(DOTM) New York is Always a Good Idea (Cverse)

NYCW Empire Title: Thom Barrowman vs. Angry Gilmore ©

American Machine vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

NYCW Tag Team Titles: The LA Stars vs. Cross River Connection ©

Bart Biggins vs. Richie Riggins

Brutus Milano, Sal DiMeo & Spike Sylvain vs. Honest Enterprises (Harper, Kobe & Frank Jr.)

NYCW Tri-State Title: Denny King vs. Danny Hagman ©

Charlie Corner vs. The Masked Mauler

Freedom Eagle vs. Howlin Mad Mort

Davis Wayne Newton vs. Greg Black

NYCW Summer in the City 2022

NYCW Empire Title: Thom Barrowman vs. Angry Gilmore ©

Gilmore is money for a now larger Indy, so no reason to change it.

American Machine vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

Riley was ripped off of the COTT World Title so he cements himself as the next contender to Angry.

NYCW Tag Team Titles: The LA Stars vs. Cross River Connection ©

Two face tag teams which I don’t really like and the match will likely (perhaps) suffer, but I think it’s been a long while since the Stars were champs and they are without a doubt the best tag team in the COTT.

Bart Biggins vs. Richie Riggins

You’ve made a pretty big star out of Ritchie and he could be the next “Manila envelope” guy, but he gets the win.

Brutus Milano, Sal DiMeo & Spike Sylvain vs. Honest Enterprises (Harper, Kobe & Frank Jr.)

Keep the Mo going, we need more Honest Frank!

NYCW Tri-State Title: Denny King vs. Danny Hagman ©

Simple retainage here

Charlie Corner vs. The Masked Mauler

Corner has been on a roll but I think Mauler needs the win more

Freedom Eagle vs. Howlin Mad Mort

Not a Freedom fan but he is the guy higher up on the card here

Davis Wayne Newton vs. Greg Black

Hell of an opener and tough to pick. I think I’ll go with DWN as he has more upside

New York City… Barrowman vs. Gilmore IV…

NYCW Summer in the City 2022

Sunday, Week 4, June 2022

McGraw Arena, New York City, New York

Attendance: 5,000 (SOLD OUT!?!)

SINGLES MATCH: Davis Wayne Newton vs. Greg Black

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Greg Black defeated Davis Wayne Newton in 20:13 by pinfall with a Fade To Black.

Rating: 46

So not only was this a heel vs. heel gamble of an opener. They also don’t click as opponents. The match was hugely underwhelming to say the least. But at least the right person won. DWN has a bright future in NYCW. Greg Black was someone I was struggling to find a use for long-term.

SINGLES MATCH: Freedom Eagle vs. Howlin Mad Mort

In a decent match, Freedom Eagle defeated Howlin' Mad Mort in 7:43 by count out.

Rating: 51

Unbelievably this was better than the opener and it ended in a count-out, which no-one likes. Mort was looking more svelte than ever before and that was making his in-ring work better. But Freedom had done a better job of marking himself out as a singles competitor. Watching these two fight and my mind drifted back a couple of years when they were both in successful teams trading the tag team titles between them. Good times.

SINGLES MATCH: Charlie Corner vs. The Masked Mauler

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, The Masked Mauler defeated Charlie Corner in 9:59 by pinfall with a Piledriver.

Rating: 47

A clean win for the old school heel here. A bit of a shock, but Mauler has been carving out a nice niche for himself as a bad ass midcard talent. It’s a rare gift to be able to maintain heat and momentum while losing here and there, which is why wins like this are important.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Denny King vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Danny Hagman defeated Denny King in 9:40 by pinfall with a Missing Piece. Danny Hagman makes defence number six of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

Rating: 58

Clean win for the champion in a superb match. Denny’s losing streak continues as he heads towards his 40th birthday. Danny meanwhile has transcended his underdog face role to become a legitimate in-ring threat and a fired-up young babyface. He’s still a little green, but we were giving him bags of experience in hopes to elevate him further one day.

ANGLE: Honest Enterprises hit the ring. Honest Frank grabs a mic and explains that tonight, the Enterprise would cleanse NYCW of some of their long-time stars. Good guy and bad guy are such old terms; when really we should ask whether these people have lived an honest life. He suspects they haven’t. And they’re about to be punished for it.

Rating: 43

Decent promo, if a little meh. Still the premise of the stable was still good.

GANG WARS MATCH: Brutus Milano, Sal DiMeo & Spike Sylvain vs. Honest Enterprises

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper, Honest Frank Jr. and Magnum Kobe) defeated Brutus Milano, Sal DiMeo and Spike Sylvain in 10:15 when Magnum Kobe submitted Spike Sylvain with a Magnum Deathlock.

Rating: 48

Clean win for the new blood (and Harper) against the classic NYCW stars. Brutus, Sweet Sal and Spike are stalwarts of our roster and I have developed a soft spot for them. But the times they are a changing and they were really surplus to requirements at this stage. But I’d be damned if I was going to fire them.

SINGLES MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. Richie Riggins

In a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, Bart Biggins defeated Richie Riggins in 10:05 by pinfall with a B-Dropper.

Rating: 54

The Epic Biggins/Riggins feud continues. It’s very much a slow-burn compared to the others as neither guy really has any character time. So we rely on the in-ring action, which is decent at the moment. Biggins gets the win here, marking one of only a small number of clean losses for Riggins.

NYCW EMPIRE TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The LA Stars vs. Cross River Connection ©

In a superb match, The LA Stars defeated Cross River Connection in 22:04 when LA Star #2 pinned Prime Time Jack Pryde with a Star Destroyer. The LA Stars win the NYCW Empire Tag Team.

Rating: 63

Tough not to springboard the LA Stars to the tag team titles after their performance at the memorial show. This was a great match between our two best teams and just further solidified our top-notch tag team division for the world to see. For once, I had no complaints.

SINGLES MATCH: American Machine vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Riley McManus defeated American Machine in 9:42 by pinfall with a Slingshot Suplex.

Rating: 61

And of course, with no title on the line, Riley gets the clean win over the increasingly old and immobile American Machine. Machine’s time at the top of the card was effectively over, which was a shame because he’d helped us achieve so much. But I was not someone overwhelmed with sentiment and now that the time had come, we’d start to phase him out of major matches and start using him and his gimmick as a special attraction. Riely continues his ascent.

ANGLE: Angry Gilmore cuts a promo hyping up his upcoming match with Thom Barrowman. This is the final match-up. Everything is on the line and frankly, he’s sick of seeing Barrowman’s ugly face everywhere he goes. It’s time for Thommy to put on his big boy pants and take his medicine like the child he is.

Rating: 80

Fiery words. Hopefully it’s backed up in the main event.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Thom Barrowman vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In an exceptional match, Angry Gilmore defeated Thom Barrowman in 22:42 by pinfall with an Anger Management. Angry Gilmore makes defence number four of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

Rating: 37

Well. This was their fourth match-up and was definitely the worst. In fact this might be the worst main event in our company history. This hurt both men, and their feud, and the title and our popularity.

OVERALL RATING: 41

We got a crushingly disappointing 80,515 viewers, we lost popularity in five regions and the Empire title lost 1 prestige. Grim. On the plus side, we made $67,491 profit so I immediately upgraded our music to Licensed and hoped to distract the long-time audience with shiny new things so they’d forget this abomination of a show.

Results:

Theheel - 6/9

KyTeran - 5/9

1PWfan - 3/9

Next time… a new star and a new fitness regime for all…

New York City… where you don’t get anywhere unless you’re at least ripped…

After seeing the sad state of some of our veterans I made the move to bring in a new star in hopes to give everyone a kick up the backside.

NYCW Welcome to New York 6

Sunday, Week 1, July 2022

Attendance: 4,771

SINGLES MATCH: Fro Sure vs. Spike Sylvain

In a bout that had a decent reaction from the crowd but sub-par wrestling, Fro Sure defeated Spike Sylvain in 10:17 by pinfall with a Sure Thing.

Rating: 36

Well, that was a debut. Turns out that these two don’t click, which makes this suck. Turns out debuting with a crappy chemistry note and a bad match is traditional around these parts. Fro Sure was a high-upside superstar in the making.

ANGLE: Fro Sure cuts a backstage promo, introducing himself to Whistler. He’s the mack daddy of the West Coast and soon the people here in New York are going to learn his name. And learn to love him. Just like everybody else does.

