WCW 1992: A New Era for World Championship Wrestling

image.png.d380c7177169f8fe21f0a876930be676.png

WCW's roster is led by Sting after the departure of Ric Flair earlier in the year to the WWF. 

WCW is also on the verge of losing Lex Luger who is the current WCW World Champion, and has been in negotiations to be granted a release and is expected to be off of tv and out of the company before the Spring.  WCW has a decision to make on who would be it's next World Champion.  Sting, someone else within the organization or a high profile wrestler that is brought it.  

WCW owner, Ted Turner, is very open to spending money on bringing in big names to bolster the WCW brand.  Behind the scenes,  Turner has said to be interested in becoming a legitimate competitor to Vince McMahon and the WWF and Turner is looking for the right man  to lead the organization to the next level.   

With Ric Flair gone and Lex Luger apparently on his way out of the company,  1992 may look like a very different WCW.

Ted Turner expects big things for WCW in 1992.  Loaded with solid heel workers,  the company is faced with building 2 or 3 more young charismatic baby face superstars or a high profile superstar to go with Sting.

image.png.d6a66f7358718ea4f039d5372c7fcde8.png

(Ted Turner steps up the microphone at the Press Conference to Announce new WCW Booker)

Ted: Thank you all for being here.  Today is the start of a new beginning for World Championship Wrestling.  I have promoted Eric Bischoff to lead our wrestling organization.  Eric and I have had several lengthy discussions on what he believes WCW needs to do to elevate our product for our wrestling fans and to bring new fans on board here at WCW.  Eric is a very intelligent man, I think he has represented to me a very keen eye and innovative approach to what a wrestling organization in the 90's should be.   I have told Eric that he has carte blanche as far as contracts of current talent and an open check book to acquire new talent for World Championship Wrestling.  

We will take a couple of questions here

Reporter:  Eric, it has been reported that Lex Luger is nearing his release from the company.  Have you made any effort to contact Lex and what does this mean for the WCW World Championship if Lex Luger leaves WCW?

Eric:  I have spoken to Lex Luger.  Lex is under contract with World Championship Wrestling.  He is our champion.  But I am looking for talent that wants to be here.  We will address the situation in the near future.

Reporter:   What is your biggest challenge  as you see it going into the new year as the head of WCW now?

Eric:  Number one, we have to have people here that the fans know, want to tune in to watch, want to go to the arena to see LIVE.  I am already in negotiations  with several well known talents about coming to work here.  I will leave it at that for now but more to come very soon as any negotiations are agreed on.  

Reporter:  The Ultimate Warrior has been in an ongoing legal battle with the WWF, asking for his release and being denied that release.  Would the Warrior be a talent of interest that we could see on WCW television?

Eric:  I am not going to comment on workers who are currently under contract with other organizations.  

Ted:  And with that, we are gonna wrap this up.  Thank you all for being here.  

image.png.d1798c4bc56c5d9ef0c96a4af1ad419c.png

Monday Week 1 January 1992

(Eric Bischoff holds a meeting.  Present are Dusty Rhodes, Ole Anderson, Paul Heyman and Jim Ross)

EricBischoff.jpg.32f46d7edfecc0800d3321e7ba7675b0.jpgDustyRhodes.jpg.65450c3d8dc12661e133ca41a3231ea8.jpgOleAnderson.jpg.1ff744f22e632897f1ad3bc55f428c1f.jpgPaulHeyman.jpg.aaf8c1ee2b6d663f9edc8b94dc306b26.jpgJimRoss.jpg.a49d584c6bb065a02dd36b7f922180ea.jpg

Bischoff:  Gentlemen, thank you for coming in so early in the morning.  As you know, Lex Luger has given notice to WCW that he intends to leave the company.  

Ole: That son of a bitch.  No talent.  Just a physique.  

Bischoff:  He's our World Champion.   You all will be a part of our booking committee where we will work together to come up with stories and to also handle how we deal with issues like this for television purposes.   How do you propose we handle this?  Who are we going to put the belt on?

Ross: Eric, I think you can only put the belt on Rude, Steamboat or Stinger right now.  I think those are our 3 guys.  I think Austin gonna be something but it ain't time yet for that.  I'd say Stinger.

Dusty:  Thtinger, Barry Windham, Rude, Thteamboat.  What about big Vader, Baby?

