Thoughts on WM and The Battle of the Billionaires.

MightyDavidson

Ok, judging by all the celebs on this week's episode of RAW talking about who they want to have thier head shaved, I guess they are getting more publicity then I thought. If these celebrities order the PPV in large numbers [instead of waiting to see if Trump lost his hair in the news the next morning] then I will consider this angle to be a success and proceed to eat crow.

if WWE based main events off the number of times a promo was run the battle of the billionaires would be the main event. With batista vs. taker and cena vs. HBK following FAR behind. Almost Everytime I see a wrestlemania promo it battle of the billionaires.

[QUOTE=mystic;216478]if WWE based main events off the number of times a promo was run the battle of the billionaires would be the main event. With batista vs. taker and cena vs. HBK following FAR behind. Almost Everytime I see a wrestlemania promo it battle of the billionaires.[/QUOTE] They better hope that promo and the accompanying mainstream coverage inspires lots of people to buy the show then. It could end up being a huge fiasco otherwise. As for me I agree with Ed Anser. Shave em both!

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;216482]They better hope that promo and the accompanying mainstream coverage inspires lots of people to buy the show then. It could end up being a huge fiasco otherwise. As for me I agree with Ed Anser. Shave em both![/QUOTE] You caught that too, lol... I think the same thing. Much as I want Bobby to end Umaga's big push, I would rather see a bald Trump then McMahan. I already know McMahan will do anything to help out the company, so shaving his head isn't something I think would even bother him. Myself, If I were McMahan, I'm afraid I don't think I would do as great as him... I mean, this whole Fiascal is just to create a superstar out of Lashley (and Umaga secondly I guess). I wouldn't be able to be the Bad guy ALL THE DANG TIME. Kuddos to him for that, he could easily turn, and all would be forgiven, but he just stays as the mega bad guy to help put another wrestler over whenever the time comes to be.

One thing I don't get about this, or perhaps I do and maybe this is really ironic... Vince McMahon was featured in an interview down under a few years ago, and someone asked him about why there were no more celebrities at Wrestlemania anymore (you know like singing the Anthem and all that, guest interviewers etc.), Vince said because they don't need them anymore and the wrestlers have transcended that. I think it's an acceptance that since losing Guerrero, Jericho, Austin, The Rock, Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, Stone Cold and not having Hulk Hogan this year that they are accepting they don't carry the same what we'd call overness as they have in previous years. I think that's practically a given amongst us fans, but it's almost a solemn acceptance from Vince McMahon.

[QUOTE=tristram;216495]Is that really happening though? I mean there's been no talk about it all down here, and I'd assume they're looking at going into the Asia/Pacific region.[/QUOTE] I really doubt anything will happen for a couple of years... Vince will probably be lucky to live to see it happen. Unless they've already started on it, which like you, I have heard nothing outside of a few posts about it. So it either tells me the story if A) Wrong, or B) Alot more in the future then what they gave on.. I mean reading the article, you would expect at any moment some big story in Japan, or UK or somewhere saying WWE is starting up .... but nothing. So to be honest, I'm really a 50/50 about it. I figure they COULD do it if they wanted, is the only reason I give it that much.

Wait, you think it takes a lot of effort to get so-called "celebrities" to mug for a camera? Hasn't the rise of "reality TV" taught us nothing? :p And the reason they're focusing their marketing on that match is obvious. It has the most crossover potential due to Trump's fame. But tristram makes a very good point. They've lost many of their stars who transcended demographic as well as socio political boundaries. Remember when they used to send their stars onto TV shows that appealed to desireable demographics (Bret Hart on Mad TV as an example, Stone Cold's recurring role on Nash Bridges is another). The Deal or No Deal spot was decent but not really the same thing IMO (at least not nearly on the same scale). But having celebrities do a spot on camera isn't much of a validation. Though I'd admit that there are moro....err, people, in the US who will do anything a halfway famous (or infamous) person tells them to.

I for one think it has been a really solid build toward the match and I'm really, really looking forward to it. It's strange that I dislike the work of Umaga and Lashley, yet with so much on the line, I guarentee McMahon is pulling out all the stops to provide a more-than-watchable match. It'll probably be a wild brawl. It's so well done that my 3 housemates who don't like wrestling keep asking when it will be on so they can watch it. I consider that a job well done by WWE!

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;216477]Ok, judging by all the celebs on this week's episode of RAW talking about who they want to have thier head shaved, I guess they are getting more publicity then I thought. If these celebrities order the PPV in large numbers [instead of waiting to see if Trump lost his hair in the news the next morning] then I will consider this angle to be a success and proceed to eat crow.[/QUOTE] They have been showing those clips for weeks. And yeah, even my girlfriend's parents are talking about WM. That is easily the most surprising thing to ever happen.

[QUOTE=Remianen;216506]Wait, you think it takes a lot of effort to get so-called "celebrities" to mug for a camera? Hasn't the rise of "reality TV" taught us nothing? :p And the reason they're focusing their marketing on that match is obvious. It has the most crossover potential due to Trump's fame. But tristram makes a very good point. They've lost many of their stars who transcended demographic as well as socio political boundaries. Remember when they used to send their stars onto TV shows that appealed to desireable demographics (Bret Hart on Mad TV as an example, Stone Cold's recurring role on Nash Bridges is another). The Deal or No Deal spot was decent but not really the same thing IMO (at least not nearly on the same scale). But having celebrities do a spot on camera isn't much of a validation. Though I'd admit that there are moro....err, people, in the US who will do anything a halfway famous (or infamous) person tells them to.[/QUOTE] John Cena was hilarious on Mad TV, and you have to admit, he's been on just about every show possible... Kane and Ashley on Smallville. That bit with the sign guy although I can't remember what show it was, maybe someone can help me out, but it had Edge and Orton in the crowd heckling him, then Cena and HBK?? Well, anyways the bad guys heckled him, the good guy come in to have his back. Was a pretty funny skit really. I believe this has had as much publicity as possible, It's way over the top in my opinion, lol. I don't know if the show will be as good. I don't know if the people will actually go or wait for the news afterward. I do think there has never been as much crossover success as there has this year though. I've never seen so many wwe wrestler's on so many different shows... If it has guess stars, one of them were on it. Every one of them were more exciting to watch then the normal guests as well, so it wasn't something you wouldn't have noticed.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;217648]John Cena was hilarious on Mad TV, and you have to admit, he's been on just about every show possible... Kane and Ashley on Smallville. That bit with the sign guy although I can't remember what show it was, maybe someone can help me out, but it had Edge and Orton in the crowd heckling him, then Cena and HBK?? Well, anyways the bad guys heckled him, the good guy come in to have his back. Was a pretty funny skit really. I believe this has had as much publicity as possible, It's way over the top in my opinion, lol. I don't know if the show will be as good. I don't know if the people will actually go or wait for the news afterward. I do think there has never been as much crossover success as there has this year though. I've never seen so many wwe wrestler's on so many different shows... If it has guess stars, one of them were on it. Every one of them were more exciting to watch then the normal guests as well, so it wasn't something you wouldn't have noticed.[/QUOTE] Sign guy was on "Deal or No Deal", Cena and Lashley were the good guys, Edge and Orton the bad. Quite funny because at the end you can see Lashley laughing and asking Edge why he wasn't smiling and telling him to :) Lashley actually has charisma and skills, it just seems that any time you put him in front of a crowd he gets stage fright on the mic. This week in Sports Illustrated the questions they ask 4 athletes, 2 of them are "Donald Trump's Hair is..." and "What your wrestling name would be..." While not DIRECTLY referring to WrestleMania, it is in the magazine because its the week of WM.

Archived