Rating: 53

He’d exclusively plied his trade with Grimm SoCal Wrestling for a few years, so we didn’t mind stepping in and giving him access to the COTT as well as our company. I still had high hopes. His cocky babyface act was new and he had a natural charisma to him that I loved.

SINGLES MATCH: Charlie Corner vs. Denny King

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Charlie Corner defeated Denny King in 10:01 by pinfall with a handful of tights.

Charlie Corner back to winning ways as Denny King’s losing streak continues unabated. Still capable of a great match though, so Denny is about as safe as anyone on the roster.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: David Wayne Newton vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a good match, Danny Hagman defeated Davis Wayne Newton in 9:48 by count out. Danny Hagman makes defence number seven of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

Danny uses his nous to keep DWN distracted outside with a member of crowd and gets the cheeky win. These two are the opposite of the openers as they have great chemistry and you better believe I’d be rolling that into a future feud between them.

SINGLES MATCH: Brutus Milano vs. Thom Barrowman

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Thom Barrowman defeated Brutus Milano in 9:36 by pinfall after using a foreign object.

Rating: 60

Thom Barrowman obviously gets the win here in a match short enough that neither man would be gassed. I felt desperately sorry for Barrowman. A terrible main event, a dwindling reserve of strength and only able to beat Milano by cheating.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Cross River Connection vs. Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper & The Masked Mauler)

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, The Masked Mauler and Andrew Harper defeated Cross River Connection in 9:56 when The Masked Mauler pinned Perfect Pepper Pelton with a Piledriver following interference from Honest Frank Jr..

Despite failing to get Corner into their midst; Honest Enterprises officially welcome Mauler into their group and they start with a big win over the former tag team champions. After a title change it’s always good to mix things up and elevate other groups and workers. Enter Honest Enterprises.

ANGLE: Richie Riggins is in the ring The Fantastic Express and he has a microphone.

“Now you listen to me you fat, New York City sweat hogs. The Body has something to say about the so-called GODDAM AMERICAN HERO. Pathetic. He’s tied of being held down by old, broken-down has-beens and tonight he’s breaking the glass ceiling and announcing his arrival as THE man of NYCW. He’s chosen the best tag team in independent wrestling to counter the masked losers who’ve aligned themselves with Broken Down Machine.

Rating: 56

This is more like it. Giving him a bit of space to teach the audience who he is and what he’s like. The answer of course is that he’s an a-hole. But it’s good to know these things for sure.

GANG WARS MATCH: American Machine & The LA Stars vs. Richie Riggins & The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Richie Riggins and The Fantastic Express defeated American Machine and The LA Stars in 20:47 when Richie Riggins pinned American Machine with a Body Bag.

Rating: 62

A clean win in a big match against a top star. Say what you like about The Body, he’s good for his word most of the time.

SINGLES MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bart Biggins defeated Riley McManus in 21:17 by disqualification.

Rating: 59

Riley loses his temper at meeting his match in pure wrestling terms and ends up beating Biggins with a chair until the ref disqualifies him.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Greg Black vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Angry Gilmore defeated Greg Black in 22:48 by pinfall with an Anger Management. Angry Gilmore makes defence number five of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

Simple victory in a ‘play it safe’ main event. I couldn’t afford another bad match and event and I trusted both of these guys to put on a passable match. And that’s exactly what they did.

ANGLE: Angry Gilmore is in the ring giving an interview to Whistler. Riley McManus slides into the ring alongside Greg Black. He’s gesturing at Gilmore about the title. After some back-and-forth insults, they attack, laying Gilmore out two-on-one. Then, Brutus Milano comes out from the back, hits the ring, and cleans house, saving Gilmore.

Rating: 69

Guess whose back… back again…

OVERALL RATING: 62

93,165 viewers tuned in to watch Brutus begin to re-establish himself in the main event. Had I lost my mind? Maybe. But it could be worse, I could be Logan Wolfsbaine who broke his leg and was out for a year. Disaster for the young starlets career. With not a lot else going on, we ploughed ahead.

NYCW Old School Wrestling

Sunday, Week 2, July 2022

Attendance: 5,000 (SOLD OUT!?!)

ANGLE: Fro Sure is out to cut a promo:

“New York City… The Big Apple… A City so great, they named it twice. I gotta say… I like it. It’s chaotic, beautiful and the best. It’s just like me. I just wanted to say, you’re all in for a treat. Welcome, to Fro Sure City…”

Rating: 65

Short and sweet as we try to move Fro Sure on from his less-than-stellar debut. He’s already becoming more popular by the week. I love his upside.

SINGLES MATCH: Fro Sure vs. Denny King

In a bout that had good wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Fro Sure defeated Denny King in 9:54 by pinfall with a Sure Thing.

Rating: 57

That’s more like it. These two have great chemistry and knocked it out the park straight away. Top quality wrestling from an old and new star.

GANG WARS MATCH: Brutus Milano & The LA Stars vs. Greg Black & The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Greg Black and The Fantastic Express defeated Brutus Milano and The LA Stars in 10:02 when Rafe Sashay pinned Brutus Milano with a Forward Russian Legsweep.

Brutus is thrust into a feud with Greg Black and is associating himself with the LA Stars, like a true backstage professional. With this number of quality workers, we were able to hide Brutus Milano, which is always the way to do these things.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Spike Sylvain vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Spike Sylvain defeated Danny Hagman in 9:57 by disqualification after Davis Wayne Newton interfered and hit… Spike Sylvain.

Rating: 50

Newton was on commentary for the match (and was predictably great with that too) and when the time was right, we slid into the ring and after a moment of smiling at Hagman. He hit Spike to cause a disqualification for the champion. Sure it was cheap, but it helped to tell a compelling story.

ANGLE: Honest Enterprises hit the ring and Honest Frank has seen the light. He’s seen the future and it’s at the Cross in the River. Prime Time and Perfect Pepper are the future of wrestling, the future of NYCW and the next obvious additions to his personal roster. With him, they could be champions again. They could rise to the top, surrounded by the talent you see around him.

The Cross River Connection dance their way down to the ring. They thank Frank for the offer, but they’re worried he’ll cramp their style. Plus, they’ve already got friends in New York… and here comes Freedom Eagle.

That’s right, while CRC are titleless, we’re going to see what a feud between them and the Enterprise looks like. I expect some good matches and a fantastic mic battle from this.

GANG WARS MATCH: Freedom Eagle & Cross River Connection vs. Honest Enterprises

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper, Honest Frank Jr. and The Masked Mauler) defeated Freedom Eagle and Cross River Connection in 10:19 when The Masked Mauler submitted Perfect Pepper Pelton with an Iron Claw.

We kick things off with a loss for the heroes. Fantastic stuff.

SINGLES MATCH: American Machine vs. Richie Riggins

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Richie Riggins defeated American Machine in 9:51 by pinfall by using underhanded tactics.

The Body loves to win. And he will always cheat if he can. A decent win for him against the former champ and another step along the path to the Empire Title too.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Angry Gilmore & Bart Biggins vs. Thom Barrowman & Riley McManus

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Thom Barrowman and Riley McManus defeated Angry Gilmore and Bart Biggins in 24:27 when Riley McManus pinned Bart Biggins with a Slingshot Suplex after Fern Hathaway interfered.

Rating: 70

Fern Hathaway is always someone to watch on the outside and here she is sticking her ore in once again. But let’s talk about the match. It was amazing and more than makes up for the recent duds in the main event. This foursome has the ability to deliver in the main event and we were going to use and abuse that for as long as we could

OVERALL RATING: 68

Back up to 99,089 viewers. Good stuff. Backstage after the show, I looked around at the boys and noticed a marked difference in the physiques of the Cross River Connection. I grabbed Prime Time, who was looking more toned than normal and asked him what encouraged him.

“You love big guys,” he said. “Everyone knows it, so we thought it was worth spending more time in the gym. It’s our way of saying thanks.”

Well that was a lovely thing to say. It’s funny that you can never be exactly sure how people perceive you. But I was impressed in the effort they’d gone to. I loved those guys.

Next time… the Bulldog gets his title shot…

New York City… home of rock stars…

I couldn’t believe we were already in August as the year was threatening to get away from me. With the King of New York tournament approaching and a series of top-level feuds beginning to bubble away, I decided to take the first week of the month to figure out a detailed and comprehensive plan for the next two months.

