DOTT World Tag Team Cup

Egads... I was kind of hoping that Ted & Dr. Death would win that one (19 minutes?? Ouch!). Adonis & Murdoch will have their hands full against Brody & Hansen. Are you always playing as the first team listed in the match-up? If so (and even not), which has been your favorite team to play in the DOTT World Cup?

The 19 minute match surprised me too, D. Boon's! I certainly expected Dibiase and Williams to put up much more of a fight. For the first round, I was doing a coin toss to determine who I would play as, but for the Best 16 I have been playing both teams myself. That's why the Best 16 has taken longer, cause playing both makes my mouse finger more tired for some reason! ;) As far as who has been the most fun to play, I've got to go with The Road Warriors! When I was growing up, I didn't have many chances to see them, but when I did, I was a serious Hawk and Animal mark. Though not the most skilled of teams, their presence and look really drew me in. And there is something really satisfying about connecting with that Skyhigh Lariat! :D Second would probably be The Dynamic Duo. Gino and Chris seem to work really well together when I have played them. I knew absolutely nothing about them until I started playing the 1983 scenarios on TEW and WreSpi, but the way they have been captured here has made me a fan! I only wish I had had a chance to see more WCCW. Due to the isolated place I grew up in, we mostly got WWF and of course Tomko's All-Star and Stampede! Anyway, thanks one more time for a fantastic scenario and everything it's helping me learn about the kayfabe era!

Quarterfinals [B][U]Match 1[/U][/B] [B]The Bruiser & The Crusher vs. The Von Erichs[/B] That Kevin and Kerry have come this far is a surprise to many, especially having beaten the formidable Brisco Brothers in their last match. The Bruiser and The Crusher certainly have plenty of experience in their favour, but their age may prove to be their undoing. The Von Erichs put on a great display of tag team wrestling, isolating their opponents and wearing them down and their superior conditioning proves to be the difference maker. Fritz has got to be proud of his sons for winning this one! [B]Winners[/B]: [B][COLOR=Red]The Von Erichs[/COLOR][/B] [B]Kerry[/B] with the [B]Iron Claw [/B] submission on [B]The Bruiser [/B] at 38:00. Rating: C [B][U]Match 2[/U][/B] [B]The Road Warriors vs. The Midnight Express[/B] The powerful team of Hawk and Animal dominate this match from the get go, using their experience as a team to pull off some fine double-team moves. Condrey and Eaton won't go down without a fight as Eaton kicks out of a Skyhigh Lariat late in the match and The Midnight Express rally a strong comeback! But it's simply too late as Eaton once again amazingly kicks out of a Skyhigh Lariat pinning predicament but gets trapped in a punishing Animal bearhug to give The Road Warriors another victory. [B]Winners[/B]: [B][COLOR=Red]The Road Warriors[/COLOR][/B] [B]Animal[/B] with an [B]Atlas Bear Hug [/B] submission on [B]Eaton [/B] at 32:00. Rating: C+ Do Fritz Von Erich's boys have it in them to take it all the way to Finals or will the power and the paint be too much for them to handle? [B]The Von Erichs [/B] take on [B]The Road Warriors [/B] in the semifinals!

Quarterfinals [B][U]Match 3[/U][/B] [B]North-South Connection vs. Hansen & Brody[/B] This match had the makings of a classic and neither team disappointed as the four men took each other to the limit! A wild affair that saw each man hit multiple finishing moves and the referee spend much of his time flat on his back. In the closing seconds, Hansen hit The Lariat on Adonis, but with the ref out of commission, Adrian was able to tag in Murdoch who turned the tables on Hansen, hitting the Corner Running Bulldog on him. The ref is still down however and is only able to make the count after Brody comes in and nails Captain Redneck with a choke throw and his trademark Running Knee Drop. [B]Winners[/B]: [COLOR=Red][B]Hansen & Brody[/B][/COLOR] [B]Brody [/B] with a [B]Running Knee Drop [/B] on [B]Murdoch[/B] at 51:00. Rating: B- [B][U]Match 4[/U][/B] [B]The U.S. Express vs. Baba & Jumbo[/B] The hot young team of Windham and Rotundo were ready for the dominating Japanese tag champs in this one and it turned out to be a fantastic match! Boths teams gave it their all, with Windham and Rotundo both kicking out of Jumbo's Backdrop Driver and Barry even managing to get the shoulder up after a devastating Running Butt Drop from the Giant! Baba and Jumbo had their share of narrow escapes and the end finally came when Windham attempted a Thesz Press on Tsuruta, only to have the Japanese star fall on top of him for the pinfall. [B]Winners[/B]: [B][COLOR=Red]Baba & Jumbo[/COLOR][/B] [B]Tsuruta [/B] falls on top of a [B]Thesz Press [/B] from [B]Windham[/B] at 43:00. Rating: B- Two great matches that could have gone either way, but it'll be [B]Hansen & Brody[/B] facing off against [B]Baba & Jumbo [/B] (the only team to have won all their matches so far!) in what should prove to be a memorable semi-final match!

