WWF: The Monday Night Wars

image.jpeg

Ok, let’s do this one last time.

Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart was a mega star World champion at the World Wrestling Federation. Adored in his home country of Canada but booed relentlessly across the United States, Hart was set to defend his title at Survivor Series 1997 in Montreal against ‘The Heartbreak Kid’ Shawn Michaels. Hart and Michaels had a genuine rivalry and dislike for another – one fight even resulted in a handful of Michaels’ hair being dumped on Vince McMahon’s desk.

Bret had planned on ending his career in the WWF but, due to the company’s ongoing financial concerns, McMahon announced that he could not honour Hart’s sizeable contract and encouraged him to make the move to World Championship Wrestling. There was just one problem: Hart was still the WWF World champion. Discussions were made at length on how best to drop the belt and ‘Hitman’ cited the “reasonable creative control” written into his contract to state that he would not lose the belt to Michaels in Canada.

We all know where this is going.

It was put to Hart that the match would go to a non-finish but instead, with Michaels holding Hart in Bret’s own Sharpshooter hold, the referee called for the bell and awarded Michaels the win by submission. The referee, Earl Hebner, who earlier had sworn on the lives of his children that he would never swerve Bret, ran from the ring and into a waiting car. Hart then spat in Vince McMahon’s face and drew the initials WCW in the air facing the hard camera.

We don’t need any more… oh, we do? Ok, Hart went backstage and went for a shower telling McMahon that if he was still stood there when he got out he was going to punch him in the face. He was and Hart did. He dropped him with one punch and gave McMahon a black eye that was noticeable on Raw the next night.

And that was the Montreal Screwjob. But what does it have to do with this diary? Actually very little. We’re just scene-setting here. Bret was off to a morale-sapping and creatively unstimulating run with WCW and his story is pretty much done, at least in terms of what we’re about to read here. The big fallout was that the WWF - and McMahon in particular - was about to change. Hart was known to be uncomfortable with the more adult direction the company was going in but now the profanity, nudity and controversy was about to accelerate. The Attitude Era was truly ready to begin.

This will be my last attempt at a diary (though I think I’ve said that before). This one will be a little different, an anti-diary if you will. I struggle to come up with match write-ups so they’re gone. I think that diaries with lots of pictures are excellent and commend those with the energy and brilliance to make every show look beautiful - this isn’t going to be that. It’s going to be minimalistic bordering on pointless. My take on the Attitude Era is that it wasn’t so much about the matches but the angles and where the storylines went, so I’ll try and put a little more detail around those.

We begin at the tail end of 1997, the night after Montreal, keeping all the built in storylines:

Gang Wars (Nation of Domination vs Disciples of Apocalypse vs Los Boricuas)

Goldust vs Vader

New Age Outlaws vs Legion of Doom

Austin vs McMahon

Undertaker vs Kane

Obviously I’ll add some of my own along the way. I’m intrigued by what is an awesome main event scene and a damn awful undercard. I’d fallen out of love with pro wrestling by the time the Attitude Era came about so this will be new and a little exciting to me. I know of most of the wrestlers and will try and keep it authentic but for the wrestling historians on here you’re going to spot some errors. Some even on purpose.

If you’ve read all this, thank you. If you plan on reading more then thank you again.

Edited by Bigelow Cartwheel
  • Like 7

image.png

Monday Week 1.  December 1997.

Rochester, NY.

Mr McMahon comes out, his black eye noticeable, and invites the new WWF World champion Shawn Michaels to the ring. The other members of D-Generation X, Triple H and Chyna, accompany him. HBK is arrogant and insulting and says that this is the “Era of DX” which will blow away any lingering cobwebs of the New Generation. Triple H and Chyna back him up. Out comes Stone Cold Steve Austin who hits the ring and all four corners before ignoring DX and getting in Vince’s face. He barks at McMahon asking when there’s gonna be a title match. McMahon is cordial and tells Austin that there won’t be one tonight but there will be one at In Your House. Austin spots Triple H getting too close and hits him with a Stunner. McMahon, HBK and Chyna bail and Austin calls for beers. He pours two down his neck before emptying a third over a fallen Triple H.