Eric:  I can't say anything yet, BUT, I am in negotiations with a top name in the business to join the roster as a wrestler.  But I don't think we will get a deal done in time to make it work to get him in the World Championship picture before the Super Brawl PPV.   Also, we are close to landing a couple of very experienced guys as far as behind the scenes to help us with booking.  Big names, a lot of experience and I am very close to landing a huge name to join us to do color on our broadcasts.  A-Lister in the wrestling business.  

Ole: Just a regular wheeler and dealer, aren't you, Bischoff?  (Ole gets up and walks out)

Eric:  That jack ass is not going to last long with me!

Ross:  What about giving the ole cowboy a call?  Bill Watts.  He's not working.  He wants to get back in the saddle.  He's got a lot of experience.  I can give him a call.

Eric:  Call him.  Set us up a time where we can talk on the phone.   Otherwise, we will talk at the TV tapings this week and decide how we will handle the Luger situation.  A match, a tournament, so on and so forth.   (Everyone gets up and leaves the room, Heyman stays behind)

Paul E:  Eric, I am willing to do WHATEVER you need done to help behind the scenes.  You got a bunch of stubborn good ole boys that just left this room.  They are going to be hard to deal with.  

Eric:  Thanks Paul.  That means a lot.   Let's get to work

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Huh there sure are alot of new dynasties about 1992 wcw sprouting up.

with bischoff coming to power early I wonder how long Austin, foley and Jim Ross will last.

Maybe heyman can convince Eric to give some ecw guys a try.

We do not need bill watts right now, he was terrible for WCW as head booker, His son Erik was shit, he killed the lightweight division banning top rope moves and was dead set on pushing wrestling back to the 70s.

If Ole leaves maybe they can convince Jim cornette to comeback and take his place. Smoky Mountain Wrestling could be turned into wcw's developmental territory.

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.31d55b74c11e26fbd6548c485d80cb64.png

EricBischoff.jpg.537562e1c09fd766c72d384014e0e019.jpg

Week 1 January 1992

Things are tight lipped coming out of the WCW camp under the new leadership of Eric Bischoff.  However, PWI has learned that Bischoff wants to make WCW profitable, quick.  He is expected to add more PPV events to the schedule and is also not happy with a talent roster near 60 in ring performers and wants to trim that number to closer to 50.   

The Lex Luger situation is also paramount to Bischoff to get resolved.  There is concern that Luger could leave the promotion as the champion as Ric Flair did last summer and take the WCW Championship belt with him.  Bischoff does not want that to happen and is trying to talk Luger into finishing out the final month of his contract.  Luger is all but done in World Championship Wrestling.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bababooey76 said:

image.png.31d55b74c11e26fbd6548c485d80cb64.png

EricBischoff.jpg.537562e1c09fd766c72d384014e0e019.jpg

Week 1 January 1992

Things are tight lipped coming out of the WCW camp under the new leadership of Eric Bischoff.  However, PWI has learned that Bischoff wants to make WCW profitable, quick.  He is expected to add more PPV events to the schedule and is also not happy with a talent roster near 60 in ring performers and wants to trim that number to closer to 50.   

The Lex Luger situation is also paramount to Bischoff to get resolved.  There is concern that Luger could leave the promotion as the champion as Ric Flair did last summer and take the WCW Championship belt with him.  Bischoff does not want that to happen and is trying to talk Luger into finishing out the final month of his contract.  Luger is all but done in World Championship Wrestling.

Well if you're cutting talent let's take a look.

Abdullah the butcher, monster heel made to fight Sting more of a special attraction and we have Vader and cactus jack now so send him back to Japan.

Butch Reed, doom's done and Ron Simmons is gonna be WCW champ around this time so put them both in a short feud that ends in a loser leaves town match and send Reed packing.

El Gigante, worst big man ever. Hiroshi hase, Don't know anything about him outside he's a politician.

Gordon solie and Jim Barnett, Been in the nwa for a long time so their old.

Junkyard Dog, only there cause he Turner's favorite wrestler apparently.

Magnum t.a. was injured back in the 80's.

Nikita koloff, was basically the Goldberg of the 80's but retires this year.

Pedro morales, the first triple crown champion of wwf pre Vince McMahon Jr and was arguably the 2nd biggest face behind bruno sammartino, but never one and gold in wcw.

Pez Whatley, never heard of him.

Ricky Morton, already gone.

Tex Slazenger, better known as mideon and one of the godwinns so off to wwf.

The barbarian, there's no warlord or meng or Haku to make a tagbteam with so bye.

