The Nexusverse (WIP)

There's a fundamental misunderstanding here. It's essentially just a moral question about intellectual property.

One side believes that the moment an AI touches a render, it's completely new, no strings attached.

One side believes that the renders in question are still the intellectual property of the creator, and had not been approved to be put through the AI in the first place.

I would argue that there's no question - the second side is correct, and that to work, without permission, using their creations, and to go even further as to pass them off as your own or a new creation, is immoral and shouldn't be accepted by this community.

Edited by parkereddy
  • Like 3

I think the only person not understanding here is you, my friend. Putting renders into an AI is not grounds to claim the work as your own. It's plagiarism with an extra step, and it's very clear that you have just taken renders made by legitimate artists and put them into an AI to get some half-baked output. It takes a couple messages to get permission from these artists to use renders for projects. Running them through the AI and claiming them as your own is just spitting in the face of those artists and frankly it's quite disrespectful. 

If I found someone to be doing this with MY renders, I'd bring the wrath of zeus down upon them. But that's just me.

Edited by Shianne_EB
  • Like 2

Since you seem to be avoiding my question, I'll just make this easy then, so there is no misunderstanding. You do not have permission to use my work in any format, including but not limited to running it through AI. 

If you would like to address my concerns, then perhaps we can have further discussion. 

• Like 5

On 11/7/2023 at 5:11 AM, MasterZed00 said:

yes, someone would think the renders looks pretty famailiar, the mod uses renders from creators by the TEW community, but all renders are set by an AI and edited by me, so they are custom Renders.

This is the problem you're having. You are creating a mod that uses other people's work, running it through an AI program, and then claiming they are "custom". These are your words.

Further, if you did receiver permission from creators, you left out the "Thank You To" portion of your mod pitch and that's pretty rude in of itself.

Now, after shifting through this thread, your argument is, "This is no different than someone re-rendering a version of effin's render and saying it's "yours", well, you're still kind of wrong.

Put it like this:

Aaron Andrews (original) gets a re-render from effin, shipshirt, kingbison, & willrock (you guys were the first ones that popped in there, please excuse the name drop!)

Those Aaron Andrews re-renders now belong to each one of those guys, because it was them who created the render for the character. 

I could take one of those Aaron Andrews, throw a filter over it, but I can't create the AceVerse on the back of that render just because I colored it and call it mine because it was altered in a different way by me. Does this make sense?

I would need to reach out to whomever's render I used, ask to use their renders as a part of my *mod*, and give credit where credit is due.

Renders get altered all the time. There's literally a thread to get Alts made and still, if I wanted to put a funny hat on Aaron Andrews, I could. It's in my own save/game what have you, but once I start including that Aaron Andrews in a funny hat made by effin (let's say), I need to reach out to the creator to say, 

"Hey, I really like this Andrews you made. I got a hat put on him lol, but would it be Ok to include this render and possibly others to include in this project I'm doing?"

Not at any point in this whole ordeal, did I sit there and *make* the render. Thus, that render is not *mine* despite throwing a filter on it and asking someone to put on a hat.

This is where you fumbled the ball.

Now, you said you made your own original renders? Well, then, yeah, those are yours. Go wild. And in the same token, you would want someone to contact you for use of *your* renders in their project that they may be building. 

I was going to sit out on this and probably, should have not put my two cents in. However, I also stand by the guys who are always dropping renders/graphics/and the like to this forum to keep our little niche world alive and moving. Plus, the resourced that go into them is pretty steep if you are creating. I mean, you would know with your original renders from Daz, right?

Mistakes were made, but they can be corrected, even if the commenters are "incredibly stubborn". 

The pot calling the kettle black.

