GDS 'Favourite Wrestler Ever' Round Three

keefmoon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[B]CM Punk[/B] vs The Undertaker Legion Of Doom vs [B]Mr Perfect[/B] [B]Chris Jericho[/B] vs Ric Flair [B]Hulk Hogan[/B] vs Randy Savage The Rock vs [B]Samoa Joe[/B] [B]Raven[/B] vs Sting [B]Bret Hart[/B] vs Stone Cold Steve Austin [B]Owen Hart[/B] vs Triple H

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;205135]And Triple H is? "Jumping knee, knee drop, sledgehammer.... PEDIGREE!" Matches are all the same. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE] i have seen the WWE live and HHH was by far the slickest, easiest wrestler to watch, everything he did looked real. Plus He has the ability to tell a story in a match and has the 'working a bodypart' style match down to an art form. That and 10 world title reign's to his name, so yeah, i would definatly say he is world-class.

[QUOTE=panix04;205133]At the risk of putting the cat amongst the pigeons here, i never rated Owen Hart, i thought he was an OK worker, but i don't think he was world class.[/QUOTE] It's a fair opinion, but I disagree and I would say he was world class. I loved his battles with Bret but unfortunately he never really got over with the fans after that. It's ironic, and unfortunately not the first time, that he only caught on with the fans after he died, as if you asked who is your favourite wrestler at the moment in 1998/9, I doubt Owen would have even made many peoples top ten (he would have in mine, but that's a different matter.) What I think is a shame is I honestly think if he had got 'The Game' gimmick, which he was rumoured to be getting, he could have caught on. And once he was in the Main Event and regularly against the likes of Austin, Rock, Triple H, Foley, Taker etc I think he really would be regarded as one of the best of all time. Unfortunately, without a really good gimmick he wound up in a tag team with Jarrett and feuded mostly with D'Lo Brown and Mark Henry, which was never going to bring the best out in him, and he died before he ever got the chance to get a proper gimmick. And I know a few people have disagreed with me on this (not in this forum, yet) but I could really imagine "The Game" Owen Hart working. EDIT: [QUOTE=panix04;205138]i have seen the WWE live and HHH was by far the slickest, easiest wrestler to watch, everything he did looked real. Plus He has the ability to tell a story in a match and has the 'working a bodypart' style match down to an art form. That and 10 world title reign's to his name, so yeah, i would definatly say he is world-class.[/QUOTE] I agree with this, though. Triple H is world class too, for my money.

[QUOTE]It's a fair opinion, but I disagree and I would say he was world class. I loved his battles with Bret but unfortunately he never really got over with the fans after that. It's ironic, and unfortunately not the first time, that he only caught on with the fans after he died, as if you asked who is your favourite wrestler at the moment in 1998/9, I doubt Owen would have even made many peoples top ten (he would have in mine, but that's a different matter.)[/QUOTE] I didn't really go much on Owen before he passed, i know he had a lot of followers and being a member of the Hart family, you can't really fail to be atleast good can you? But he just lacked that X Factor for me, perhaps my opinion of him was slightly slanted though, due to the fact i was more into storylines back then, so i instictively dis-liked Heels! [QUOTE]What I think is a shame is I honestly think if he had got 'The Game' gimmick, which he was rumoured to be getting, he could have caught on. And once he was in the Main Event and regularly against the likes of Austin, Rock, Triple H, Foley, Taker etc I think he really would be regarded as one of the best of all time. Unfortunately, without a really good gimmick he wound up in a tag team with Jarrett and feuded mostly with D'Lo Brown and Mark Henry, which was never going to bring the best out in him, and he died before he ever got the chance to get a proper gimmick. And I know a few people have disagreed with me on this (not in this forum, yet) but I could really imagine "The Game" Owen Hart working.[/QUOTE] I think un-doubtably looking back on owen's work, he was always a better heel then a face and perhaps the step up in class would have bought the best out of him, i guess we will never know! I do think though that a lot of peoples opinion on Owen's talent is slightly warped by Nostalgia. Not saying thats a bad thing, i just think that its something you tend to do when someone dies so tragically young, look past the bad and focus on the good.