I’d received word that ACPW, our fellow COTT member had reached out and signed The LA Stars to contracts. Part of me was furious that another company were ignoring the unwritten rules of the alliance, but more matches meant more experience for our young team. Plus they’d get to spend time around new fellow ACPW signing; Lucy Stone-McFly. I’d been a huge fan of the Stones for years growing up and any chance I had to get to know them better, the happier I’d be.

Flicking through Pro Wrestling Reporter after finishing my two-month plan, I read articles about the Tommy and Jennifer Cornell divorce, about The Crippler’s rotator cuff injury and subsequent surgery, Straight and True (Jaylon Martin & DT Kingman)’s victory in the Sam Keith Classic XII and how Chris Flynn was injured again, only this time with a broken neck. The later pages of the magazine were dedicated to rumours; Tommy Cornell dating Dawn Gemmell for example. When I saw an advert for a local band performance. It was apparently the start of a two-month tour for Fro-Zen Funk and the Rainbow Collective. I double-took…

Was that Fro Sure on lead guitar?

NYCW Welcome to New York 7

Sunday, Week 1, August 2022

Albany Fields, New York City, New York

Attendance: 5,444

SINGLES MATCH: Billy Chase vs. The Masked Mauler

In a bout that had a decent reaction from the crowd but sub-par wrestling, The Masked Mauler defeated Billy Chase in 8:06 by pinfall with a Piledriver.

Rating: 42

In the absence of Fro Sure, we brought up our most advanced young rookie for a main show moment. Billy Chase, the Native American also known as Wild Red Stallion, was a decent brawler and could one day be a solid midcard talent for us. I suspected that might be his ceiling, but I’ve been wrong before. He gave a great account of himself against Mauler, before finally succumbing to the deadly piledriver.

SINGLES MATCH: Howlin Mad Mort vs. Andrew Harper

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Andrew Harper defeated Howlin' Mad Mort in 7:56 by pinfall with a Spike Slam.

The curse of too many heels strikes again, as the slimmed down Howlin Mad Mort was forced to lose to a fellow heel. Match was great, as the slimmed down Mort had better in-ring stamina.

ANGLE: Sal DiMeo is out after the match in shades and a leather jacket. Mort is on his knees punching the mat in frustration as Sweet Sal approaches.

“Listen to me big fella. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of being ignored round here. I’ve been looking for a new partner to get involved in some… business. I wondered if you were interested?”

Howlin Mad Mort looks at Sal, thinks for a moment and shakes his head.

“That’s ok fella, but if you change your mind, I’m always on the lookout for talent. And you, my friend, have talent.”

Rating: 46

My desperate attempts to make something from nothing right here. It falls on… disinterested ears mainly.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Cross River Connection vs. The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, The Fantastic Express defeated Cross River Connection in 10:06 when Rafe Sashay pinned Perfect Pepper Pelton after using a foreign object.

Rating: 52

Disappointing match between two of our hotter, more talented young teams. But a heel win via cheating puts the Fantastics more in line of a title shot going forward.

SINGLES MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. Thom Barrowman

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bart Biggins defeated Thom Barrowman in 10:01 by disqualification.

Two of our great in-ring workers clash in a good match, which like the previous match, ends in a somewhat sketchy manner. I was trying to heat up Bart a bit for a future feud, and Thom could afford the loss.

GANG WARS MATCH: American Machine, Brutus Milano & Freedom Eagle vs. Richie Riggins, Greg Black & Spike Sylvain

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, American Machine, Brutus Milano and Freedom Eagle defeated Richie Riggins, Greg Black and Spike Sylvain in 10:28 when American Machine pinned Spike Sylvain with an Old Glory.

Poor Richie gets lumbered with a dreadful team and loses. In his defense he walked out on the time towards the end, because he’s become a master of protecting himself in these matches and that’s why he’s one of our fastest-rising stars. Fair play. Crowd were very into this match, even with Brutus included.

SINGLES MATCH: Animal Harker vs. David Wayne Newton

In a decent match, Davis Wayne Newton defeated Animal Harker in 10:28 by submission with a STF after blatantly cheating.

DWN continues to assert himself in our roster with wins. He cheated, but the history books will forget that. What they’ll remember is that he beat midcard gatekeeper Animal Harker.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Denny King vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Danny Hagman defeated Denny King in 22:02 by submission with a Steel Curtain. Danny Hagman makes defence number nine of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

Rating: 50

The Pittsburgh Kid is truly a rising phenomenon in NYCW. He’s come from almost complete obscurity and fought his way to a singles title and is now steamrollering the midcard on his way to becoming a true established name. What was even better is that his in-ring skills are getting better all the time and one day he’d be a bonafide main event star.

NYCW TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Honest Enterprises vs. The LA Stars ©

In a superb match, The LA Stars defeated Honest Enterprises in 9:49 when LA Star #1 pinned Honest Frank Jr. with a Double Stomp. The LA Stars make defence number one of the NYCW Tag Team.

Rating: 64

If there’s one thing I can rely on, it’s The LA Stars putting on a great match against almost any opponent. Here they’re matched with a super green Honest Frank Jr and still-getting-over Magnum Kobe and the match is fantastic.

ANGLE: Angry Gilmore is backstage with Whistler.

“Mr. Gilmore, tonight you are facing one of your toughest match-ups to date. The Georgia Bulldog Riley McManus. How do you feel?”

“I feel angry Whiss. I’m DAMN ANGRY. This punk steps into my ring, with the gall to challenge me for this title? Why? Because he’s got a funky nickname? Or a gorgeous broad? What do I care about that? I’m here for one thing and one thing only; to prove I am the best wrestler in the world today. I’ll leave the nonsense outside the ring to people like The Georgia Pup. But right now, it’s Gilmore’s time.”

Rating: 81

NYCW EMPIRE TITLE MATCH: ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In an exceptional match, Angry Gilmore defeated Riley McManus in 22:19 by pinfall with an Anger Management. Angry Gilmore makes defence number six of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

Rating: 68

Fantastic match between these two supreme talents. Never let it be said I don’t know when to move the title at the right time. Angry is the most popular, talented and versatile worker on the roster. And with the likes of Barrowman and McManus he also has some of the best opponents.

OVERALL RATING: 67

We were back on the rise with 100,196 viewers, which was good. Freedom Eagle wanted a pay rise to $520, while Spike wanted $350 and we’d happily give in to both demands. In somewhat disheartening news, LA Star #2 relocated to Quebec to be closer to ACPW. Perhaps I shouldn’t have offered to pay for the travel of my boys. But I’m a generous soul and Larry doesn’t allow us to offer many perks.

Sunday, Week 2, August 2022

Albany Fields, New York City, New York

Attendance: 6,273

SINGLES MATCH: Animal Harker vs. David Wayne Newton

In a decent match, Davis Wayne Newton defeated Animal Harker in 10:01 by pinfall with a Fisherman's Suplex.

The rematch is even better than their first match and this time DWN gets the win clean to further establish himself. Harker had the upside (and curse) of easily connecting with the crowd, so could lose indefinitely and still be popular and over.

SINGLES MATCH: Charlie Corner vs. The Masked Mauler

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, The Masked Mauler defeated Charlie Corner in 9:38 by pinfall by using underhanded tactics.

Rating: 49

Mauler and Corner are somehow connected in my booking head. The two of them just look right fighting one another and I could easily see this feud lasting an eternity if I wasn’t careful. The matches were decent, but I’m not sure it was great for either man’s growth going forward.

ANGLE: Sweet Sal is out to once again offer Mort a spot in a new team he’s forming. He’s got the work lined up, he just needs some muscle. Mort thinks about it again and politely refuses.

SINGLES MATCH: Brutus Milano vs. Howlin Mad Mort

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Brutus Milano defeated Howlin' Mad Mort in 9:55 by submission with an Italian Backbreaker.

Poor Mort. He just cannot buy a win right now.

SINGLES MATCH: Freedom Eagle vs. Greg Black

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Greg Black defeated Freedom Eagle in 10:26 by pinfall with a Fade To Black.

Rating: 55

A decent win for Black who has been struggling to properly establish himself in the roster following the ending of the FREEDOM invasion. It’s a shame because as the leader of the group, the expectation was that he’d be the easy-to-build star. But it looks like DWN is going to claim that spot.