Godwinns vs Headbangers – Double CO.

Backstage Marlena pleads with Goldust to “come back home.” Goldust isn’t interested. Luna Vachon barks at her and stands between her and The Bizarre One.

Legion of Doom (w/ Sunny) vs Truth Commission (w/ The Jackal) – Animal pins Recon.

Sunny gets on the mic and challenges the New Age Outlaws to face LOD at In Your House. Out come the Outlaws and they accept the challenge… on the condition that if they win then Sunny has to give them a kiss. Hawk and Animal look unsure but Sunny is confident and agrees.

WWF Light Heavyweight Championship

Brian Christopher vs Scott Taylor vs Flash Funk vs TAKA Michinoku – Flash pins Taylor to claim the vacant title.

Michael Cole is backstage and tells The Rock he will have an Intercontinental championship defence at In Your House against Steve Blackman. The Rock is not impressed. He pretends not to know who Blackman is before looking directly into the camera… and feigning sleep. “That’s what The Rock thinks of you, Steve Blackman. WWF’s answer to NyQuil.”

Steve Blackman vs The Sultan – Blackman wins by submission

The match is over but The Rock has more to say. He climbs up onto the apron and confronts Blackman. It looks as if he’s going to attack him but Blackman leans down and gets his nunchucks from the corner. He invites The Rock to step through the ropes but The Rock drops down, still badmouthing Blackman.

Faarooq vs Chainz – Double DQ, interference from Skull and 8-Ball of Disciples Of Apocalypse and D’Lo and Kama of Nation Of Domination.

Jim Ross: “It seems as if these two factions have been feuding since the dawn of time. Bah gawd, when will the carnage end?”

Mr McMahon is back out and has a message for Steve Austin. He tells Stone Cold he isn’t impressed with his beer stunt and that he won’t be in the No.1 Contendership match later tonight. Austin comes out and McMahon announces that instead Austin will be facing Triple H in a match at In Your House. This brings out D-Generation X. DX hit the stage and aim crotch chops at ringside. Austin leaves the ring to confront them. Road agents get between the two sides but not before Triple H manages a cheap shot on Austin.

No.1 Contendership Match For The WWF Championship

Owen Hart vs The Undertaker vs Vader – Undertaker pins Vader

Jim Ross: Bah gawd, a hellacious Chokeslam from The Phenom of The WWF! Bah gawd!”

It’s almost time for the main event and DX cut an in ring promo on their opponents Ken Shamrock and Ahmed Johnson. It has little to do with the upcoming match and more about comparing the size of their penises. Chyna says nothing.

D-Generation X (w/ Chyna) vs Ken Shamrock and Ahmed Johnson – Triple H pins Johnson

Austin enters through the crowd, hits the ring and hits Triple H with another Stunner! Michaels and Chyna exit quickly. HBK turns round and almost walks into The Undertaker. Taker hammers Michaels with punches as he flees to the back.

Jim Ross: “The World champion running for his life from The Undertaker! They will meet at In Your House less than one week away! Shawn Michaels! The Undertaker! In Your House! Bah gawd!”

• Like 5

image.png

WWF Championship

Shawn Michaels (c) vs The Undertaker

‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin vs Triple H

Owen Hart vs Vader

Stipulation match

WWF World Tag Team Championship

New Age Outlaws (c) vs Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny)

WWF Intercontinental Championship

The Rock (c) vs Steve Blackman

Disciples of Apocalypse (Chainz, Skull and 8-Ball) vs Nation of Domination (Faarooq, D’Lo Brown and Kama Mustafa)

Godwinns vs Headbangers

Flash Funk (c) vs Brian Christopher

PREDICTIONS WELCOME

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Pipers Pit said:

HBK

Austin

Owen

NAO (Would love to see a degenerate heel Sunny screw LOD and switch sides)

Rock

NOD

Godwins 

Grand Master Sexay

Yeah that'd make sense cause sunny was dating Shawn at the time I think. And have flash Funk turn heel, go back to his Scorpio name and join the Nation too.

