Lucha Underground in the Cornellverse

So I have done a number of saves now where I create a company inspired by the late Lucha Underground in the Cornellverse. I usually use Pablo Rodriguez since A) he's a lucha legend and it makes sense and B) he isn't doing anything at the start of the game anyway. 

I use the grindhouse lucha libre product, and I usually set the company to be small at start. I'd like to do medium, to get access to press conferences, but there just isn't the overness in the free agent market to support that at start. 

As for my roster, it's varied with each iteration, but there's a handful of must-signs for me for a lucha underground style product. A lot of them I push based on who I most identify them with from LU. 

• Frankie-Boy Fernandes, who's great as a swaggering pretty boy heel. He's great for the Johnny Mundo role.
  • Electric Dreamer, who is a fan favorite and a big merchandise mover. She's a natural for the Sexy Star push. 
  • Death's Head, who is wonderful as a monster heel. He's perfect for that Mil Muertes vibe.
  • Samael the Accuser, another great monster heel. I use him as my Matanza. 
  • Papa Swoll, who is just fun to have in the locker room and who has buckets of charisma. He fits my The Mack needs. 
  • Aztec Prince, a terrific brawler with a great name and look. He's a shoe-in for King Cuerno. 

Other regular signings include Deadly Deadshot, Cali Slick, Aldous Blackfriar, American Flash and Remmy Skye. 

I'm curious, who in the Cornellverse would you sign to a Lucha Underground-style fed? Has anyone else played with the grindhouse lucha libre product? What's your take on it? 

• Like 1

Amazing Fire Fly

*wait is he available from jump, i think so?  sorry i don't have the initial game open

If he is, without a doubt Amazing Fire Fly.

also Payaso Jr and Mustang Blanco Jr.  El Ladron.  California Love Machine.  

Jobber to The Stars:  Remmy Honeyman

Edited by elmiticomark

Oh yeah, Amazing Fire Fly is a big get as well. I usually sign him, though he often gets poached by EILL.

CLM is another one of my regulars. Right now, he, Remmy Skye and Animal Harker are part of a faction called Team Bro that is very, well, bro-ey. 

I'll have to check out the others you suggested!

A company like that already Exists. EMLL in Mexico. Take a look at their characters even if you don't play it, it might inspire some ideas.

With out specific workers in mind I usually try these things

A stable based on the seven deadly sins.
A stable based on the actual four horseman myth

I usually do a few monsters (Vampire, Werewolf, and such) and then a guy who comes in as a monster hunter

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm familiar with EMLL. And I raid their roster pretty heavily. I know that they're intended to be the LU equivalent, but I like  having trios and multi-man matches and I prefer running  my own promotions with my own rosters. 

Those are good stable and storyline suggestions though!

Edited by Sigilistic

One thing I've found doing this myself? Having the right feel for wacky plots and characters feels more important than direct homages. At least to me. 

So like King Lion might be "Drago". But he's some ancient lion spirit. Or maybe those two Octopus and Squid guys in can't believe aren't a default tag team become part of some weird Cthulhu style cult backing up some monster heel for a Lovecraftian version of Mille.

That said, Cosmic Rider is pretty darned Aerostar.

Edited by JackNo

You have to ask him to work in the US, but El Orgulloso is my favorite Luchador, and starts as a total free agent. I love your idea of Frankie-Boy Fernandes as Johnny Mundo; that's a great comparison, though Frankie doesn't have the big league pedigree (yet).

Doctor Tecnico! Rey Soldado is a great partner for him, too.

I'd say Martyr and Phobia should be locks also. I team them up as Nightmare 13 but anything horror related would work.

Super Diestro, Guerrero Muerto, Panda Mask II, White Angel, Altitude, Astro, Devil May Care, Demon King, Masked Cougar, Monkey Man, Mono Maniacal, Snap Dragon, Snap Dragon Jr, Calavera, El Hijo de Espada Rojo, Huracan Sandoval Jr, Tiger Prince, King Lion, Tigre Salvaje Jr. Would all be great fits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody316 said:

Do you run it as a LU style TV show with seasons? If so how do you have that set up Always wanted to do a save like LU or the WOS reboot that was built around seasons of a TV show but never really found the best way to set it up

I don't but I would just because I am curious how well that system might work.

I am a huge fan of turning EMLL into an LU-style fed; I know the lack of multi-man and tag options is a deterrent, but I see it as a great storyline opportunity to introduce those concepts into the company using the lore (as part of the rings) or having one of the main event talents be a reason it was created, they did some multiverse magic, or however you want to write it. In my opinion, it solidifies the talent as a historical figure in the organization and "makes" them.

On 9/2/2024 at 2:13 PM, Eugucgi said:

I don't but I would just because I am curious how well that system might work.

I'm going to have to look into doing something like this if I ever decide to restart my current LU themed save. Currently I just put together 2 shows a month. But, it could be interesting if there's a way to film a whole season and then take an extended break. Might be nice on the checkbook.