Tony atlas, mr USA turned saba simba.

Tony halme, becomes Ludvig borga.

There you go, 15 future endeavors. Your welcome.

• Like 1

Kpuv5QL8DygA6KD14gxRzEvUb4D_LEOkfgpY7Zxx-XJLkzXrji_dvnLIUH0cyWTrBc_evbbRdaSXKQ8iwjURof6C3XHWT_UnZ3r_wwFjBZstbEL_kkdaClRgSvCXy4uod6EvyCqKe6yaIJYF5_sQkik

World Championship Wrestling 

January 1992 Week 1

Freedom Hall Civic Center 

Johnson City, TN

7.048 Attendance

Schiavone: Welcome to the Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City, TN.  This is World Championship Wrestling!  Please welcome me in joining my NEW broadcast partner .....Jesse The Body Ventura!

image.png

Jesse: That’s right, Schiavone.  The best in wrestling are in WCW so it is only fitting that Jesse the Body is here.

Schiavone: Let’s go to the ring!

Segment 1: Stunning Steve Austin defeats the Italian Stallion

Segment 2:  Ron Simmons defeats Terrence Taylor with Alexandra York

Segment 3:  The Steiner Brothers defeat The Wall Street Express with Alexandra York

Segment 4:  Schiavone interviews Barry Windham

(Schiavone talks about the Dangerous Alliance growing stronger.  Windham says he plans on taking one of those belts away from either Rude (US Title) or Austin (TV Title).  Austin comes out and tells Windham he can’t beat him OR Rude and says he’ll slap Windham around if he doesn’t shut his mealy mouth.  Acting Commissioner Dusty Rhodes comes out and says Windham will face Austin on World Wide Wrestling and if Windham wins, he’ll get a shot at the TV Title at Clash of the Champions in 3 weeks.  Austin and Paul E Dangerously are incensed!)

Segment 5:  Rick Rude, Steve Austin and Paul E Dangerously interview backstage

(Dangerously says Dusty Rhodes can’t just come out and make his guys face guys Rhodes likes and then storms off camera.  Rude says it doesn’t matter who you throw at us, The Dangerous Alliance is the biggest thing in WCW and it’s only going to get stronger)

image.png.7c5ad76c8d1b452fd819d0377f688fcb.png

Segment 6: The Diamond Studd with Diamond Dallas Page defeats Arachnaman 

Segment 7: The Junkyard Dog defeats Sgt Buddy Lee Parker 

Segment 8: Sting interview: (Sting talks about Lex Luger, he is interrupted by Larry Zbyszko who talks about the Dangerous Alliance's dominance and calls himself a legend.  Sting says he's beaten legends before and would love to beat another one) 

Segment 9: Beautiful Bobby Eaton with Paul E. Dangerously defeats Ricky The Dragon Steamboat after Arn Anderson hit Steamboat from behind

End Show 

.46 TV Rating (349,154 viewers)

Edited by bababooey76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sonny912 said:

Who are the wall street express? It can't the rock n Rolls under a new name cause you released them earlier right?

Richard Morton and Thomas Rich.  I created the name of the team.  They are members of the York Foundation.

• Like 1

8S1gaaFPYkB1f6ZZr2yEKmweN_dIUxR7dd-pcvfVDBd_BrCHGOXP2N7oT8HC91XhAldWfgcAue0bdZgmBv6ght-yEJzh1QKVtIFvl85PShoMr4q9l65rA0soD4wPlcWHP0L2iw6qopGiNXOVbRgYOjU

WCW WorldWide 

January Week 1, 1992

Georgia Mountains Center 

2,156 Attendance

Announcers: Tony Schiavone and Dusty Rhodes

55rRFWMouj-szB66iRZgEP0nMS77Gozl3peOpdn6gIvAZDsIE6MbzrmPXIoZpBQ_cxJn2eViT88KyhxSC_LlTPA2qYX3UmamYGNs83lHd1mRNG8mFJ7tKTAirnL-znAs_mtq4FExtr8KSa4NK0G4kQgNehO50-P7ZfAf5Ih-Sz2H1n-kHhceKpi9m2huZhSmUt_KDRJHqy2fiVFSKU9zZsgPi0tQvvQX9INb7S14y7yWrAYAPwtt-44HbcblhzShPd_GVGUduDDiDkCIwh5V1f1KPJSwY0L9A3TNrJI_ovvyqw

Tony Schiavone: Our Main Event this week on World Wide, Barry Windham will take on Stunning Steve Austin for the WCW Television Title

