When I take my time and let myself become fully immersed, I really think this is one of the best games ever

When i'm chilled out and in the mood for a slow burn game that I take my time and think everything through and watch every match, I really feel this game has such a timeless feel and second to none immersion.  I only play my mod now, but it's just the perfect way for me to unwind before the day is over. Love it. Between this, Rimworld and Crusader Kings 2, I don't need anything else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can add EA UFC 5 to that. It's literaly the same game with an updated engine but plays almost the same. I ended up getting it for the slight update to submissions, among some other things, but many call it EA UFC 4.5. Apart from that, there's simply no other games that are worth it. Bit of an underdeveloped market for a sport that is known across the world, albeit non-mainstream.

Anyhow: the gameworld of WMMA5 is equipped that it will enrich itself, which is amazing and - if you indeed take a LOT of time to fully immerse yourself in all weights - can be awesome just to watch. The AI is good enough to make for believable events so you don't even have to play it yourself. If I didn't have "new" alternative games to play, I'd just keep playing this.

Kinda bummed the series is discontinued. It can still get even better. 

On a sidenote: you still play CK2? A lot of ppl here played it, but most have moved on to CK3. However, I haven't played in a while because it's a bit "dumbed down" from CK2. But still also very immersive if you ask me. Also better portraits. Plus great mods.

On 11/6/2023 at 2:00 PM, Blackman said:

On a sidenote: you still play CK2? A lot of ppl here played it, but most have moved on to CK3. However, I haven't played in a while because it's a bit "dumbed down" from CK2. But still also very immersive if you ask me. Also better portraits. Plus great mods.

Yeah, I still play CK2.  I really find it to be one of the best games ever made.  Endless replay value.  I did think about buying CK3 but heard that it was a bit dumbed down and was sort of scared that if I play it I might like some aspects of it a lot but hate others.  And in doing so it might ruin my enjoyment of CK2.  The thing I like about CK2 is that it is very minimal in terms of graphics so I'm forced to use my imagination a little for what characters look like in the flesh.  I am however quite interested in the much more detailed portraits in CK3.  How do you find the two games compare?

Edited by scuz
  • Like 1

Agree fully other than I find I spend too much time waiting for the game to simulate. I’m in 2024 with over 20 years and it’s slows to a crawl even booking the fights it’s slow to load.  That’s the only thing really killing it for me.  Really wish the performance was better long term.  

5 hours ago, dave1927p said:

Agree fully other than I find I spend too much time waiting for the game to simulate. I’m in 2024 with over 20 years and it’s slows to a crawl even booking the fights it’s slow to load.  That’s the only thing really killing it for me.  Really wish the performance was better long term.  

My computer is quite fast and doesn't seem to take too long between turns but I still find myself watching Youtube in between turns.  I suppose for some that would break the immersion a little bit, but I often skip 3 or 4 days at a time and watch Youtube in between.  Works pretty well for me.🙂

Arguably the best game GDS has ever made, but the loading times are really bad. After 30-40 years it's so slow you have to abandon the save and start again. The starting over part is always the worst one in GDS games, but especially bad in WMMAs. In WMMA I always have one long save and when it gets unbearable in the loading time department, I just stop playing the game altogether. Then after an unspecified period of time (months, a year), I dust it off again for some rinse and repeat. It's definitely starting to reach the TEW08 & TEW10 hours for me.

On 11/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, scuz said:

My computer is quite fast and doesn't seem to take too long between turns but I still find myself watching Youtube in between turns.  I suppose for some that would break the immersion a little bit, but I often skip 3 or 4 days at a time and watch Youtube in between.  Works pretty well for me.🙂

my pc is fast too - it's a limitation of the game, not hardware.  Waiting long periods of time when selecting names in the booking screen is the reality.  As Flamesnoopy mentions, it does become completely unplayable.  It's really unfortunate too because that's when the game becomes alot of fun when you've created the history, witnessed/influenced it all, and want to continue building the world along with shaping the future fighters.  

17 hours ago, dave1927p said:

my pc is fast too - it's a limitation of the game, not hardware.  Waiting long periods of time when selecting names in the booking screen is the reality.  As Flamesnoopy mentions, it does become completely unplayable.  It's really unfortunate too because that's when the game becomes alot of fun when you've created the history, witnessed/influenced it all, and want to continue building the world along with shaping the future fighters.  

