WCW 1992: A New Era for World Championship Wrestling

Posted (edited)

Kpuv5QL8DygA6KD14gxRzEvUb4D_LEOkfgpY7Zxx-XJLkzXrji_dvnLIUH0cyWTrBc_evbbRdaSXKQ8iwjURof6C3XHWT_UnZ3r_wwFjBZstbEL_kkdaClRgSvCXy4uod6EvyCqKe6yaIJYF5_sQkik

Week 2 January 1992

World Championship Wrestling 

Venue: Mississippi Coast Coliseum 

Attendance: 8,577

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Jesse Ventura

os2r4cLI9ac60B0TK43wF1hwq2HylEZYcVT0xHAVtZ_FAKaNimvWDJFYnRdNg1uqIw7GIgvb1dLvjfGbcr8pu_KBG6Ytx-yDHlS-Gj2pY3ZX6snwr9Dx6RR4DFtiFCeLnKqiTV6s1kHl6WYtBjD-dJQroiRtWYsvlAkye-z0s7qJgmx3pvxc9F2SFGHyM8NdFp_RJbOdmk3CIMKcvhJr9IjNgLSNWcpieCr4gDydMDzD3sv9zfwwKlq_VWnondVn04_3pq0i8lHXoZA4JI4nMgcP6ok5yRLl6nE8OvdmBACRPk

Schiavone: WE ARE 2 WEEKS AWAY FROM CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS XVIII!!!  The Match has been signed.  Lex Luger will defend the WCW World Championship against Sting!

Ventura:  That’s right Schiavone!  And WCW Commissioner, Dusty Rhodes has also declared that Stunning Steve Austin will have to defend his World Television Title against Barry Windham at The Clash of the Champions

Current Clash of the Champions XVIII Card

-WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Lex Luger © (with Harley Race) vs Sting 

-WCW World Tag Team Championship: The Natural Dragons © vs Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton

Schiavone: Our Main Event this week on World Championship Wrestling has Stunning Steve Austin defending his Television Title against Ricky the Dragon Steamboat.  

Segment 1: Singles Match

“Flyin” Brian vs Terrence Taylor (with Alexandra York)

96nPE6Ic4H3udPX8R_mQMmvXt0xRTdFH9T7U3OhiDDSgIgK8F_142Z0RLm7OY-xl2MFLM0UMbsoZqkEXX6cTzD5stqsY-LeRwsAEclsKpFtfazGuCfmMMua54xgWexvtOtagZ2ulnC6Db6gGBLwkBOA-OGzk7ZAkqkqgsVHA7u4f6_lepn-BRvZ15hiI1NG4yfmhlPshzgoFDGqNOtORaosZzB9464SmQikgKptVr3NqRWYtStpP3Ca9xmUTY0TvEKaos00p5rSbFCVqLtXbxfzIy06C0lIa9ivMuGOrYpIio8jLk1d71WSHP0e8mmRmbblWZWdHFMOk8Zn4MuM_XWpOv1wlYufDqGfHlwwvjbQPO0Ty_x_ox32pMCvgPJD-XCu-LOLEBqnZOLPxVh61YGVOpYl2iJlw_PW9DbwMMMeumHhok1BNJOvjWIFkqxLNwoWvk

Winner: “Flyin” Brian via Air Pillman

Schiavone: And Missy Hyatt is out here.  She came out last week after a “Flyin” Brian win. 

Ventura: I think Missy has eyes for Flyin Brian, Schiavone

zodVp5P6BbZ8BfiaCTKsWi8Kl4788Bm_TbjfyoD7j4L_bQdsV-fgpQwRzvSrDVq1UdNwovtpog-4uNcsxwvJ1X-Tf6anKm8Tzibj_FAfG-MaWdA7aKCF4D_h9UKf9f1ijFNHZ206zM9frWKdAntQ5bs

(Brian looks at Missy, shakes his head and walks past her as he returns to the locker room.  Missy has a determined look in her eye)

