Meanwhile, earlier on the day of the November 25 Montreal card...

In his office at his training gym, Johnny Rougeau was on the phone again, in the middle of a call.  "That's right, that's all it is," he said to the party at the other end of the line.  "I'm not doing it to 'go national' or anything like that, I only made the special to distribute to other promoters and to local TV stations to give the girls an outlet to put their talents and skills on display, that way they start getting booked more by local promoters like yourself."

As Johnny listened to the response, a knock came on his office door, which - like last time - was partially open as he was expecting visitors.  When Renée Martel poked her head through the doorway, Johnny waved her in, allowing her, Michèle Richard, Françoise Hardy and France Gall to come in.  "Yep, the special airs locally in Montreal and in Quebec City, Chicoutimi and Ottawa on the 5th, and the other stations that have agreed to air it are choosing their own days on which to do so," he then continued.  "Some of the larger privately-owned Radio-Canada stations in Quebec are even airing the French version of the special on the same day as Montreal because they're linked for syndicated programming with CFTM here."  After listening to a further response, he then added, "As far as Moncton and Saint John go, I think their stations are airing the special the same day as in Halifax, a few days after Montreal, so you'll know when to watch.  Okay, talk to you later, Emile."

"Talking about the TV special?" Renée spoke up after Johnny hung up.

"That's what I've been doing the past couple of hours," Johnny said.  "That was Emile Duprée, the promoter in New Brunswick, that I just got off the phone with.  He called 'cause he heard about the special and he had some concerns because someone working for him in his office put it in his head that I was trying to 'intrude' on his turf with an expansion, so I had to set him straight about it, that I'm doing nothing of the sort."

"Well, you have no intention of expanding All-Star Wrestling outside of your territory, so why would he think that?" Renée wondered.

"Duprée's not the only one who thought that," Johnny said.  "Earlier, I heard from Al Tomko, Verne Gagne's local promoter over in Winnipeg, and he not only made the same assumption after he heard about the special, he was a bit less diplomatic about it than Duprée was.  I even found out that he tried taking it out on you during his Winnipeg event a few days ago, telling you to 'send a message' to me about 'trying to intrude' on the AWA's turf."

"I remember, I was there when that happened," said Françoise, who had been booked with Renée for the Winnipeg AWA event.  "He even threatened not to book Renée again over it and he was upsetting her about it, so I stood up for her and told him to deal with you about it, not to take it out on her as your proxy."

"The Crusher was there too and after I explained about the special and that it had Mr. Gagne's blessing to air in Winnipeg, Crusher gave Tomko a piece of his mind as well," Renée said.

"That's what I would've done too if I'd been there," Michèle said in agreement, no stranger herself to speaking her mind when she thought the situation called for it.

"Well, after I found out about that, I gave Tomko hell for bawling out Renée for something that wasn't even her fault, then I told him to take it up with Verne," Johnny said.  "Right after that, I contacted Verne at his office and told him what happened and he said he'll set Tomko straight.  Anyway, about tonight's show," he added as he picked up a sheet of paper containing details about that night's card.  "I got some details to go over with the match with the four of you to wrap up the feud between Renée and Françoise."

"That and the Quebec City event on Friday before I head back to Europe," Françoise added.

"So you won't be staying to see the special on TV when it airs?" Renée asked Françoise.

"I'd like to, but the promoters in England are expecting me back by next week because they want me to start defending my European title again when I get back there," Françoise explained.  "I finish up with Johnny in Quebec City on Friday, then I leave for London on Sunday and wrestle some dates in England before I head back home to Paris for Christmas break."

"Ah, okay," Renée said with a nod.  "How about you, France?  What do you have planned when you head back to Europe?" she then asked France after turning to her.

"Oh, you haven't heard?" France replied.  "I'm not going back to Europe with Françoise when she leaves.  I'm staying in Canada to continue wrestling here."

"It's true," Johnny confirmed.  "France talked with me a few days ago about remaining in Canada to wrestle and she said she'd like to do so.  I also heard from Mildred Burke around that time and she said Mae Young had recommended France to her based on her performance two weeks ago at the Forum and also saw the tape of the matches from that night, so she'd like to have France come down to Los Angeles after New Year's to wrestle in the AGWA - and Renée and Michèle, Mildred wants you both along as well."

"Really?" France said with a surprised gasp upon hearing the news.  "I mean, Renée told me about Mildred Burke that night, but I never thought it would happen that fast."

"Mildred knows you're new on the wrestling scene in North America, and since Renée and Michèle have both wrestled for her before over the past couple of years, she thought having them along to help you out would go a long way," Johnny said.  "By bringing you down to Los Angeles to wrestle and appear on TV there, she'll get your name out there among the American fans like she did for Renée and Michèle."

"Well, I'm happy for that, but it's still a lot to take in," France remarked, still amazed to learn that she would get the chance to make her American wrestling debut, so soon after arriving in Canada, in due time.

"No worries, France, with Michèle and I along with you, the ride will be a smoother one - and just wait 'til you see Las Vegas," Renée said reassuringly with a grin, drawing a smile from France.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 9:16 AM, kinnikuniverse said:

EDIT 2: ah, i actually found the perfect no.2 option: Fernand Ste-Marie, who was a radio host at the time, but would end up being the commentator for the vachons Grand Prix wrestling in the 70s. He can host along with Carpentier.

Wait to see what's coming in the next post...  😁

• Like 1

December 1968

From the Montreal Gazette, regarding the televising of matches from the November 11 Montreal Forum women's supercard:

Women's wrestling special wins big on TV

Local wrestling star Johnny Rougeau's gamble to broadcast the matches recorded at the women's wrestling supercard held last month at the Forum appears to have paid off in a big way, as early reports from the TV stations broadcasting the special in Quebec and in the National Capital Region around Ottawa indicate that the event won the night with TV viewers where the special aired.

The special, aired on CFCF-TV with the title Johnny Rougeau Presents the Women of Wrestling and also aired as Johnny Rougeau Présente les Femmes de la Lutte for the French broadcast on CFTM-TV, simultaneously aired last Thursday on the two local private TV outlets, with the English version of the special also airing in Ottawa that night on its local CTV station CJOH-TV and the French version being networked by CFTM to independent stations CFCM in Quebec City and CJPM in Chicoutimi-Jonquière as well as privately-owned Radio-Canada affiliates CHLT in Sherbrooke, CKTM in Trois-Rivières, CJBR in Rimouski, CKRN in Rouyn-Noranda, CKRT in Rivière-du-Loup, CKBL in Matane and CHAU in Carleton-sur-Mer.  In the National Capital Region, where there is no privately-owned French commercial TV station, Hull radio station CJRC broadcast French audio play-by-play of the matches in simulcast with the special on CJOH for the benefit of Francophone viewers of the special in the area.

