[BETA] Territory Daze

Cesáreo Anselmo Manríquez González was El Medico. Is this him?

http://www.luchawiki.org/index.php/Médico_Asesino

Edit - No, different person. AI Claude was able to confirm this was a different El Medico, and is not the El Medico "Killer Doctor" who worked throughout the 1970s in EMLL and became NWA Light Heavyweight Champion and Mexican National Light Heavyweight Champion, and feuded with (and teamed with) Alfonso Dantes.

Claude did add this detail, so TIL: "Legal Protection: In Mexico, a wrestler's mask and ring name can be legally protected, which further helps maintain the mystery of their identity."

Because of that last point, it might be worth putting these guys in, and just using their gimmick name as their name. Sure beats leaving them out, or using "Jose Lopez" or some other placeholder phone book type of name.

Edited by thadian

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ToKfB said:

is there a version of this that can be played without death dates in it , or is there an easy way to mass remove them so it can really be a "What if"

The game will ignore future death dates, it won't have any effect once the game begins. But if it particularly bothers you just use the external editor and delete them all. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ToKfB said:

is there a version of this that can be played without death dates in it , or is there an easy way to mass remove them so it can really be a "What if"

Yes, what jhd said.

If you mean make "Deceased" workers active though, you can do this via the editor too by mass editing "Set Game Status To..." to "Active". However, none of the deceased workers have any skills or attributes because I obviously knew they had already passed so didn't need to do any of that sort of thing.

But to answer your broader question, no, I certainly haven't done any version of Territory Daze with everyone active.

• Like 1

• Mammoth changed the title to [BETA] Territory Daze
DOWNLOADS

DATABASE

Click Me

PICTURES

Click Me

Okay, here is Version 0.10 of Territory Daze for Total Extreme Wrestling IX. The reason it's not "Version 1.00" is because a lot of the dates still need to be done. I haven't touched 'Title Lineages', I'm half way through 'Employment Histories' and 'Graduates', and I'm barely into 'Tag Team' dates (and moves). Therefore, you can ignore these as they aren't errors, they're just things that I haven't got to yet, hence this is more of a public BETA than a fully fledged release.

I know most of you have been following along so I'm not going to mention what I've already done for a third time, but if you did miss it, you can read up on it on one of my earlier posts here.

As always, if you'd like to buy me a bottle of Coke (I don't drink coffee) for my continued work, you'll find the information below. Please enjoy yourselves and experience an era of professional wrestling that many of you wouldn't have experienced before, especially in a game that truly brings this era of wrestling to life.

Grey Dog Software has recently made it very clear that we aren't allowed to link directly to donations on their forums to ensure they're covered if anything was to go wrong, but they've graciously allowed people to do it through third party websites such as social media. Therefore, I've created a Twitter account to simply link people to my (or more importantly my wife's) PayPal account. Please be aware that all my modifications are and ALWAYS WILL BE freeware and I do them because I enjoy it, but if you would like to give me something in return then it'll be truly appreciated. Thanks.

Link: Click Me

• Like 14

"El Médico" was the wrestling persona of José Ángel Vargas Sánchez, a professional wrestler who gained popularity in Mexico during the 1970s. He was known for wearing a mask that resembled a doctor's face, hence the name "El Médico," which means "The Doctor" in Spanish.

In that era, masked wrestlers (luchadores enmascarados) were very popular in Mexican wrestling (Lucha Libre), and El Médico was part of that tradition. His character often played the role of a villain (rudo), and he participated in many matches, known for his strength and technical skills.

Although El Médico might not have achieved the global fame of other wrestlers from that time, like El Santo or Mil Máscaras, he remains a memorable figure in the Mexican wrestling scene of the 1970s.

------------------

Just asked ChatGPT about this one. Let me know if it's helpful! @Mammoth

Edited by Bandiusha
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bandiusha said:

"El Médico" was the wrestling persona of José Ángel Vargas Sánchez, a professional wrestler who gained popularity in Mexico during the 1970s. He was known for wearing a mask that resembled a doctor's face, hence the name "El Médico," which means "The Doctor" in Spanish.

