I want to play, but overwhelmed, what is the best way to start out?

Total Extreme Wrestling is one of the most dense games I have ever seen. I have loved simulations since the 1980s but I have always found TEW difficult to get into.  It's a bit like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings in that respect too - there's just so many tiny pieces of the machine all whirring away at the same time it's tough to know what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

To be clear with TEW, it really isn't the vast universe that causes me problems (i.e., having Japan, Mexico, India, etc. all doing their thing simultaneously). 

It's more the sheer number of things you can do as the owner or booker of a fed.  It's tough to know, of the dozens of things you can do, you should focus on these X, Y and Z things, then when you get a hang of those, move on to fiddling with A, B and C. There is just so much that goes into contracts, booking matches, etc.

Does a newbie want to start out as a tiny fed for example?  Or as a big one? Is the tiny fed too tough because of financial restrictions or is the big one worse because you have to start out juggling 10,000 priorities from day one?

What is the best way to start and ease into the game - and what is the best way to start and have a sense of making meaningful progress, like successful angles, making a rookie into a star?

3 minutes ago, beemer said:

Total Extreme Wrestling is one of the most dense games I have ever seen. I have loved simulations since the 1980s but I have always found TEW difficult to get into.  It's a bit like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings in that respect too - there's just so many tiny pieces of the machine all whirring away at the same time it's tough to know what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

To be clear with TEW, it really isn't the vast universe that causes me problems (i.e., having Japan, Mexico, India, etc. all doing their thing simultaneously). 

It's more the sheer number of things you can do as the owner or booker of a fed.  It's tough to know, of the dozens of things you can do, you should focus on these X, Y and Z things, then when you get a hang of those, move on to fiddling with A, B and C. There is just so much that goes into contracts, booking matches, etc.

Does a newbie want to start out as a tiny fed for example?  Or as a big one? Is the tiny fed too tough because of financial restrictions or is the big one worse because you have to start out juggling 10,000 priorities from day one?

What is the best way to start and ease into the game - and what is the best way to start and have a sense of making meaningful progress, like successful angles, making a rookie into a star?

Small feds come with their own issues. It's a smaller scale, which can be easier. But you also run on tighter margins. You have to fend off bigger promotions from signing your guys. 

Bigger feds have huge budgets, more complexity etc. etc. 

I've loved USPW since the start so even though they're #1 now, they're my go to. And it can be a lot. I would suggest, pick a fed you like and can stick with. One that will keep you invested. Maybe even run a few shows, learn what works/what doesn't and then start a new save. 

And ALWAYS TURN OFF AUTOSAVE! 

This is what I would do:

1. Pick a game (you said you love the 1980s, pick a save from the 1980s
  2. Ask yourself - What do you want to see?  When do you want to see it?  How would it play out?
  3. Book it

Play as whatever promotion you want.  Play as whomever you want.  Book whatever you want.  Learn the game as you have fun booking weird stuff.  Used the editor.  If you are running out of money, add more money.  Learn each thing slowly.

34 minutes ago, beemer said:

The link above has a lot of good advice.  Another user has mentioned for people wanting to get an understanding using RAW, since you've got money and talent to work with without the competitiveness of North Americas scene and you can see the mechanics of the angle functions... after that, as stated above, tour the universe or scope out the "Product" section to read descriptions of products, and find a company with one that suits how you would like to play this game best (I love the series because it's almost endless in how you can approach the gameplay).

Posted (edited)

Thank you all - I have a great love for wrestling and sims. And the booking / storytelling aspect of wrestling. I just bought the game, literally a few seconds ago. Chalk up a sale for the cool community members who responded to me all while I was walking the dog. :D

Since a lot of the game is built around contracts and revenue, are there any financial tips you would have to staying viable?

Edited by beemer
  • Like 1

Be careful about growing too fast, and be very cautious about upgrading production for TV.

Always upgrade your marketing.

Remember, that workers from outside your home area will have hidden extra costs.

Some of the backstage rules can cost enough to sink you.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the best way is to be in a mid-sized company in the United States. Of course, it's better to know a few wrestlers to have an idea of who they are if you're playing with a real-world database.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to use the editor. Play around with a wrestler's stats to see how their match and promo ratings change, or give yourself money if needed. That's what I did when I was discovering the game, then I wanted more of a challenge. The in-game editor is useful for doing a lot of things and also a great way to understand the game's mechanics.