The two-hour special, hosted in English by Rougeau and CFCF sportscaster Jack Curran and in French by Rougeau and Fernand Ste-Marie (with match commentary for both versions of the special being pre-recorded), featured seven of the ten matches that took place at the Forum on November 11:  Georgia Hase & Judy Sowinski vs. Sabrina Lafleur & Rosalie Paiement, Penny Banner vs. Marianne Duchesne, Mae Young vs. French import France Gall, ex-Olympic athlete Earlene Brown vs. Baby Rocco in a battle of the big gals, Barbara LaMarche & Claire Lepage vs. Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson for the Canadian Women's Tag Team title, United States Women's Champion Judy Arnold defending her belt against Margot Bouchard and Renée Martel vs. Françoise Hardy for the Canadian Women's title, along with post-event interviews with several of the event participants.

According to the early reports from the stations that have aired the special to date, in Montreal alone, approximately 80% of all viewers watching TV that night were tuned in to the special on CFCF and CFTM, handily beating competing programs on the local state-owned stations, CBC's CBMT and Radio-Canada's CBFT, as well as the American stations available from across the border in Vermont and New York.  In the Ottawa-Hull area, up to 75% of TV viewers watched the special on CJOH.  In Quebec City, the special as aired on CFCM landed up to 90% of local TV viewers that night, trouncing competing shows on Radio-Canada station CBVT and CFCM's CBC-affiliated Anglophone sister station CKMI.  In Chicoutimi-Jonquière, CJPM's broadcast of the special blasted the competition from Radio-Canada affiliate CKRS-TV, with 80% of viewers parking their TV sets on CJPM that night to see the grappling girls in action.  In Sherbrooke and the Eastern Townships region and in all other parts of Quebec where the local Radio-Canada affiliates are also the only local stations in their respective areas, their broadcast of the special, picked up from CFTM, easily won the night with their respective captive audiences.

Rougeau took the news of those ratings wins for his special with pleased surprise, as he revealed when interviewed by the Gazette.  "I expected that some viewers would tune in to see what they missed when the Forum event took place, and some would tune in for the curiosity factor while others who had been to the live event wanted to relive that experience and root for their favorites again," he explained.  "I also figured for the smaller cities in Quebec with one station that they'd have 100% viewership, but for Montreal, Quebec City, Chicoutimi and Ottawa, the high viewership in all those cities really surprised me.  I thought that each of those four cities would get about 40, perhaps 45% of the viewers watching TV that night, but to get 75, 80, even as much as 90% of viewers, that's just phenomenal.  I'd expect big viewer percentages to happen in Japan where women's wrestling airs regularly on TV according to what I've heard from (former World Women's Wrestling Champion) Mildred Burke, but for a one-shot TV special I put on for Canadian TV...  Amazing, just amazing."

This is expected to only be the beginning for the Women of Wrestling special, however.  Just prior to press time for this issue, the special was due to air in the Maritimes on four stations there - Nova Scotia stations CJCH-TV in Halifax and CJCB-TV in Sydney, and New Brunswick stations CKCW-TV in Moncton and CHSJ-TV in Saint John.  It will also air in the Toronto-Hamilton region via Hamilton independent station CHCH-TV, which produces its own wrestling program, Ringside Wrestling, for Toronto promoter Frank Tunney, and will also be made available to several privately-owned CBC affiliates elsewhere in Ontario, including CFPL-TV in London, CKLW-TV in Windsor, CKSO-TV in Sudbury, CFCL-TV in Timmins, CFCH-TV in North Bay, CJIC-TV in Sault Ste. Marie and CKPR-TV in the Port Arthur-Fort William area.  In Manitoba, Winnipeg CTV affiliate CJAY-TV and Brandon CBC affiliate CKX-TV will carry the special.  All of the aforementioned stations will carry the original version of the English special from CFCF.

As noted in a previous article, Rougeau has also made a commentary-free version of the special available for stations that wish to add their own announcers to cover play-by-play.  Two stations out West, both of which produce wrestling programs for local promoters, took Rougeau up on that offer to do their own versions of the Women of Wrestling special.  The Vancouver version of the special, which will air on local CTV affiliate CHAN-TV (which produces the All-Star Wrestling program for Vancouver promoter Sandor Kovacs) and simulcast on Victoria sister station CHEK-TV, will be hosted and commentated on by Ron Morrier and wrestler Don Leo Jonathan and will also be made available to private CBC affiliates in Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Terrace and Dawson Creek at later dates, while the Calgary version, which will air on local CBC affiliate CFAC-TV (which produces local promotion Stampede Wrestling's program), will be hosted by Stampede Wrestling host Ed Whalen and Calgary promoter Stu Hart (who, incidentally, was also one of Renée Martel's trainers) and will also be distributed to other stations in Alberta and Saskatchewan that carry Stampede Wrestling, including CTV affiliates CFRN-TV in Edmonton and CHAB-TV in Moose Jaw (and its Regina satellite CHRE-TV) and Saskatoon CBC affiliate CFQC-TV.

How the special will fare viewership-wise on the other stations that carry it remains to be seen, but if it fares as it already has in Quebec, it should mean a financial boon for all the stations involved, along with Rougeau himself and the women who appear on the special - which, in turn, would also mean more bookings for the ladies due to more demand for them by wrestling promoters across Canada.

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 2

Renée Martel Career Record - 1968 (111 documented matches)

American Girls' Wrestling Association:
01/16 Anaheim, CA - beat Jane Sherill (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - first round)
01/19 Las Vegas, NV - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
01/20 Reno, NV - w/. Judy Arnold & Claire Lepage, beat Ann Calvello, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson (six-woman elimination match)
01/23 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
01/27 Phoenix, AZ - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara
01/30 Anaheim, CA - beat Diane Syverson (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - quarterfinals)
02/06 Los Angeles, CA - beat Jan Vallow (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - semifinals)
02/06 Los Angeles, CA - beat Margot Bouchard (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - final)
02/10 Tucson, AZ - beat Lucille Dupree
02/13 Anaheim, CA - beat Ann Calvello (AGWA United States Champion) by DQ

All-Star Wrestling/Les As de la Lutte:
02/26 Montreal, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
03/05 Chicoutimi, QC - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard (TV taping)
03/08 Quebec City, QC - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/11 Montreal, QC - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard

NWA All-Star Wrestling - Promoter Sandor Kovacs:
03/13 Burnaby, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard (TV taping)
03/15 New Westminster, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/18 Vancouver, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/19 Chilliwack, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard

