Popularity increase

I've been playing with AAA for 10 months now, and have managed to go from E+ to D- in popularity. After that, every show I've put on have been between C- and C+, and every show has (according to the note) increased my popularity. I'm still at D- though, so I wonder if I need to go to other venues in the area (north west) to increase popularity quicker? Or if it doesn't matter where in the North West I am (which I personally believe is the case). I'm also trying to increase my overall prestige (which is still at F+, which bothers me because BSC is at E). Do I need to travel to new areas in order to make this work? And is it worth it, considering I'll probably lose 10 grand? Also, how can you change the Match Importance? All my matches have had Match Importance Low. Does this change automatically?

It doesnt matter which size venue in the area that you hold the show, you will still get the same overness increase in each. You can go into the editor to see how close you are to getting from D- to D (its at approx 41% that you will change.) Re prestige - again you can check in the editor to see what the exact figure is, and how close you are to increasing a grade. At the level you are at (regional) you should start looking to expand to at least one other region, because to get to cult, you need (assuming it is the same as in 05) two or more regions at >45% - but make sure that you aren't losing too much money. An alternative to the above would be to try and get a TV show or a PPV agreement, which you might just be able to get at your current popularity. Then your pop will increase in all areas that the show airs, and you can keep the actual live show in your most popular area to maximise revenue (and also get the best show ratings)

Hmm.. thanks.. I guess I'll try my luck in the mdiwest then :) I've made 35,000 so far this year, so I can probably take a loss now and then. I've applied for a tv-show (PPV carrier said no), so I'll just cross my fingers.

You might wanna try Quebec or Ontario soon too. I ran a show in Quebec with F- popularity and managed to pull off a D+ show that gave me 5.0% popularity there. Sure, only 14 people showed up but I used some borrowed talent from NOTBPW and only had to pay their appearance fee (since the only workers of mine that I used were on written contracts) and it didn't cost me all that much. Going to Quebec or Ontario gives you the maximum amount of possible Canadian exposure (given their wrestling community level) and the best chance of making money (given their affluence level). That's how I choose new areas to break into so I'm unlikely to ever run a show in Eastern Europe (for example) until I'm rolling in money. :p

[QUOTE=Rey619;176547]I've been playing with AAA for 10 months now, and have managed to go from E+ to D- in popularity. After that, every show I've put on have been between C- and C+, and every show has (according to the note) increased my popularity. I'm still at D- though, so I wonder if I need to go to other venues in the area (north west) to increase popularity quicker? Or if it doesn't matter where in the North West I am (which I personally believe is the case). [/QUOTE] Popularity increases are pretty slow. A good show might increase your popularity by 0.5-1.1% in the region the show was held. First you seem to be looking at the overall US popularity, as I remember AAA starts at D in the North West. This would mean that except for the C+ shows you are probably only getting about a 0.5% increase. And since each letter covers about 6 percentage points, you'd need 12 shows to go up one letter grade. And the venue doesn't determine the increase, although having more fans in attendance does mean more money. [QUOTE=Rey619;176547]I'm also trying to increase my overall prestige (which is still at F+, which bothers me because BSC is at E). Do I need to travel to new areas in order to make this work? And is it worth it, considering I'll probably lose 10 grand? [/QUOTE] You'll need to expand in order to increase your prestige. From my experience it goes up if you put on an Above Avereage show, or when you increase in size. Increases in size are definitely the most effective way. [QUOTE=Rey619;176547]Also, how can you change the Match Importance? All my matches have had Match Importance Low. Does this change automatically?[/QUOTE] You need to put on a show that is exciting enough to get the fans talking about how good the show was. I managed it in my dynasty when after a series of E and E+ shows I finally put on a D- one. (in a region where I had F- overness) I expect for you right now it would require putting on a B- or better show in the Northwest.

I actually started out with E+ in the northwest. I would try Canada, but unfortunately, I only intended this as a test game to see if I would catch on to it (as I never did that with the previous editions of the game). Hence I only included USA, which is a bummer cause I would like to have more workers available. I probably should start over again, but I'm quite enjoying it as it is. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try and run every other show or so in another location, in order to increase popularity in two places. Remiainen: You've played with AAA, correct? How long should I wait until I start running more than 1 show a month? I was thinking of doing more shows in 2008 than 2007. One more question.. does running double-shots pay off in TEW? I mean, in real life, it's much more financially viable to run a double shot than two shows on seperate weeks.

[QUOTE=Rey619;176615]One more question.. does running double-shots pay off in TEW? I mean, in real life, it's much more financially viable to run a double shot than two shows on seperate weeks.[/QUOTE] I'm guessing you mean running a longer show and allowing everyone to see each wrestler twice, or are you saying two shows in one week? Either way TEW works on a simple formula in a PPA contract you pay each wrestler for each EVENT they appear in. So say you have J-Ro on a $2000/appearance contract. In your next show she could: come out at the start and rant about her opponent for the evening Come out after the second match to launch t-shirts Compete in her match Appear after the main event to challenge the winner to a match at the next show. All that would count as 1 Appearance, and you'd pay her once. In a Written contract, you pay at the end of the month, even if the wrestler didn't work. A "downside" to a PPA contract means the wrestler makes that much if they DON'T work an event. (consider it vacation pay) Now as to popularity rises, they don't seem to be effected by having too many shows at once if you then leave for several weeks. There is however an audience fatigue factor that can reduce attendance if you have too many shows in the same region over a short period of time. I haven't managed to cause this effect, but I would expect its more noticable when you are running a national or larger promotion and I have always run local and small promotions.

