Another Tournament Title Q

I know there is another thread on this topic but it appears to have gone off kilter. Just a quick question. The tourny title is set to be defended in a certain month and, as stated by Adam, restrictions on gender and weight can result in the tourny not being run. Now, if for some reason I don't run my tourny in the month I've set, will I be penalised a la advance booking? I'm sure its already in since it makes perfect sense but I just wanted to confirm.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;150598]When the belt is in an AI-controlled promotion it will stick to the approach given above; an annual tournament for the title. If you are controlling the promotion which holds the belt then you are not forced to follow that example, but you will be reminded in the Extreme Eye during the month in question that a tournament is due..[/QUOTE] As Adam said, you don't have to run the tournament if you're running a promotion with a tournament "belt".

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;150598]When the belt is in an AI-controlled promotion it will stick to the approach given above; an annual tournament for the title. If you are controlling the promotion which holds the belt then you are not forced to follow that example, but you will be reminded in the Extreme Eye during the month in question that a tournament is due..[/QUOTE] As Adam said, you don't have to run the tournament if you're running a promotion with a tournament "belt".

[QUOTE=Lukiep8;150598]If you actually read the thread, and the idea, Adam only talked about the AI booking their tournaments. Player tournaments are seperate and Adam hasn't spoken about them yet.[/QUOTE] Funnily enough I did read the thread. My point is, if a tournament title is set to be defended in say January, shouldn't fans expect the defense to take place and shouldn't they also be diappointed if it isn't? Using The Royal Rumble as a clumsy example (to be honest I don't know of any better ones, but I'm sure there are annual cups and tournaments), we all expect it to take place in January, its an annual event with the "title" of Royal Rumble winner on the line, now imagine if one year WWE just didn't run it, there would be huge fan dissappointment and thats what I wondering about, although no match/participants are advanced booked, the event itself is still expected to take place. I know Adam was talking primarilly about the AI but the concept of tournament titles still exists and so my question is relating to that. Or is speculation and curiosity discouraged?

[QUOTE=Lukiep8;150598]If you actually read the thread, and the idea, Adam only talked about the AI booking their tournaments. Player tournaments are seperate and Adam hasn't spoken about them yet.[/QUOTE] Funnily enough I did read the thread. My point is, if a tournament title is set to be defended in say January, shouldn't fans expect the defense to take place and shouldn't they also be diappointed if it isn't? Using The Royal Rumble as a clumsy example (to be honest I don't know of any better ones, but I'm sure there are annual cups and tournaments), we all expect it to take place in January, its an annual event with the "title" of Royal Rumble winner on the line, now imagine if one year WWE just didn't run it, there would be huge fan dissappointment and thats what I wondering about, although no match/participants are advanced booked, the event itself is still expected to take place. I know Adam was talking primarilly about the AI but the concept of tournament titles still exists and so my question is relating to that. Or is speculation and curiosity discouraged?

The fans in the game world don't KNOW the title is set to be defended in January though. It's not like you've come out and said "this title is going to be defended every January". It's purely a guidline for the AI to run their tournaments from. The AI doesn't know about WWE's King of the Ring tournament, for example. So this is the way to tell it "Hey, guys, the real life WWE normally has a tournament in July", so that it knows to run one. It has no effect on the player whatsoever (except for giving the player the same reminder of course. "Hey, player, the WWE has King of the Ring this month remember, are you going to keep that going?"). There's no penalty for not doing so. The fans aren't expecting it unless you actually advertise the event itself via Advanced Booking. I can kinda see your point about fan dissapointment, but meh.. Kinda hard to simulate that really. And hey, we weren't THAT bothered about them cancelling the King of the Ring...

The fans in the game world don't KNOW the title is set to be defended in January though. It's not like you've come out and said "this title is going to be defended every January". It's purely a guidline for the AI to run their tournaments from. The AI doesn't know about WWE's King of the Ring tournament, for example. So this is the way to tell it "Hey, guys, the real life WWE normally has a tournament in July", so that it knows to run one. It has no effect on the player whatsoever (except for giving the player the same reminder of course. "Hey, player, the WWE has King of the Ring this month remember, are you going to keep that going?"). There's no penalty for not doing so. The fans aren't expecting it unless you actually advertise the event itself via Advanced Booking. I can kinda see your point about fan dissapointment, but meh.. Kinda hard to simulate that really. And hey, we weren't THAT bothered about them cancelling the King of the Ring...