And I find it hard to believe that no one has told you this here, but the question mark in the top right corner is your friend. It opens the player handbook. Almost everything is explained there. With the new keyword search system, it's even easier to find all the explanations on a specific topic.

I can imagine TEW must be daunting for new players, so I hope you don't let that discourage you.

Personally, I've exclusively played big companies for a long time because as a wrestling fan I have an easier time to relate to how I think a wrestling company with a weekly TV show and a monthly PPV should be booked and run. In terms of the Cverse, TCW is my personal fave, but USPW or SWF have a bigger financial safety net that can essentially function as a bit of an easy mode. But of course, as you said, more workers and more shows also means more things to manage.

Over the last couple of versions of the game I've also had a lot of fun with smaller promotions like MAW as a small throwback territory or (another personal favourite) IPW as a hardcore up and coming company.

With smaller companies, there's less things to manage and you get ahead in time faster, which can be fun. But I would only advise playing with small companies if it doesn't kill your fun and motivation when your best up and comers and biggest stars sometimes get stolen by bigger companies.

I decided I would alter the database and create a new company in the Hudson Valley area in New York.  No people except for my Avatar, no ratings or anything, lowest production values.

Of course it did a show on day one (when I had hoped it would be end of month), so I was able to hire enough local workers to put on a quick show.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, beemer said:

I decided I would alter the database and create a new company in the Hudson Valley area in New York.  No people except for my Avatar, no ratings or anything, lowest production values.

Of course it did a show on day one (when I had hoped it would be end of month), so I was able to hire enough local workers to put on a quick show.

Events & TV, Add/Modify events, first thing that I do :) You can obviously just start a new save, no harm done.

58 minutes ago, beemer said:

Yah, if you ever do that again, go to Schedule in the company set up and set it to "Ultra Fixed", the schedule will be empty.  I had that happen to me a few times when I made costume graphics and everything, and then had to spend 30 minutes deleting shows I didn't want on my schedule. 

I think the advice to have for any starting player for any game is --- just play on.

This is a single player game so you shouldn't give yourself too much pressure compare to a multiplayer game. Just start your first few games as a learning experience and mess around. Focus on learning and don't be discouraged if you aren't doing well. It's all about understanding and learn the game with these saves so you can do better next time. 

To answer your question more precisely, I would say the best first start as a learning experience for a newbie is a small or medium company anywhere. Small or medium company is usually easy to book and has a roster intact so you can focus on booking shows without thinking too much to start.

If you want to learn more about booking angles and storylines though, I would give a big company like SWF a few month run. Don't care too much about the number (result), just focus on booking storyline for a few months.

As you have started with your own company though, I would say it's impossible to fail to grow with 0 population due to how the game is designed. You have a ton of freedom to mess around and "do dumb things" and still go up in pop so I suggest you try out everything you can do no matter how ridiculous it is. Be experimental so you learn more. Only thing you need to care a little bit is the financial but the financial part is not too hard anyway if you have some simulation/tycoon game experience. I would even argued that it is super easy.

21 hours ago, beemer said:

Honestly with this version if you want to learn the mechanics start with RAW - it's the largest fed in Oceania but it's basically PG era WWF style wise so it's very easy to understand what to book.  It's lots of angles and high Star Quality people with little actual wrestling.  It has it's challenges but is also wealthy enough and in a good position so you can make mistakes.  It's not a fed people play all that often once they learn the game but as a starter it's a good choice. 

• Like 1

Start with a small size company and go from there. They're generally big enough that as long as you don't spend mindlessly you can have fun but don't have the daunting challenge of learning an absolute shedload of names. Find out a few names who get you good ratings and get yourself attached to them as your projects and your ace(s). I find investing in a smaller group of people makes building the game fun, and as time passes you build your own mental inventory of who you like and dislike and where you see the game going.

Also, don't be afraid of messing up. That's part of the joy of booking - sometimes what you think will work will wind up... Not. Learn to go with what the game gives you, sometimes that's where the most fun and surprising turns in a game come from.

I just want to add that you can give yourself money via the in-game editor.  You might want to just give yourself 999,999,999 dollars to start.  You can still play to make a profit, but if you do make a monetary mistake, or just can't balance the books right away, you won't feel like you ruined the save.

