Using the same moves

Have you guys noticed if there's a penalty for using the same moves over and over again instead of mixing it up more. For example, my heavyweight was having good success with the elbow drop (low-level move with high percentage). I thought what the heck, and just kept using it. Then all of a sudden, I couldn't connect on it at all. I lost that match and then in the next match, I still couldn't connect with the elbow drop for any consistency -- hit the first one I tried and then missed on five consecutive attempts. Both opponents were big brawlers, not particular swift or agile, but they kept getting the "Moved" escape. Is this built into the AI, or just a freak stretch of luck with the probabilities?

Freak streak of luck. I've used the same moves more than 20 times consecutively and not experienced anything out of the ordinary. If I'm looking to take someone's legs out, I use the kick to knee/kick to thigh and elbow drop to knee over and over and over and over again. If they move or block it, I'll use another move targeting the same area. I use the nerve pinch, fist drop, and mounted punch flurry repeatedly when trying to bust someone open and don't have any problems there either. If I'm working the arms, it's kick to arm and arm bars for days. Same deal. In fact, I can do the nerve pinch -> fist drop -> -> mounted punch flurry -> pick up opponent -> DDT (repeat) sequence til the cows go home with few issues. Now, if I replace the DDT with an Implant DDT, I will have some problems (for some reason, the implant and roll-inverted get blocked far more often than the regular DDT) but that's not a problem either. What I think is odd though is the fact that about 60% of the time, if I'm in trouble, the crossface gets me out of it (and the win). It's uncanny.

What about a connection to a string of related moves? Talking about going from say any type of arm hold to an arm takedown? Does the arm hold help you with the arm takedown? Or are all the moves/holds an island to themselves and their own probabilities?

[QUOTE=Ron Garvin]What about a connection to a string of related moves? Talking about going from say any type of arm hold to an arm takedown? Does the arm hold help you with the arm takedown? Or are all the moves/holds an island to themselves and their own probabilities?[/QUOTE] There is no chaining of moves, so to speak; they are islands. Still, that's exactly how I play the game: Arm Wringers lead to Arm Wringer Takedowns, which leads to Arm Bars, which leads to... blah, blah. It's all about the logical chain of events when roleplaying the match. Then again, it might also explain why I lose just as much as I win. :)

Archived