• Like 1

WWF Championship

Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker

Owen Hart vs Vader

Stipulation match

New Age Outlaws vs Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny)

The Rock vs Steve Blackman

Disciples of Apocalypse (Chainz, Skull and 8-Ball) vs Nation of Domination (Faarooq, D’Lo Brown and Kama Mustafa)

Godwinns vs Headbangers

Flash Funk vs Brian Christopher

• Like 1

"Bah Gawd!" Bigelow Cartwheel is back!

My predictions are below...

On 6/24/2023 at 1:44 AM, Bigelow Cartwheel said:

image.png

WWF Championship

Shawn Michaels

‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin

Owen Hart

Stipulation match

New Age Outlaws

The Rock

Nation of Domination

Headbangers

Brian Christopher

PREDICTIONS WELCOME

Edited by dstephe4
  • Thanks 1

WWF Championship

Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker (by DQ; HBK retains)

Owen Hart vs Vader

Stipulation match

New Age Outlaws vs Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny)

The Rock vs Steve Blackman

Godwinns vs Headbangers

Flash Funk vs Brian Christopher

• Like 1

Hey I have an idea. What if instead of joining gangrel in forming the brood, edge and Christian partner with rhino to form a pseudo-shield faction? They could come to the ring through the crowd wearing swat body armor and leather jackets and be mr. McMahon enforcers and bodyguards when he turns heel who could help him fight Austin and dx, Which would be cool sense I don't think I've seen a e&c vs no match outside of video games. Edge would fill ambrose's role as de facto leader of the group, rhino would be the Roman reigns's muscle and Christian would be Seth Rollins. E&c would of course go after the tag belts but rhino still being a rookie at this stage might benefit by holding the European title.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, sonny912 said:

Hey I have an idea. What if instead of joining gangrel in forming the brood, edge and Christian partner with rhino to form a pseudo-shield faction? They could come to the ring through the crowd wearing swat body armor and leather jackets and be mr. McMahon enforcers and bodyguards when he turns heel who could help him fight Austin and dx, Which would be cool sense I don't think I've seen a e&c vs no match outside of video games. Edge would fill ambrose's role as de facto leader of the group, rhino would be the Roman reigns's muscle and Christian would be Seth Rollins. E&c would of course go after the tag belts but rhino still being a rookie at this stage might benefit by holding the European title.

I like your idea.  Really I do.  But it can't happen (at least in this diary).  Main reasons are that I'm really not a fan of that era of wrestling, just not a Shield fan, at all.  And an even bigger reason:  I love The Brood.  I've no set plans for them yet but I can't see it not happening.  Thank you for the suggestion though, it's appreciated.

WWF IYHouse.jpg

Sunday Week 1.   December 1997.

Austin, TX.

Flash Funk (c) vs Brian Christopher – Flash wins. The champion retains with a Tumbleweed.

Godwinns vs Headbangers – after a double count out on RAW, these two teams have their rematch request granted by WWF President Gorilla Monsoon. Mosh pins Henry Godwinn after a Mosh Pit.

Six Man Tag

Disciples Of Apocalypse (Chainz, Skull and 8-Ball) vs Nation Of Domination (Faarooq, D’Lo and Kama) – Faarooq pins 8-Ball in an absolute slugfest. The referee struggles to maintain order in this match with all six men fighting inside and outside of the ring. Faarooq hits a huge Dominator on 8-Ball for the win.

Promo video to build up The Rock vs Steve Blackman showing clips of The Rock insulting Blackman to Michael Cole and Blackman looking dangerous with his martial arts skills and nunchucks.

The Rock (c) vs Blackman – Rock with a straight forward victory, defeating Blackman with a Rock Bottom.

Stipulation Match

New Age Outlaws (c) vs Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny)

Jim Ross: “Just a reminder, folks, there’s a stipulation to this match. Hawk and Animal get to challenge for the World Tag titles but if they lose tonight Sunny has to give the New Age Outlaws a kiss.”

Jerry Lawler: “I wish it was me she was kissing, JR.”