Segment 2: Tony Schiavone interviews Paul E. Dangerously and Stunning Steve Austin

os2r4cLI9ac60B0TK43wF1hwq2HylEZYcVT0xHAVtZ_FAKaNimvWDJFYnRdNg1uqIw7GIgvb1dLvjfGbcr8pu_KBG6Ytx-yDHlS-Gj2pY3ZX6snwr9Dx6RR4DFtiFCeLnKqiTV6s1kHl6WYtBjD-dJQQoQGjXRqA_3XLJxnFQaZEUTeTyezZ1518ISPQanr0AT0JY1D3vm50lWHmMYQqKzJMc01iKSOtteXzszE37-LEvFeCaB5lVLrxZDWLfalUSGAz7EZojiPANOhJ3Oe4xv1Sl92ji_EcFRWbnBEvk0MH5QeOBqDQCHk0O2QFelIYMOsOGfwfwVayFOSoQqwnsymGFK4LDElUpQYjrRq_A3g2UTIjvvc-4JdVGNrKbUL73FQ-SbJCvJ2MUG1nnUPrIovbCn730wgrhMh3o65oWuReCLhCU9zrAhZbLhGSGvCMvW6gY

Schiavone: Steve Austin, 2 straight matches vs Barry Windham and then vs Johnny B. Bad, you have been counted out, what some would say intentionally, when your back was against the wall, in order to retain your WCW Television Title. What do you have to say for yourself?

Paul E: OBJECTION “YOUR HONOR”!  Badgering the witness. My client does not need to take the easy way out Mr. Schiavone.  We do not appreciate your tone, SIR!

Austin: When you’re as good as Stunning Steve Austin, you don’t have to take the easy way out!  And I won’t have to take any shortcuts tonight against that pathetic excuse for an opponent in Ricky Steamboat.  Do you understand me?

Segment 3: United States Tag Team Championship

The Steiner Brothers vs The Young Pistols © 

Ix_QLr6bCvDAW1KHcA2U2R-X_Mae2IArOMOvWV2SK0WFjBLRGZAInRnFA3nlKrH9p8vrtMDjHOAsibw7Mu0WptzWYJPgywAtV1YoCPZHrYo8HLeWVuusGsZixkSECLMLPm9UlMP94zz2xi2Jx3DUIrgE6dK2BqQavdzxaLbb-4Mynm6Q4A5mIDy2YDXnDjsjpN1YEoN0o86nY-tUisFXRxSHnbZx-qS97KqKpfpThDsJt0RjO-nx5eJJElyorosMo3uyPOWyoJqK3wUl5KY3jOKt80lES98_oaQ_rTDKr5oyqouAB4F_oWm5p7ynM2YYLlgOPrFoTS2cNLcT00gz55XEqYbc6HOQR3HZrX7REVeyt5f1fUeLTzI7W7ODPKruVH1Xlv5pvE1SzV7iyAfYzqPmEwNpJ3h6fk-9rZ4qV3udSOTt_BcNvaYFxXNxVPiGlMDvQCRGFv7OIzOrWexqo5GDtzG4twHuO5kSJ6lhnb_Y7M6R-a_W-AzI7CQiP9s_4BQ6ZfsJjbkeKV_oBcBIomDOQmEGC4lBPT47b4PWKg9Ax--Hh3po64HaX7tI0PglDC8MvrB1rUAkjPx90AAQtCc5aes8

Winners: The Steiner Brothers via DQ after Tracy Smothers hit Rick Steiner with the US Tag belt

Segment 4: Backstage Vignette of Sting talking about his match at the Clash of the Champions vs Lex Luger

s86bAs0vvzAU7FLG7XLY2k_fKHyToGMlDuk1Fw0DYrzi_q4KirFHpXJEmbGEcWuZaDjG3RN5T7aZJDnKPevhk36B3AFH9KNlQ_EXiXOu1uRgKLS5ZXhge7gheewpEsnOIByDaPhpERw4yAyEabdvTZY

Sting: Luger, you were a good friend.  But when you aligned with Harley Race, you turned your back on your friends and the fans. At Clash of the Champions, that World Title is going around my waist for all of my little Stingers.

Segment 5: Singles Match

Mr Hughes w/Harley Race vs Ron Simmons

1pkzbi8utFuTI-IWBGQ_LvX2NYwwuPgVQgIw3yscWVKFaECra7DE4P9fna9QDyv8izwfJfMgPlHi8iK0HsqRCRiWCDk2hqFkpBspsvxutnM3H3z18PwC5HdNLeFbmmfnY9RQXAwni4YIo0hSWzly47oIgn6u3g1pQtcJ61cqE0JNet5AeNADZedJ4RkBvCKoP70aUPbkI-z_X7iRZtWLdK-ZRfUChLBdx22RzfmDy6DDZUEfhDRXzksLAuIObkyLfTJ2XWbsaVQNVKNYHWEITCIaoGpFIYyjar2ZSpYsqWvPP4AWTX4pxdne9B3TXZgOSULxcTASSuSOdvUIbXUDM8nW8CPew40Aj7JVZv9vpD7ttn0GOaL1NSgkQOT7kN-xD_R3u0oX_xd9e-R-SSCusWcVT1TPkwmes41gtCGFsCfv-4aXUhZqq8z-CzQ4Kp1XH55GA