[QUOTE=mvargus;176622]I'm guessing you mean running a longer show and allowing everyone to see each wrestler twice, or are you saying two shows in one week?[/QUOTE] Well, I was thinking of either a) Tape two DVD's at once (a la Shimmer) to save money on venue b) Do a double shot (meaning Friday and Saturday shows). A lot of Indies do this because it saves them a lot of money with moving equipment and stuff. I guess this isn't that big a deal in TEW. On a sidenote, I started a new game with all areas on to check ut 5SSW, but I think they'll go bankrupt pretty soon, as they have a huge wage bill to cover. They have a lot of wrestlers on written contracts (big written contracts). That wouldn't have been any problem (because of tours), but the other half has quite large PPA contracts. :p

[QUOTE=Rey619;176615]Remiainen: You've played with AAA, correct? How long should I wait until I start running more than 1 show a month? I was thinking of doing more shows in 2008 than 2007. One more question.. does running double-shots pay off in TEW? I mean, in real life, it's much more financially viable to run a double shot than two shows on seperate weeks.[/QUOTE] Well, for the first one, it requires my system. I keep a spreadsheet on how much my shows cost in the beginning. I do this by listing the costs of all my workers who I feel I MUST book (for AAA, that would be J.Ro, Wanda, Cherry Bomb, Wild Times, Sara Marie York, Suzanne Brazzle, and Catherine Quine). It's worth noting that I only book Catherine because of her written because I dislike her (I dislike most 'Entertainer' types). After that, I determine how much my venue's going to cost (easy because venue costs are fixed by size) and what my expected attendance is. Then I look at proximity of the two shows (I NEVER book double shots in the same region due to audience fatigue, as mvargus pointed out. I call it 'diminishing returns' because that seems to be the case with popularity increases as well). It's best to book back to back shows in neighboring regions (like, one in the North West and one in the South West) since it allows you to expand your power base without incurring too much cost. In the end, when you do all the calculations (which, I admit, probably isn't everyone's cup of tea. But I'm infatuated by 'the numbers'), you can then determine when doing multiple shows a month (or a week) is feasible for you. As for your game, honestly, I'd restart if only because you really don't have much of a talent pool to draw from. Most of the world's higher tier women's talent reside and are based in Japan (as is the case in real life) so without that area active, you're stuck with AAA and the BSC types. No Melody Cuthill (a HUGE talent, quiet as its kept), no Emma Bitch (who is significantly more attractive a prospect in 07 than she was in 05), no Principessa most likely (though she's available in pretty much every area in the world), just mainly developmental prospects and no established stars. You start with the most talented women's roster outside of Japan so it's not THAT bad. But if another one of your stars gets too big for her britches (like Raven Nightfall did), you're in trouble, unless you have someone waiting in the wings (CHERRY BOMB or DEVIL'S DAUGHTER *cough* :p).

[QUOTE=Rey619;176632]I think all those you mentioned are in the game. Cherry Bomb and Devil's Daughter, hm? Interesting..[/QUOTE] Devil's Daughter and Katherine Goodlooks are living proof of pairing together a strong worker with a weak(-er) worker. They're both much better with far larger upsides than their respective partners, which is probably why they're paired together in the first place. The Brendons are another good example except in that case, Michelle is a monster and also the better member of the team. Cherry Bomb gives your promotion all the realism it needs, due to her style. She's also got some magical potential on the M-I-C. :) As for 5SSW, their roster situation is such that you really have to keep them active. You MUST take them off the touring schedule because their big 3 will kill you if you don't run shows. They start with 2.2 times as much money as AAA because they have additional costs. And honestly, half of 5SSW's roster is dead weight, from a purely practical point of view. I don't care how much any of their workers are making. That's not going to stop me from pushing the people I want to push and telling everyone else to go to hell. *shrug* You also have to keep in mind that many wrestling promotions (even indies) have a lot more financial backing than the game would probably allow for. APW, for example, has well over 4 million dollars to draw from at any given time (via their owner) but if you give them that much in the game, it would make them pretty much unstoppable.

I think I'll try a double-shot in February of 08. I'm finally able to draw large enough crowds to make it into a larger venue, and last month I made 7000. The month I tried my luck in another area costed me almost 5000, so I'm still making a profit on the basis of these numbers. There are several costs that are per month, so they won't go up. The problem is, is the sponsor revenue based on a monthly basis? Or per show? If it's on a monthly basis I'm in trouble..

Archived