TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, beatingstuff88 said:

I mean the subject are Default pictures aren't they? its those that are being turned into ai in IX so those are the examples i took, all i was saying is that you cant complain about AI being soulless and looking the same while you have the default pics where 11 different workers almost look the same (Like EdJames illustrates above)

Of course you still have Fan rendering stuff, and before AI boomed i used a lot of those too, but with those you are also at the whim of the art style the creator uses. Your Matthew Keith for example is a lot more "natural" looking than Aaron Andrews. 

Not to mention that the render maker also wants to take their time to make every worker as good as possible (as they should!) but then you run into the problem (that i really dislike) that for example you have the whole of the "main" USA workers in that render style, cool, but all workers from Canada, Japan, Uk and Mexico will still look like gremlins untill the render maker gets to them.

I get the AI complaints, but personally they have helped me a lot in coming up with workers and making them look consistently good since i am by nature not a creative person. 

I'm all for individuals or mod makers using AI as no money changes hands to be clear. I personally don't like the style but as long as there are options that good. 

Hopefully this is the only time generative algorithms are used in TEW IX...

• Like 2

Just now, Astil said:

I'm all for individuals or mod makers using AI as no money changes hands to be clear. I personally don't like the style but as long as there are options that good. 

Hopefully this is the only time generative algorithms are used in TEW IX...

This. This is pretty much my opinion

• Like 2

I love the addition of height and weight personally, gives me a much better sense of size than weight categories and allows for far better tuning of weight divisions, and I say this knowing full well I've now got to apply literally thousands of them if I convert RWC. My only complaint is 3'0" as a minimum height is too tall to accurately portray a mini like Ke Monito

On the AI renders, it's very low down on my list of things that could possibly turn me off of the game and I'm really not interested in the ethical concerns, but I must say I am very confused about the decision to go in that direction to begin with knowing there are a lot of people who have those concerns and it's not a stretch to say there are incredibly talented renderers on this forum who would happily manually re-render the entire database twice over for free if asked. I get that it's a lot quicker and easier to just go with AI but on the face of it, it just looks a bit needless.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Lukin said:

There is something kinda ironic about the implementation AI generated imagery while confining the game to (assumption based on previous post) a very outdated looking and tiny 1280x720 window that can't be scaled, resized, or recognize the flippin' mouse wheel.

TEW 2020 can use a mouse wheel not sure where this misinfo is coming from.

1 minute ago, Astil said:

TEW 2020 can use a mouse wheel not sure where this misinfo is coming from.

You can even use pg up pg down to quickly go through big lists

Just now, Questlove said:

There's still a few screens you can't use the mouse wheel on, anything graphical basically 

Curious...can you give an example? Do you mean the booking screen?

5 minutes ago, Lukin said:

There is something kinda ironic about the implementation AI generated imagery while confining the game to (assumption based on previous post) a very outdated looking and tiny 1280x720 window that can't be scaled, resized, or recognize the flippin' mouse wheel.

I mean, it's also kinda ironic to keep your product under a restrictive DRM system while also filling it with stolen art assets.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Questlove said:

I love the addition of height and weight personally, gives me a much better sense of size than weight categories and allows for far better tuning of weight divisions, and I say this knowing full well I've now got to apply literally thousands of them if I convert RWC. My only complaint is 3'0" as a minimum height is too tall to accurately portray a mini like Ke Monito

On the AI renders, it's very low down on my list of things that could possibly turn me off of the game and I'm really not interested in the ethical concerns, but I must say I am very confused about the decision to go in that direction to begin with knowing there are a lot of people who have those concerns and it's not a stretch to say there are incredibly talented renderers on this forum who would happily manually re-render the entire database twice over for free if asked. I get that it's a lot quicker and easier to just go with AI but on the face of it, it just looks a bit needless.

There's no way one person sits and does 3,000+ Daz3D style renders on their own just because Adam asked them to 🤣

We're now 14 years into the game and even those as prolific as J_Silver have barely rendered 5% of the database, let alone the much needed unassigned workers required.

5 minutes ago, Astil said:

The skills on any worker's profile, the roster of any company. Basically the screens you're always looking at the most lol

• Like 1

Just now, Questlove said:

The skills on any worker's profile, the roster of any company. Basically the screens you're always looking at the most lol

I just tested those you can use pg up and dwn/ arrow keys/ home and end but not mouse wheel. Never knew that.

4 minutes ago, EdJames said:

There's no way one person sits and does 3,000+ Daz3D style renders on their own just because Adam asked them to 🤣

We're now 14 years into the game and even those as prolific as J_Silver have barely rendered 5% of the database, let alone the much needed unassigned workers required.

It is a little bit different someone doing it as a part time fun thing and then someone doing it because they’ve been approached to do it to be fair. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Astil said:

On the workers screen for example. With colored lists off (thanks for that), I can now scroll down the list of workers. But I can't scroll down the other two elements on the screen which are displayed as lists with a visible scroll bar: skills and popularity. Do you really need to? No; it's better to click and view the full screen. But it's still wacky.