American Wrestling Association:
03/22 Winnipeg, MB - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard by DQ
03/23 Chicago, IL - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/28 Burlington, IA - w/. Penny Banner, vs. Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/02 Moline, IL - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/03 Duluth, MN - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/05 Winnipeg, MB - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/06 St. Paul, MN - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard

Stampede Wrestling:
04/12 Calgary, AB - beat Terri LaChance
04/12 Calgary, AB - beat Diane Syverson

• Won the Canadian Women's title

04/15 Lethbridge, AB - beat Diane Syverson
04/16 Edmonton, AB - beat Diane Syverson
04/17 Saskatoon, SK - beat Diane Syverson
04/18 Regina, SK - beat Diane Syverson
04/19 Calgary, AB - beat Diane Syverson

04/22 Montreal, QC - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Belle Starr & Margot Bouchard
04/25 Quebec City, QC - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Belle Starr & Margot Bouchard
04/29 Montreal, QC - beat Belle Starr
05/01 Cornwall, ON - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Belle Starr & Margot Bouchard by DQ

05/10 Winnipeg, MB - lost to Margot Bouchard by countout
05/11 St. Paul, MN - lost to Margot Bouchard

05/13 Montreal, QC - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Margot Bouchard & Miss X
05/16 Quebec City, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
05/20 Montreal, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

Big Bear Promotions - Promoter Dave McKigney:
05/23 Simcoe, ON - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

NWA All-Star Wrestling:
05/25 Victoria, BC - lost to Margot Bouchard by countout
05/27 Port Alberni, BC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
05/28 Chilliwack, BC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
05/29 Burnaby, BC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ (TV taping)

05/31 Winnipeg, MB - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

NWA All-Star Wrestling:
06/01 Seattle, WA - drew Margot Bouchard
06/03 Vancouver, BC - drew Margot Bouchard

06/10 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
06/11 Ottawa, ON - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard

06/21 Winnipeg, MB - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout

07/01 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout
07/05 Quebec City, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout
07/08 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy

• Lost the Canadian Women's title

07/12 Quebec City, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy

NWA All-Star Wrestling:
07/15 Vancouver, BC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
07/16 Victoria, BC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
07/17 Burnaby, BC - drew Françoise Hardy (TV taping)

07/18 Winnipeg, MB - lost to Françoise Hardy

07/22 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
07/26 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard by DQ

Maple Leaf Wrestling:
07/28 Toronto, ON - lost to Françoise Hardy

07/29 Montreal, QC - w/. Julie Painchaud & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Miss X (six-woman elimination match)
08/01 Trois-Rivières, QC - w/. Julie Painchaud & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Miss X (six-woman elimination match)
08/02 Quebec City, QC - w/. Julie Painchaud & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Miss X (six-woman elimination match)
08/05 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy
08/09 Quebec City, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy

Maple Leaf Wrestling:
08/11 Toronto, ON - drew Françoise Hardy

08/12 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout

Big Bear Promotions:
08/13 Simcoe, ON - lost to Françoise Hardy
08/14 Ingersoll, ON - lost to Françoise Hardy

08/16 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard by DQ
08/19 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard (loser leaves ASW for 60 days match)

08/24 Las Vegas, NV - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
08/27 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson (TV taping)

• Won the AGWA United States Tag Team title

08/30 Provo, UT - w/. Claire Lepage & Joyce Fowler, beat Mae Young, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson (six-woman elimination match)
08/31 Salt Lake City, UT - w/. Claire Lepage, drew Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard

American Girls' Wrestling Association/Pacific Northwest Wrestling - Promoter Don Owen:
09/03 Portland, OR - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ

09/05 San Jose, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, drew Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/10 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Janet Russ & Jen Scott (TV taping)
09/13 San Bernardino, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
09/14 Bakersfield, CA - w/. Judy Arnold & Claire Lepage, beat Ann Calvello, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
09/18 Phoenix, AZ - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/19 Tucson, AZ - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
09/21 Albuquerque, NM - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/24 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara (TV taping)
09/27 Colorado Springs, CO - w/. Judy Arnold & Claire Lepage, beat Mae Young, Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/28 Denver, CO - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara
10/03 Idaho Falls, ID - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
10/04 Boise, ID - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara
10/05 Spokane, WA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
10/08 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by forfeit (TV taping)

• The AGWA United States Tag Team title was vacated due to Claire Lepage being injured by Baby Rocco

10/11 San Bernardino, CA - w/. Earlene Brown, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
10/12 San Diego, CA - beat Georgia Hase by DQ
10/15 Provo, UT - w/. Earlene Brown & Ann Calvello, beat Baby Rocco, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
10/16 Salt Lake City, UT - beat Georgia Hase by DQ
10/18 Phoenix, AZ - beat Georgia Hase by DQ

10/25 Quebec City, QC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
10/28 Montreal, QC - w/. Claire Lepage & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Marianne Duchesne (six-woman elimination match)
11/01 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
11/08 Quebec City, QC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
11/11 Montreal, QC - beat Françoise Hardy

• Won the Canadian Women's title (2)

11/15 Quebec City, QC - beat Françoise Hardy
11/18 Montreal, QC - beat Françoise Hardy

11/22 Winnipeg, MB - beat Françoise Hardy

11/25 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
11/29 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
12/06 Quebec City, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
12/07 Granby, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
12/09 Montreal, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
12/13 Quebec City, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche & Claire Lepage, beat Margot Bouchard & Miss X I & II
12/16 Montreal, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche & Claire Lepage, beat Margot Bouchard & Miss X I & II

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Old School Fan said:

Renée Martel Career Record - 1968 (111 documented matches)

01/16 Anaheim, CA - beat Jane Sherill (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - first round)
01/19 Las Vegas, NV - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
01/20 Reno, NV - w/. Judy Arnold & Claire Lepage, beat Ann Calvello, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson (six-woman elimination match)
01/23 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
01/27 Phoenix, AZ - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara
01/30 Anaheim, CA - beat Diane Syverson (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - quarterfinals)
02/06 Los Angeles, CA - beat Jan Vallow (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - semifinals)
02/06 Los Angeles, CA - beat Margot Bouchard (Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - final)
02/10 Tucson, AZ - beat Lucille Dupree
02/13 Anaheim, CA - beat Ann Calvello (AGWA United States Champion) by DQ

02/26 Montreal, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
03/05 Chicoutimi, QC - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard (TV taping)
03/08 Quebec City, QC - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/11 Montreal, QC - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard

NWA All-Star Wrestling - Promoter Sandor Kovacs:
03/13 Burnaby, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard (TV taping)
03/15 New Westminster, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/18 Vancouver, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/19 Chilliwack, BC - w/. Penny Banner, drew Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard

03/22 Winnipeg, MB - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard by DQ
03/23 Chicago, IL - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
03/28 Burlington, IA - w/. Penny Banner, vs. Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/02 Moline, IL - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/03 Duluth, MN - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/05 Winnipeg, MB - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard
04/06 St. Paul, MN - w/. Penny Banner, beat Terry Majors & Margot Bouchard

Stampede Wrestling:
04/12 Calgary, AB - beat Terri LaChance
04/12 Calgary, AB - beat Diane Syverson

• Won the Canadian Women's title

04/15 Lethbridge, AB - beat Diane Syverson
04/16 Edmonton, AB - beat Diane Syverson
04/17 Saskatoon, SK - beat Diane Syverson
04/18 Regina, SK - beat Diane Syverson
04/19 Calgary, AB - beat Diane Syverson

04/22 Montreal, QC - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Belle Starr & Margot Bouchard
04/25 Quebec City, QC - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Belle Starr & Margot Bouchard
04/29 Montreal, QC - beat Belle Starr
05/01 Cornwall, ON - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Belle Starr & Margot Bouchard by DQ

05/10 Winnipeg, MB - lost to Margot Bouchard by countout
05/11 St. Paul, MN - lost to Margot Bouchard

05/13 Montreal, QC - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Margot Bouchard & Miss X
05/16 Quebec City, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
05/20 Montreal, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

Big Bear Promotions - Promoter Dave McKigney:
05/23 Simcoe, ON - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

NWA All-Star Wrestling:
05/25 Victoria, BC - lost to Margot Bouchard by countout
05/27 Port Alberni, BC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
05/28 Chilliwack, BC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
05/29 Burnaby, BC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ (TV taping)

05/31 Winnipeg, MB - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

NWA All-Star Wrestling:
06/01 Seattle, WA - drew Margot Bouchard
06/03 Vancouver, BC - drew Margot Bouchard

06/10 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
06/11 Ottawa, ON - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard

06/21 Winnipeg, MB - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout

07/01 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout
07/05 Quebec City, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout
07/08 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy

• Lost the Canadian Women's title

07/12 Quebec City, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy

NWA All-Star Wrestling:
07/15 Vancouver, BC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
07/16 Victoria, BC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
07/17 Burnaby, BC - drew Françoise Hardy (TV taping)

07/18 Winnipeg, MB - lost to Françoise Hardy

07/22 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
07/26 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard by DQ

Maple Leaf Wrestling:
07/28 Toronto, ON - lost to Françoise Hardy

07/29 Montreal, QC - w/. Julie Painchaud & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Miss X (six-woman elimination match)
08/01 Trois-Rivières, QC - w/. Julie Painchaud & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Miss X (six-woman elimination match)
08/02 Quebec City, QC - w/. Julie Painchaud & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Miss X (six-woman elimination match)
08/05 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy
08/09 Quebec City, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy

Maple Leaf Wrestling:
08/11 Toronto, ON - drew Françoise Hardy

08/12 Montreal, QC - lost to Françoise Hardy by countout

Big Bear Promotions:
08/13 Simcoe, ON - lost to Françoise Hardy
08/14 Ingersoll, ON - lost to Françoise Hardy

08/16 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard by DQ
08/19 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, lost to Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard (loser leaves ASW for 60 days match)

08/24 Las Vegas, NV - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
08/27 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson (TV taping)

• Won the AGWA United States Tag Team title

08/30 Provo, UT - w/. Claire Lepage & Joyce Fowler, beat Mae Young, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson (six-woman elimination match)
08/31 Salt Lake City, UT - w/. Claire Lepage, drew Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard

American Girls' Wrestling Association/Pacific Northwest Wrestling - Promoter Don Owen:
09/03 Portland, OR - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ

09/05 San Jose, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, drew Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/10 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Janet Russ & Jen Scott (TV taping)
09/13 San Bernardino, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
09/14 Bakersfield, CA - w/. Judy Arnold & Claire Lepage, beat Ann Calvello, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
09/18 Phoenix, AZ - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/19 Tucson, AZ - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
09/21 Albuquerque, NM - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/24 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara (TV taping)
09/27 Colorado Springs, CO - w/. Judy Arnold & Claire Lepage, beat Mae Young, Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard
09/28 Denver, CO - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara
10/03 Idaho Falls, ID - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
10/04 Boise, ID - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara
10/05 Spokane, WA - w/. Claire Lepage, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by DQ
10/08 Anaheim, CA - w/. Claire Lepage, lost to Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson by forfeit (TV taping)

• The AGWA United States Tag Team title was vacated due to Claire Lepage being injured by Baby Rocco

10/11 San Bernardino, CA - w/. Earlene Brown, beat Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
10/12 San Diego, CA - beat Georgia Hase by DQ
10/15 Provo, UT - w/. Earlene Brown & Ann Calvello, beat Baby Rocco, Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson
10/16 Salt Lake City, UT - beat Georgia Hase by DQ
10/18 Phoenix, AZ - beat Georgia Hase by DQ

10/25 Quebec City, QC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
10/28 Montreal, QC - w/. Claire Lepage & France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy, Margot Bouchard & Marianne Duchesne (six-woman elimination match)
11/01 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
11/08 Quebec City, QC - beat Françoise Hardy by DQ
11/11 Montreal, QC - beat Françoise Hardy

• Won the Canadian Women's title (2)

11/15 Quebec City, QC - beat Françoise Hardy
11/18 Montreal, QC - beat Françoise Hardy

11/22 Winnipeg, MB - beat Françoise Hardy

11/25 Montreal, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
11/29 Quebec City, QC - w/. France Gall, beat Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard
12/06 Quebec City, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
12/07 Granby, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
12/09 Montreal, QC - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ
12/13 Quebec City, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche & Claire Lepage, beat Margot Bouchard & Miss X I & II
12/16 Montreal, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche & Claire Lepage, beat Margot Bouchard & Miss X I & II

Like the idea of laying out someone's match results! Cool to see what she's done.

