TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

Bonjour !

Very pleased with your announcements regarding the release of TEW IX. I've come to throw a bottle into the sea once again, but is there any chance of seeing the game translated into several languages one day?

As a content creator on Youtube (my let's plays average 10k views per episode), I get a lot of requests from the French community, for example, who have been dreaming for many years of a French patch for the license that would enable them to take the plunge and invest in the game.

Also for the "real world" database creators, please don't ignore the constantly evolving European circuit. Many French fans are ready to help you collect data on the French, Belgian and Swiss circuits. More and more monthly events are broadcast on VOD on YouTube. 
The Hungarian, Italian and Polish circuits are also expanding rapidly and deserve a place here too.

Well done once again for the new features of TEW IX, the developed political aspect promises to be one hell of a lot of fun, and we look forward to July 27. 

• Like 10

I am extremely happy for the size update. Sometimes, it was hard to visualise how a Middleweight would look against an Heavyweight so this is really going to help!

And the Geo Tags sounds like it will make growing as a company extremely fun. If you can have a progression from being tied down to one city to being a worldwide force that overtakes the major companies of foreign places, that really gives it a different feel.

11 minutes ago, Sturry said:

but is there any chance of seeing the game translated into several languages one day?

No, sorry, there's not. Putting aside what a massive job it'd be, I'd have to give the translator the game's code and that's much too great of a security risk.

• Like 1

Might get a lot of hate for this. But I truly don't mind the UI. Just love the features and what they will bring to my experience. The only UI thing I'd possibly want is regarding filters.

Adam, small question regarding the weights in training facility's. Will me putting all my graduates to be over 400kg reduce the amount of output the facillity gives or not?

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

No, sorry, there's not. Putting aside what a massive job it'd be, I'd have to give the translator the game's code and that's much too great of a security risk.

I understand, thx for the answer ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maxieboyyy said:

Adam, small question regarding the weights in training facility's. Will me putting all my graduates to be over 400kg reduce the amount of output the facillity gives or not?

It would not affect the output.

Posted (edited)

Just to offer my non-critical opinion:

I'm a big fan of the series, played a ton of hours of EWR and easily have played TEW 2020 for more hours, longer consistency, and greater enjoyment than many AAA game releases that have come out between then and now. 

When I saw a new game was announced a few days ago I got super excited and have already been planning out and making new logos for my first company (a lot will depend on how the C-Verse has evolved over the last few years). The features announced these first few days, in particular the Creative Energy and Inner Circle ones, already easily make this a day-one buy for me.

So now, it's mostly just sitting back and getting to enjoy the weekday journal updates until August rolls around and the fun begins. 

Thanks for making a new TEW, Adam and the GDS Team! 

Edited by kingvps3
  • Like 2

Adam,

Thank you for this new rendition, excited to see the next evolution.

Can you share further technical specifics on the AI renders for the upcoming release? Given the base UI is remaining the same and the game is transitioning away from the blue background for C Verse, is it safe to assume the current renders sizes will remain the same and base renders will be PNGs working in conjunction with the promotion specific images that can currently be assigned as backgrounds?

Just trying to chart the best path for creating future render content. 

Thank you for your efforts and commitment.

• Like 2

I like everything I'm seeing in today's dev diary. With regards to using real heights and weights, will there also be gimmicked heights and weights? Wrestling has a long history of wrestlers and promoters exaggerating both to make characters seem larger than life or to fit workers into their weight classes. Similarly, will worker weights change over time in-game?

5 minutes ago, lifterpuller said:

As far as the interface goes, honestly, I'd just be happy with being able to scroll-wheel or arrow-key my way down lists of workers. Anything else beyond that would just be cherries on top.

Go to your preferences, disable 'enable new-style coloured lists' and you can arrow key your way down a list of workers in TEW2020...

• Like 1

Just now, piccamo said:

Similarly, will worker weights change over time in-game?

I'm a bit curious as to how the transition from vague size classes to hard numbers will affect things like asking workers to get in shape -- like if I ask a Toned wrestler to beef up to a Muscular one, will their weight # go up accordingly (instead of going from "Toned Lightweight" to "Muscular Lightweight")?

Just now, Markw said:

Go to your prefrences, disable 'enable new-style coloured lists' and you can arrow key your way down a list of workers in TEW2020...

I had no idea. Thank you.