Brawn versus guile. Sheer power versus throwing out the rule book and doing whatever it takes. LOD take it to the champions with tackles and slams, Hawk coming close to putting Billy Gunn away with a Flying Clothesline. Animal hammers Road Dogg with a flying shoulder block for another close call. The challengers are in control and call for the Doomsday Device but Road Dogg shoves Hawk from the top rope sending him crashing to the outside. The referee’s attention diverted, Gunn hits Animal with a low blow and nails the Famer Asser for the pinfall.

Road Dog tells Sunny she has to kiss Billy Gunn because The Outlaws won the match. Sunny looks uncomfortable but Road Dogg tells her to relax, it only has to be on the cheek. Looking relieved she walks to Billy but he turns and drops his wrestling shorts to reveal a tiny pink thong. Gunn bends over and tells Sunny to plant a smoocher on his behind.

Road Dogg: “Ahhh, I didn’t say which cheek, did I?  You didn’t think we’d let you pucker up and plant a kiss on Billy’s face did you, Sunny? The whole world knows where your lips have been.”

Road Dogg continues to insult Sunny as Billy wiggles his rear closer and closer to her. Sunny looks on the verge of tears. Finally Hawk has had enough and he knocks Road Dogg through the ropes with a clothesline. Animal follows suit and throws Billy over the top rope.

Vader vs Owen Hart – Vader looks to beat Owen down with power moves but the young Hart stays one step ahead in an even contest. Vader ducks an enziguri and powers out of a Sharpshooter attempt. Owen likewise evades a Vader Bomb and comes close with a small package. Finally we see a racket-wielding Jim Cornette jogging down the aisle shortly followed by Goldust.

Jim Ross: “What on earth is going on? The Prince of Polyester with Goldust and Luna?”

Goldust, Luna and Cornette circle the ring. Luna is up on the apron and the referee is demanding she get down. Cornette steps into the ring and throws his tennis racket to Owen… but Vader intercepts. He is about to hit Cornette with it but Goldust runs in and kicks Vader between the legs. The Mastadon doubles up in pain and Owen rolls the big man with a school-boy. One, two, three.

Jim Ross:  "The ref never saw Goldust!"

Jerry Lawler: “He got him, JR!  Right in his Rocky Mountains! Isn't it great to see Corny back? Look how happy he is!”

Vader is furious. He staggers to his feet and lunges at Goldust. The Bizarre One decides it’s time to leave and hurries back down the aisle. Marlena is waiting for him and tries to talk but Luna shoves her out of the way. Goldust doesn’t appear to notice his former manager.

Next is a video recap of the feud between ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin, Mr McMahon and Triple H. It includes several angles of Austin nailing Triple H with a Stone Cold Stunner and dumping beer all over him in the centre of the ring.

‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin vs Triple H (w/ Chyna) – it's a big brawl right from the bell. Austin hammers Hunter with rights and lefts and Triple H returns with a high knee and a neckbreaker. The two brawl outside the ring and just beat the count to make it back inside. Austin ducks Hunter’s clothesline and hits the Stunner… but Mr McMahon is at ringside yelling at the official. ‘Stone Cold’ is distracted and Helmsley attacks him from behind. Back and forth the match continues and Austin hits another Stunner only for McMahon to place Helmsley’s foot on the bottom rope, interrupting the count. Austin sees red and goes for Mr McMahon. He chases his boss round the ring and… straight into a knee from Triple H! Hunter nails the Pedigree on the outside and Austin has until the count of ten to get back in. He rolls in at nine and a half and Triple H is furious with the referee. He has Mike Chioda by his shirt as the terrified ref points to the WWF logo on his chest. Triple H releases him… and walks straight into a Stone Cold Stunner! One! Two! Three!

Video promo for Shawn Michaels versus The Undertaker. It shows Undertaker Chokeslamming and pinning Vader in the Triple Threat Number One Contenders match as well as Michaels running away from him at the end of RAW.

WWF Championship

Shawn Michaels (c) (w/ Chyna) vs The Undertaker

Jim Ross: “The Heartbreak Kid may be, pound for pound, the best wrestler in the world today but – bah gawd - there ain’t no way to prepare for The Undertaker.”