[QUOTE=flamebrain;150688]Funnily enough I did read the thread. My point is, if a tournament title is set to be defended in say January, shouldn't fans expect the defense to take place and shouldn't they also be diappointed if it isn't? Using The Royal Rumble as a clumsy example (to be honest I don't know of any better ones, but I'm sure there are annual cups and tournaments), we all expect it to take place in January, its an annual event with the "title" of Royal Rumble winner on the line, now imagine if one year WWE just didn't run it, there would be huge fan dissappointment and thats what I wondering about, although no match/participants are advanced booked, the event itself is still expected to take place. I know Adam was talking primarilly about the AI but the concept of tournament titles still exists and so my question is relating to that. Or is speculation and curiosity discouraged?[/QUOTE] Well, if you go to an even called the Royal Rumble, and there was no type of battle royal at all in it, I would be dissappointed. To further this, they have advanced booking saying that there will be a Royal Rumble each year, so... again, that would be the same as in 2005. Now, if you do not have a PPV called the Royal Rumble, and fan's do not pay to see the Royal Rumble, and you have not promoted ahead of time that there will be a Royal Rumble, then there will be no ill effect for not having it. For example, if there is no King of the Ring Tournament on Smackdown next year, will Smackdown lose overness? Will it effect who watch's the show's? I don't think so, just my two cents here. I am just trying to clarify the difference between an advanced booking (and thus expectation), and a tournament that you may or may not have. I would imagine the Tournament would have no ill effect, if you do not have it. However, if you promote that your going to have it, and don't, then it will. Does that help at all?

[QUOTE=flamebrain;150688]Funnily enough I did read the thread. My point is, if a tournament title is set to be defended in say January, shouldn't fans expect the defense to take place and shouldn't they also be diappointed if it isn't? Using The Royal Rumble as a clumsy example (to be honest I don't know of any better ones, but I'm sure there are annual cups and tournaments), we all expect it to take place in January, its an annual event with the "title" of Royal Rumble winner on the line, now imagine if one year WWE just didn't run it, there would be huge fan dissappointment and thats what I wondering about, although no match/participants are advanced booked, the event itself is still expected to take place. I know Adam was talking primarilly about the AI but the concept of tournament titles still exists and so my question is relating to that. Or is speculation and curiosity discouraged?[/QUOTE] Well, if you go to an even called the Royal Rumble, and there was no type of battle royal at all in it, I would be dissappointed. To further this, they have advanced booking saying that there will be a Royal Rumble each year, so... again, that would be the same as in 2005. Now, if you do not have a PPV called the Royal Rumble, and fan's do not pay to see the Royal Rumble, and you have not promoted ahead of time that there will be a Royal Rumble, then there will be no ill effect for not having it. For example, if there is no King of the Ring Tournament on Smackdown next year, will Smackdown lose overness? Will it effect who watch's the show's? I don't think so, just my two cents here. I am just trying to clarify the difference between an advanced booking (and thus expectation), and a tournament that you may or may not have. I would imagine the Tournament would have no ill effect, if you do not have it. However, if you promote that your going to have it, and don't, then it will. Does that help at all?

As Adam says on his post on the subject: "[I]you will be reminded in the Extreme Eye during the month in question that a tournament is due[/I]." So the tournament is due, all I'm asking is are the fan's expecting it? If they are and you don't run one, will you get a penalty along the lines of not having an advanced booked match on the show? The first year the King of the Ring didn't take place as an event in its own right (on PPV) myself and all my friends were dissappointed as we'd come to expect the annual event, much like the survivor series (which also didn't last). The Smackdown version only just started so I can see your point about fans not missing it. I don't know for sure but is the Super J Cup an annual thing? If so is it expected to be run around the same time. (don't attack me if I've displayed a lack of knowledge on Japanese Wrestling :) ) I guess for my point to apply the tourny would have to be run for a few years before it was meaningful enough for fans to miss, which probably couldn't be factored into the game. I can see everyone's points and I know my examples aren't the best since my frame of reference is the WWE, who don't really have a grasp of continuity. I know what I mean, but seem unable to put it accross so I'll just quietly hope that the game includes it. :)