• Like 1

Will the model used for AI art be made known? There are varying degrees of ethics in AI coding at the moment and at least I would like to know I am not supporting an unethical AI indirectly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DJAPoster said:

Will the AI art be implemented for workers only? Or will we see them for company graphics and title belts as well?

Workers only.

38 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

Can you share further technical specifics on the AI renders for the upcoming release?

The sizes and formats remain the same.

26 minutes ago, Astil said:

Will the model used for AI art be made known?

It's Midjourney as far as I know.

Posted (edited)

Yeah that's a fair point.

I'm really anti AI, but I do get why you would go for it in an instance like this. Where the work required to update stuff is almost monumental.

But not only is there ethical questions about it, there is a big legal question hanging over AI right now. Though TEW's probably small enough for it to not be a huge concern, just ya know, be careful about it.

Edited by raspymorten
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, lifterpuller said:

As far as the interface goes, honestly, I'd just be happy with being able to scroll-wheel or arrow-key my way down lists of workers. Anything else beyond that would just be cherries on top.

Was just gonna say this myself, this is the one thing I missed from TEW16!

While an update would be cool, the UI is of little importance to me. So if it's no different that 2020 I personally and totally okay with it

27 minutes ago, Astil said:

Midjourney is extremely unethical and being sued in California. I will be passing on a game that utilizes this.

Yeah i'm really disapointed on this. I'm not 100% decided if i'm passing on the game myself, but absolutely will not be using any Midjourney content in my own TEW saves or dynasties.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My #1 hope for this game is that the in-game financials are reworked. It kinda takes me out of games when creating your own broadcaster is an infinite money glitch and when companies never struggle financially unless they upgrade their broadcasting too much. Owning your own broadcaster should cost a ton of money, in real life even a lot of the bigger streaming services are losing money because of how expensive it gets.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Rhaums said:

Yeah i'm really disapointed on this. I'm not 100% decided if i'm passing on the game myself, but absolutely will not be using any Midjourney content in my own TEW saves or dynasties.

+1. I started sketching out mod plans the moment I saw the phrase "TEW IX" and now I'm not 100% I'm going to buy.  I do appreciate the concession of making that not the only option, but the scraping and environmental concerns have already happened whether I download the result or not, yeah?

For mod planning purposes, can we please get an update towards the sooner side on whether there are any new/changed areas?  The geo tags thing almost makes me wonder if we can define the game world ourselves, which I would LOVE but won't hold my breath for.

Hyped for the creative team- usually backstage management is one of my least favorite areas of the game, but this sounds fun.

Kinda interested in the real heights and weights change, not sure if that'll be better or worse for my extremely silly fictional-character mods. 

Would love to see a third gender or maybe even pronoun options, with folks like Abaddon and Max the Impaler starting to get some traction.

• Like 1

As it's already been pointed out there are a lot of issues with AI, especially Midjourney, from standpoints of legal and ethical concerns. 

On top of that using AI renders also makes it near impossible to keep a level of quality and consistency of an image of a particular wreslter. Like I understand TEW X isn't really on your radar, but like if you wanted to produce that game or even a mid TEW C-Verse mod to get us to say 2025 and have a wrestler with a gimmick change (or even just changing their expression from a smile to a frown) - the AI is going to split out an image that at best looks like a relative of the wrestler from the previous image.

Feels to me like if you wanted consistency from the C-Verse the easiest method would have been just to decide on a style of render and make sure anyone that was paid to make them followed that style guide. The Thunderverse has been around from multiple games and has always kept the level of consistency I'm guessing you were going for.

• Like 6

Pleasantly surprised about this announcement.

The booking team feature will hopefully be really fun to tinker around with. I do have questions/suggestions...

1. Are the Booking Skills stats just one stat or will they have many sub stats that factor in? For example, Pat Patterson was always known as a "Finish Guy" as in he was able to come up with great finishes, so he would have a Finish rating in the 90s and he may have a Storyline stat in the 60s. Meanwhile, someone like Tony Khan is a better match maker than a storyline writer. So, he would have a higher match making rating than a storyline rating.

2. Can people improve on their booking stats by being on a booking team with highly skilled bookers? For example: Jim Cornette got into booking cause Ric Flair offered him a spot on the team. He worked with creative bookers like Flair, Kevin Sullivan, and Eddie Gilbert which helped mold Cornette to becoming a multiple time Booker of the Year.

3. Will there be triggers that lead to people being removed from the booking team? Stuff like decline in ratings, attendance, profits, etc?

4. Will there be an option in the editor so we can set up wrestlers to become bookers down the line?