Michaels uses his speed, his agility and his lenient interpretation of the rules to start strong against The Deadman. But Undertaker fights back and walks the top rope…

Jim Ross: “Bah gawd, over 300lbs just came crashing down upon the WWF champion!”

Undertaker hits hard but Michaels thinks quick. He motions to the back and out comes Triple H. Undertaker grabs the champion by the throat and hits an enormous Chokeslam. The referee is out of position for the count though as Triple H continues to argue with him on the apron. Undertaker goes to attack Helmsley but is pulled back… by Kane! Kane hammers Undertaker with big shots and the referee turns to see the two brothers brawling in the centre of the ring. He calls for the bell, awarding Undertaker the victory by disqualification. Kane hits Undertaker with the Tombstone as DX take their leave.

Jim Ross: “Undertaker wins tonight but he won’t like it one bit. Michaels keeps the WWF Championship and lives to fight another day. Paul Bearer is smiling with mischievous glee. What is going on here?”

• Like 4

image.png

Monday Week 2. December 1997

Fort Wayne, IN.

The Undertaker comes out and calls out Kane. He wants to know why Kane attacked him at In Your House last night, costing him his shot at the WWF Championship. Instead D-Generation X answer. Shawn Michaels taunts Undertaker and offers him a match tonight. Not a title match, a tag match against DX.

Shawn Michaels:  (mocking) “Maybe you can get your brother to be your partner.”

Instead of Kane though, there is the sound of breaking glass and ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin hits the ring and says he is going to team with Taker to kick some DX ass.

Brian Christopher vs Scott Taylor vs Aguila – Christopher wins, pins Aguila

The Honky Tonk Man is here wanting to sing his song. The fans are not interested. Not even slightly. HTM strikes a pose he thinks makes him look like Elvis and calls for his music. Only instead of ‘Hunka Hunka Honky Love’ it plays the music of TAKA Michinoku! Down comes TAKA and an angry Honky Tonk Man grabs a referee and demands a match.

Honky Tonk Man vs TAKA Michinoku – TAKA wins with a flash pin out of nowhere

Faarooq, D’Lo and Kama of the Nation Of Domination gather in the ring before their match. Notable by his absence is The Rock.

Faarooq and D’Lo Brown vs Bob Holly and Bart Gunn – D’Lo pins Holly after intf from Kama

Down come the Disciples Of Apocalypse and they brawl with the Nation, three on three. Still no sign of The Rock.

Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny) vs Savio Vega and Miguel Perez Jr – Hawk pins Perez as LOD squash Los Boricuas

After the match Sunny gets on the mic and tells the New Age Outlaws that they’re not finished with them yet.

Backstage Owen Hart cuts a promo on Ahmed Johnson who he’ll be facing later tonight. Owen says he is the most gifted athlete in all of the WWF and that it is his birthright as a Hart to be at the very top.

Jerry Lawler: “You know he’s talking sense, JR.”

Jim Ross: (sarcastically) “Takes a king to know a king, huh?”

Vader vs Marc Mero – Vader wins in a short match.

Vader gets on the mic and demands Goldust in the ring. Instead out comes Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett tells Vader he’s lost his way. He needs to team with Double J and get back his winning mentality. Vader beats Jarrett up and crushes him with a Vader Bomb. He looks like he’s going for a second but Goldust appears from nowhere and breaks Jarrett’s guitar over his head. Jarrett joins in and the two stomp away on Vader. Jim Cornette is seen outside the ring jumping for joy. Marlena is at the stage entrance looking fearful.

Owen Hart vs Ahmed Johnson – Owen wins by pinfall with his feet on the ropes. Classic old school cheating.

D-Generation X (w/ Chyna) vs The Undertaker and Steve Austin – Undertaker and Austin win by DQ as Kane attacks them in full view of the referee.

It’s a three on two advantage as Kane and DX continue to attack Austin and Taker… but down comes Mankind to level the sides! All six men brawl to close out the show.

Jim Ross: “Mankind is back! Bah gawd, Mrs Foley's baby boy! He’s evened the odds and he may just be DX’s worst nightmare!”