I'm not shaking the "i'm not gonna buy it" stick at the game; hell I only bought 2020 on June 21 and I'm probably going to buy this one right away because the depth is so impressive. But the *interactive* parts of the game are very *un*impressive. The real wrestling match is navigating the UI. It's a bit of a drag to see that the new game is built on the old.

Edited by Lukin

Posted (edited)

I like the idea of the weights/heights. I also like but am weary of the switch to AI just because of how hard it can be sometimes to establish a general "look" to things. Whether the lighting is different or the color-grading is off, or whatever. I would like to see a peek at a few of the new portraits they've made just to see if they have a consistent/regular look to them. One thing that's always bothered me is the mismatching positions of the image on the portrait. Like how some are to the side or zoomed in/out too much, or might have a different background compared to the rest even.

If it's more like the upper row compared to the bottom, I think I might die.

Untitled.png.db70ea53e5fbffc7df7666327c22bb90.pngUntitled2.png.2ae1c62d63dff25c67694c1554b48147.png_BlankBackground.png.4925e168ff23b3ff4d87961288d5cd89.png

ErikStrong_altai.jpg.a1b200bfb81aad77152ff877700e277b.jpgKianOwens_altai4.jpg.d3bde5f2d05075fa06dd3ba922eadb7a.jpgZoeAmmis_altai.jpg.692bdcc0f3a212d7b1169b82d7dfc2d6.jpg

I am hoping they share what the prompt-style of their generations are, that way people can match it.

Edited by Heinzreich
  • Like 4

Wow, forget to check the forum for a few days and I missed the game announcement and the first couple of days of hype. Amazing news.

I really hope the women's wrestling scene in the cverse gets some love in the basegame this year. 2020 felt very disappointing with basically only 2 companies and a very limited talent pool and kept me from ever really getting into the cverse as a result. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lukin said:

On the workers screen for example. With colored lists off (thanks for that), I can now scroll down the list of workers. But I can't scroll down the other two elements on the screen which are displayed as lists with a visible scroll bar: skills and popularity. Do you really need to? No; it's better to click and view the full screen. But it's still wacky.

I'm not shaking the "i'm not gonna buy it" stick at the game; hell I only bought 2020 on June 21 and I'm probably going to buy this one right away because the depth is so impressive. But the *interactive* parts of the game are very *un*impressive. The real wrestling match is navigating the UI. It's a bit of a drag to see that the new game is built on the old.

I wont argue the UI is dated to be clear.

Also fyi you can tab between the highlightable lists to use the arrow keys for speed. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Big Roguey said:

It is a little bit different someone doing it as a part time fun thing and then someone doing it because they’ve been approached to do it to be fair. 

Quick maths time...

• 3,000 renders.
  • 1,000 unassigned renders.
  • Assume 1 hour to do each render
  • Assume working 7 hours a day on it.

That would take one individual 571 days to complete with no commercial incentive to do it and the assumption that they are otherwise unemployed and can attribute that amount of time. 

Realistically, let's imagine it's someone doing 3 hours a night on it in their downtime. It's now taking three-and-a-half years.

Now let's assume that becomes a commercial arrangement and Adam pays the $30 an hour lowest-end rate for a 3D Renderer to spend the best part of two years doing this for him. 

Total final cost $120,000.
Plus the cost of the 3D assets required to make a varied 3,000 worker database of pictures varied and original. 

That wipes 4,000 buyers off the table for Adam assuming they each buy the game at an average cost of $30.

-----

So no, I'm not sure it is all that different 😂

Edited by EdJames
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Heinzreich said:

I like the idea of the weights/heights. I also like but am weary of the switch to AI just because of how hard it can be sometimes to establish a general "look" to things. Whether the lighting is different or the color-grading is off, or whatever. I would like to see a peek at a few of the new portraits they've made just to see if they have a consistent/regular look to them. One thing that's always bothered me is the mismatching positions of the image on the portrait. Like how some are to the side or zoomed in/out too much, or might have a different background compared to the rest even.

If it's more like the upper row compared to the bottom, I think I might die.

Untitled.png.db70ea53e5fbffc7df7666327c22bb90.pngUntitled2.png.2ae1c62d63dff25c67694c1554b48147.png_BlankBackground.png.4925e168ff23b3ff4d87961288d5cd89.png

ErikStrong_altai.jpg.a1b200bfb81aad77152ff877700e277b.jpgKianOwens_altai4.jpg.d3bde5f2d05075fa06dd3ba922eadb7a.jpgZoeAmmis_altai.jpg.692bdcc0f3a212d7b1169b82d7dfc2d6.jpg

I am hoping they share what the prompt-style of their generations are, that way people can match it.

That always bothered me massively too. I know when I did some of my pic packs I always had a template I use to keep the eye and chin line consistent. Putting a sample person alongside of shot to give scale perception helps too.

• Like 2