• Like 1

January 1969

One of the most notable stories of the year was the staging of the Woodstock music festival in Bethel, New York, which, despite periods of inclement weather and issues with first aid, food shortages and poor sanitation, drew over 400,000 attendees for four days of performances by various rock music acts, becoming one of the biggest music festivals in history and becoming a defining moment for the hippie culture of the time.  Another major news story was the Apollo 11 lunar mission, in which astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the Moon's surface and was broadcast to a worldwide TV audience.  The Altamont Free Concert in Altamont, California, headlined by a Rolling Stones appearance and attended by 300,000 concertgoers, was marred by violent incidents culminating in the stabbing death of Meredith Hunter by Alan Passaro, a member of the Hell's Angels, which had been acting as security for the concert.  An explosion on the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier near Hawaii killed 27 crew members and injured 314.  A border conflict between Soviet and Chinese military forces took place over the course of several months following the split of political relations between the two Communist dictatorships.  Former US President Dwight Eisenhower, who had who had served in the US Army during both World Wars and later won the 1952 and 1956 Presidential elections by defeating Democrat opponent Adlai Stevenson both times, died on March 28 at age 78.  Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of US Senator and Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy, was convicted of that crime and was initially sentenced to death (which was later commuted to life in prison following California's 1972 revocation of the death penalty).  An initial withdrawal of American military troops from Vietnam was made during the Vietnam War.  Members of the Manson Family cult, under orders from Charles Manson, committed what would become known as the Tate-LaBianca murders over the course of two days in August, leading to the later arrest of Manson and 25 others.  Hurricane Camille hit the coast of Mississippi, killing 248 people and causing extensive damage.  North Vietnamese Communist dictator Ho Chi Minh died at age 79.  The Illinois National Guard was deployed to curb demonstrations by the Weathermen (the forerunner of leftist radical group Weather Underground) in connection with the trial of the Chicago Eight on charges relating to anti-Vietnam War radicalism.  ARPANET, the forerunner of the modern Internet, had its first link established.  The Boeing 747 jumbo jet was put into service as it made its maiden passenger flight from Seattle to New York City.  In Canada, the Montreal Stock Exchange building was bombed by members of pro-Quebec separation Marxist terrorist group the Front de libération du Québec, injuring 27 people as part of the FLQ's ongoing campaign of terrorist activity in Quebec.

In entertainment, TV series The Mothers-in-Law, The Saint, The Avengers, Peyton Place, Star Trek, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and Gomer Pyle, USMC all ended their network runs (with Star Trek later being sold into syndicated reruns that would mark its beginning as a highly successful sci-fi franchise), while Hee Haw, Room 222, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, The Brady Bunch, Medical Center, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Love, American Style, Marcus Welby, M.D. and kids' shows H.R. Pufnstuf, Sesame Street, Scooby-Doo and The Archie Comedy Hour all made their debuts, and Get Smart switched networks from NBC to CBS.  ABC aired what would end up being the sole episode of the sketch comedy Turn-On, which was cancelled after that episode (and ended up not airing at all on some West Coast ABC affiliates).  Midnight Cowboy became the first and only X-rated movie to ever win the Academy Award for Best Picture, while Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Easy Rider, Paint Your Wagon, True Grit and Disney film The Love Bug were released and became box office hits. The Beatles gave their last public performance before their breakup with their rooftop concert on the roof of the Apple Corps building in London; later in the year, they recorded Abbey Road, the last Beatles album in which all four group members were present in the same studio (as well as one of their last pre-breakup albums overall).  John Lennon and Yoko Ono married at Gibraltar and honeymooned in Amsterdam, where they conducted their first of two "Bed-ins", followed by a second event in Montreal (where they recorded "Give Peace a Chance" in the hotel room where they were staying).  Chicago (the rock group) released its debut album, Chicago Transit Authority.  Rolling Stones guitarist and founding member Brian Jones, who had recently been fired from the group due to increasing unreliability caused by substance abuse, was found dead from accidental drowning in his swimming pool.  Elvis Presley returned to the top of the music charts for the first time in seven years when his song "Suspicious Minds" hit #1.

In sports, the New York Jets defeated the Baltimore (now Indianapolis) Colts 16-7 to win Super Bowl III, and the Ohio State Buckeyes beat the USC Trojans 27-16 to win the Rose Bowl and the college football national championship.  In Major League Baseball, the American and National Leagues each expanded to 12 teams with the additions of the Seattle Pilots (now the Milwaukee Brewers) and the Kansas City Royals in the AL and the Montreal Expos and the San Diego Padres in the NL; later in the year, the New York Mets won the World Series by defeating the Baltimore Orioles, four games to one.  The Boston Celtics beat the Los Angeles Lakers, four games to three, to win the NBA Championship, while the Oakland Oaks captured the ABA Championship with a 4-1 series win over the Indiana Pacers.  The Montreal Canadiens again swept the St. Louis Blues in four games to win their 16th Stanley Cup, while the USSR defeated Sweden to win the World Hockey Championship.  Former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion Rocky Marciano was killed in an airplane crash in Newton, Iowa at age 46.

In wrestling, Gene Kiniski's three-year reign as NWA World Heavyweight Champion was ended when Dory Funk Jr. defeated him in Tampa, Florida, while Bruno Sammartino celebrated six years as WWWF World Heavyweight Champion and Verne Gagne celebrated his first full year as AWA World Heavyweight Champion.  The Eastern Sports Association, a successor to the defunct Maritime promotion the Provincial Sports Association, was established by former wrestler Al Zinck in Halifax and quickly gained NWA membership.  Dallas NWA promoter Ed McLemore, one of the founders of what would later become World Class Championship Wrestling, died of a heart attack in January at age 63 (McLemore's promotional partner Jack Adkisson, best known as Fritz Von Erich, took over sole ownership of the company afterward), while former Chicago NWA promoter Fred Kohler, whose TV wrestling program Wrestling from Marigold Arena aired nationally on the old DuMont Television Network from 1949 to 1955 (and was the last American network wrestling program prior to 1985), died in Arizona on August 24 at age 66, and Iron Mike DiBiase, the adoptive father of Ted DiBiase and grandfather of Mike II, Ted Jr. and Brett DiBiase, died in the ring of a heart attack in Lubbock, Texas on July 2 at age 45 following a match with Man Mountain Mike.

Meanwhile, with the start of the new year, Renée Martel, along with some of her wrestling colleagues, made the trip from Montreal down to Anaheim at Mildred Burke's invitation, as a third edition of Mildred's Invitational Tournament was soon to come...

spacer.png

Renée and France Gall had just arrived back in their two-bed room at the Holiday Inn hotel in Anaheim* after returning from going to Disneyland, with both girls wearing souvenir Mickey Mouse ears on their heads as they stepped through the room's doorway to go inside.  "So, how'd you like your first trip to an American amusement park - Disneyland, at that?" Renée asked France as the latter took her Mickey Mouse ears off and dropped it onto her bed.

"Oh, it was great," a grinning France replied as she flopped onto her bed.  "I'm familiar with all things Disney thanks to seeing their movies on TV back home in Paris, but getting to experience it firsthand in an amusement park?  That was so much fun, especially Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and New Orleans Square."

"And like I was saying back in Montreal, Las Vegas still awaits," Renée said.  "They got a good arena there for wrestling events, but wait'll you see the Vegas Strip - especially at night."

"So is it really like the postcards I've seen of it?" France asked.