I suppose the only way to get round it would be to move the fighters to a smaller number of regions.  I could be wrong, but I think the game slows down dramatically when all regions are active. I don't have all regions active in my mod, there are some areas in the world that I've left empty of fighters. Not a fix I know.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, scuz said:

I suppose the only way to get round it would be to move the fighters to a smaller number of regions.  I could be wrong, but I think the game slows down dramatically when all regions are active. I don't have all regions active in my mod, there are some areas in the world that I've left empty of fighters. Not a fix I know.

so if the regions were changed to countries and the rest deleted I wonder if that would work long term.  Seems unusual that it's tied to that - i'd think it's more the number of fighters being the factor

Edited by dave1927p

On 11/16/2023 at 10:34 PM, dave1927p said:

so if the regions were changed to countries and the rest deleted I wonder if that would work long term.  Seems unusual that it's tied to that - i'd think it's more the number of fighters being the factor

By regions I mean countries.  Like move all canadians to the US, and put japan and asia together etc in terms of where fighters and companies are based.  Numbers of fighters must matter too however.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. WMMA was always my favorite season, but I dropped off after 3. Not played in forever and I don't even watch MMA anymore. Decided to get back into 5 during Black Friday and I have been playing it every day now. Finally playing a real WEFF game, that I never did in 2 or 3, as the populate fighter feature wasn't a thing. It is so amazing, also adding new pictures or a few own characters as well.

I watch all the main card fights of any show possible(well, I mostly skip to the end, but I keep up with it much more) and keep engaged with how the companies operate. It is so fun. Some days I only have one event happen of my own company, but I never feel like this is slow. Because, it is so fun to see what the AI does. I made GAMMA and ALPHA-1 do the whole "Rapid Fire" AI strategy, which I just love. In the earlier games, the AI ran limited shows and so many fighters barely fought. Now, everyone is active, people get better and it is just fun to see.

I already got more than enough out of my purchase. What a wonderful experience.

Best game ever! Period. Hands Down.

Load times for me are not super bad but then again I only play fictional which has a lot less bog-down in it. It does get slower, sure, but not to the point I can't play. My game is always windowed too since my resolution is higher and for that reason, I can tab out easily and do other stuff on my computer during sim time. The sim during my longer saves usually is like 8-10 minutes, maybe slightly more at beginning of months? But overall it doesn't break the immersion for me. I know real world is a LOT slower though. 

Still - best game ever. Making a mod for you all to enjoy soon enough! Default Extended, 2012 start that takes us 10 years into the future of the promotion. 

Yeah, I have the game windowed and I use the load times to do other things. That a game like this gets heavier load times the more it goes on, that is ok. I play lots of Paradox Interactive Games, I know what happens when games crawl to a halt.

But, I am still just 3 years in, in my current playthrough. So, the slowdown is yet to come. I am aware it will happen, though.

It will only happen when you use massive db's like the "real" database which are only good for small-scale games. 

The default db should last for many a decade if you disable new companies (and you should). 

I dont know if editing people's death age to 'much lower' fixes it. But there's too many people in the db after a while. You'll have to switch from booking to watching eventually. 

On 12/10/2023 at 1:47 PM, Blackman said:

The default db should last for many a decade if you disable new companies (and you should).

I did indeed learned the lesson what it means if you allow a company like "TOP" to form, because you think it would be fun. And now you are full of so many Russian/Eastern European fighters with similar names, haha. It worked so well with two other companies, that I made that mistake there.

Now I know for the future and other playthroughs. It ain't too bad.

I have played WMMA since the first game, but usually tailed off my time quite quickly as I used to play TEW much more. But since TEW 2020 came out I have got back into WMMA much more and completely stopped playing TEW. It would be better if the game world had more life to it like in TEW and quicker load times. But I still find WMMA 5 probably the best game that Adam Ryland has made. If boxing, bare knuckle etc could be added in some way to the game world that would be a huge boost and flesh the game out even more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/24/2024 at 6:34 PM, Gungner said:

For me, the loading times are really only bad when I start a game, do to wast number of signings I always make. 

after you’ve created an amazing amount of history 30 plus years into the game it sucks having to quit only because of slow speeds. I really hope they make 6 and focus solely on making long term play more enjoyable by maintaining speeds. 

Edited by dave1927p