TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

30 minutes ago, d12345 said:

True, but what would be the point of explicitly adding a nomenclature and attribute change for play-by-play announcers if there were still no ring announcers in game? I read it as an obvious thing that wasn't big enough to warrant its own entry, but could be wrong.

Since we don't know the new Attributes, my money is on a 'Ring Announcer' attribute. So someone who does both, say Larry Legend, would be play-by-play/color by role, and someone who doesn't do play-by-play would be a Personality with the 'Ring Announcer' attribute.

35 minutes ago, d12345 said:

True, but what would be the point of explicitly adding a nomenclature and attribute change for play-by-play announcers if there were still no ring announcers in game? I read it as an obvious thing that wasn't big enough to warrant its own entry, but could be wrong.

To prevent people getting confused and creating ring announcers as "announcers" in-game. I'll be very surprised if they have been added and he just didn't bother mentioning it. 

• Like 4

I am not being negative on the idea just earnestly curious.

What would a ring announcer role add that a personality role doesn't accomplish in game already?

Edited by Astil
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Astil said:

What would a ring announcer role add that a personality role doesn't accomplish in game already?

I think the Ring Announcer role is pretty vital and impactful for small shows... and becomes a non-entity as soon as television gets involved. I've been to plenty of live events where the announcer is essentially the host, entertaining the crowd between bouts... and others where they put a trainee in his Dad's suit and crossed their fingers that he wouldn't pass out or accidentally swear in front of the kids. Jeremy Borash really improved the one TNA show I went to. You can replicate this with a personality and angles, but that's a lot of clicking. Setting up a guy as the announcer and getting one bonus/penalty to the final show rating would be sufficient for me. But not essential. It's not a hill I'd die on.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, queenbee092 said:

so the most recent additon to the journal says it will be releasing at american time, what time would that be?

they won't say. it will be a stealth drop

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Celebrities sounds amazing! Quick question - I know the entry says that popularity doesn't change according to how they're booked, just wondering if popularity was completely static or could change over the years as they got more/less well-known outside of wrestling? 

I wonder this too

1 hour ago, Self said:

I think the Ring Announcer role is pretty vital and impactful for small shows... and becomes a non-entity as soon as television gets involved. I've been to plenty of live events where the announcer is essentially the host, entertaining the crowd between bouts... and others where they put a trainee in his Dad's suit and crossed their fingers that he wouldn't pass out or accidentally swear in front of the kids. Jeremy Borash really improved the one TNA show I went to. You can replicate this with a personality and angles, but that's a lot of clicking. Setting up a guy as the announcer and getting one bonus/penalty to the final show rating would be sufficient for me. But not essential. It's not a hill I'd die on.

I think at a national TV level company, ring announcers are still important but mostly for big matches/main events. You think of the likes of Howard Finkel, Michael Buffer, or Bruce when switching to the MMA world. What Samantha Irvin is doing now. Does it add much to LWO vs. The Street Profits on Raw? No, but that big PLE title main event, the introductions help set the tone and having someone great at it really helps. So I think that having ring announcers in games who if they're skilled, have a small impact on crowd heat and match ratings in major matches would be accurate

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GoldenBrady said:

I think at a national TV level company, ring announcers are still important but mostly for big matches/main events. You think of the likes of Howard Finkel, Michael Buffer, or Bruce when switching to the MMA world. What Samantha Irvin is doing now. Does it add much to LWO vs. The Street Profits on Raw? No, but that big PLE title main event, the introductions help set the tone and having someone great at it really helps. So I think that having ring announcers in games who if they're skilled, have a small impact on crowd heat and match ratings in major matches would be accurate

I'd love to see notes come up like "Samantha Irvin gave Chelsea Green a quirky ring introduction" or "Justin Roberts made Jon Moxley's name last 23 seconds in his introduction" or "Tony Chimel's voice cracked trying to introduce Edge" randomly during shows. I wouldn't even need them to 'do' anything to the scores. Just flavour. If your ring announcer suddenly started adding extra ooomph to a job guy's intro... would you be tempted to use them more? I would. 

• Like 2

Hey, I have a question.

If the release time is a secret, why did he specify it'd be using American time instead of British time? If it's a secret it shouldn't matter what time it uses, right?

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Hey, I have a question.

If the release time is a secret, why did he specify it'd be using American time instead of British time? If it's a secret it shouldn't matter what time it uses, right?

GDS as a company is based in the USA so any release is on American time and it's not Adam himself who hosts/releases it - this is why the distinction is made. It's expectation setting more than anything else. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Idolized said:

Right click on your desktop > View > uncheck "Show Desktop Icons" and you can hide them

You can also play with display resolution and the scale settings in Display settings to get the game to take up more of the screen.

I didn't know that tip, I'll give it a shot in the beta but I'm still sure the background and everything will bug me. I'll try the beta tomorrow and see how this works though. 

2 hours ago, Bandiusha said:

@Adam Ryland I live in Europe, was wondering why TEW 2020 is 40 euros instead of 34 dollars, which is actually 31 euros... Will it be the same with TEW IX? 

I Just checked our system for France (Euros). It looks like there's around 7 Euros in taxes collected. We don't control that as it is handled by FastSpring (our CC processor). We just put in the price in USD ($34.95) and they handle the rest.

For a US purchase (just saw one from Massachusetts), the taxes are $2.18 for a total of $37.13. Some states don't have taxes collected (I know Nevada, South Carolina don't) and those places just pay $34.95.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Astil said:

It's semantics but to me calling Howard Finkel, Justin Roberts or Michael Buffer "personalities" doesn't seem accurate.

Also imagine you're putting on a big Wrestlemania main event and you have a horrid ring announcer who is flubbing lines? That could really hurt the presentation.

Edited by d12345
  • Like 1

Absolutely loved every day of the diary, I must say I'm a little sad we didn't get anything on Alliances or an answer on if we can move belts to child companies and back (without the title being vacated I mean) but hey, almost every announcement hit for me and I cannot wait till tomorrow

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ALinc said:

Absolutely loved every day of the diary, I must say I'm a little sad we didn't get anything on Alliances or an answer on if we can move belts to child companies and back (without the title being vacated I mean) but hey, almost every announcement hit for me and I cannot wait till tomorrow

I know nothing about alliances