DOTT: The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA

Theorizing that one could time-travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists into the desert, to develop a top-secret project known as Quantum Leap. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Dr. Beckett prematurely stepped into the project accelerator, and vanished... He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself Leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next Leap...will be the Leap home... [b]Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1983[/b] (A blue glow surrounds Dr. Sam Beckett and then fades as he leaps into a new body.) Sam: (Disoriented) "What... who am I?" Al: "Let's see, according to Ziggy, you're Wally Karbo, a wrestling promoter with the American Wrestling Association in Minneapolis, Minnesota." Sam: "Oh, no. Not wrestling again. I almost got killed last time." Al: "Well, Ziggy doesn't think you'll be doing any wrestling this time. Apparently you're the boss." Sam: "The boss?" (Sam is interrupted by two men before Al can respond.) Man #1: "Hey Wally, what's the finish for our match? We're on." Sam: "Finish?" Man #2: "Yeah. Come on Wally, the fans are waiting." Sam: "Fans?" (The second man points at a nearby stage door in confusion. Sam walks over and slowly opens it, revealing hundreds of screaming fans.) Sam: "Oh boy..." (Ed: This is based on the show [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap"]Quantum Leap[/URL], for those unfamiliar with the characters.)

Sam walked into the office labeled Wally Karbo, his office now, and shut the door behind him. Al, oblivious to the closed door, entered the room questioning Sam. "Wing it? The best you could come up with is wing it?" Al tapped a few keys on his handlink while Sam took a seat on one side of an old desk. "Has Ziggy figured out what I'm doing here yet?" Sam asked reclining back in the chair. "Let me see," Al said tapping on more keys. "OK, Wally Karbo, AWA, June 1983. And ..." "And what?" Sam asked impatiently. "Nothing. She's still running the variables. I'm sorry Sam, but you're just going to have to wait it out." Sam stood up from the chair and began to walk around the room. "What am I supposed to do while I wait?" "Well," Al began, "apparently Karbo is one of the matchmakers. He helps decide who's going to fight, who wins, who loses, that sort of thing." Sam sighed. "How do you suggest I make these decisions Al? Should I flip a coin?" "Of course not Sam!" Al exclaimed. "Gushie helped me make up this chart that he thinks will help." Al motioned for Sam to return to the chair while he wheeled a large whiteboard into view. [B]American Wrestling Association Location: Mid-West (Minneapolis, MN) Size: Cult Style: Traditional[/B] [I]World Heavyweight Champion: Nick Bockwinkel Light Heavyweight Champion: Mike Graham World Tag Team Champions: High Flyers (Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell)[/I] Main Eventers [COLOR="Blue"]Wahoo McDaniel[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Jerry Blackwell Ken Patera Nick Bockwinkel[/COLOR] Upper Midcarders [COLOR="Blue"]Baron Von Raschke Greg Gagne Jim Brunzell Rick Martel Mad Dog Vachon[/COLOR] Midcarders [COLOR="Blue"]Brad Rheingans[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Billy Robinson Blackjack Lanza Mr. Saito[/COLOR] Lower Midcarders, Openers, & Enhancement Talent [COLOR="Blue"]Buck Zumhofe Steve O Jake Milliman Kenny Jay Tom Stone[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]John Tolos[/COLOR] Managers & Announcers [COLOR="Red"]Bobby Heenan Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Gene Okerland Ken Resnick Lee Marshall Ron Trongard[/COLOR] "I guess that's helpful," Sam admitted, "but I still don't know how I'm going to pull this one off." "Well," Al said scratching his head, "I guess you're just going to have to ... wing it."

Thanks for the kinds words everyone, I too hope this goes well. Regarding the information listed above, I am striving for realism, so anyone who I know was not on the AWA roster in June 1983 has been removed from the original DOTT roster. I have kept a few others that would return before the end of the year, but they are surprises and not listed above. Also, Mike Graham was the LH champ at that time, but in the game he has a lifetime contract with CWF, so I could not add him to the roster. I'll probably do a phantom title switch at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to suspend this diary until the DOTT mod is done for TEW 07. I wasn't initially planning to buy 07, but after reading all the updates Adam made, I'm really excited about it. Look for this in the 07 dynasties forum at some point.

Archived