Football Manager 2007 Demo

davidEFC

I always thought the real question should be "are we talking about football or football" with a reply of "which is which?" and a suibsequent answer of "We're talking about the game where the primary method of doing stuff to the ball is KICKING THE DAMN THING YOU SILLY AMERICANS!!!!" (warning: that was a joke) I've often wondered how American football got its name considering the sport bears more in common with Rugby than it does with football. No-one ever knows the answer to that, I may have to make an actual investigation one day. If YOU know the answer, please let me know. Back on topic, I'm still 4 years behind on Champ Manager/Football Manager games. I only recently started playing CM4 properly since my old computer tried to explode whenever I wanted to play that. Watford are always my team of choice, but I may have to change that if I play the new version. I HATE starting with Premiership teams but I do enjoy playing in the English leagues. I may live in Scotland, but lets face it, our teams suck :) Derek B

I always thought the real question should be "are we talking about football or football" with a reply of "which is which?" and a suibsequent answer of "We're talking about the game where the primary method of doing stuff to the ball is KICKING THE DAMN THING YOU SILLY AMERICANS!!!!" (warning: that was a joke) I've often wondered how American football got its name considering the sport bears more in common with Rugby than it does with football. No-one ever knows the answer to that, I may have to make an actual investigation one day. If YOU know the answer, please let me know. Back on topic, I'm still 4 years behind on Champ Manager/Football Manager games. I only recently started playing CM4 properly since my old computer tried to explode whenever I wanted to play that. Watford are always my team of choice, but I may have to change that if I play the new version. I HATE starting with Premiership teams but I do enjoy playing in the English leagues. I may live in Scotland, but lets face it, our teams suck :) Derek B

[QUOTE=derek_b;152116]I may live in Scotland, but lets face it, our teams suck :)[/QUOTE] True. lol. ;) However in your defence, i'm a Man Utd fan and I love it when we play against Rangers or Celtic as they're always tough games. The recent game we had against Celtic was nail biting stuff for me. 0-1 to Celtic, 1-1, 2-1 to Man Utd, 2-2 at half time - argh!

[QUOTE=derek_b;152116]I may live in Scotland, but lets face it, our teams suck :)[/QUOTE] True. lol. ;) However in your defence, i'm a Man Utd fan and I love it when we play against Rangers or Celtic as they're always tough games. The recent game we had against Celtic was nail biting stuff for me. 0-1 to Celtic, 1-1, 2-1 to Man Utd, 2-2 at half time - argh!

I've been playing the demo, and I've really liked the improvements so far. I'm playing as Stafford Rangers (Conference Nat.) and I've already received a touchline ban - oops. I also like the whole board takeover addition. Reading had a board takeover in my game giving the manager £60mill to spend :eek: Roll on October 19th. ([I]I've pre-ordered from Gameplay so hopefully I'll get it on the Thursday![/I])

I've been playing the demo, and I've really liked the improvements so far. I'm playing as Stafford Rangers (Conference Nat.) and I've already received a touchline ban - oops. I also like the whole board takeover addition. Reading had a board takeover in my game giving the manager £60mill to spend :eek: Roll on October 19th. ([I]I've pre-ordered from Gameplay so hopefully I'll get it on the Thursday![/I])

[QUOTE=derek_b;152116] I've often wondered how American football got its name considering the sport bears more in common with Rugby than it does with football. No-one ever knows the answer to that, I may have to make an actual investigation one day.[/QUOTE] Strictly speaking, football is called 'association football' (from whence soccer, an English term no less). Rugby, which came from a schoolboy at Rugby deciding to pick up the football and run with it (which elsewhere would have got him a kicking, but Rugby is a posh school) is also known as rugby football. American football evolved from rugby which is why there are so many similarities - posts, kicking etc. As to why it's called American football and not American rugby, I don't know, but I suspect that it's to highlight the (minimal) role of the foot, in contrast to basketball and baseball. I believe that gridiron predates American football as a term for the game - but don't quote me on that.

[QUOTE=derek_b;152116] I've often wondered how American football got its name considering the sport bears more in common with Rugby than it does with football. No-one ever knows the answer to that, I may have to make an actual investigation one day.[/QUOTE] Strictly speaking, football is called 'association football' (from whence soccer, an English term no less). Rugby, which came from a schoolboy at Rugby deciding to pick up the football and run with it (which elsewhere would have got him a kicking, but Rugby is a posh school) is also known as rugby football. American football evolved from rugby which is why there are so many similarities - posts, kicking etc. As to why it's called American football and not American rugby, I don't know, but I suspect that it's to highlight the (minimal) role of the foot, in contrast to basketball and baseball. I believe that gridiron predates American football as a term for the game - but don't quote me on that.

Archived