In that era, masked wrestlers (luchadores enmascarados) were very popular in Mexican wrestling (Lucha Libre), and El Médico was part of that tradition. His character often played the role of a villain (rudo), and he participated in many matches, known for his strength and technical skills.

Although El Médico might not have achieved the global fame of other wrestlers from that time, like El Santo or Mil Máscaras, he remains a memorable figure in the Mexican wrestling scene of the 1970s.

Unless I'm really missing the point here, none of this is true. That isn't El Medico's real name, it's Angel Blanco's name. El Medico wasn't a key memorable figure in lucha in the 1970s, he died in 1960.

I wouldn't trust ChatGPT to write bios for any wrestler but those so famous that you wouldn't need it to help you write them in the first place.

I had a similar thing recently where, out of curiosity, I asked it a question about an early 20th century vaudeville performer, and it got none of the information correct and invented a completely fictitious opera. ChatGPT doesn't actually answer questions, it just produces a response that its algorithms deem looks like an answer to your question, and the more obscure the question, the less likely the answer is to be accurate.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Unless I'm really missing the point here, none of this is true. That isn't El Medico's real name, it's Angel Blanco's name. El Medico wasn't a key memorable figure in lucha in the 1970s, he died in 1960.

I wouldn't trust ChatGPT to write bios for any wrestler but those so famous that you wouldn't need it to help you write them in the first place.

I had a similar thing recently where, out of curiosity, I asked it a question about an early 20th century vaudeville performer, and it got none of the information correct and invented a completely fictitious opera. ChatGPT doesn't actually answer questions, it just produces a response that its algorithms deem looks like an answer to your question, and the more obscure the question, the less likely the answer is to be accurate.

I can't see any evidence that Angel Blanco was ever known as El Medico so you're right that ChatGPT is spitting out some nonsense, but there were other El Medico's after the one you mentioned who died in 1960. Cagematch seems to attribute the specific El Medico who was NWA Hollywood Tag championships with Pepe Lopez to Luis Hernandez, but I guess to Mammoth's point it could be anyone under the mask

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bandiusha said:

------------------

Just asked ChatGPT about this one. Let me know if it's helpful! @Mammoth

Just of note, in the future, use Perplexity if you need real-life information. ChatGPT, like other chat bots, cannot say no. If you ask it something it doesn't know, it will make up something to answer you and provide you with false information. Perplexity is more suited for research and provides source so you can verify what it told you.

For comparison, Perplexity pointed me to this page for El Medico ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Médico_Asesino ) who died in 1960 and that there is an El Medico who wrestled Fred Blassie in 1970 according to this source although, it doesn't know who that is ( https://www.whenitwascool.com/history-of-wrestling-1970 ) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skummy said:

Aw shoot, so you want to say that my historical essay about Percy Fawcett written by Chat GPT won't pass? Gosh, and I was looking forward to tell everyone about how he discovered waterfalls and was first to build gold cities and golden pyramyds in the Amazon Jungle.

All jokes aside though... It is a shame, but wasn't expecting it to be this easy since Mammoth said he couldn't find anything legit about him anywhere.

• Like 1

I would recommend setting Titles and (at least for some promotions) events as fixed. I see a lot of "[Promotion Initials] Heavyweight title" being crowned in promotions that are NWA territories that would solely use the NWA Heavyweight title instead. Similar situation with promotions running random events with generic game generated titles when they already have plenty of events already that are house shows and/or end of month shows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shooltra said:

Just of note, in the future, use Perplexity if you need real-life information. ChatGPT, like other chat bots, cannot say no. If you ask it something it doesn't know, it will make up something to answer you and provide you with false information. Perplexity is more suited for research and provides source so you can verify what it told you.