GANG BATTLE MATCH: American Machine, Perfect Pepper Pelton & The LA Stars vs. Richie Riggins, Andrew Harper & The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Richie Riggins, Andrew Harper and The Fantastic Express defeated American Machine, Perfect Pepper Pelton and The LA Stars in 9:34 when Andrew Harper pinned American Machine with a Spike Slam.

Fantastic match including eight stars from our roster. Riggins stays to the end of the match and his team won. Even better was for Andrew Harper who claimed a big pinfall against the former Empire Champion.

ANGLE: Prime Time Jack Pryde is backstage as Pepper walks by.

“Sorry about the loss there Pep,” he says.

“Don’t worry about that. What’s important is the next match. You’re going to get the win and title for the team right?”

“I certainly hope so.”

“Why so unsure, you’re a legend my dude. You’re the mouth of North, the son of the South, the best in the West and the… yeast in the East…”

“That, got away from you there didn’t it?”

“Sure did Prime Time. What I’m trying to say is; I believe in you bro.”

The two hug.

“That’s a good point Pep.”

Rating: 66

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Prime Time Jack Pryde vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, Danny Hagman defeated Prime Time Jack Pryde in 22:30 by pinfall after using a foreign object. Danny Hagman makes defence number ten of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

Rating: 40

Well that was a disappointment. Aside from Hagman’s sudden cheating to win, the match itself was not great. Somehow two of our hottest young talents couldn’t get their psychology right and the middle of the match dragged horribly. Back to tag team ranks for Prime Time I think.

ANGLE: Bart Biggins is with Whistler. He’s loving life at the moment. He’s winning matches, he’s watching people like The Georgia Bulldog lose matches. The sun is shining. It’s all coming up Biggins at the moment, and tonight, he’s going to get another tick in the W column.

Not many men can pull off smiley babyface these days, but Bart is one of them.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Angry Gilmore & Bart Biggins vs. Thom Barrowman & Riley McManus

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Angry Gilmore and Bart Biggins defeated Thom Barrowman and Riley McManus in 23:02 when Bart Biggins pinned Thom Barrowman with a B-Dropper.

Great match and big pinfall for Biggins.

OVERALL RATING: 67

We got 87,577 viewers, which was great news. But as we planned ahead for Gang Wars, I noticed each day an improvement in the physiques of my boys:

Honest Frank Jr – Muscular

Perfect Pepper Pelton – Ripped

The Masked Mauler – Ripped

LA Star #1 – Muscular

Sal DiMeo – Average

Danny Hagman – Toned

Howlin Mad Mort – Average

I couldn’t believe it. Prime Time and Perfect had obviously told the others about my apparent love for guys who are in shape, and because they’re all closely knit backstage, they’ve all been on a health kick.

The Pro Wrestling Reporter told me that The LA Stars had won the ACPW Tag Team Title, while Cheetah Boy & Seth Whitehead had won the COTT World Tag Team Titles. I remembered the days when I used to hear about the COTT from Larry directly, or even straight from the meetings. I knew we were growing and I was busier than ever before, but still. I’d never felt less involved in the top tier organisation of the company.

This played on my mind all the way up to a week before Gang Wars, when Magnum Kobe distracted me with news that he’d moved to New York permanently. I suddenly felt filled with joy.

Next time… Gang Wars 2022…

New York City… where three-on-three is the soup du jour…

NYCW Gang Wars 2022

Sunday, Week 4, August 2022

Weston College Amphitheatre, New York City, New York

Attendance: 7,102

GANG WARS MATCH: Brutus Milano, Animal Harker & Freedom Eagle vs. Greg Black, Denny King & Spike Sylvain

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Brutus Milano and Animal Harker & Freedom Eagle defeated Greg Black, Denny King and Spike Sylvain in 9:49 when Animal Harker pinned Spike Sylvain with a Stump Piledriver.

A nice opening event win for the faces here against a constantly struggling lower-card heels. Greg Black’s fall continued and I was struggling to care. I actually cared more about the loss for Denny King of all people.

GANG WARS MATCH: Charlie Corner & Cross River Connection vs. Honest Enterprises

In a good match, Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper, The Masked Mauler and Magnum Kobe) defeated Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection in 20:38 when Magnum Kobe pinned Prime Time Jack Pryde with The Glorious Red.

Big win for Honest Enterprises here as the feud between them and the Cross River Connection continues to escalate. The constant attempts by the Enterprise to recruit both Pepper and Prime Time were falling on deaf ears, but would that last forever?

GANG WARS MATCH: Danny Hagman & The LA Stars vs. Davis Wayne Newton & The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Davis Wayne Newton and The Fantastic Express defeated Danny Hagman and The LA Stars in 22:20 when Rafe Sashay pinned Danny Hagman with a Forward Russian Legsweep.

A rare loss for Hagman as The Fantastic Express continue to build their case for being one of the top teams in the entire promotion. DWN’s performance stood out as good, which when you consider the talent on display was amazing.

ANGLE: Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman and Richie Riggins cut a promo hyping their upcoming six man match with Angry Gilmore, American Machine and Bart Biggins. McManus and Barrowman seem furious and focused, while Richie just looks at himself in a mirror for the majority of the segment. When asked a direct question about why they’re going to win, Riggins flexes his bicep and says “That’s why” and walks out.

I had a massive soft spot for Richie. Guy had massively stepped up to the plate since dropping the Tri-State title and the better he did, the more interested I was in pushing him.

GANG WARS MATCH: Angry Gilmore, Bart Biggins & American Machine vs. Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman & Richie Riggins

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman and Richie Riggins defeated Angry Gilmore, Bart Biggins and American Machine in 21:36 when Richie Riggins pinned Bart Biggins with a Body Bag.

Told you I liked Richie. Guy gets the pin on Bart having spent the rest of the show simply admiring himself in a mirror and then most of the match flirting with Cheerleader Nicki on the outside of the ring, shows what a megastar he was becoming.

OVERALL RATING: 63

88,814 viewers tuned in to watch a glorified advert for Richie ‘The Body’ Riggins. And we ended the month with $119,312 profit. Lovely stuff.

Next time… a new team is formed…

New York City… home of criminals for as far as the eye can see…

NYCW Welcome to New York 8

Sunday, Week 1, September 2022

Attendance: 6,818

ANGLE: Sweet Sal is out and he’s happy to introduce his new tag team partner… Eric ‘Howlin Mad’ Mortenson. He’s been looking for a partner in crime for a while, and the mad Canadian cigarette smuggler is exactly what he wanted. Eric used to cut down trees and Sweet Sal is a man who knows how to sell. Together, they are The Chop Shop.

Rating: 48

Cheesy, ridiculous and over-the-top. They fit in perfectly in NYCW.

TAG TEAM MATCH: The Casey Brothers vs. The Chop Shop

In a bout that had a decent reaction from the crowd but sub-par wrestling, The Chop Shop defeated Chuck Casey and Tully Casey in 5:47 when Eric Mortenson pinned Tully Casey with a Tree-Feller.

Rating: 36

We hired back Chuck and Tully for one-night just to put over the new team. Match actually reminded me of our product from 2020 and it’s nice to see how far we’ve come.

SINGLES MATCH: Charlie Corner vs. Denny King

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Charlie Corner defeated Denny King in 9:40 by pinfall with a Corner Cutter.

Rating: 53

Good match-up and a clean win for Charlie.

ANGLE: Honest Enterprises come out to the ring and tonight, they’re extending the hand of peace to the Cross River Connection and their be-masked buddy Freedom Eagle. There’s room in the group for all three men. Eagle, Prime Time and Perfect Pepper come out and for a moment it looks like they’re really thinking about it. But then all three laugh, take off their jackets and call for the bell.

Rating: 47

Looks like Cross River have finally made up their mind. Feud on.

GANG WARS MATCH: Freedom Eagle & Cross River Connection vs. Honest Enterprises

In a good match, Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper, The Masked Mauler and Magnum Kobe) defeated Freedom Eagle and Cross River Connection in 10:17 when Magnum Kobe submitted Perfect Pepper Pelton with a Magnum Deathlock.