Thanks - these are all good suggestions. I think giving the fed more money via the editor could be a good option.  It was something I hadn't considered much before (even though I cheat in like every other game). But it seems good to help with rookie mistakes. I only play single-player games, but with something so fleshed out like TEW, it seemed like a lot of the game was centered around being successful (making $). But I guess it's much more emergent storytelling (which I am a huge fan of).

So I started Hudson Valley Wrestling from scratch, using Dr. Funkenstein and $125,000. I got 2-3 road agents, 2 refs, an announcer / color guy. Then a few mid-30s vets and a lot of rookies. Centered around charisma/mic and good in the locker room. One show a month (losing about 1K-2K a show). All the production for the fed was at zero to start, reputation is insignificant.

The roster is:

Candy Floss
Joanna Silver (Women's Champ)
Olivia Diamond (Total Champ, former Women's Champ)
Power Girl
Velvet Suarez
Allie Perks
Joy Rider (former Women's Champ)
Kate Mishler
Mellow Flashhart

Blitzer
Bomber
Daredevil Aero
Dr Funkenstein (Men's Champ)
Jack Holder
Texas Hangman
Phil Anders
Amo del Gato
Jerry Pepper
Philippe LaGrenier
Prime Time Jack Pryde
Rafe Sashay
Romeo Romero
Sheik (I repackaged Reilly Patton, who has almost no charisma)
Zippy Deverell (Former Men's Champ)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, beemer said:

Thanks - these are all good suggestions. I think giving the fed more money via the editor could be a good option.  It was something I hadn't considered much before (even though I cheat in like every other game). But it seems good to help with rookie mistakes. I only play single-player games, but with something so fleshed out like TEW, it seemed like a lot of the game was centered around being successful (making $). But I guess it's much more emergent storytelling (which I am a huge fan of).

So I started Hudson Valley Wrestling from scratch, using Dr. Funkenstein and $125,000. I got 2-3 road agents, 2 refs, an announcer / color guy. Then a few mid-30s vets and a lot of rookies. Centered around charisma/mic and good in the locker room. One show a month (losing about 1K-2K a show). All the production for the fed was at zero to start, reputation is insignificant

After a while, you will realize that making money is so easy of a goal that you will be looking for something else. I think most people play it like a sandbox and try to book their favorite characters into stardom or other non-money related goals. Or try to grow a hardcore fed into a global conqueror, that sort of fantasy challenge (don't see it being possible in real life)

But for your fed. If you are a 0 pop 0 prestige insignifant fed, and if we talking about a standard worker usage at that level , you don't need more than 1 road agent and ref. And announcers aren't necessarily until you have broadcast (like a tv programme and what not). The live crowd don't need announcers to watch the shows. You are, in theory, overspending on all those guys which make up your losses. If you want some reference on budget shows for a start from scratch fed, check out the Road to Glory thread for some reference. It's a challenge that starts the players with just $1,000 and a 0 pop 0 prestige fed. Not saying you need to play that way too, but it's a good reference for you to see how others are budgeting on a start up fed.

With 125K startup budget you can screw around all you want and should eventually get to profit before you burn all your money just playing regularly. I am just sharing that you can cut out some of those non-wrestlers unless you really like them.

Edited by Goliathus

7 hours ago, Goliathus said:

After a while, you will realize that making money is so easy of a goal that you will be looking for something else. I think most people play it like a sandbox and try to book their favorite characters into stardom or other non-money related goals. Or try to grow a hardcore fed into a global conqueror, that sort of fantasy challenge (don't see it being possible in real life)

But for your fed. If you are a 0 pop 0 prestige insignifant fed, and if we talking about a standard worker usage at that level , you don't need more than 1 road agent and ref. And announcers aren't necessarily until you have broadcast (like a tv programme and what not). The live crowd don't need announcers to watch the shows. You are, in theory, overspending on all those guys which make up your losses. If you want some reference on budget shows for a start from scratch fed, check out the Road to Glory thread for some reference. It's a challenge that starts the players with just $1,000 and a 0 pop 0 prestige fed. Not saying you need to play that way too, but it's a good reference for you to see how others are budgeting on a start up fed.

With 125K startup budget you can screw around all you want and should eventually get to profit before you burn all your money just playing regularly. I am just sharing that you can cut out some of those non-wrestlers unless you really like them.