"Better," Renée admitted.  "But if you're thinking about going into one of the casinos on the strip there, I wouldn't advise it - last year, Mildred banned her roster from setting foot in the casinos there after Michèle went into one of them on a lark to play the slot machines while we were in Vegas for an event that time and some fans recognized her and caused a scene after she won on one of them."

"Oh, boy, if I could've been there to see that," France said with a laugh.

Just then, a knock came on the girls' room door and Renée went to answer it.  "Hey, what's up?" Michèle Richard greeted the girls right after the door opened.  "I saw you both coming back to the hotel and thought I'd stop by."

"Me and France on the Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland, that's what's up," Renée said with a grin as she invited Michèle into the room.

"What, you guys went off to Disneyland and didn't ask me along?" Michèle said in mock disappointment.

"Well, we didn't think you'd come along with us anyway," France spoke up.

"Hey, I'm just kidding - kayfabe and all that, remember?" Michèle said.  "Even if I went anyway, I'd have to disguise myself to keep from getting recognized by any wrestling fans that might be there."

"No problem, we were thinking of you anyway when we went souvenir shopping at the park and picked you up a couple of items," Renée said as she grabbed a gift bag off her bed and produced a pair of items - a set of Mickey Mouse ears and a Mickey Mouse T-shirt in Michèle's size.

"Ah, nice," Michèle said as she took the T-shirt and checked it out.  "I like the shirt, but the ears weren't really necessary because I still have the souvenir ears from the first time we went to Disneyland last year."

"Oh, okay," Renée said with a laugh. "In that case," she added as she reached back into the bag and pulled out a second set of Mickey Mouse ears, "I'll give both of these to Barbara and Claire when we return to Montreal."

"Yeah, I reckon they'll be happy with those," Michèle said with her own laugh.  Checking her watch, she then added, "Hey, since it's getting close to dinner anyway, you wanna order in for a pizza?  We can discuss that tag match we have that Mildred booked for us with Mike LeBell while we wait for the delivery."

"Sounds good," Renée said.  "You want to get the usual pepperoni-mushroom-green pepper combo, or do you want to mix things up a bit and get another kind of pizza?"

"Let's check the Yellow Pages and find out," Michèle suggested.  "Last I checked, some of the pizza places around here include their menus in their ads.  You gonna spring for the pizza this time?"

"Uh, I think I sprung for the pizza last time around," Renée replied.

"Ah, right," Michèle said. "Okay, I guess pizza's on me then."

"Perfect - then you'll pay out of what you won in Vegas last year, right?" France then joked.

"Huh?" a puzzled Michèle said as she turned to look at France.

"You know, 'cha-ching'," France quipped as she grinned while making the motion of pulling a lever on a slot machine.

Michèle quickly realized what France was talking about as she then turned to Renée.  "You told her, didn't you?" she said as she put her hands on her hips, trying to keep from laughing.

Renée shrugged her shoulders and grinned.  "Someone would've told her anyway - better from a friend than from people on the roster she doesn't know," she said.

"Yeah, I see," Michèle remarked with a nod as she developed a sly grin.  "In that case, you two can split the price of the pizza then."

"Okay, but it was worth it," a still-grinning Renée said of the rib as she went to get the phone book, drawing some light-hearted laughter from all three girls.

* I couldn't find a specific photo of Anaheim's Holiday Inn from the 1960s online, so I just added in a random Holiday Inn photo to establish the setting for this chapter.

Edited by Old School Fan
Link added
  • Like 1

One of @piperrulz' favorite legends makes a return appearance on this card:

spacer.png

NWA Hollywood Wrestling @ Olympic Auditorium
January 8, 1969 - Los Angeles, California

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
In a non-title bout, Nelson Royal & Paul Jones defeated NWA Americas Tag Team Champions The Medics when Jones forced Medic II to submit to the Indian Deathlock.

Renée Martel & France Gall defeated Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard when Bouchard was disqualified for throwing Gall over the top rope.

NWA Beat the Champ Television Championship

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
George Cannon (C) defeated The Preacher by pinfall following a big splash.

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png
 Fred Blassie defeated Pancho Valdez* by pinfall following a neckbreaker.

Harley Race defeated Jack Garofano by pinfall with a Fisherman suplex.

Hahn Lee battled The Stomper** to a time-limit draw.

NWA Americas Heavyweight Championship

Bobo Brazil (C) defeated Robin Ascott*** by pinfall following a headbutt.  As Brazil was handed the Americas title belt post-match, Fred Blassie ran out to the ring and attacked the champion, who managed to fight back and clear Blassie out of the ring; Blassie then took the arena microphone and told Brazil that time is running out on his title reign and that the belt would be coming to Blassie when they eventually face off two nights from tonight.

* Pancho Valdez also wrestled under ring names such as Gypsy Joe and Bruno Sanmartino (an intentional attempt by promoters Jack Pfefer and Tony Santos to pass him off as a soundalike knockoff of Bruno Sammartino) and was one of the trainers of Carlos Colon Jr. (AKA Carlito Carribean Cool); as seen in the picture above, he looked at that point more like a cross between Lou Albano and Mick Foley.

** This Stomper is not Archie Gouldie, but an unknown wrestler.

*** Robin Ascott was created for this diary; he will figure into upcoming entries in this diary centering around the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament.

Edited by Old School Fan
Info added
  • Like 1

For this year's Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament III, the prize for winning the tournament, in addition to the Mildred Burke Invitational Trophy, will be a match for the NWA North American Women's Championship, currently held by Joan Weston. Here is the bracket for the tournament, starting January 14:

spacer.png

Now for the predictions:  😎

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament III

First Round - West Division bracket

Joyce Fowler vs. Panama Franco

Sylvia Hackney vs. Margot Bouchard

Julie Patrick vs. Judy Sowinski

Earlene Brown vs. Jan Vallow

Non-tournament matches:

Gwen Miller vs. Ashley Sinclair

Renée Martel & France Gall vs. Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara*

NWA United States Women's Championship

Judy Arnold (C) vs. Jane O'Brien**

* Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara won a tournament in November 1968 in Anaheim, California to win the vacant NWA United States Women's Tag Team Championship (formerly the AGWA United States Tag Team Championship); this match will be non-title.

** Jane O'Brien, a trainee of Mildred Burke both IRL and ITTL who began her career around 1966, is best remembered IRL for facing Yumi Ikeshita on September 1, 1977 in Honolulu, Hawaii to determine the first Hawaiian Pacific Women's Champion (that title was later renamed the All Japan Women All Pacific Championship when AJW took control of the title as its secondary singles belt in December 1979).