Oof! Despite having the upper hand going into the match, it’s Honest Enterprises who pick-up the clean win. Despite being a predominantly midcard stable, the Enterprise (and Kobe in particular) are picking up quite the series of wins. Honest Frank Jr was relegated to ringside work as we’re using him for wrestling on the pre-show to help improve his skills before bringing him back into the fold.

SINGLES MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. Richie Riggins

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Richie Riggins defeated Bart Biggins in 9:42 by pinfall by using underhanded tactics.

Richie smashed his handheld mirror into Bart’s face to knock him out and get the pin. Because he’s 100% a heel and sometimes that’s exactly what the world is asking for. Good match in a series of them for the formerly mediocre in-ring Riggins.

TAG TEAM MATCH: American Machine & Brutus Milano vs. The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, The Fantastic Express defeated American Machine and Brutus Milano in 9:40 when Rafe Sashay pinned American Machine with a Fantastic Flashbang.

Big, big win for the Fantastics here. American Machine’s fall from grace has been as fast as it has been surprising. It doesn’t help that he’s losing stamina in-ring at an alarming rate. As the veterans always say; it’s not a long, drawn out affair; when you can’t go in the ring anymore it happens almost overnight.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Spike Sylvain vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Spike Sylvain defeated Danny Hagman in 10:27 by count out.

Hagman was counted out while fighting DWN outside the ring, which lead to the lamest of all finishes; the count out. Spike probably didn’t gain much from the win. But at least he didn’t lose.

NYCW TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Thom Barrowman & Riley McManus vs. The LA Stars ©

In an exceptional match, The LA Stars defeated Thom Barrowman and Riley McManus in 22:15 when LA Star #2 pinned Thom Barrowman while using the ropes for leverage. The LA Stars make defence number two of the NYCW Tag Team.

Great match and another big win for an NYCW tag team over two established main event stars. Our continued attempts to improve our tag team division were not going unnoticed as the prestige of the titles was rising with each month.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Greg Black vs. Angry Gilmore

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Angry Gilmore defeated Greg Black in 23:13 by pinfall with an Anger Management. Angry Gilmore makes defence number seven of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

Greg Black goes the distance in the match. BUT, the match was a disappointment. Black’s stock was falling as fast as American Machine’s, only he didn’t have the history and popularity of the former champion.

OVERALL RATING: 61

85,354 viewers for that show, which marked a large decrease. Disappointing was not the word. But things could be worse; CWA in Canada had been hit with a bullying scandal, which had crippled their popularity. In the year 2022, you cannot be bullying your staff. I mean, technically you can’t do that at any time. But especially not at the moment.

Sunday, Week 2, September 2022

Attendance: 7,429

COTT WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Denny King vs. Aldous Blackfriar ©

In a good match, Aldous Blackfriar defeated Denny King in 9:53 by pinfall with a Batwing. Aldous Blackfriar makes defence number nine of the COTT World Heavyweight.

We thought we’d thank Denny by giving him a shot at the COTT World Heavyweight Title. It also gave us an opportunity to showcase what the alliance had with Aldous Blackfriar and to be honest, the kid has ‘IT.’ I still couldn’t verbalise ‘IT,’ but I know it when I see it.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Animal Harker & Freedom Eagle vs. The Masked Mauler & Spike Sylvain

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, The Masked Mauler and Spike Sylvain defeated Animal Harker and Freedom Eagle in 9:59 when The Masked Mauler pinned Freedom Eagle with a Piledriver.

Well look at that. Animal Harker and Freedom Eagle have good chemistry. I’m already regretting have them lose clean Mauler and Spike. After the match Spike was officially welcomed into Honest Enterprises as the stable begins the traditional BLOAT element of its existence. Good match though.

SINGLES MATCH: Brutus Milano vs. David Wayne Newton

In a good match, Brutus Milano drew with Davis Wayne Newton in 10:24 following a double disqualification.

I’m now convinced that Brutus Milano occupies a special place in my brain. There’s absolutely no reason he should ever really be in any matches of note, yet when it comes to booking matches, I’m always favourable. This was obviously a chance for DWN to get a clean win over a former champion. And what do I do? I book a draw finish. What is wrong with me?

NYCW TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Fantastic Express vs. The LA Stars ©

In an exceptional match, The LA Stars defeated The Fantastic Express in 9:34 when LA Star #1 pinned Zippy Deverell by using underhanded tactics. The LA Stars make defence number three of the NYCW Tag Team.

Woah! Amazing match. It seems our work building up the success of our tag teams is paying off. With more work these guys could be producing NYCW Match of the Year contenders. LA Stars keep the titles, but only with their fingertips.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Greg Black vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Greg Black defeated Danny Hagman in 9:39 by pinfall with a Fade To Black following interference from Davis Wayne Newton. Greg Black wins the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

You know when you’re booking something and someone asks the finish and you have a moment of distraction. This is the result. In arguably the most surprising outcome in years, stone cold momentum Greg Black defeats seemingly unstoppable Tri-State champion. Should’ve been a DQ, was actually a pinfall. Dammit

COTT WORLD SIX-MAN TITLE MATCH: Charlie Corner & Cross River Connection vs. Invincible Team ©

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection defeated Invincible Team in 9:49 when Charlie Corner pinned Miguel Rivera with a Corner Cutter. Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection win the COTT World Six-Man.

Rating: 45

A title win for Corner and Cross River. The alliance wasn’t at all convinced by Invincible Team, so I agreed to take control of the Six-Man again. Corner is a natural third for the Connection as he fits with their slightly eccentric behaviour. Plus they look the part. This also allows us to build up the feud with Honest Enterprises.

COTT UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH: Andrew Harper vs. Teddy Powell ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Teddy Powell defeated Andrew Harper in 10:01 by pinfall with a Motion Censor following interference from Prime Time Jack Pryde. Teddy Powell makes defence number seven of the COTT United States.

Great match as we consider switching all the COTT belts onto our champions, but know, deep down that it would be bad for business. We still weren’t the biggest promotion in the alliance and if we went rogue, the others could too and that would spell trouble. Playing fair was always a detriment.

COTT WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Chop Shop vs. Cheetah Boy & Seth Whitehead ©

In a decent match, Cheetah Boy and Seth Whitehead defeated The Chop Shop in 9:31 when Cheetah Boy pinned Sal DiMeo with a handful of tights. Cheetah Boy and Seth Whitehead make defence number one of the COTT World Tag Team.

Rating: 45

They might be a new tag team, but they are not The Fantastic Express, so they’re not getting the gold in one of their first matches.

GANG WARS MATCH: Angry Gilmore, American Machine & Bart Biggins vs. Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman & Richie Riggins

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Riley McManus, Richie Riggins and Thom Barrowman defeated Angry Gilmore, American Machine and Bart Biggins in 24:30 when Thom Barrowman pinned Bart Biggins while using the ropes for leverage.

A classic ‘throw them into a big match’ approach pays off beautifully with an awesome match to end the show.

ANGLE: After the match all six men get into a big brawl.

Rating: 70

OVERALL RATING: 68

92,388 viewers was an improvement. As the month came to an end Larry finally gave us a COTT update as Boriken Love Machine Jr had won the COTT United States title in EMLL. Over in GSW Eddie Peak was crowned King of California 2022. We ended the month with a $93,867 profit and immediately had to give the following pay rises:

Davis Wayne Newton to $740

Fro Sure to $400

Danny Hagman to $800

Next time… we begin the build to King of New York 2022…

New York City… where we’d got so big in some areas we couldn’t get any bigger…

That’s right, the last show was the first for us to receive a message saying that our growth had been restricted in one region because of limited numbers. I didn’t know quite what it meant, but I didn’t like it. It might be time to look into a TV show on a bigger network.

For now though, we were heading towards The King of New York tournament and we had a number of big feuds peaking beautifully towards the end of the year Showdown. And Fro Sure was back from tour.

NYCW Welcome to New York 9

Sunday, Week 1, October 2022

Attendance: 8,081

SINGLES MATCH: Fro Sure vs. Davis Wayne Newton

In a bout that had good wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Fro Sure defeated Davis Wayne Newton in 10:10 by pinfall with a Sure Thing following interference from Danny Hagman.

Having cost him the Tri-State title, DWN gets his immediate comeuppance. Fro Sure returns and picks up where he left off. This match was a superb opener too as the future looked bright for NYCW with this talent.