[QUOTE=panix04;205142]I didn't really go much on Owen before he passed, i know he had a lot of followers and being a member of the Hart family, you can't really fail to be atleast good can you? But he just lacked that X Factor for me, perhaps my opinion of him was slightly slanted though, due to the fact i was more into storylines back then, so i instictively dis-liked Heels! I think un-doubtably looking back on owen's work, he was always a better heel then a face and perhaps the step up in class would have bought the best out of him, i guess we will never know! I do think though that a lot of peoples opinion on Owen's talent is slightly warped by Nostalgia. Not saying thats a bad thing, i just think that its something you tend to do when someone dies so tragically young, look past the bad and focus on the good.[/QUOTE] Absolutely 100% I think some peoples opinion on Owen is formed by nostalgia. Even mine is to a degree, I was a big fan when he was alive. And you are also right that he did lack the X Factor at times, and he was unfortunate with some of the stuff he got lumbered with. I quite liked the Blue Blazor gimmick at the time, but in hindsight it was never going to make him a main eventer. And it would have taken him years to shake off the "nugget" tag. But I still think that if he had Triple H's gimmick from 2000/1/when he first returned from his injury I think Owen could have been a star. Funnily enough, I think being a Hart may have actually harmed him, cos while hit got him in the spotlight, he had a huge task to follow on the name, particularly as his big brother was so very over AND talented for much of the time Owen was in the WWF.

[QUOTE=panix04;205138]That and 10 world title reign's to his name, so yeah, i would definatly say he is world-class.[/QUOTE] It's been said a million times before but i'll say it again, his 10 title reigns have nothing to do with his relationship to Steph and Vince does it! :D [quote=keefmoon]And I know a few people have disagreed with me on this (not in this forum, yet) but I could really imagine "The Game" Owen Hart working.[/quote] I wont disagree with that. I think Owen would've been a far better Cerebral Assassin because he was more technically sound than HHH is even to this day. [quote=panix04]I do think though that a lot of peoples opinion on Owen's talent is slightly warped by Nostalgia.[/quote] You might be right there for some people but not for me because i've recently watched some earlier Wrestlemania's. His work was great even then so who knows how big of a superstar he could've become? Anyway, Triple H has had it easy, he's teamed with the likes of HBK and Austin. Who did Owen get? Koko B.Ware! [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/Smileys/roflmao.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE]It's been said a million times before but i'll say it again, his 10 title reigns have nothing to do with his relationship to Steph and Vince does it! :D [/QUOTE] In fairness he was still getting heavily pushed (and winning titles) whilst he was dating Chyna, do you remember that stable he was in, i think they were called DX :p [QUOTE]I wont disagree with that. I think Owen would've been a far better Cerebral Assassin because he was more technically sound than HHH is even to this day.[/QUOTE] Im curious as to your definition of 'technically sound' seeing as he was responsiblr for damaging Stone colds neck with a piledriver, which kept austin out of action for quite some time. [QUOTE]You might be right there for some people but not for me because i've recently watched some earlier Wrestlemania's. His work was great even then so who knows how big of a superstar he could've become?[/QUOTE] thats fair enough, im not claiming everyones view on him is slanted im just syaing it is probably a factor for some people. [QUOTE]Anyway, Triple H has had it easy, he's teamed with the likes of HBK and Austin. Who did Owen get? Koko B.Ware![/QUOTE] But Koko B Ware had a parrot, nothing say's cool quite like owning a parrot!

DX? Never heard of 'em.... but did you know that whilst he was dating Chyna he was also 'practising his mat work' with Steph? Technically sound is exactly what it says on the tin - technical wrestling such as arm drags, locks and mat work etc. Admittedly his piledrivers did need some work though..... I still cringe everytime I see that one with Austin.... If parrots are cool then why hasn't Carlito got one? Although I suppose he might have one in that birds nest he calls a hairdo! :D

[QUOTE]DX? Never heard of 'em.... but did you know that whilst he was dating Chyna he was also 'practising his mat work' with Steph? [/QUOTE] you have seen both Chyna and Steph right? Can you honestly blame him? [QUOTE]If parrots are cool then why hasn't Carlito got one? Although I suppose he might have one in that birds nest he calls a hairdo! :D[/QUOTE] fair point, damn Carlito!