• Like 7

image.png

Monday Week 3.  December 1997.

Richmond, VA.

D-Generation X open the show and call out Mankind. They mock Mankind calling him, among other things, a monstrosity that could never be loved and never find happiness. They are stunned however when fire explodes from the ring posts and Kane heads to the ring with Paul Bearer.

Jim Ross: “Perhaps Kane didn’t appreciate Shawn Michaels’ use of the word ‘monstrosity.’”

It looks as if Kane has taken offence to the remark but instead he turns and attacks Mankind! DX look shocked but pleased. He levels Mankind with a huge Chokeslam.

Flash Funk (c) vs Brian Christopher – Flash wins

Honky Tonk Man comes to the ring and brings his guitar. He says after last week he has a special performance planned. He calls out TAKA Michinoku. TAKA comes out and Honky Tonk Man says there’s a couple of VIP guests he forgot to mention. Out come The Godwinns and Honky reaches inside his sequined jumpsuit and hands them a brown envelope. They check the contents then turn and attack TAKA, beating him into the mat. Honky strikes his pose and laughs at the flattened TAKA.

Billy Gunn vs Bob Holly – Billy wins

Marlena introduces her new client… Vader. And Vader wants Goldust in the ring tonight.  He grabs the mic and calls out 'The Bizarre One' but instead Jeff Jarrett answers.  Double J has something to say to Vader but he is quickly interrupted by Vince McMahon. McMahon asks Jarrett what he’s doing out here but doesn’t wait for a reply. He states that there will be a tag match tonight: Jarrett and Goldust vs Vader and a partner of his choosing. He tells Vader to hurry and find a partner unless he wants it to be Marlena.

Faarooq vs Scott Taylor – Faarooq wins

Faarooq grabs a mic and calls out The Rock. Rock hits the ring and Faarooq asks him where he’s been lately in their battle against the Disciples Of Apocalypse. The Rock angrily fires back tearing strips off Faarooq, stating that the Nation has lost any real leadership. Faarooq bristles but before he can respond The Rock slaps him across the face. Faarooq flares but just at that moment Savio Vega, Jose Estrada Jr and Miguel Perez Jr of Los Boricuas hit the ring and attack. They are swiftly followed by Chainz, Skull and 8-Ball of DOA. The factions brawl but The Rock bails and leaves Faarooq by himself to fight the Gang Wars.

Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny) vs Godwinns – Animal pins Phineas

Austin is stomping around backstage, kicking open doors when he finds the one he wants. Mankind is being stitched up by medical staff after the beating he took from Kane earlier. 'Stone Cold' asks him whether he can fight. Mankind mumbles and Austin barks at him again, “Can you fight?!” Mankind screams that he will fight. And a deep voice behind them says “Good.” The camera turns and The Undertaker is standing in the doorway.

Owen Hart vs Ahmed Johnson vs Road Dogg – Johnson pins Road Dogg after a distraction caused by Sunny and Legion Of Doom turning up at ringside.

Jerry Lawler: “That’s not fair, Hawk and Animal just cost Road Dogg the match… though I do like seeing Sunny out here.”

Legion Of Doom and the New Age Outlaws brawl at ringside.

Backstage Vader reveals his partner for tonight is… ‘The Lethal Weapon’ Steve Blackman!

Vader (w/ Marlena) and Steve Blackman vs Goldust and Jeff Jarrett (w/ Jim Cornette) – Goldust pins Blackman after Marc Mero interferes. Cornette also distracts Vader, bating him with his tennis racket.

Promo video recap of the feuds featuring DX, Austin, Taker, Kane and Mankind.

D-Generation X (w/ Chyna) and Kane (w/ Paul Bearer) vs Austin, Undertaker and Mankind – Michaels pins Mankind after Chyna interference.

Jim Ross: "Bah gawd, the carnage.  Bodies lying everywhere... and Michaels connects with the Sweet Chin Music!  This one is over."

• Like 5

image.png

Monday Week 4.  December 1997.

Boulder, CO.