Winner: Ron Simmons via The Dominator

(Out of nowhere, Vader attacks Simmons from behind.  Hughes, Race and Vader stomp on Simmons.  Race and Hughes clear out of the way and Vader lands a Vader Bomb on Simmons)

sN0UXqZx615uCUrpRBIQLC3StuefrGFbTRsHg12XgmOQVadA_cCMGU58WB3iu_9B9k1P_gLoGok0stH2Iw3cDkN6CD_Tkl0hIgnWLhBh-s7fXYyH8b70hLcRP_b7TqInl3R07P1bvlYcA_UvNd7VjzM

Schiavone: What is this all about??  Is Vader being managed by Harley Race?

Ventura:  I would say that looks like the case Schiavone.  I love it!

Segment 6: Main Event for the WCW World Television Championship

Ricky the Dragon Steamboat vs Stunning Steve Austin © with Paul E. Dangerously

Pz2bIUNkQQ1bSsUf2QMTaIXhj45w5skaJSohrKggTMvoOOrD7VvvtKouwoFFA47el-2NenyLdWnt8lCLGQG3QmkiV_SWgyjHPa5Hwn_1WqPqcqWmTFR3N2Xa8zbScgELBRCGlp-qqnXRSdmqoxxxeqYeOBqDQCHk0O2QFelIYMOsOGfwfwVayFOSoQqwnsymGFK4LDElUpQYjrRq_A3g2UTIjvvc-4JdVGNrKbUL73FQ-SbJCvJ2MUG1nnUPrIovbCn730wgrhMh3o65oWuReCLhCU9zrAhZbLhGSGvCMvW6gYQoQGjXRqA_3XLJxnFQaZEUTeTyezZ1518ISPQanr0AT0JY1D3vm50lWHmMYQqKzJMc01iKSOtteXzszE37-LEvFeCaB5lVLrxZDWLfalUSGAz7EZojiPANOhJ3Oe4xv1Sl92ji_EcFRWbnBEvk0MH5Q

Steamboat lands his Dragon Fly Press, has Austin pinned but Paul E puts Austin's foot on the rope.

Steamboat exits the ring to chase Paul E, Arn Arnderson and Bobby Eaton along with Rick Rude appear and jump Steamboat.  Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham and STING hit the ring to save their friend

Schiavone: Austin escapes another near loss of that World Television Title

Winner: Ricky Steamboat via DQ

END SHOW

411,394 viewers on TBS

Edited by bababooey76
  • Like 2

(Eric Bischoff meets with his newly formed booking team of Dusty Rhodes, Jim Ross, Paul E Dangerously and Ole Anderson)

QHKaCGq6WM6wuZdEll71U5CX7SYpR-djiUeifCfI2uF8WsBzABR5GYKtvE7imgWiODv1vyq64Reozj2GozzGf7fBN8B2qR0tsCvHJM8-CROVc7Laap8_LodvkuqwJHsCnwRrLnI22KXs8Al35oLV7Lg

Bischoff: In front of you are a list of things we need to cover that I want us to make happen and that needs discussion

• Diamond Studd/Vinnie Vegas Push

• Finish for Sting/Luger at The Clash

• New Talent 

• Big Signing

• Company/Talent Profile

Bischoff: Looking to begin pushing Scott Hall and Kevin Nash as their current characters.  I’d like to get the tag belts on the Steiners by the end of the summer.  Let’s push Studd and Vegas as a team and work toward a championship match between the teams in the fall or maybe even Starrcade depending on what kind of heat we can get for this matchup in the build up.  We need a name for Studd and Vegas as a team. Ideas?

Dusty: Is Dally still going to manage them, Baby? 

Bischoff: That’s the plan.  I want to get some heat on all 3 of them in the coming weeks.  

Dusty: Dally’s little group is the “The Diamond Mine”  How bout “The Diamond Club” for Scott and Big Kev?

Paul E: “The Sin City Studs?” or “The Diamond Connection”?

Dusty: “Sin City Studs”, I like that, Baby.  

Bischoff:  Let’s do it.  Ok, as you know, I’ve put Luger vs Sting on the Clash card instead of the PPV as I have worked out an early release with Luger since he is so unhappy.  We don’t need his attitude poisoning the other guys.  So Sting is going over and is going to be the face of this promotion

Ross: Clean pinfall finish? 