I often play to amuse myself and I think thats the best way to play the game for your own enjoyment above anything else- for instance I didn't intend to play a Road to Glory game until a debate yesterday meant I decided to test the random character creation mechanics myself.  I ended up with someone who had great Sex Appeal and Strong SQ with decent Menace too but I didn't want to play some Randy Orton knockoff so I did this

image.png.2ab8c4adf237576e15ba3bdf6e976645.pngimage.png.fdedc89dd07754f6ec84d13189967ce3.pngimage.png.eb6a22c2d20c2a3a25f34cc50ef23a68.pngimage.png.b0b9416f84171408756e30ef7b26e1e8.png

Alan Falcon a guy who has 3 alter egos - Rainbow Warrior, Freya Tuck Oceania's Premier Exotico (well lets face it only Exotico) and Daemon.  He's going the throw stuff against the wall until something sticks.  It makes me happy to just play as someone so not Cverse.  Will they succeed - I have no idea but I'm going to have fun doing it and I think thats the way to play the game - games are meant to be fun, so my advice to anyone is play the game the way that you find the most fun.  If thats Deathmatches go for it, if its Japanese Puroreso go for it, If it's Lucha Libre go for it and if it's a crazy kid trying ridiculous gimmicks in a region that doesn't really have a place for them then go for it.    

• Like 1

When I got started on TEW way back with 2016, I too was overwhelmed. I tried several companies but couldn't quite get it. Someone recommended AAA to me, and that did it. Now, AAA is no longer around, true, but QAW is very close; in fact, while AAA hooked me on TEW, QAW is the company I fell in love with. You're small enough that you don't have to worry about some of the problems bigger companies have, like 7 or 8 owner goals, but not so small that you can't get on TV. Furthermore, being restricted to women means you're not inundated or paralyzed with the sheer amount of prospects that you would be if you were playing a company that employs men. (This might be the ONLY benefit to the C-Verse's neglect of women's wrestling.)

• Like 2

Watch play throughs on twitch or YouTube I am sure there was a top tips for beginners video on YouTube already.

Just treat it as a sand box game the first time don’t put pressure on yourself, learn as you go, turn on the dirt sheet so after segments you can see why it did well or didn’t do well.

check preferences and untick things to make the game to your liking. You can always turn them back on when you feel like more of a challenge.

Here is the top tips…

Here is a small company on one the hardest settings, I love auspicious Aussie he isn’t afraid to take chances and if they don’t work we all learn together

Edited by Woodsmeister
Added content

On 8/14/2024 at 1:17 AM, beemer said:

So I started Hudson Valley Wrestling from scratch, using Dr. Funkenstein and $125,000. I got 2-3 road agents, 2 refs, an announcer / color guy. Then a few mid-30s vets and a lot of rookies. Centered around charisma/mic and good in the locker room. One show a month (losing about 1K-2K a show). All the production for the fed was at zero to start, reputation is insignificant.

The roster is:

Candy Floss
Joanna Silver (Women's Champ)
Olivia Diamond (Total Champ, former Women's Champ)
Power Girl
Velvet Suarez
Allie Perks
Joy Rider (former Women's Champ)
Kate Mishler
Mellow Flashhart

Blitzer
Bomber
Daredevil Aero
Dr Funkenstein (Men's Champ)
Jack Holder
Texas Hangman
Phil Anders
Amo del Gato
Jerry Pepper
Philippe LaGrenier
Prime Time Jack Pryde
Rafe Sashay
Romeo Romero
Sheik (I repackaged Reilly Patton, who has almost no charisma)
Zippy Deverell (Former Men's Champ)

A lot of your choices made the cut in my scouting thread so I think you are on the right track roster wise (Siler Suarez, Rider, Mishler Flashart, Funkenstein, Holder, Hangman, Pryde & Deverell were all on the list of best US or Canadian prospects under 30).  The only one off my list that isn't there is The Masked Grappler -honestly pick him up if you can - he's a great Menacing Heel, can be your backstage enforcer and can be on your booking team too.  You can always find a different mask in the unassigned masked workers if you dont like his default look.

Mexicans to consider if they are still free Blue Phantom, El Avatar, El Enigma, Fuego Fantastico, Shandi (manager) & Styx.  If they aren't available in the US you can speak to them first and ask them to become available and if they agree you could sign them.  I mention them because it's possible some of your talent will get poached.

Talking of poaching.   IPW's Charlie Corner, NYCW's Super Massive Destroyer FCW's Brett Kyle are all good gets - NYCW's Cory Underwood is potentially great but he's a complete SOB.  It's worth at least looking at them to see if they fit what you are looking to do.