Edited by MegaCity1
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

okay, i want to say something here too, because i'm the one who allowed these people to use my old titanverse mod as a base. someone maybe remebers this project.

last time i worked on the mod it was intended that these pics would be placeholders until the regular pic pack was finished. this was my original plans.
I started by modifying my renders and other creators stuff via AI, MasterZed just continued this routine.
but i created this ai stuff for my personal use, it was never intendet to get released at this state by me or anyone else. because i had some premission (Shipshirt, smw88, haloed and others i cant remeber), but not all premission. I didn't get permission from i effin rule, and some other creators even though I asked, but no answer :(

I gave the mod to masterzeds people with the promise that they would replace the images of the release version, which has already partially happened. And to be fair, the mod is not yet released afaik.
MasterZed probably just forgot to mark it as a placeholder pics, hence the confusion. i guess he can be a hot head somtimes :D
dont know why this dude reacts this way. probably weirdo. 🤣

I would take the blame as I obviously forgot to explain it properly to them.
i would like to apologise for the confusion.  

Man we were doing so good without anyone arguing about permissions for so long. 

Zed, if you put a render through AI, that is so much less work than actually making the render yourself. That's people's issues here. If you were creating a render in Daz3d, and it's based on a IER render for example, you're still doing the work to create the image yourself. AI takes that work out. 

I understand that you received permission to use renders, but you need to make sure you're not using anyone else besides those people's. It takes literally seconds to send a PM or reply in a thread asking for permission. 

If you're respectful, people are more keen to help, but instead you're reacting in a negative way when people are trying to help guide you. We need more mod makers on this site, we aren't trying to push you away. Please understand that. We just have rules here when it comes to other people's work. This isn't a Rick Knox reffed match where rules don't matter. 

1 minute ago, WillyWillyWilly said:

Seconds?
i still waiting for permission i send in 2017 :D

No response is the response. No one is obligated to reply to every PM they receive. There's also the chance they didn't even see it. Unless someone explicitly says you can use their work, you don't have permission, regardless if you're using AI or not. AI art is neat and is coming up with some great content for the game, but we have rules ya know?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

No response is the response. No one is obligated to reply to every PM they receive. There's also the chance they didn't even see it. Unless someone explicitly says you can use their work, you don't have permission, regardless if you're using AI or not. AI art is neat and is coming up with some great content for the game, but we have rules ya know?

i know
It was a joke ;)

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.78593b253b1e069645de396e97df5b3a.jpeg

Here's a totally original AI generated render that I made. Everyone feel free to use this totally original creation that I made in your mods.

image.jpeg.97b19e6ce7a9581ab9188a64779c17d1.jpeg

Here's another totally orginal logo I made using AI as well. This is a new, totally custom, original logo made by me that no one has ever seen before. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Okay, I'll stop trolling now., I just couldn't help myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, WillyWillyWilly said:

dont know why this dude reacts this way. probably weirdo. 🤣

Do you know how frustrating it is when you can avoid such discussions, if only people would read posts sensibly instead of immediately making assumptions that never happened afterwards. That's why I reacted like that. 

What bothers me is that people aren't able to read posts properly without interpreting things.
I didn't say that these are my renders, but that they were created using AI and I'm using them.
There is a difference between used by me and created by me. 
but then it was said that i said they was my work which I never said at any time. yeah right, but  i am disrespectful.

At most I used someone else's render to create the one image at post #1 and made it public.
There is no content on discord that was not created by the helpers or originally by WillyWillyWilly or myself. if you not believe, check out by yourself.
and nothing was released public at any time, so everyone chill.

To avoid future misunderstanding, please note that forum rule #2 has been updated to add further clarification as follows:

2. If you want to use someone else's work, ask first; this includes running existing renders through AI programs or other modification software to create 'new' content. Most people are perfectly happy to let others use their work as long as they get credit, but please ask permission first. Content creators can also ask to have their work removed at any time too. We at GDS also have no problem with content creators hosting their work on other sites and communities, that is their decision and should be respected as such. This extends to any instances where a mod is being showcased by YouTube videos and linked on this forum - if the mod(s) in question are linked on this forum at any point through a thread, dynasty or video series then they must follow the rules in place for all mods on GDS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Adam. Hopefully no more missuderstandings will arise now.