Bischoff:  NO…..I want Luger to tap to the Scorpion Death Lock.  Dusty, you’re going to be the agent for that match.  You can work out the details.

Ole: Do you think Luger is going to need to be persuaded to do business this way?  (Clenching his fists) 

Bischoff: Lex and I have an agreement.  I don’t think he is going to give us a problem. (smiles)

Bischoff: Now, I have signed some young talent.  Chris Jericho, Jeff Jarrett are a couple of youngsters.  We are going to send them to The Power Plant along with Marcus Bagwell.  I have my eye on a lot young guys that Dusty, Ole and I have been looking at signing.  I am looking at starting a smaller promotion, maybe only locally in Atlanta where these young guys get a lot of work and some tv exposure.  “Power Plant Wrestling” PPW.  I’d love to have some progress on this by the end of the year.  Maybe I can even Ted to give us a late night slot on TBS

Bischoff: I have signed a very big name in the business.  He’s going to play a big role and may end up being able to fill the void left when Flair left last summer.  No offense, but I am keeping his identity a secret for now.  I don’t want any leaks getting out to the dirt sheets.  But, this person will debut, unannounced, at The Clash.  

Bischoff: Finally, Dusty and I have broken down where exactly we stand as a company as far as top talents, and our strengths.

LFbdJIp5hLN8LVWvByCFq8I7H1ycCq29H2ns3K-g_kq3kYGMXnBjYPE6MPAlA3UnGGK7b5GSxZ0B4syCxnz7cBooHBTt3x9WKyCP3Lfn5CoHqXqqYRs4CRX9AMSW1IhAlmF-EVKrFwSFL8eqhxQBGQE

DaMi-2sEknpHUnV7HrM8BE12y6LlkFNiMgNCzcW4zvnTaApzRcpPhpnvTrS4ON3SfsX6PN5rYSP46F4mDiqEEYFrUjpPMj_8VRsoQoGbkCIdLzWjCWl6P4syAHiaqElR5iNLTZcVgSd21eqzClw-8i0

0-hhA1eJvt31-eRUTjZ3-3u7B0zVm60Cb5AYo2T6fFfESXhkww32g2tfsQQc4mlZRLAj0T79pPlxuYPkAbOpmg2Rynk3Hu4X7vC29NOyomxR9cm9ReZXGTyW-eXPrBwNJyysPZSp781oMmoitwkg5vs

sMHLQ_ZqQ2GD2lwoV30Hd8kegqYtE1-W667kCiKa0my_jrMdltHQZzSFJaFOvOMBuGMsFQlEt1NPjrzE4qUwbzQyqQEQZQ9NqA1rDOe8Q2M4BW-jLKOpcGMS50Y5_9f2gBH2et8YKHIWaWirtz39NNY

Bischoff: I am a little concerned about the Main Event scene after Luger leaves.   I want to add some depth as far as Main Event talent goes.   As far as "Franchise Players" go, I think we'll be able to add Vader, Austin and definitely my "Mystery Signing" to this list.  

• Like 2

How did you get Jarrett? I thought his dad's company(the uswa) and the wwf had a working aggrement around this time?

If Jericho's on the roster then what about his partner at the time, lance storm? They should be working for Jim Cornette's smw around this time.

If Paul e is on the booking team then that means no ecw right? Are any of them gonna be apart of power plant wrestling?

Your gonna let go of el Gigante too right? Guy was the worst big man wrestler in history.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sonny912 said:

How did you get Jarrett? I thought his dad's company(the uswa) and the wwf had a working aggrement around this time?

If Jericho's on the roster then what about his partner at the time, lance storm? They should be working for Jim Cornette's smw around this time.

If Paul e is on the booking team then that means no ecw right? Are any of them gonna be apart of power plant wrestling?

Your gonna let go of el Gigante too right? Guy was the worst big man wrestler in history.

Signed Jarrett to a written deal so this must be before Jerry Jarrett's deal with Vince

Sending Jericho to the Power Plant, probably to improve.  Storm could fit in if I can get Developmental Fed started and stocked up with talent.

Going to see if I can find a way to get any kind of heat with el Gigante before I part with him.  

9 hours ago, bababooey76 said:

Signed Jarrett to a written deal so this must be before Jerry Jarrett's deal with Vince

Sending Jericho to the Power Plant, probably to improve.  Storm could fit in if I can get Developmental Fed started and stocked up with talent.

Going to see if I can find a way to get any kind of heat with el Gigante before I part with him.  

Oh, well then why not make a deal with Jerry before Vince does?

Who else is going to the power plant?