Talent Trades - Why Bother

While I agree to an extent with your gripes against the talent trades. But as the game evolves, it can benefit you. For instance........ I've signed Marcos Flores, Gino Montero and El Leon for my South West American promotion. Then, SWF go Cult and have to resign Zimmy Bumfhole to a PPA contract. I unfortunately can't sign Zimmy, cause he works for someone else, stupid Arson Wells. However OLLIE are clever and jump at the oppertunity, signing Zimmy. Now I got mexican's that aren't that over in the South West, but over in Mexico. OLLIE have Zimmy, B+ in South West, not over in Mexico. LOVE IT! I got some Japanese guys too, who are quite over, I'm waiting for WLW to sign Troy cause they seem to be interested.

[QUOTE=Sartagis;189398]That's not true. Bloom started as a mid carder in AJPW. And he rose up from there after slowing destroying and beating other mid carders in very good matches. Then when he got to the main event in AJPW he jumped ship to a bigger company (NJPW) and started at upper mid maybe. Then had More good matches and good wins and moved to the main event. Now he might have moved up a little faster then he would stateside but that's only because. JPN feds seem to know how to book giant hoss's better these days (and have a bit more of a market for em as they aren't everywheres) and AJPW/NJPW have always had one big gaijin monster ace. Norton was the guy in NJPW Bloom came in and replaced him.[/QUOTE] So how is my original statement not true? Guys that can't get over in the US go there and do so easily due to size and look (and other things obviously on a person to person basis). It's got nothing to do with booking a monster heel better, I think Vince has done a better job with Umaga then NJPW did with Lesnar even. It's the fact that it's Japan and they regard WWE & the US as major league. Even guys like Haas and Morgan debuted strong in Japan, both were jobbers at best in the US.

[QUOTE=CarlitoCoool;189626]So how is my original statement not true? Guys that can't get over in the US go there and do so easily due to size and look (and other things obviously on a person to person basis). It's got nothing to do with booking a monster heel better, I think Vince has done a better job with Umaga then NJPW did with Lesnar even. It's the fact that it's Japan and they regard WWE & the US as major league. Even guys like Haas and Morgan debuted strong in Japan, both were jobbers at best in the US.[/QUOTE] I object strongly to the term "Even guys like Haas" :p Haas is clearly more talented than, for example, everyone else. ¬_¬ Back on topic though, I'm kinda torn. On the one hand, [quote]1. Based on Popularity in the other feds country alone, not taking into account the popularity of their worker in your country. Lets face it most of workers in Cornellverse, only have major popularity in their own country.[/quote] I semi-agree with this bit. While a factor of your earlier NOTB/PGHW example is down to the data (Japanese guys in the CV don't tend to be as over in the US as in reality, and vice versa with North Americans in Japan. Because it's the Cornellverse, not reality), the talent trades do tend to ignore how over THEIR worker is with YOUR fans. I can understand this to an extent (they aren't the ones asking for the trade...), but it'd be nice if they'd consider the possible matchups they'd get, especially a company like PGHW, where popularity isn't as significant. The match ratings would be immense between McFly and Musashibo, for example, regardless of the fact that McFly isn't as over in Japan. But at the same time, you can't make it TOO easy to trade talent, otherwise there'd be no point in having contracts, or workers restricted to certain game areas, because you'd be doing it all the time and ignoring both. So overall, I don't have as much of a problem with this as you seem to. Sure, it'd be great to have McFly vs Musashibo in NOTBPW, but it can't happen unless Musashibo decides he wants to work in Canada. So I'll live with it. [quote]2. Not being able to trade for champions, I just find it absurd.[/quote] Yeah, I must admit, this is the one genuine complaint I'd have with the talent trades system. Not being able to trade for champions kinda sucks. It's not as if you could job them out to your stars and make them lose their title, as you can't control the title anyway and they have creative control. The only justification I can see, is that they'd want their champion to be avaialbe whenever they run a show. But that's easily fixed by making sure that they prioritise their home promotion over the loanee, regardless of their relative size or prestige. So that if they both run a show on the same day, he'll work for his home promotion. [quote]3. Not being able to trade, whilst the other company is not on tour.[/quote] You've got to remember that talent trades go two ways. Loaning a worker to a promotion when they can't use him isn't exactly playing ball :p "Hey, PGHW. While you're not running any shows, do you want to borrow Sean McFly to er... sit around doing nothing for a while, while Musashibo spend his well-earned time off wrestling for us?!" :p Probably wouldn't go down too well. That aside though, I don't see too much of a problem with that. The most a company is ever off-tour for is two months in a row. It's not like you have to wait years. Your points are all valid, but there's a certain threshold between what happens in reality, and what would make the game fun. Being able to trade for virtually anybody wouldn't be fun. Talent Trades would become far too common, would be the backbone of every promotion, and wouldn't feel terribly special. I know you're not asking to be able to trade for anyone, but it feels like some people are. Some people forget sometimes that TEW is supposed to be a game. Not an exact replica of reality.

[QUOTE=Tigerkinney;188601]Another very valuable point and another way where the system could be tweaked a little. I do have a hard time swallowing that Sean McFly would only be an F+ in Japan..he may not have worked in Japan but I'm sure fans over there would have heard about him/saw him when he worked for SWF. Something in the C or D range would be more realistic. Surely workers who have worked for companies that are International or Global, should have some form of popularity in other areas.[/QUOTE] I have altered the way the overness system works to incorporate this point, it is in the current temporary patch. Off the top of my head, I believe it takes Sean McFly from F- to about C- in Japan, based off his name value in North America.

[QUOTE=CarlitoCoool;189626]So how is my original statement not true? Guys that can't get over in the US go there and do so easily due to size and look (and other things obviously on a person to person basis). It's got nothing to do with booking a monster heel better, I think Vince has done a better job with Umaga then NJPW did with Lesnar even. It's the fact that it's Japan and they regard WWE & the US as major league. Even guys like Haas and Morgan debuted strong in Japan, both were jobbers at best in the US.[/QUOTE] Because in the context of what was being discussed and said I took your statement to mean midcard north americans can go to Japan and be instant main eventers. Because US stars should be treated more popular then Japanese ones. IE a Main Eventer in teh US should have more World Wide (and japanese) pop then a Main Eventer in Japan, simply because they are big stars in a bigger market. Which isn't true. You then sued Matt Bloom as an example, which was wrong, as he didn't go to japan and was a star he went to Japan and was a midcarder adn was booked to the top, his reaching the top in Japan had nothing to do with any pop in NA. He was widely unknown when he arrived in Japan. Sorry if I mistook your meaning though. That's just how it came off. Morgan did debut strong because NJPW thought the fans would like him. Haas had just been in the limelight with Team Angle for awhile and Morgan had been with Lesnar's group getting Main Event spots. There matches on their first show were like matches 5 and 6 on a ten match card...right in the midcard. Although Morgan did gain the fall on Nagata (who at the time was losing all the time and not a main event threat). All three however flopped and after their first matches went to mid card (Haas actually didn't come back I don't think) after a couple matches. Morgan and Jindrak continued to team for a tour or two and lost almost every match (even dropping falls to Tatsutoshi Goto). I think they had a couple victories in 6-mans with Norton but they beat guys like curtain jerkers Yanigasawa and Yamamoto. Only pinfall of note outside the Nagata win was Nishimura. A guy who drops falls all the time. They were just there as part of a NJPW vs WWE storyline they were doing to prepare for Lesnar.

Archived