Segment 1:  Ricky The Dragon Steamboat vs Arn Anderson w Paul E Dangerously

Schiavone: Arn Anderson costing Steamboat the match yesterday on World Championship Wrestling was quickly granted a match with Arn Anderson here today on World Wide 

(Steamboat has Anderson ready to be pinned when Bobby Eaton hits the ring and attacks Steamboat!  DING DING DING, the ref calls for the bell and Steamboat wins via DQ.  Dustin Rhodes hits the ring to make the save of his co-tag champ partner vs the former champs)

Winner: Ricky Steamboat via DQ

Segment 2:  Tony Schiavone interviews Barry Windham

(Windham says he plans on walking out of here tonight as the Television Champion and that he, Sting, Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes are going to band together and stop the Dangerous Alliance recent rise in WCW)

NrSpa7vY8V01qvaXKMoJ7BYdcLoUuxUX1EeO38t495MbqJbkg2xTvxBdZnFP31uMlg6e-ACI7ESMvQUX0RXm-teyfIKlc1yOriM3p0kbGvxrzrnGrKmVMpql8eRaj7YuZErzyJ5H3SUYDqrpZHnUteM

Segment 3: Brian Pillman defeats Terrence Taylor

(Missy Hyatt comes to ring side to watch the match, she is making eyes at Pillman)

Dusty: Tony, I think Missy’s a lil sweet on Brian Pillman, Baby

(Pillman walks past and ignores Missy after the match)

Segment 4:  Vinnie Vegas defeats Z-Man with the Snake Eyes

Winner: Vinnie Vegas with the "Snake Eyes"

Schiavone: Oh my, Z-Man looks injured.  Medical personnel entering the ring to help out Tom Zenk.  A scary, scary moment right now

image.png.7d139e7f013f62a737e7bc9a5c191503.png

Segment 5: Main Event: WCW Television Title: Stunning Steve Austin © vs Barry Windham

Schiavone: Windham with the LARIAT CLOTHESLINE!  HE HAD AUSTIN DOWN FOR THE PIN!!! 1, 2, 3……NO , Rick Rude!!!  Rude pulls Austin out of the ring by his feet.  Now, the ref is counting Austin out of the ring,  7,8,9, and 10…..Windham is going to win by count out.  Windham had the Television Title won but Rick Rude saves Steve Austin.   We’re out of time! 

Winner: Barry Windham via count out

End Show

Edited by bababooey76
  • Like 3

LZmzYKUxigE5CZVYSzU8uwSLIF-3rfxWblVlvAKIMhArAsY6z-DA1tUfLiwCDFqEBuOTYcenNxVCHuO3Sie2XupHfbeyo4rc2SVAdmx0_cnqcH9zC1TLS7Xc6m_YYwA8sBAMQ3OngtojXWi_41OYvls

WCW Main Event

Sunday January 1992 Week 1

Georgia Mountains Center   2.180 Attendance

Announcers: Tony Schiavone and Magnum T.A.

_Be_CY0c1H-eFd5y9VajXywRSSc10yhCZiRI31e-UrE1o6wYUNRY2LmXfuZ9qGnzy8zCIJv_j7BqOuJNLu1DEy-EsFLF2F2Zg_ZJakoPGPaR4WSTn3jqaD0X8KCET9GGUq_dGgslbkFVyM059-XaKrc nkYTFM2Xg3tIPSAJ9nck7QhQBl9AUNKhMha8O16nBe0hOOeEBm6B7jeD9mtWKjcelfOjlbk9kDqvPCnLriK7yFe-X-eNvppnGBSQHycMNYwy_Q8MSbgRvhUFht2JV1jkShQnSoMdG_ynAb5Bq0kucRY

Segment 1   The Diamond Studd w Diamond Dallas Page defeats the Italian Stallion w Diamond Death Drop

Segment 2   Recap of World Wide match with Austin vs Windham where Rude saved Austin from being pinned

Segment 3  The Wall Street Express w Alexandra York defeat the WCW Patriots

Segment 4  Tony Schiavone interviews Ricky the Dragon Steamboat who takes on Larry Zbyszko in the Main Event this week

(Steamboat says he is tired of the unprofessional, cowardly tactics by Paul E Dangerously’s Dangerous Alliance and that he will beat Zbyszko tonight and The Natural Dragons (Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes) will beat Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton and retain the WCW World Tag Team Championships at Clash of the Champions XVIII in 2 weeks)

Segment 5   Ricky The Dragon Steamboat vs Larry Zbyszko 

Winner: Ricky Steamboat via DQ after Rick Rude, Steve Austin and Arn Anderson attack him as he had Zbyszko pinned.