As Adam says on his post on the subject: "[I]you will be reminded in the Extreme Eye during the month in question that a tournament is due[/I]." So the tournament is due, all I'm asking is are the fan's expecting it? If they are and you don't run one, will you get a penalty along the lines of not having an advanced booked match on the show? The first year the King of the Ring didn't take place as an event in its own right (on PPV) myself and all my friends were dissappointed as we'd come to expect the annual event, much like the survivor series (which also didn't last). The Smackdown version only just started so I can see your point about fans not missing it. I don't know for sure but is the Super J Cup an annual thing? If so is it expected to be run around the same time. (don't attack me if I've displayed a lack of knowledge on Japanese Wrestling :) ) I guess for my point to apply the tourny would have to be run for a few years before it was meaningful enough for fans to miss, which probably couldn't be factored into the game. I can see everyone's points and I know my examples aren't the best since my frame of reference is the WWE, who don't really have a grasp of continuity. I know what I mean, but seem unable to put it accross so I'll just quietly hope that the game includes it. :)

[QUOTE=flamebrain;150914]I don't know for sure but is the Super J Cup an annual thing? If so is it expected to be run around the same time. (don't attack me if I've displayed a lack of knowledge on Japanese Wrestling :) )[/QUOTE] It has only been run 4 times, '94, '95, '00, '04. Also it isn't promotion specific or held at a set time of year, a couple have happened in like April and one in like december not sure about the fourth. The Best of The Super Juniors (BOSJ) is an annual Super Junior tournament held in NJPW however. I was also very dissapointed when the KOTR was first shortened and everything then was dissapointed a little when they stopped doing it (though I was less dissapointed because it had become less then what it had been). Same with Survivor Series the first year they stop having multi-man eliminations or had just one or two I was pissed. I used to love the build up to the teams being made.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;150914]I don't know for sure but is the Super J Cup an annual thing? If so is it expected to be run around the same time. (don't attack me if I've displayed a lack of knowledge on Japanese Wrestling :) )[/QUOTE] It has only been run 4 times, '94, '95, '00, '04. Also it isn't promotion specific or held at a set time of year, a couple have happened in like April and one in like december not sure about the fourth. The Best of The Super Juniors (BOSJ) is an annual Super Junior tournament held in NJPW however. I was also very dissapointed when the KOTR was first shortened and everything then was dissapointed a little when they stopped doing it (though I was less dissapointed because it had become less then what it had been). Same with Survivor Series the first year they stop having multi-man eliminations or had just one or two I was pissed. I used to love the build up to the teams being made.

My understanding of all of this is that the fans will only be upset if you advance book the tournament for the show. If it's a tournament title then that, if I understand correctly, can be defended however you'd like. It's the AI that has to follow the guidlines and such. I can't wait for this game to be released. I haven't played the previous games as much as I'd have liked, but the added features for 07 appear to make the game that much more enjoyable. The ability to have a tournament title will finally let me run a Number One Contender's Trophy Tournament as a tourny title as opposed to a regular belt.

My understanding of all of this is that the fans will only be upset if you advance book the tournament for the show. If it's a tournament title then that, if I understand correctly, can be defended however you'd like. It's the AI that has to follow the guidlines and such. I can't wait for this game to be released. I haven't played the previous games as much as I'd have liked, but the added features for 07 appear to make the game that much more enjoyable. The ability to have a tournament title will finally let me run a Number One Contender's Trophy Tournament as a tourny title as opposed to a regular belt.

I think tournaments should have prestige, if a tournament works well, fans will like to see it done again. As an example you have ROH Survival of the Fittest, the first was great, and the tournament continue, but with the poor performance in 2005 ROH decided not to use it anymore... People bitch on it, and Gabe decided to book it again. Why did people bitch on it? because the tournament won prestige from the first editions and people would be disapointed not to get another one. I think it sould also be "Event Traditional Matches", in Survival Series, fans will expect to have some elimination matches, is a tradition. The example used with Royal Rumble is the same thing

I think tournaments should have prestige, if a tournament works well, fans will like to see it done again. As an example you have ROH Survival of the Fittest, the first was great, and the tournament continue, but with the poor performance in 2005 ROH decided not to use it anymore... People bitch on it, and Gabe decided to book it again. Why did people bitch on it? because the tournament won prestige from the first editions and people would be disapointed not to get another one. I think it sould also be "Event Traditional Matches", in Survival Series, fans will expect to have some elimination matches, is a tradition. The example used with Royal Rumble is the same thing

Archived