Table top RPG players. I have need of your service

Jaysin

I'm in the prelim stages of a book inspired by my love of animal/human mutant super heroes and am looking for guidance.

I'm looking for a rulebook or character creation sheet that focuses on these types of characters. Think of the late 80s early 90s Ninja Turtles toy line with every animal mutant ever. 

I'm looking to RPG books to help with character creation and keep things consistent with checks and balances.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Eternal Phoenix said:

I suppose "focuses on" takes out Mutants & Masterminds, doesn't it?

I've not heard of that one, but I'll check into it! Thank you. The more suggestions the better. 

22 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard that Mutants in the Now is meant to be an off-brand TMNT RPG system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/378040/Mutants-in-the-Now

I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for. Book marked and I'll most likely buy it next payday. 

Palladium Books used to publish a game called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness, which I think was pretty close to what you're looking for. There's an actual play log of it here, if you're interested. I have seen praise for the game as being fun and having great character creation, but I have not played it myself.

Palladium has lost the TMNT license since then, so while you can still find the book, it might be pricy. However, they also have a game called After the Bomb (that's a link to their website), which I believe is closely related (it may be the same game with the licensed material hacked off). You can get a pdf of that pretty cheaply on DriveThruRPG, or you can order a copy of the book from Palladium.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Thane of Fife said:

Palladium Books used to publish a game called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness, which I think was pretty close to what you're looking for. There's an actual play log of it here, if you're interested. I have seen praise for the game as being fun and having great character creation, but I have not played it myself.

Palladium has lost the TMNT license since then, so while you can still find the book, it might be pricy. However, they also have a game called After the Bomb (that's a link to their website), which I believe is closely related (it may be the same game with the licensed material hacked off). You can get a pdf of that pretty cheaply on DriveThruRPG, or you can order a copy of the book from Palladium.

After the Bomb and the Ninja Turtle RPG is what inspired this book idea. I just didn't know Palladium still had the book available. I'll probably buy a copy of the book just to own it 

Mutants and Masterminds CAN be very "crunchy" as far as initial character creation goes, BUT they also have tons of premade characters and options so a lot of the work is done for you. The Deluxe Hero's Handbook contains a quickstart generator, one of the options of which is the "Totem", an animal hero, which then branches into several different animal types. Other pre-made animal characters designed to be starting players include Mongrel (Emerald City), Kitty (Hero High 2e), and the Shadow Knights (martial arts rabbit girls, an obvious TMNT pastiche, Superteam Handbook).

I've made a bunch of characters over here, if you want to see some examples, including one who is an alien alligator man with the power of the Egyptian God Horus (and if that doesn't scream TMNT action figure, I don't know what does).

Edited by Matt_Black

• 4 months later...

Working on a project and instead of starting a new thread, I'm just going to bump this one as it pertains to the same subject. 

I'm looking for a TTRPG for superhero and supervillains. Something with a decent creation system. I'm working on a book series, and it would be nice to have a uniform sheet/bio for every character. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, Jaysin said:

Working on a project and instead of starting a new thread, I'm just going to bump this one as it pertains to the same subject. 

I'm looking for a TTRPG for superhero and supervillains. Something with a decent creation system. I'm working on a book series, and it would be nice to have a uniform sheet/bio for every character. 

I personally like Mutants & Masterminds 3e (and I've made a crap ton of characters the past few months). Certainly, I'd argue that it has the most support, both official, 3rd party, and fan material.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

I personally like Mutants & Masterminds 3e (and I've made a crap ton of characters the past few months). Certainly, I'd argue that it has the most support, both official, 3rd party, and fan material.

Oh, neat. I know those guys from anotherforum. People really do use different names on different boards, don't they? :D

• 2 months later...

Heroes Unlimited from Palladium Books fits this concept well. Mutants & Masterminds would also work. The beauty of Heroes Unlimited is you can use After the Bomb or the newly reacquired TMNT & Other Strangeness with it since it is compatible.

• Like 1