But first think about whether you shouldn't be grateful that there are still people like me who are still willing to create a niche mod in a dying niche product, or whether you prefer to look for mistakes and get artificially upset because you want to be the golden hero or don't have your ego under control, or just want to look for negative things. No wonder the tew modding community is dying
I can't help it if people are sensitive.

And the people who came into discord after the discussion and asked for the pic pack, you probably think I'm dumb too, don't you? 

but enough has been said from my side, if you want to discuss further you can do so on discord.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, MasterZed00 said:

Thanks Adam. Hopefully no more missuderstandings will arise now.

But first think about whether you shouldn't be grateful that there are still people like me who are still willing to create a niche mod in a dying niche product, or whether you prefer to look for mistakes and get artificially upset because you want to be the golden hero or don't have your ego under control, or just want to look for negative things. No wonder the tew modding community is dying
I can't help it if people are sensitive.

And the people who came into discord after the discussion and asked for the pic pack, you probably think I'm dumb too, don't you? 

but enough has been said from my side, if you want to discuss further you can do so on discord.

You seem to be under the illusion that you've made a positive contribution to the game and community. You haven't. Have you read the opening post of this thread? 'Here's a mod I tried to build once but abandoned, but now I'm doing it and I need you folks to come up with ideas for me, do all of the actual modding for me, oh and by the way I stole all your renders, butchered them and gave the originals to random AI companies, cheers'. Come on. The people who have spent countless amounts of money and hours on rendering characters for these games are the people who we can't afford to lose. They have contributed an enormous amount to this game and community. You have contributed nothing.

The people we can afford to lose from the community are the people who leech off and debase the work of others, without any appreciation for the work that's gone into creating what they think they 'don't need permission' to take.

• Like 2

Something tells me Zed is under the age of 30.

Such arrogance, telling the designer of a game to feel lucky because you are stealing other people's hard work? 

We want you to feel home here, but your attitude is less than ideal. I don't know if it's your age or the language barrier, but you come across incredibly arrogant and self centered.

Like I said before, we need more modders, but you need to follow the rules.

I'm not trying to insult you, just telling you how you come across. I'm trying to be constructive.

Something tells me Zed is under the age of 20.

I hope you have understood what went wrong here. If this modmaking is fun for you (and your girlfriend as stated in OP), then feel free to work on this. I appreciate all the new modders and would love to give it a shot when you have something to play with. But being this arrogant while being called out for straight up stealing other people's content and, well like Markw said, giving it for free to some AI companies, that is not cool at all. I hope you understand this and don't give up on doing what makes you happy but within the rules of community and otherwise good behaviour.

Okay, both sides have said their piece with this one and the back and forth will benefit no one now at this point. Anything further on the topic can go through PMs.

As advised, if there has been permission granted for work used and should this mod be released on the board then all we need is some form of credit section crediting those who have given the permission and, if necessary, proof of the permissions being granted.

Am I stealing something from the Steam Workshop that has been made public if I don't ask the creators to use it,even change it ?
Just bc is this the only gaming community where people feel pissed that you take their public content without asking, is it stealing? 
Just because i put it on a picture?
have you seen my mod or my pics pack already? 

Arrogance, yes, it may be that I am,im not here to make freinds, I would even admit it. But think about your behavior. Of course you did everything right by interpreting things and assuming things. Im willing to change my mistkes and behaviour, but you cotinue to assuming things and missunderstand things you've not even seen before.

I've never seen anywhere that you have to ask permission when using something personal as placeholder. what dou you not understand about the word Placeholder?
Yes, I'm making this mod, and yes, I'm using third-party content to change it without permission, but I haven't made anything public or given it to anyone, I've kept everything for myself personally.

If you think I'm stealing then please show me where you got the render that I changed by ai.
Just upload a modified render that i have stolen. please someone, show me.