Mr McMahon is out and announces that there will be a European title defence tonight on RAW. He invites D-Generation X to the ring and states that it will be Triple H vs Mankind. Hunter acts like this is fine and puts his arm around Chyna. Then out comes the President of the WWF, Gorilla Monsoon. Monsoon congratulates Vince on lining up a thrilling match for tonight but says that he’d like to add one thing: Chyna will be barred from ringside. DX freak out.

Jim Ross: “After Chyna’s interference last week President Monsoon is taking no risks. He wants to see a fair fight.”

The camera cuts to the venue’s boiler room and the door cracks open an inch. There’s some indecipherable shrieking and Mankind pokes his head around the door.

Steve Blackman vs Marc Mero – Blackman wins. Mero attempts to box but Blackman destroys him with kicks and locks in a Guillotine Choke for the tap.

Michael Cole is trying to get an interview with The Undertaker. He sees him in the corridor and asks him about feuding with his brother, having to face him last week on RAW. Undertaker stops for a second but decides against commenting. He walks on as Paul Bearer emerges from the shadows. “Kane will wreak his vengeance. Ohhhh yesssss!”

Headbangers vs Truth Commission – Mosh pins Recon

Steve Austin is in his locker room pacing because he doesn’t have a match tonight. The camera follows him and reveals, on the third pass, Mankind standing behind the Texas Rattlesnake.

Mankind: “Last week we fought side by side like brothers. I won’t forget that… Have a nice day!!”

Jim Ross: “Mankind is a dangerous individual. A warped mind that is stretched beyond breaking point... but did he just thank Stone Cold?”

Kane (w/ Paul Bearer) vs Ahmed Johnson – Kane wins in a wild brawl

Michael Cole tries to get an interview backstage with the Nation Of Domination. There is a lot of shouting behind the closed door. Cole knocks and, after no response, opens it to see Faarooq and The Rock yelling into each other’s faces. Cole tries to get a microphone in front of them but Kama grabs a handful of his shirt. Cole, terrified, squeaks out that Kama has a match tonight against The Undertaker. All NOD members stop and look at Cole who shrinks back, still in Kama’s grip. They throw Cole out of the room and slam the door. The yelling continues if anything, louder than before.

Ken Shamrock vs Goldust (w/ Luna Vachon) – Shamrock wins by count out after Vader comes down and chases Goldust into the crowd.

DX are outside in the parking lot. Triple H is still furious that Gorilla Monsoon has barred Chyna from ringside for his European Championship defence. The camera pans to Shawn Michaels who is wearing a chef’s hat and an apron stating “Kiss the C*ck” on it (but most of it is obscured by his WWF title belt). Hunter asks him what he’s doing. “BBQ” the response. “Who doesn’t like BBQ?” Michaels squirts more lighter fluid onto the barbecue and it flames wildly for a moment. DX turn and Kane is stood behind them. “Uh oh.”

Legion Of Doom (w/ Sunny) vs Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett (w/ Jim Cornette) – Jarrett pins Animal after interference from Road Dogg.

New Age Outlaws beat down Legion Of Doom and then Owen and Jarrett join them. It’s four on two until the Headbangers rush out to even the sides.

The Undertaker vs Kama - Undertaker wins

WWF European Championship

Triple H (c) vs Mankind – Triple H wins, hitting Mankind with a low blow with the ref distracted by Shawn Michaels (still in his chef's hat and apron) and Kane fighting in the aisle.

Jim Ross: “HBK decided he wasn’t going to keep away from this one but he was followed out by an angry Big Red Machine!”

Jerry Lawler: “You know what fire does to Kane, JR! He’s crazy!”

The carnage in the aisle continues and out comes ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin to join the brawl. All three of Michaels, Austin and Kane continue to fight and this brings out Mr McMahon. Road agents fail to separate the three and Vince decides he will be the one to restore order. He wades in and takes an accidental right hand from Austin and then…

Jim Ross: “Michaels going for the Sweet Chin Music on Austin… Austin moves… Oh no!”

BAM! Michaels kicks McMahon in the jaw and Vince is out. ‘Stone Cold’ laughs his way to the back.

• Like 3