For comparison, Perplexity pointed me to this page for El Medico ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Médico_Asesino ) who died in 1960 and that there is an El Medico who wrestled Fred Blassie in 1970 according to this source although, it doesn't know who that is ( https://www.whenitwascool.com/history-of-wrestling-1970 ) 

Which is about what you would find with a Google search. Perplexity (and other RAG GPTs) is marginally better than something like ChatGPT, but still has a proven record of hallucinating and citing nonsense sources. Admittedly, in perplexity's case most of its hallucinations are second hand (https://gptzero.me/news/gptzero-perplexity-investigation/). It is still relatively likely to spout nonsense at you in response to your question.

I'm as yet unconvinced that there is actually a use case for current gen chatbots in research. They're great at generating human sounding text, but none of them are particularly reliable in terms of giving you real answers to questions. If you need information and it matters whether it is true don't use a GPT.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Doctor Crunch said:

Which is about what you would find with a Google search. Perplexity (and other RAG GPTs) is marginally better than something like ChatGPT, but still has a proven record of hallucinating and citing nonsense sources. Admittedly, in perplexity's case most of its hallucinations are second hand (https://gptzero.me/news/gptzero-perplexity-investigation/). It is still relatively likely to spout nonsense at you in response to your question.

I'm as yet unconvinced that there is actually a use case for current gen chatbots in research. They're great at generating human sounding text, but none of them are particularly reliable in terms of giving you real answers to questions. If you need information and it matters whether it is true don't use a GPT.

I agree... i was trying to find out the proper weight of the wrestlers in a mod by testing Meta AI, it's not always accurate. A database of wrestling, even if it's wrong in some elements, it's a better choice than a AI.

Love this mod. Played it so much on 20, I didn't think I'd come back. And yet...

Some changes that I make before starting a game, in case they're helpful:

Vince McMahon -- He should be active and working for WWWF by 1970. (Most sources have him starting as a ring announcer around 1969.) Getting him assigned to the family business also helps with simming because otherwise he often takes over a company when a job comes up due to his high reputation. (Although I did head canon a shady takeover from the northeast when he took control of Florida in my last game.) I also prefer a worse version of Vince, so I add Needy (he's on the Needy to Sleazy to Scumbag pipeline), Horndog, and Stooge to his attributes. 

Speaking of Stooges, you don't have any. Gerald Brisco, Michael Hayes, Pat Patterson, John Laurinatis, Hulk Hogan all jump to mind.

Keeping with the new attributes, I think Host With the Most could be applied more broadly to workers known for carrying interview segments. Roddy Piper, Bobby Heenan, and Bruce Prichard seem the most relevant.

I make a number of broadcasting changes that I think help the mini superstation era of the late 70s play a bit better.

• TBS, WGN, and MSG should all be commercial cable. Broadcaster changes can't switch the type of network, so if you want to simulate the transition from terrestrial to cable for TBS and WGN, you really need two broadcasters with the terrestrial ones set to close. I think that creates more problems than it's worth and there are plenty of broadcasting options, so it's easier to just switch those three to cable (and push WGN's open date to 11/78).
  • Madison Square Garden Sports Network should also be a commercial cable broadcaster that debuts 9/77 and changes its name (and broadens its reach) to become The USA Network in 9/80. MTV (8/81) should also be in the data. FOX (maybe a bit far into the data to worry about), should roll out in 10/85. A number of the syndicated broadcasters should have hard close dates as they begin aligning their programming around this time.
  • This is more of a personal preference thing, but I prefer limiting broadcasters (except PPV and internet) to 1 company and 2 slots. This keeps companies from conglomerating on the same networks and adds some scarcity/stakes to TV. I also limit all terrestrial broadcasters to companies based in the originating area, except for the US border regions, Canada, and Mexico. Cable is where foreign companies get to try breaking into TV.

I'm curious to see how the world plays with no written contracts until 1983. I feel like this might actually bog down the game world (without guys going exclusive, fewer workers will get hired overall). I'm also excited to try out the more lenient talent trading/alliance loans. Workers in the 70s might not have been signing iron clad non-competes but I do think some of them were territory exclusive and were sent around largely by the NWA to crush competition. In my past runs, I've seen exclusive guys do plenty of touring in allied territories, so I think this was simming effectively even with exclusives. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for all you do. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Edited by MainOffender
  • Like 4