ANGLE: Davis Wayne Newton grabs a microphone and he’s disgusted by the cheating Pittsburgh Punk. But mark his words; when you threaten the pride of Canada, you always, always lose. Hagman is going to have to grow eyes in the back of his head.

SINGLES MATCH: Animal Harker vs. Denny King

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Animal Harker defeated Denny King in 8:19 by pinfall with a Stump Piledriver.

Solid midcard action between two of our solid in-ring workers with little else going on.

ANGLE: Backstage the Cross River Connection and Charlie Corner are admiring their new titles, when Whistler approaches for an interview. Prime Time puts his hand up to stop Whistler talking.

“Whiss, old buddy, old friend, old pal. Now is not the time for your questions. Just look at what we’ve got here. These shiny new titles should answer any questions you have.”

“Prime Time is right,” Charlie adds. “Y’know people have been asking me; when you gonna make a name for yourself out East. When’s the big win coming? Well my dude’s, Charlie’s only gone and done it.”

“Too true,” Perfect Pepper adds. “I mean, I feel bad for those Dishonest guys because I bet they’d love these titles. But as my dear old grandma used to say when it came to gold. Finders keepers, losers sleepers.”

“Don’t you mean weepers?” Whistler asks.

“Whiss, you’re old. But you definitely didn’t know Grandma Perfect. That’s some fake news.”

Everyone else just stands and stares at Whistler who finally apologises.

Rating: 67

COTT WORLD SIX-MAN TITLE MATCH: Spike Sylvain & The Chop Shop vs. Charlie Corner & Cross River Connection ©

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection defeated Spike Sylvain and The Chop Shop in 10:11 when Charlie Corner pinned Sal DiMeo with a Corner Cutter. Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection make defence number three of the COTT World Six-Man.

It seems that the Charlie and the CRC have been touring and getting wins. And here’s another as we firmly establish The Chop Shop as our new job team. We’d probably move them slowly up the card in time. But for now we were focused on LA Stars, Fantastics, CRC and Honest Enterprises.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Freedom Eagle vs. Greg Black ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Greg Black defeated Freedom Eagle in 9:32 by pinfall, illegally using the ropes for leverage. Greg Black makes defence number one of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

Having accidentally put the title on Greg Black, I didn’t want to ruin the prestige by having him drop it immediately. I hate the quick switch in anything other than specific circumstances. And certainly not to bail me out from my own stupidity.

In an exceptional match, The Fantastic Express defeated The LA Stars in 9:48 when LA Star #1 was disqualified while fighting Rafe Sashay.

Rating: 74

YES!!!!! Check out that match. Holy moly. Our Best. Match. Ever. On a throwaway show before one of our big events. Isn’t that always the way. It even got this result with a cheap finish and no title change. I was mildly concerned moving the Fantastics into the CRC spot, but turns out I had no reason to be. Incredible stuff all round, with LA Star #1 in particular bringing the goods.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: The Masked Mauler vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Angry Gilmore defeated The Masked Mauler in 22:40 by pinfall with an Anger Management. Angry Gilmore makes defence number eight of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

This was obviously going to bomb after the tag team match. I felt sorry for Masked Mauler, who stepped into a big match a bit cold. Angry Gilmore has been talking to me backstage about how much upside he thinks Mauler has. So I gave him a chance to impress.

ANGLE: Angry Gilmore has mic after the match having barely broken a sweat. He knows that The Georgia Pup wants the title more than he wants to breath. And he can respect that. But if he thinks he’s going to get the title off him, well the champ has news for him. He doesn’t have the mental strength to do it. He’s a cheat, he’s weak and when push comes to shove, Angry Gilmore always gets the win.

Rating: 78

GANG BATTLE MATCH: American Machine, Bart Biggins, Danny Hagman & Brutus Milano vs. Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman, Richie Riggins & Andrew Harper

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, American Machine, Bart Biggins, Danny Hagman and Brutus Milano drew with Richie Riggins, Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman and Andrew Harper in 21:39 when the referee lost control and stopped the match.

This was disappointing and I had no one by myself to blame. I would of course publicly blame Brutus Milano.

Once again just a 15 region increase. Also a disappointing 89,258 viewers considering we had our best match ever. Despite that, LA Star #1 wanted a pay rise to $1,040 and while that number was shocking, a quick look at his matches, skills and popularity showed that he’d risen very high in a short space of time. Was he a potential break-out star?

Sunday, Week 2, October 2022

Attendance: 8,433

SINGLES MATCH: Brutus Milano vs. Denny King

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Brutus Milano defeated Denny King in 10:19 by submission with an Italian Backbreaker.

No matter what else is happening, Brutus always gets wins. I actually think I was having an aneurism.

GANG WARS MATCH: Charlie Corner, Freedom Eagle & Fro Sure vs. Honest Enterprises

In a good match, Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper, The Masked Mauler and Magnum Kobe) defeated Charlie Corner, Freedom Eagle and Fro Sure in 10:22 when Andrew Harper pinned Fro Sure with a Spike Slam.

Charlie Corner couldn’t get CRC on his side for the evening, so brought in two of his other Dudes to go up against the best Honest Enterprises has to offer. And predictably, the red hot heel stable got the win. Good match and a loss for Fro Sure as I’m keen to passive-aggressively let him know that touring with a band was not a good use of his time.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Perfect Pepper Pelton vs. Greg Black ©

In a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, Greg Black defeated Perfect Pepper Pelton in 9:40 by pinfall by using underhanded tactics. Greg Black makes defence number two of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

Now a little test for Perfect Pepper in singles competition and the results were not amazing. They were fine, don’t get me wrong, but it’s good to know when tag team wrestlers should consider singles runs. Clearly not yet for CRC.

SINGLES MATCH: Prime Time Jack Pryde vs. Thom Barrowman

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Thom Barrowman defeated Prime Time Jack Pryde in 10:27 by pinfall, illegally using the ropes for leverage.

This was better, but Prime Time had a better opponent. On the plus side, he establishes his credentials if we ever choose to go that route by pushing Barrowman to have to cheat to win.

TAG TEAM MATCH: American Machine & Danny Hagman vs. Richie Riggins & Davis Wayne Newton

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Richie Riggins and Davis Wayne Newton defeated American Machine and Danny Hagman in 10:28 when Davis Wayne Newton pinned Danny Hagman with a Fisherman's Suplex.

Clean win for the heels and a pinfall over Hagman for DWN. Great match too as we were able to mask American Machine’s lack of stamina with the talent of the others.

ANGLE: Riley McManus and Fern Hathaway are backstage with Whistler and Riley is asked about New York City Showdown.

“I haven’t spoken much this year Whistler,” he says in downbeat way. “You see a year ago, I was screwed out of the King of New York tournament title and busted out of the main event. I was ready for the Empire Title and yet, I ended up facing a former champion instead. One I dispatched without breaking a sweat. All year I’ve been trying to get back to my rightful place. I refocused my efforts and put everything I have into being better. I always knew I was the best, but I didn’t have the luck that others around here rely on. So I worked harder to reduce the element of luck. And now; now the luck has run out. Angry Gilmore is a champion, no denying, but he’s not a Bulldog and once I have won the King of New York, I’ll go on and at New York City Showdown, I finally step up to take my rightful place as the man.”

GANG WARS MATCH: Bart Biggins & The LA Stars vs. Riley McManus & The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bart Biggins and The LA Stars defeated Riley McManus and The Fantastic Express in 21:37 when Bart Biggins pinned Riley McManus with a B-Dropper.

Rating: 66

The tag team title feud and the Biggins/Riggins feud collide and deliver a good match. The heels take the loss, but both teams ultimately win as their momentum remains sky high. Once again LA Star #1 was the standout performer.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Magnum Kobe vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Angry Gilmore defeated Magnum Kobe in 22:28 by pinfall with an Anger Management following interference from Prime Time Jack Pryde. Angry Gilmore makes defence number nine of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

This was disappointing considering the talent involved. I really thought Kobe had won enough to get a better match out of Gilmore. Still, the champ continues his domination.

OVERALL RATING: 64

We seem to be levelling out in terms of viewership as we got 90,540 viewers this time. The news following the show was mixed as we had to give Zippy a pay rise to $880 and Rafe Sashay to $990. LA Star #2 wanted $1,080, which we gave him, only then to find out that his tag team partner had relocated to Calgary Alberta, Canada. Sam Keith’s son Matthew Keith won the BHOTWG World Championship and Riley McManus had changed his bodytype to ‘ripped.’