Oh wow, XoX... this is such a fabulous tournament. I'd like to first comment on your playing both teams w/ Human v. Human in Exhibition: You rule! :) The only way to ensure that the 'opponent' is at full mast is to take control of them. As you mentioned, it does make the matches last quite awhile and it does require a great deal of Imagination - but when controlling both sides, the game almost becomes a full-blown role-playing game. I've been doing the same thing for awhile, and thought I was a nut for doing so. Glad to see I've got company! :) Now... those Von Erichs. I have to admit to gaining a huge amount of respect for these guys by following your tournaments. It's gotten to the point where I am really starting to cheer them on. The next step will be a big one; getting past the Road Warriors will be a major challenge - especially the way you have been brilliantly been playing Hawk & Animal. And the Roadies not winning on the Skyhigh Lariat? What's this world coming to?!? Heh. As always, A fan.

Semi-Finals [B][U]Match 1[/U][/B] [B]The Road Warriors vs. The Von Erichs[/B] The Road Warriors use their power advantage to dominate the early going of the match but the Von Erich brothers manage to battle back by keeping the big men grounded and trying to wear them down. By the 23 minute mark, Kerry is in serious trouble at the hands of Hawk but he manages to tag in Kevin who soon has Hawk in trouble. A well rested Animal gets the tag and pounds Kevin down into the canvas until he's forced to tag out. Animal continues his destruction on Kerry with a spear but Kerry manages to fall on top of a Press Slam Backbreaker attempt for a near fall. Animal is able to avoid a bionic elbow and Kerry doesn't see the tag as Hawk climbs up to the top. Animal hoists him over his head as Hawk nails the Doomsday Device to finish the match at 35:00. [B]Winners[/B]: [B][COLOR=Red]The Road Warriors[/COLOR][/B] [B]Hawk[/B] with the [B]Doomsday Device [/B] on [B]Kerry[/B] at 35:00. Rating: C+ [B][U]Match 2[/U][/B] [B]Hansen & Brody vs. Baba & Jumbo[/B] This match is a very back and forth affair, but Baba and Jumbo seem to have an advantage based on their technical skills. The referee is knocked down several times, allowing Hansen and Brody to take the match outside, where their roughhouse style can gain the upper hand. On one of these occassions, Brody even splinters a ringside chair and jabs the broken leg into Tsuruta's throat! Jumbo is able to recover long enough to tag in Baba, who hits a Running Butt Drop on Brody for a near fall. Hansen is tagged in and takes Baba to the limit finally nailing him with The Lariat! The big man won't stay down though and counters a second Lariat attempt, hitting a Giant Chokeslam on an exhausted Hansen for the three count at 49:00. [B]Winners[/B]: [B][COLOR=Red]Baba & Jumbo[/COLOR][/B] [B]Baba [/B] with a [B]Giant Chokeslam [/B] on [B]Hansen[/B] at 49:00. Rating: C+ And so the final match has been determined. The powerful doubleteam attacks of [B]The Road Warriors [/B] against the strong style technique of the dominating [B]Baba & Jumbo[/B]! A third place contest between [B]The Von Erichs [/B] and [B]Hansen & Brody [/B] will also take place. Keep watching! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Grand Finale Sorry about the delay for anyone who's been following this tournament (I've been distracted by another game and my real life, as well as a little lazy ;) !). But without further ado, here is the conclusion of the [B]DOTT Tag Team World Cup[/B]! [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Third Place Match[/COLOR][/U][/B] [B]The Von Erichs vs. Hansen & Brody[/B] Kevin and Kerry have been a surprise in the tournament, making it this far, but they have their hands full with the bruising, brawling Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody. The Von Erichs do their best in this fast-paced match to combat their powerful opponents with technical skills, but they are simply overwhelmed. In the finish, Kerry valiantly fights with Hansen, but Hansen avoids a bionic elbow and hits a Brainbuster Suplex for a near fall. Frustrated, the big Texan whips Kerry into the corner and proceeds to stomp him into the ground, tagging in Brody. Kerry struggles to his feet but gets nailed with a Brody Big Boot leaving him flat on his back in the center of the ring. With a roar to the crowd, Brody sails through the air and lands a Running Knee Drop for the pin at 30:00. Winners: [B][COLOR=Red]Hansen & Brody [/COLOR] [/B] ([COLOR=Red]Third Place[/COLOR]) [B]Bruiser Brody [/B] with a [B]Running Knee Drop [/B] on [B]Kerry Von Erich [/B] at 30:00. Rating: B- [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Championship Match[/COLOR][/U][/B] [B]The Road Warriors vs. Baba & Jumbo[/B] Both teams have been impressive in making it to the final match, but The Road Warriors reliance on power and big impact double-team moves may not be enough to counter the winning streak of the well-rounded team from the East. Hawk and Animal get in plenty of licks in the early going, quick tagging and hitting power move after power move. Their limited arsenal soon becomes apparent though, as Giant Baba and Tsuruta storm back with a fine mixture of power and technique. Mid-match, it's back and forth, back and forth, with Animal even busting open the huge Baba. Both teams inflict heavy damage throughout the match, but The Road Warriors seem to be getting the worst of it and both men are on their heels and bleeding as the match nears the finish. Animal attempts to drop Jumbo on the top rope but Jumbo slips out and puts him down with a Thesz Press. Kick out! Jumbo makes the tag and he and Baba toss Animal into the corner. Baba's attempt at a Corner Sit Down Splash is avoided and Animal jumps on top of him, hammering him down into the mat. Baba manages to slip out of the flurry of punches from Animal, but again misses, this time with a Running Butt Drop. Animal tries to capitalize with a flurry of bionic elbows, but again the Giant manages to get away, locking on a Big Bear Hug. Animal refuses to give up however and after slipping a Giant Chokeslam attempt, whips Baba into the corner allowing him enough time to tag in an already exhausted Hawk. Hawk keeps Baba in the corner, stomping again and again on the giant's chest. He picks Baba up, trying for a body slam, but Baba breaks it and hits the stunned Hawk with a Butt Smash, followed by another Big Bear Hug. Hawk won't quit either, but this time Baba is able to lift Hawk by the throat for a Giant Chokeslam! Giant Baba lays his huge form over top of the winded Hawk for the three count at 44:00. [B]Winners[/B]: [B][COLOR=Red]Baba & Jumbo [/COLOR] [/B] ([COLOR=Red]First Place[/COLOR]) [B]Giant Baba [/B] with a [B]Giant Chokeslam [/B] on [B]Hawk[/B] at 44:00. Rating: B- [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Final Four[/COLOR][/U][/B] [B]Champions [/B] - [B][COLOR=Red]Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta [/COLOR] [/B] (7 Wins, 0 Draws, O Losses) [B]2nd Place [/B] - [B][COLOR=Red]The Road Warriors [/COLOR] [/B] (5 Wins, 1 Draw, 1 Loss) [B]3rd Place [/B] - [B][COLOR=Red]Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody [/COLOR] [/B] (4 Wins, 2 Draws, 1 Loss) So there it is! Hope you enjoyed it and look out for my next tournament. I'm thinking about doing an Under 20 Tournament with a bunch of the rookies to see how that goes. Any comments or suggestions? :D

Archived