Edited by Old School Fan
Link added
  • Like 1

First Round - West Division bracket

Joyce Fowler vs. Panama Franco

Sylvia Hackney vs. Margot Bouchard

Julie Patrick vs. Judy Sowinski

Earlene Brown vs. Jan Vallow

Non-tournament matches:

Gwen Miller vs. Ashley Sinclair

Renée Martel & France Gall vs. Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara*

Judy Arnold (C) vs. Jane O'Brien

spacer.png

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament III - Night One @ Anaheim Convention Center Arena
January 14, 1969 - Anaheim, California
Attendance - 6,516

spacer.png

NOTE: Highlights from these matches were taped to air on the syndicated AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling on the weekend of January 18.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, West Division - First Round

Joyce Fowler, competing in her first Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament following her defection from Fabulous Moolah's camp last year, made a good first showing in that event as she defeated Panama Franco by pinfall following a high knee off the ropes.

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Margot Bouchard (with "The Queen" Mae Young) defeated Sylvia Hackney by pinfall following a spinebuster slam.

Ashley Sinclair used a headscissors to defeat Gwen Miller by submission.  During the match, a flamboyantly-dressed, Mod-looking character, who AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling host Dick Lane quickly recognized as wrestler Robin Ascott, came out to ringside carrying a notebook and discreetly observed the match while standing in the aisle to the ring, presumably to scout its participants and take notes.

Judy Sowinski defeated Julie Patrick by pinfall following a neckbreaker.

Earlene Brown defeated Jan Vallow by pinfall following a big splash.

In a non-title match in the TV main event, Renée Martel & France Gall defeated NWA United States Women's Tag Team Champions Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara when Gall scored the upset pin on O'Hara following a flying dropkick off the second rope while Martel ran in to keep Sherill from interfering with the pinfall.  While that match was going on, Robin Ascott showed up at ringside once again to observe the match and take notes on the combatants.

Post-taping dark match

Judy Arnold (C) defeated Jane O'Brien by disqualification when O'Brien threw the referee aside as he tried to stop her from getting too aggressive against Arnold.  The two ladies continued brawling post-match for a few moments until Arnold flattened O'Brien with a flying clothesline off the ropes and chased her out of the ring.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

The Blonde Bomber - 7/7

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 78/107

The Blonde Bomber - 49/57

Lord Byron - 43/61

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

spacer.png

American Girls' Wrestling Association @ Centennial Coliseum
January 17, 1969 - Reno, Nevada
Attendance - 4,738

spacer.png

Texas Red fought Panama Franco to a time-limit draw.

Jane O'Brien defeated Gwen Miller by pinfall following a powerslam.

Margot Bouchard (with "the Queen" Mae Young") defeated Julie Patrick by pinfall following an elbow drop.

Two out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Joyce Fowler, Renée Martel & France Gall defeated Judy Sowinski, Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara, two falls to one.

• First fall - Sowinski pinned Gall following a full-Nelson slam.
  • Second fall - Fowler pinned O'Hara following a high knee off the ropes.
  • Third fall - Martel forced Sherill's submission with the Alligator Clutch while Fowler and Gall ran in to keep Sowinski and O'Hara from interfering.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Judy Arnold (C) defeated Georgia Hase (with Mae Young) by disqualification when Margot Bouchard ran in and attacked Arnold as she had Hase caught in a spinning toehold; Hase and Bouchard, under Young's direction, continued their double-team attack on Arnold until Joyce Fowler and Renée Martel ran in for the save for Arnold.

spacer.png

American Girls' Wrestling Association @ Las Vegas Convention Center
January 18, 1969 - Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance - 6,975

spacer.png

Panama Franco defeated Gwen Miller by pinfall.

Judy Sowinski & Jane O'Brien defeated Julie Patrick & Texas Red when O'Brien pinned Red following a powerslam.

AGWA Television Championship

Georgia Hase (C) (with "the Queen" Mae Young") drew Joyce Fowler when both women were counted out while brawling outside the ring.

NWA United States Women's Tag Team Championship - Two out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Renée Martel & France Gall defeated Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara (C), two falls to one.

• First fall - O'Hara pinned Gall following a clothesline to the back of the head.
  • Second fall - Martel pinned O'Hara following a flying forearm smash off the ropes.
  • Third fall - Sherill and O'Hara were disqualified when Sherill was caught using a foreign object on Martel as she had O'Hara trapped in the Alligator Clutch (Sherill & O'Hara retain their title due to the DQ).

Judy Arnold (C) defeated Margot Bouchard (with Mae Young) by disqualification when Bouchard clocked the referee as he tried to stop her from choking Arnold with her foot against the bottom rope; Bouchard continued her attack on Arnold post-match until she was chased out by Renée Martel.

• Like 1

The updated tournament bracket for Night Two of Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament III on January 21:

spacer.png

Prediction time once again:  😎

First Round - East Division bracket

Texas Red vs. Jane O'Brien

Valerie Blackard vs. Lucille Dupree

Renée Martel vs. Georgia Hase

Ann Calvello vs. Mary Jane Mull

Non-tournament matches:

Sylvia Hackney & Kathy Starr vs. Mae Young & Margot Bouchard

California Women's Championship

Betty Niccoli (C) vs. Earlene Brown

Judy Arnold (C) vs. Baby Rocco

• Like 1

First Round - East Division bracket

Texas Red vs. Jane O'Brien

Valerie Blackard vs. Lucille Dupree

Renée Martel vs. Georgia Hase

Ann Calvello vs. Mary Jane Mull

Jane O'Brien seems like a qulaity talent so making past round one is clear to me. Lucille Dupree is a shot in the dark. My instincts told me go with Renee, but I think Georgia vs Ann would be more sensible cause of the history between them via Queens Court.

Non-tournament matches:

Sylvia Hackney & Kathy Starr vs. Mae Young & Margot Bouchard

Betty Niccoli (C) vs. Earlene Brown

Judy Arnold (C) vs. Baby Rocco

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:46 PM, kinnikuniverse said:

Wonder who this ascott guy is and what his deal is...

On 1/22/2023 at 8:36 PM, The Blonde Bomber said:

My instincts told me go with Renee, but I think Georgia vs Ann would be more sensible cause of the history between them via Queens Court.

Both of which will be answered in the upcoming post...  😎

spacer.png

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament III - Night Two @ Anaheim Convention Center Arena
January 21, 1969 - Anaheim, California
Attendance - 6,730

spacer.png

NOTE: Highlights from these matches were taped to air on AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling on the weekend of January 25.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, East Division - First Round

Jane O'Brien overwhelmed and defeated Texas Red by pinfall following a powerslam.  During the match, Robin Ascott, who had twice shown up at ringside during matches last week to do some note-taking, put in an appearance once again as he showed up to take notes and do some potential scouting.

Valerie Blackard defeated Lucille Dupree by pinfall following a belly-to-belly suplex.