NYCW The King of New York 2022

KONY Final: A vs. B

KONY SEMI A: 1 vs. 2

KONY SEMI B: 3 vs. 4

KONY Q1: Danny Hagman vs. David Wayne Newton

KONY Q2: American Machine vs. Riley McManus

KONY Q3: Bart Biggins vs. Richie Riggins

KONY Q4: Brutus Milano vs. Thom Barrowman

NYCW Empire Heavyweight Title: Andrew Harper vs. Angry Gilmore ©

NYCW Tag Team Title: The Fantastic Express vs. The LA Stars ©

NYCW Tri-State Title: Fro Sure vs. Greg Black ©

Cross River Connection vs. Honest Enterprises (Magnum Kobe & Masked Mauler)

Next time… regal intent…

I love how you use Brutus - he could easily be midcard to jobber, but you've proved you can work with anyone.

One piece of feedback - I don't know how you're posting so quickly, but it's actually making it hard to keep up. Not sure what you can do with that info as I don't want to slow down your game.

Anyway, I'd love to see the winner of Match 1 win the whole thing next show.

One piece of feedback - I don't know how you're posting so quickly, but it's actually making it hard to keep up. Not sure what you can do with that info as I don't want to slow down your game.

Understood. My problem is free-time is limited and I'm so far ahead with write-ups (December 2023) that I thought I'd dump some in this week to try and keep it within manageable bounds, also never sure how many are actually reading. But I plan to change the formatting heading into 2024, so that'll slow things back down.

Until then, I'll limit it to a post a day barring any crazy changes.

KONY Final: David Wayne Newton

KONY SEMI A: David Wayne Newton

KONY SEMI B: Richie Riggins

NYCW Empire Heavyweight: Magnum Kobe vs. ???

Understood. My problem is free-time is limited and I'm so far ahead with write-ups (December 2023) that I thought I'd dump some in this week to try and keep it within manageable bounds, also never sure how many are actually reading. But I plan to change the formatting heading into 2024, so that'll slow things back down.

Until then, I'll limit it to a post a day barring any crazy changes.

Hey I love it. Yes a lot of info but it’s a good read and easy to follow. Just don’t let Larry die and the story comes to and end.

I'm definitely reading all of them. Always enjoyed your dynasties, never had the discipline to try and mimic them.

It's easy when you get into the flow. You shoudl try it, this type can be really satisfying.

Hey I love it. Yes a lot of info but it’s a good read and easy to follow. Just don’t let Larry die and the story comes to and end.

Well you've got at least another year coming up. Plus I'm still very much enjoying it and have the time, so I'll keep it rolling. Just maybe less 'big dump of text in one go' type. :)

But thank you for the kind words.

KONY Final: Riley McManus vs. Bart Biggins

KONY SEMI A: Danny Hagman vs. Riley McManus

KONY SEMI B: Bart Biggins vs. Thom Barrowman

NYCW Empire Heavyweight: Magnum Kobe vs. Angry Gilmore

KONY Final: Riley McManus vs. Bart Biggins

KONY SEMI B: Bart Biggins vs. Thom Barrowman

I've just realised I've put two Gilmore matches in there. It's just the one match against Andrew Harper. Not Magnum.

KONY Final: Riley vs. Brutus

KONY SEMI B: Richie Riggins vs. Brutus Milano

I stuck with the face-heel divide even though I don’t like the result I came up with. Probably should have gone with Barrowman and Biggins in the opening round, but I didn’t think Richie should go out in rd 1

Looks like double duty for the champ

The Stars are just too good

If Fro Sure hadn’t been gone for 2 months then maybe, but I just don’t think he has earned it yet, even with Black’s “surprise” title win.

Questions I could do with help with from people who no doubt know better?

1. Is the only way to lose the 'Match deserved better colour commentary/announcing' note, can it only go away with people with 100 rating in those skills?

2. What's better East Coast Today (Medium in 4 key ares) or OnDem (Small everywhere)?

3. At what level can I start to see individual wrestlers merchandise results?

New York City… where we play a game of thrones…

NYCW King of New York 2022

Sunday, Week 4, October 2022

Attendance: 9,000

KONY QUARTER FINAL MATCH: Danny Hagman vs. Davis Wayne Newton

In a good match, Danny Hagman defeated Davis Wayne Newton in 7:38 by disqualification.

Rating: 57

We kick-off with these two beating each other senseless, but Hagman getting the edge, causing DWN to go low. He thought the ref was out, but got caught out and DQ’s, much to his annoyance.

KONY QUARTER FINAL MATCH: Brutus Milano vs. Thom Barrowman

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Thom Barrowman defeated Brutus Milano in 8:21 by pinfall with a Guided Missile.

The former king loses to the potential future king in a decent little match. There’s only so much Barrowman can do in a one-on-one and the right man goes through.

KONY QUARTER FINAL MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. Richie Riggins

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bart Biggins defeated Richie Riggins in 7:33 by pinfall with a B-Dropper.

A clean win for Bart puts pay to the incredible streak Richie has been on all year. A great match, but a result that can definitely be classed as an upset.

KONY QUARTER FINAL MATCH: American Machine vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Riley McManus defeated American Machine in 6:20 by pinfall with a Slingshot Suplex.

We kept this short for the sake of American Machine’s heart. But in a rematch of last year’s final and my-oh-my how things have changed. Machine is slower and less focused; McManus looks like a completely different competitor. Chiselled, hungry and with controlled aggression. This was a fantastic short match which encapsulated their long-running feud.

In an exceptional match, The Fantastic Express defeated The LA Stars in 10:28 when Zippy Deverell pinned LA Star #1 after using a foreign object. The Fantastic Express win the NYCW Tag Team.

Rating: 75

And there it is. The best match in our history once again. These two teams have been on a tear for months and this is the final full stop. What an astounding match and yet another one with a tainted finish. Not that The Fantastic Express will care as they finally climb the mountain and complete a journey that started almost a year ago.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Andrew Harper vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Angry Gilmore defeated Andrew Harper in 10:15 by pinfall with an Anger Management. Angry Gilmore makes defence number ten of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

Angry Gilmore continues giving title shots to competitors who might always get one. Harper shows that he’s still got it in terms of talent and popularity. But Gilmore is on a role and heading straight into the main event of New York City Showdown (barring any nasty surprises).

KONY SEMI FINAL MATCH: Danny Hagman vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Riley McManus defeated Danny Hagman in 7:43 by pinfall with a Slingshot Suplex following interference from Davis Wayne Newton.

McManus spoke about luck and then got the biggest stroke of luck as DWN returns to cost his enemy a shot at the crown. This was a solid little match, but was too short to properly get going. The important thing for Riley and Fern is that they’re into the finals for the second year running.

KONY SEMI FINAL MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. Thom Barrowman

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bart Biggins defeated Thom Barrowman in 10:02 by pinfall with a B-Dropper.

And the fairytale run continues in an amazing underdog victory for Biggins. Thom Barrowman, the former champion and the perennial main event star loses clean in the biggest match he’s had since his abomination of a title shot against Gilmore. Biggins however came into this event as a B+ player and is now on the verge of main event stardom.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Fro Sure vs. Greg Black ©

In a good match, Greg Black defeated Fro Sure in 10:08 by pinfall with a Fade To Black. Greg Black makes defence number three of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

The accidental title win has now extended for another month as Greg Black desperately tries to create a name for himself as champion like so many before him. This match was fine, but didn’t blow anyone away.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Honest Enterprises vs. Cross River Connection

In a good match, Cross River Connection defeated Magnum Kobe and The Masked Mauler in 10:07 when Prime Time Jack Pryde pinned Magnum Kobe with a handful of tights.

A smidge of revenge for the CRC as they beat the Enterprise and re-establish themselves as a team to watch.

KING OF NEW YORK TITLE MATCH: Bart Biggins vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Riley McManus defeated Bart Biggins in 23:19 by pinfall with a Slingshot Suplex. Riley McManus wins the NYCW King Of New York.

Despite having the crowd against him and riding his luck to reach the finals, The Georgia Bulldog finally gets the big win he needed and is now heading into New York City Showdown as the challenger for the title he believes he should’ve won a year ago.