(Sting, Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham arrive for the save and the Dangerous Alliance flees to the back)

End Show

Segment 5  WCW Television Title Match: Stunning Steve Austin © w Paul E Dangerously loses via intentional count out to Johnny B. Badd

Segment 6  Main Event: Ricky the Dragon Steamboat defeats Larry Zbyszko

Edited by bababooey76
  • Like 1

b8YoOt9rJ5BLmmUzxMUO1V9-XL_6ZULT_vfPB2wPzsdBqvty5SgJJ6ggonLp8_JLRlcwHTwuERsxdI9Te-ggGK-q72lcVAF_mo2DDrsQqu5hVZWjGr1Z8j0JmKIl7dclDbUcbU6APRycIGWakPvWgIg

Monday January Week 2

(Eric Bischoff meets with Lex Luger at a dive bar just outside of Atlanta.  Eric is 2 beers in, sitting in a booth in the back corner of the bar.  Luger enters the bar, Eric is annoyed as he sees that Luger is empty handed.  Luger sits down)

Bischoff:  Where’s the belt ?

Luger: I don’t want your belt Eric.  I am hanging on to it for security.  Once my contract is up next month, you’ll get the belt, without a shadow of a doubt

Bischoff:  Oh no, no, no.  You’re not going to hold me up.  I wired a $100,000 advance in good faith last week.  You’re ending your hold out, you are coming to Clash of the Champions and you are dropping the belt to Sting.  

Luger:  I don’t think that is going to happen, Eric.  Sorry

Bischoff:  I guarantee you it is going to happen or I am going to destroy you to the point that no one will hire you ever again.  

Luger:  Excuse me?  

Bischoff:  (Opens briefcase) Pulls out a folder and hands it to Luger 

lsk1lI8_w_K48Dp1d8L9xhgZEftlW6doobxBaKRjJl8jL7vbEgoaV_Zv4P1rvdQhF9ABNEiMdm9QBNLngkQuSjjE8d4f1rlqN2KI-7RyNnkSlfLJwcdJfJCgaOOnWjexOAhPjLhv2KaQatA8B3GmNoA

(Luger Opens File)  Lex Luger WCW Medical File

Luger:  Fine.  You win.

Bischoff: That’s right, I win.  Fedex MY BELT to my office.  If I don’t have that belt on my desk in 48 hours, I will make sure this report hits all of the dirt sheets and newsletters.  (Eric stands up, lays a $20 on the table)  Don’t ever fu*k with again.  I’ll see you at Clash of the Champions

(Bischoff walks out.  In the other corner of the bar Luger sees Scott Hall (Diamond Studd) and Kevin Nash (Vinnie Vegas) follow Bischoff out and they get in a car with him and drive off

Edited by bababooey76
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

image.png.d1798c4bc56c5d9ef0c96a4af1ad419c.png

(Bischoff sits in his office at WCW Headquarters.  His secretary buzzes him)

image.jpeg.cee66f49f5b17c2859462e5f72fe737b.jpeg

Secretary: Mr. Bischoff, they are both here.

Bischoff: Send them in. 

(Diamond Studd aka Scott Hall  and Vinnie Vegas aka Kevin Nash walk in)

image.jpeg.4ad78eb0ac7010a0e773fedbb82dfc35.jpeg image.jpeg.3ca26d68e0a3f72254a149de1b05e760.jpeg

Bischoff: (Shakes both of their hands) Gentlemen, first off, thank you for your help and your presence for my meeting with Mr. Luger.  I think you both being there convinced him that doing business was in his best interest.  (Hands each man an envelope with $5,000 in them).  Let’s keep our arrangement between us.  There may be occasions when I need your presence again.  We don’t need the boys in the back knowing about this.  But, this is going to lead to more for you both.  I am going to see to it that you both are pushed as a tag team and I want those tag team belts on you by the end of the year.  And I see BIG singles pushes for you both down the road.

Nash: Alright Mr Bischoff.  Whatever you need.

Hall: I’ll do whatever you need.  I appreciate the opportunity Mr. Bischoff.

Bischoff: Please, my friends call me Eric.  I’ll see you both at TV

this week.

Edited by bababooey76
  • Like 1