Mae Young & Margot Bouchard defeated Sylvia Hackney & Kathy Starr when Bouchard pinned Starr following a spinebuster slam.  During a ringside interview with Dick Lane post-match, Bouchard talked about her first-round win over Hackney in the tournament last week, then proclaimed that she would do the same to Joyce Fowler when they meet next week in the quarterfinals, declaring that she would make up for losing last year's tournament to Renée Martel and that this year would be her time to rise to the top and claim victory in the tournament.

During the introductions for the next match in the tournament, pitting Renée against Georgia Hase, Robin Ascott put in another appearance, this time stepping into the ring and demanding the arena microphone, which the ring announcer then handed to him before Ascott began addressing the arena crowd:

spacer.pngspacer.png

ROBIN ASCOTT:  Now, all of you here may be wondering why I'm here and why I have asked for time to speak.  Many of you may have seen me coming out to ringside last week, or even tonight, to scout the matches and take notes on their participants.  You may even be wondering who I am or why I'm here now.  Well, for all of you inquiring minds who need to know, my friends and my inner circle sometimes refer to me as the Count of Carnaby Street, or even the Marquis of Mod - but you may refer to me as Sir Robin Ascott.  (Some of the fans in attendance begin booing as Ascott takes a bow)  I've been doing some scouting of the matches in your organization because I plan to establish my own little group of the finest of female wrestlers to manage and oversee, and some of the ladies I view as candidates have looked promising so far.  But now, this brings me to another reason why I now stand before you in all my moddish splendor, and that particularly involves one of the participants in this match - one Renée Martel.  (A puzzled Renée then points at herself, mouthing the word "Me?" as she looks at Ascott, who then continues)  That's right, my dear.  You're listed as one of the participants in this tournament, a tournament which you won last year and for which you've been favored to repeat as champion - ah, but alas, I must inform you that you cannot be a participant this year, my dear lady.  (More fans then begin booing Ascott as Renée marches over to him)

RENÉE MARTEL:  (Not looking pleased)  Okay, Ascott, what's the joke?  Why...

ASCOTT:  (Interrupting Renée)  Excuse me, that's Sir Robin to you.

MARTEL:  Like I was saying, are you trying to say I'm not allowed to take part in the tournament this year?  Don't yank my chain, Ascott, because if this is a joke, it's not funny.

ASCOTT:  Oh, I can most certainly assure you this is no joke, my dear.  You see, I have this document here that will confirm what I've been telling you.  (Ascott then produces a sheet of paper from his coat and unfolds it to read)  According to this, it says, and I quote, "Participants in the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament who won the tournament in the immediate preceding year are thereby ineligible to take part in the current year's version of the tournament."  (The booing from the fans resumes as Ascott then hands the paper to the referee for him and Renée to read, and Renée clearly looks displeased as she finishes reading)  As you can see, this document is quite legitimate and legally binding - so, my dear, if you have no legitimate reason for being out here now, then you need to skedaddle back to your dressing room and reflect on this moment while someone else more worthy takes your place.  (As Ascott speaks, France Gall runs out to the ring and goes to Renée, then whispers something in her ear while glancing and pointing at Ascott, at which Renée then nods and asks for the arena mic)

MARTEL:  Alright, Ascott, I think there's something fishy about all that you're claiming about that piece of paper you got, but if I can't take part in the tournament myself, then I got someone here with me who'll accept taking my place - France Gall!  (France then says something to the referee in French, mixed in with a bit of broken English, as she points at Ascott, then at Georgia Hase and Mae Young as they stand in the opposite corner; after Renée confers with the referee while translating for France, the ref nods and gives the go-ahead for the substitution)

ASCOTT:  (Not looking too pleased at first, but then smirking)  Well, if you must, you must - now, let the festivities begin!  (Ascott then exits the ring with a flourish as the ring announcer introduces France as Renée's replacement in the tournament)

Georgia Hase (with "The Queen" Mae Young") made short work of France Gall (subbing for Renée Martel due to the latter being forced to drop out of the tournament) by stunning Gall with a knee lift to score the pinfall win.  Hase attempted to further rough up Gall post-match, but Renée quickly put an end to that as she ran in to make the save for France and chase out Hase.

Ann Calvello defeated Mary Jane Mull by pinfall following a leg lariat.

Betty Niccoli (C) retained her title in the TV main event as she defeated Earlene Brown, the presumed favorite to dethrone Niccoli, via countout when Brown's archrival Baby Rocco showed up at ringside and baited Brown into coming out to ringside, where Rocco provoked her foe into a brawl that raged around the ringside area, keeping Brown out of the match long enough to get counted out and denied the title.

Post-taping dark match

Judy Arnold (C), despite being outweighed by about 85 pounds, defeated Baby Rocco (with Mae Young) by disqualification when Young ran in and attacked Arnold as she had a sleeperhold locked on Rocco; Georgia Hase and Margot Bouchard then joined in to make it three-on-one against Arnold post-match until Earlene Brown, Ann Calvello, Renée Martel and France Gall ran in to chase out the Queen's Court for the save.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

The Blonde Bomber - 5/7

Lord Byron - 4/7

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 78/107

The Blonde Bomber - 54/64

Lord Byron - 47/68

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

Edited by Old School Fan
Slight fix of paragraph formatting

It's bonus content time again:  😁

From a January 1969 AGWA arena program, here's a look at an updated listing of stations carrying AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling at that point; in addition to the stations already listed from the original listing a few pages back, Mildred Burke has been hard at work expanding her show's syndication network as she has since added new stations to the lineup (which are listed below KOB-TV in Albuquerque), including even adding some Spanish-language stations in a few cities (airing under the name Lucha Libre Femenil de AGWA, with the original footage dubbed over with Spanish commentary) to appeal to the Hispanic wrestling fanbase, as well as adding its first Canadian station (as well as two American border stations broadcasting into Canada):

spacer.png

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 2

On another non-tournament night, the ladies of the AGWA hit the road once again for a house show...

spacer.png

American Girls' Wrestling Association @ Orange Pavilion
January 24, 1969 - San Bernardino, California
Attendance - 5,640

spacer.png

Jane O'Brien defeated France Gall by pinfall following a powerslam.

Ann Calvello used the leg lariat to floor Ashley Sinclair and get the pinfall win.

NWA United States Women's Tag Team Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
In a battle between two heel teams, Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara (C) were surprisingly cheered by the fans as they fought Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard (with "The Queen" Mae Young) to a no-contest when, after each scoring one fall, both teams were disqualified in the third fall for excessive brawling and when Sherill and Bouchard each slugged the referee in turn as he tried to break up the brawl.

Betty Niccoli (C) narrowly retained her title as she battled Renée Martel to a time-limit draw.

Judy Arnold (C) defeated Judy Sowinski by submission to a spinning toehold.

• Like 2