ANGLE: After the match, Biggins is lapping up the respectful applause of the crowd and Riley loses his temper. They should be cheering him, so he attacks and along with Fern beats Bart to the ground. Bart’s music (Jump by Van Halen) starts playing and from the entrance, running to save Bart is… Brett Biggins. Having chased off the Bulldog, The Biggins Boys celebrate to the crowd.

Booyah.

96,605 viewers watched the big show and the surprise debut of Brett Biggins as our already awesome tag team ranks swell further with one of the more well-known teams of the last fifteen years.

Results:

KyTeran - 8/11

Theheel - 7/11

Herrbear - 2/11

Next time… the build to Showdown continues…

New York City… where plans are meant to be changed…

The month started with news that Sammy Bach had joined TCW, and closer to home we’d made $168,228 profit. Celeste Moon won the COTT World Women’s Title for her first title reign and we gave pay rises to Richie Riggins ($1,030) and Charlie Corner ($650). With the main event for New York City Showdown set, along with a no doubt inevitable revenge match between DWN and Danny Hagman, we now had to figure out where everyone else fit in, including The Biggins Boys.

NYCW Welcome to New York 9

Sunday, Week 1, November 2022

Attendance: 9,088

TAG TEAM MATCH: The Biggins Boys vs. Spike Sylvain & Denny King

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Quadruple B defeated Spike Sylvain and Denny King in 9:56 when Brett Biggins pinned Denny King with a B-B-Gun.

We start where we ended. The Biggins have lost none of their innate tag team specialism and make short work of the NYCW originals in an amazing opening match. That sort of rating, cold, is truly something to behold. And gave us a bit of a headache with what to do with them for the big show. It was a good problem to have of course.

SINGLES MATCH: Freedom Eagle vs. The Masked Mauler

In a good match, The Masked Mauler defeated Freedom Eagle in 9:41 by pinfall with a Piledriver.

Honest Enterprises are now taking to picking off friends of the CRC. Masked Mauler’s success rate was one of the best of the year, thanks in no small part to the incredible support he had backstage.

SINGLES MATCH: Charlie Corner vs. David Wayne Newton

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Davis Wayne Newton defeated Charlie Corner in 9:59 by submission with a STF after blatantly cheating.

DWN back to his old winning ways. And does it by cheating as poor Charlie loses heading towards the big show. He’s likely be defending the COTT World Six-Man titles with CRC, but still. Loses were a big deal for his character.

TAG TEAM MATCH: Brutus Milano & Fro Sure vs. The Chop Shop

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, The Chop Shop defeated Brutus Milano and Fro Sure in 9:33 when Eric Mortenson pinned Brutus Milano while using the ropes for leverage.

Finally The Chop Shop get a big win. I was maybe a bit bitter about Fro Sure leaving months ago.

SINGLES MATCH: American Machine vs. Andrew Harper

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, American Machine defeated Andrew Harper in 6:02 by pinfall with an Old Glory.

American Machine was barely able to move here and it made me sad. He got the win, but the match was entirely because of the hard work of Andrew Harper.

NYCW TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Cross River Connection vs. The Fantastic Express ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, The Fantastic Express defeated Cross River Connection in 10:25 when Zippy Deverell pinned Prime Time Jack Pryde, illegally using the ropes for leverage. The Fantastic Express make defence number one of the NYCW Tag Team.

CRC take the loss in their chance to become double champions. This was the last match-up between these two teams for a while and it was a good one. But plans for them both were becoming clearer with each match.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Danny Hagman vs. Greg Black ©

In a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, Danny Hagman defeated Greg Black in 21:47 by submission with a Steel Curtain. Danny Hagman wins the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

We finally right the wrong from months ago as Hagman steps back into the title picture in time for the big show and his grudge match with DWN. This was a good match.

GANG WARS MATCH: Angry Gilmore & The LA Stars vs. Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman & Richie Riggins

In an exceptional match, Riley McManus, Thom Barrowman and Richie Riggins defeated Angry Gilmore and The LA Stars in 22:48 when Riley McManus pinned Angry Gilmore with a Slingshot Suplex after Fern Hathaway interfered.

Rating: 67

Moving the LA Stars towards the main event and they brought it. The heel team get the big win, but the fact our former tag team champions can hang in this sort of match was hugely positive.

OVERALL RATING: 66

Good show, but we’re still hovering around the same place. 96,292 viewers and one show to go to wrap up the build.

Sunday, Week 2, November 2022

Attendance: 9,577

FATAL FOURWAY: Animal Harker vs. Brutus Milano vs. Fro Sure vs. Greg Black

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Fro Sure defeated Animal Harker, Brutus Milano and Greg Black in 10:17 when Fro Sure pinned Animal Harker with a Sure Thing.

A rare multi-man singles match and one to get Fro Sure back on the winning route.

COTT WORLD SIX-MAN TITLE MATCH: Honest Enterprises vs. Charlie Corner & Cross River Connection ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection defeated Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper, The Masked Mauler and Magnum Kobe) in 9:53 when Charlie Corner pinned Magnum Kobe while using the ropes for leverage. Charlie Corner and Cross River Connection make defence number eight of the COTT World Six-Man.

Larry had insisted that I should change the planned booking for the big show and wouldn’t explain why. But I’d learnt to trust the old man, especially when it came to things like this. So we moved the title defense up to the build-up show and kept the titles on the champs.

SINGLES MATCH: American Machine vs. Eric Mortenson

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, American Machine defeated Eric Mortenson in 5:35 by pinfall with an Old Glory.

Potentially one last win for the former champion who set us on the path to success we were now on.

NYCW TRI-STATE TITLE MATCH: Sal DiMeo vs. Danny Hagman ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Danny Hagman defeated Sal DiMeo in 9:49 by pinfall with a Missing Piece. Danny Hagman makes defence number one of the NYCW Tri-State Regional.

The Chop Shop were a useful team, because no one expected them to win and we could always split them up like tonight… and have them lose too.

GANG BATTLE MATCH: The LA Stars & The Biggins Boys vs. Thom Barrowman, Richie Riggins & The Fantastic Express

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, The LA Stars and Quadruple B drew with Thom Barrowman, Richie Riggins and The Fantastic Express in 22:09 when the referee lost control and stopped the match.

A great match and a good old fashioned schmozz finish before the big show. All of these guys had important futures in our company and I couldn’t be happier.

SINGLES MATCH: Freedom Eagle vs. ‘The Georgia Bulldog’ Riley McManus

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Riley McManus defeated Freedom Eagle in 22:52 by pinfall with a Slingshot Suplex.

One last clean win for the challenger.

NYCW EMPIRE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Denny King vs. Angry Gilmore ©

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Angry Gilmore defeated Denny King in 21:49 by pinfall with a Sky High Elbow. Angry Gilmore makes defence number eleven of the NYCW Empire Heavyweight.

And one last clean win for the champion.

OVERALL RATING: 61

94,602 viewers is about where we expected for this one. After the show Larry told me that the COTT United States Title was won by Topher Smith in ACPW, who I’d never heard of, but was a good worker. We gave Sweet Sal a pay rise ($600) and watched the highlights of Steve Frehley winning the USPW World Title and Marc Speed winning the King of Kings tournament. As November ended, we checked our finances and we’d made $168,416 profit. And with that, our eyes turned forward.

NYCW New York City Showdown 2022

NYCW Empire Heavyweight: Riley McManus vs. Angry Gilmore ©

COTT World: Thom Barrowman vs. Aldous Blackfriar ©

The LA Stars vs. Honest Enterprises (Andrew Harper & Magnum Kobe)

NYCW Tri-State Regional: Davis Wayne Newton vs. Danny Hagman ©

American Machine vs. Richie Riggins

NYCW Tag Team Titles: The Biggins Boys vs. The Fantastic Express ©

Brutus Milano vs. Greg Black

COTT World Six-Man Titles: The United (Jack Marlowe, Xavier Wreckless & ZomBoy) vs. Charlie Corner & Cross River Connection ©

Fro Sure vs. The Masked Mauler

Animal Harker & Freedom Eagle vs. The Chop Shop

Spike Sylvain vs. Honest Frank Jr

Next time… New York City Showdown 2022 and a bonus show for Christmas…

NYCW New York City Showdown 2022

COTT World Six-Man Titles: The United (Jack Marlowe, Xavier Wreckless & ZomBoy) vs. Charlie Corner & Cross River Connection ©