Several venue suggestions

I think venues and there effects on a wrestling show are greatly underutilized in TEW. So here are some suggestions, some maybe able to be patched in in the future.

1. An option that lets you completely or partially disable generic venues. Generic venues are great, because all cities across the world have generic Halls and Ballrooms and Bars and whatever else with >1000 fan capacities. Some go through periods of not wanting wrestling or open/close so often trying to simulate them all is a real waste of time. However, I feel once you get over a certain capacity, I'd love to be able to turn off generic venues, forcing larger companies to have to choose between selling out that 10,000 seat arena or using the 20,000 seat arena to get 14,000 through the door. I think you could almost make it default that generic venues are only >5,000 people or something, but there's lots of potential ways to think about this.

2. Sell Outs vs. Not Sell Outs. I think crowds could potentially get a small boost if a venue is sold out. A tightly packed venue has a chance of a crowd rilling itself up. It shouldnt be 100% of the time, but some random chance (maybe factoring in prestige or hotbed to make it more likely, even the prestige or level of an event or tv show). Even just a hot bed or high prestige venue may have a small chance of getting an extra excited crowd even if not sold out. This can help boost shows. Think of when PWG was in Reseda. Further, running a show that doesnt sell out should have a chance of having a crowd die out due to the emptiness of the building. It shouldnt be guaranteed either, but just increase the chance "The emptiness of the building really took the heat out of the crowd." This makes people really want to maybe gamble a bit more. Run that guaranteed sell out 5,000 venue or that 8,000 venue with 6,500. You could have the amount of people under the capacity also effect the probability of the effect happening. So 7750 people in a venue meant for 8000 are less likely to suffer from this effect, but 5000 more likely. 50 people in a venue meant for 8000 is almost guaranteed. I think it should still be a probability and never a guarantee so people dont just crack the math code.

3. To play off the above suggestions, I think giving venues a "range" capacity may be useful. Lots of venues, especially arenas and stadiums, have multiple setups that allow them to operate without seeming super-empty. This could be more useful to simply increase the amount of venue sizes available. For example, Madison Square Garden's wiki page lists its wrestling capacity at 18,500, but its concert capacity at 20,000, boxing/MMA is 20,789, Ice hockey is 18,006. Having MSG with a capacity of say 16,000-20789 would be great as it allows you to pack them in, or use a slightly different set up with some very slight tarping but not have it seem empty. But running MSG with only 15,000 or 14,000 fans means more tarping and therefore point 2 would possibly take effect.

4. Venue Suitable For/Venue Attributes... I think having a few standard things you can mark a venue suitable or not suitable for certain things. Or less suitable at least. Some venues are simply better for TV. A good reason WWE/AEW run arenas as they are very suitable for all the production needed for a live tv show or production of their level (maybe a way to tie production levels/costs to venues too, but that could get complicated). This simply encourages some venues to be used in certain circumstances more than others. A venue marked as "Set up for live telecasts" may have a small bonus or no additional production costs for putting on a tv show or PPV there. Where a venue not set up for it, if running a live TV or PPV may have a "running a Live event here requires an additional $25,000 in production costs" or some jazz. This again just adds some realism and strategy to running shows.

I think this idea of venues being suitable for things could also apply to match types. Some venues simply cannot hold a cage match. Especially smaller venues. This could even have a few different levels. So a big arena again can be marked as maybe "Quick Cage Setup" which allows cages to be lowered with almost no pause in shows. A smaller venue where the cage is built by hand by production during the event may have "Cage Must be Built" or however it can be worded, which while it allows cage matches, has a chance of cooling the crowd slightly. Other venues may have a much more strict "no cages will fit" attribute. Cages/chambers are the obvious examples, but I've also been in venues where a ladder match simply isnt plausible because of the ceiling height. Having a low ceiling height venue may limit certain match types like ladders, cages, ect, but also may penalize high flying workers/matches. When you start to think of it as "venue attributes" I imagine given time lots of people could think of many attributes.

You can also take this a step further to maybe include some version of risk levels tied to certain venues. A Church may rent out its hall to a family friendly promotion, but not a deathmatch promotion for an extreme example. But even in real life, lots of venues may not want death matches or blood, or scantily clad women, or minis or whatever have you. You can also add attributes that give bonuses to certain styles or things. A strip club venue may have a bonus to eye candy matches, but hate family friendly stuff. Obviously Mexican venues would almost all prefer Lucha Libre style products, but some American or even Japanese venues may have small boosts or preferences to them as well. Having attiributes or settings that may provide small boosts or penalties based on things like this, even down to worker styles, could add lots of complexity.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 1

I mean, I think right now they're only looking for small, easily-patched-in ideas for between the beta release & full public release, but these are all good ideas for big patches later down the line.