Building momentum

Momentum, from my experiance, is kinda like a game of hot potato. You just kinda shift it from one wrestler to the next. If someone on your roster has momentum then job him to the guy you want to gain it. If anyone on your roster has A or A* momentum and the guy you want to gain it has an A your almost promised the guy you want will have A*. If no one on your roster has it try pairing some people who have the same momentum say to B- the winner should get something like a B or B+. I could be wrong but this has worked for me. Also try cutting a bunch of high rated angles and storylines are one of the main components toward gaining momentum. If they have good entertainment skills then start up a storyline and book a ton of good rated angles. And move them up the momentum ladder on your roster.

The Goldberg/Joe/Umaga push can work. Just keep having them win matches over (moderate to talented) jobbers and lower card workers, as their momentum nicreases you can put them over higher ups to build it further without killing off their momentum in the process. That's how I made Val Venis my number one face :)

Momentum is based on tonnes of things. Generally speaking, putting on great matches, winning matches, delivering great promos, being in hot storylines, having a good gimmick, beating workers with higher momentum, etc., will all help a worker's momentum. Because it's based on segment ratings, though, you're unlikely to ever get a worker's momentum much higher than your promotion's popularity if they're an in-ring competitor. For example, in MAW Des Davids will be putting on D to D+ matches, C- if he's lucky. So his momentum is unlikely to rise above C-. C- is great for a fed like MAW. Also, a workers initial momentum (when you sign him, not if he's already on your roster when you start the game) is based on his first segment. Just like a storyline's heat is based on the first segment of the storyline (and also like a storyline, they always start on F- before their debut). So if you want your new signing to start with decent momentum, put him in a great debut segment. If he has poor entertainment, don't debut him with an entertainment-based angle ¬_¬. Common sense really on that part. Also, it's usually best to identify one or two people (if you have a small roster) that you want to push. Because for someone to gain momentum, [b]generally speaking[/b] someone else is going to have to lose some. If Worker A beats Worker B in a great match, Worker B won't lose a lot of momentum. If his momentum is low, he might even gain some for the brilliant match he just put on. But if Worker B keeps jobbing in mediocre matches, his momentum is going to go down the toilet. Also bear in mind certain road agent notes. A worker who keeps Dominating is likely to gain more momentum, but the workers that are dominated will obviously lose more. Keeping a worker strong will make him suffer less of a hit for taking a loss, as that's the equivalent of the winner getting a cheap win via a quck rollup, or something similar. Burying a worker is, obviously, going to destroy his momentum. But if you're burying someone you probably want that to happen. Also, momentum is fed-specific. Signing Matt Sparrow for DAVE and jobbing him out to everyone on your roster won't affect his CZCW momentum, for example (it will affect is popularity of course, but not in the South West (unless you run shows there for some silly reason) so they probably won't care).

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;178045]Momentum is based on tonnes of things. Also, a workers initial momentum (when you sign him, not if he's already on your roster when you start the game) is based on his first segment. Just like a storyline's heat is based on the first segment of the storyline (and also like a storyline, they always start on F- before their debut). [/QUOTE] I debut one of my workers and the segment garnered a B so why in the hell is his momentum still F-????? his gimmick is a C+. This was his first segment. I don't understand because I though this was the case too, but it can't be.

[QUOTE=Grudge;187668]I debut one of my workers and the segment garnered a B so why in the hell is his momentum still F-????? his gimmick is a C+. This was his first segment. I don't understand because I though this was the case too, but it can't be.[/QUOTE] ouch. I made that mistake once. Debuting a worker in a crappy segment before his first big main event match. That lowered the rating like hell. Dunno your problem tho.

I sincerly think that angles don't help overness/momentum anymore. Patch 1.3 is the one I'm using. I'm kinda cheating to see how this works, cuz i'm the type that has to know, so i'm reloading my game save and trying it again and the only thing that changes his momentum/overness is a match. Do angles not influence these anymore????

It might depend on the type of fed you're running. Elsewhere on the forum, I referenced Batista getting crazy over because of the angle on Raw where he may or may not have attacked HHH. The Hurricane did great business in his angles with the Rock. Andre the Giant's defining moment is seen by many as the night he turned heel on Hulk Hogan... In an Entertainment based fed, angles may do more for mometum than matches. In a Traditional or Pure fed, it may be the other way around.

One thing I've noticed is you can sometimes get momentum for both workers in a match. For instance, I recently ran a match in CZCW of Ultimate Phoenix vs Donnie J. Donnie's momentum has been crap ever since I took the title off him (dropped from B+ to D- when he lost the title) ... whereas Ultimate Phoenix (prior to the match) had a C- momentum. They put on a really fabulous match and, after it was over (the match itself was B-) Donnie had went from his D- to a C and Phoenix had C. I doubt this'll happen often... but if two workers put on a good enough match, they could definitely both gain some momentum.

Archived