D'Amore's friendships in the business means BCW has a surprisingly star studded roster.

Male Wrestlers

Bobby Clancy

Chris Sabin

Dyson Pryce

El Tornado

Geza Kalman Jr.

Glenn Gilbertti

Gutter

John E. Bravo

Johnny Swinger

Larry Destiny

Mike Legacy

Mikey Whipwreck BCW Can-Am Heavyweight Champion

Nova

Otis Apollo

Ruffy Silverstein

Sabu

Scott D'Amore Road Agent

Steve Lombardi as Brooklyn Brawler BCW Can-Am Television Champion

Tommy Dreamer

Tyson Dux

Tag Teams

Apollo & Swinger (Otis Apollo & Johnny Swinger) BCW Can-Am Tag Team Champions

Pryce & Kalman Jr. (Dyson Pryce & Geza Kalman Jr.)

Non-Wrestlers

Brian Gorie Referee

Jeffrey Scott Announcer & Referee

BCW Notables

Scott D'Amore is the owner and booker of BCW.

BCW runs a monthly schedule.

BCW is a fun little promotion because so many "names" are here. IRL, D'Amore had his fingers in a strip club which allowed him to bankroll BCW with the bigger names, and the names did work at a bit of a discount since D'Amore was liked and friends with lots of talent.

Brian Gorie wasn't with BCW full-time, but did referee here and there. I threw him in just because it hurts no one. Gorie was refereeing in Michigan mostly, but was trained by the Can-Am Wrestling School and showed up to the odd show when D'Amore used lots of Michigan talent.

Canada Notables

I need to finish off the Canadian free agents. Canada is a pretty small area since it was really in a lull at this time. Its crazy how much 2001 seemed to be a big reset on the business. Lots of the guys on the Canadian indy scene (like most indy scenes at this time) were really just part timers with real jobs hoping for a break with WWF. Japan & Mexico were not really big options unless you had some name value. Because of that, lots of guys at this time that maybe could have been huge, wernt. So its hard to really identify wrestlers/companies to add since so many never went anywhere and information/videos about them are fleeting let alone written results.

Anyway, in alphabetical order, here is a list of the current based-in-Canada unemployed wrestlers:

Angel Williams (Angelina Love)

Asylum

Bobby Rude

Bret Hart (Retired)

Cody Steele (Cody Deaner)

Cyrus (Don Callis)

Davey Boy Smith (Retired)

Eddington James (Referee)

Eric Young

Harry Smith

Jacques Rougeau (Retired)

Jim Neidhart (Occasional)

Joe E. Legend

Johnny Devine

Kenny Omega

Kevin Steen

Kurrgan

La Felina (Gail Kim)

LuFisto

Mauro Ranallo

Nattie Neidhart

Notorious TID

Phil LaFon

Pierre Carl Ouellet (PCO)

Quinson Valentino

Rene Dupree

Sexxxy Eddy

Sinn (Kizarny)

Sylvain Grenier

Teddy Hart

TJ Wilson

Tracy Brooks

I may find a few more to add but no guarantees.

Every excited for this Mod.

Just wanted to ask if there will be many Future Workers, or if it will mostly just the bigger names that will make it in?

Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

Main focus is just getting the world "complete" I will likely include future workers, but maybe that will be part of a 2.0 release. My goal is to get it to a release/playable state to allow people to play it at least. Then if I'm not burn out I may tweak stuff based on peoples suggestions (especially glaring errors). Its after that I'll potentially focus on future workers, agers & broadcast changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Back from the dead.

Just a heads up I started poking away at the data again as life and time allowed and interest had returned.

I managed to plow through AJPW and NOAH and am now motivated to finish off Japan.

Left in Japan that will guaranteed be in the data is New Japan Pro Wrestling & Toryumon

I also currently have All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling, Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling, Michinoku Pro Wrestling & Osaka Pro Wrestling, Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE in the data. No guarantee they will all be there long term but I do intend to hopefully keep them all or at least a few.

The big news to maybe hype (hopefully not prematurely) stuff up is after Japan is done, I think I'm willing to release a BETA data. I generally dont like that. But I also fear maybe losing interest again and having a data made with the USA, Canada & Japan all done and then just die seems like such a waste. Obviously my intention is to finish off Mexico which to me really creates a complete real world data, but no guarantees.

Also, the data is not set up to be played for 20-years. You could, I've done sims that far, but I so far dont have many "to debut" workers or companies. Maybe at some point I'll decide its worth doing, but I'd rather just get a DATA really good that can play without being dumb for maybe 5-10 years. I find 99% of playthroughs of any game dont go that long anyway.

So yea. Rambling update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news! 

It's getting there! no release date, I'll never say one or give a timeframe. As I said before the big thing going now is to get Japan "done" (nothing is never done!). The biggest being NJPW/NOAH/AJPW as well as all the smaller promotions. The good news is I got NJPW, AJPW, NOAH, Toryumon, AJW, BJW & Zero-One "done" (nothing is ever done). So FMW, Osaka Pro... and... I think that's it, remains for Japan to be "done" (nothing is ever done).

Bad news!

I've added another imaginary hurdle to any sort of beta release. I want to really flesh out some possible future workers. Broadcasters need some work. And I started redoing venues from scratch because I'm a gluten for punishment, but also because I personally prefer that level of detail. Obviously a lot of people just use generic venues and I appreciate that, but I find the challenge (especially as WCW or WWF) of having to use the available venues only is always fun. So there's a at least another few months of finishing Japan and this tinkering I'm doing. Then I hope to release a beta or data or whatever you want to call it, with the big missing hole that is Mexico which I will then poke at, but I imagine will take me months.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 1:54 AM, MrCanada said:

Good news! 

It's getting there! no release date, I'll never say one or give a timeframe. As I said before the big thing going now is to get Japan "done" (nothing is never done!). The biggest being NJPW/NOAH/AJPW as well as all the smaller promotions. The good news is I got NJPW, AJPW, NOAH, Toryumon, AJW, BJW & Zero-One "done" (nothing is ever done). So FMW, Osaka Pro... and... I think that's it, remains for Japan to be "done" (nothing is ever done).

Bad news!

I've added another imaginary hurdle to any sort of beta release. I want to really flesh out some possible future workers. Broadcasters need some work. And I started redoing venues from scratch because I'm a gluten for punishment, but also because I personally prefer that level of detail. Obviously a lot of people just use generic venues and I appreciate that, but I find the challenge (especially as WCW or WWF) of having to use the available venues only is always fun. So there's a at least another few months of finishing Japan and this tinkering I'm doing. Then I hope to release a beta or data or whatever you want to call it, with the big missing hole that is Mexico which I will then poke at, but I imagine will take me months.

I just hope as many of the future wrestlers to debut are included. I loved playing the 2000-2001 mod for 2016 but after a few years missing guys were sometimes a downer.