[QUOTE=panix04;205148]you have seen both Chyna and Steph right? Can you honestly blame him?[/quote] Hell no I can't blame him, in my opinion Steph's the hottest Diva of them all! My point was that whilst in DX and he was dating Chyna, he was getting pushed because he was doing.... errrrr.... some pushing of his own. :p

CM Punk vs [B]The Undertaker[/B]........he's the phenom dammit! plus he's a texan [B]Legion Of Doom[/B] vs Mr Perfect...........toss up, but i never appreciated curt when i was a kid, so l.o.d. gets the nod Chris Jericho vs [B]Ric Flair[/B]......wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [B]Hulk Hogan[/B] vs Randy Savage..........never liked the macho man too much, his voice bugs me. plus hogan puts out better albums than randy, hulk's the better rapper. The Rock vs [B]Samoa Joe[/B]........joe kills bitches Raven vs [B]Sting[/B]...........hardest choice of the round.....but it's sting!!! [B]Bret Hart[/B] vs Stone Cold Steve Austin.........either/or Owen Hart vs [B]Triple H[/B]..........the game-ah, although i do love me some blue blazer

CM Punk vs [B]The Undertaker[/B] Legion Of Doom vs [B]Mr Perfect[/B] [B]Chris Jericho[/B] vs Ric Flair Hulk Hogan vs [B]Randy Savage[/B] The Rock vs [B]Samoa Joe[/B] Raven vs [B]Sting[/B] [B]Bret Hart[/B] vs Stone Cold Steve Austin [B]Owen Hart[/B] vs Triple H

I think Owen was an ok wrestler, but he will always be overshadowed by Brett. actually got to see him wrestle the tuesday before he died at a house show. Now HHH, while he is a good/great wrestler his 10 title reigns as top dog are not all "real reigns" in my opinion. Remember that two year time period of 1999 and 2000 when the title changed hands every other month. (16 title changes between Jan. 4, 1999 to Jun. 25, 2000...HHH had 4 title reigns between aug. 99 and jun. 2000 alone). Lets not forget that he after his big return in WM 18 he lost the title a month later. Call me when his world/wwe title reigns last more than one pay per view

CM Punk vs [B]The Undertaker [/B] Legion Of Doom vs [B]Mr Perfect [/B] Chris Jericho vs [B]Ric Flair[/B] ---- DUH!!!! [B]Hulk Hogan[/B] vs Randy Savage [B]The Rock[/B] vs Samoa Joe Raven vs [B]Sting[/B] [B]Bret Hart[/B] vs Stone Cold Steve Austin Owen Hart vs [B]Triple H[/B]

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;205151]The Rock vs [B]Samoa Joe[/B]........joe kills bitches[/QUOTE] No offence mate, but I don't think Joe killing female dogs should be a reason you give for voting him over The Rock, who to my knowledge doesn't kill animals intentionally. ;) :p Anyway back to the Hart/HHH thing. I think Triple H was getting pretty good push before he started seeing Steph. As far as I know, he had already been champion by then. And I have no doubt he would have been champion a lot even without seeing Steph, because the guy has it all. Good in the ring, good on the stick, good look, charisma, the x factor, he was always gonna get to the main event. And as it was an era where I owned pints of milk that lasted longer than the title reigns it's hardly a shock he won them a lot. So did The Rock. And Foley won it three times in 1999, I believe? This doesn't mean I disagree that Steph helped move his career quite considerably, she obviously did. But in my opinion he was always gonna be a champion and deserving to be in some peoples favourite wrestlers. Owen was overshadowed by his brother, but after Bret left I still don't know why Owen wasn't pushed up further. Who better to fill the Bret role than Owen? And good call by 'Taker666, Steph is in my opinion the hottest female I've ever seen in wrestling. Hmm... maybe Miss Elizabeth is up there, and I liked Lita around 2000 when she was hanging out with the Hardyz (not in the ring, mind), but it would be pretty hard for anyone to top my love of Steph around 2000 sorta time.

i too think steph is one of the hottest females in wrestling.....i think it's the bitchiness factor....it's hot for some reason. although i've never seen her on tape, just photos, i think becky bayless is super hot too....she did some roh work a few years ago and recently returned.....hot. i smell another new thread keefmoon!!!!!

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;205170]i too think steph is one of the hottest females in wrestling.....i think it's the bitchiness factor....it's hot for some reason. although i've never seen her on tape, just photos, i think becky bayless is super hot too....she did some roh work a few years ago and recently returned.....hot. i smell another new thread keefmoon!!!!![/QUOTE] :p Ha! I'm on it! Expect to see it in the next few weeks... But if Steph or Elizabeth don't win it then I swear I'll never post on here ever, eeeevveer again.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;205167]Owen was overshadowed by his brother, but after Bret left I still don't know why Owen wasn't pushed up further. Who better to fill the Bret role than Owen?[/QUOTE] Well, I think the fact that Bret did leave, especially on such hostile terms would be a good reason they didn't... I mean... Who better to take things out on than Owen?

Archived