Grindhouse and many others.......

lovestruck420

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really don't know how you could put Dogma over Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Sigh. And also, I don't think Grindhouse is poking fun at anything. I think it's a serious attempt at the type of film it is. Otherwise the commercials would have comedy in them.

I'm pretty sure Grindhouse is supposed to be a throwback to the actual "grindhouses". Theatres that would show all the different type of (laughably bad) exploitation films. I guess in between the movies they are going to show fictional trailers, to get ever more of a nostalgic feel. It's basically a zombie film and a slasher film shown back to back (Planet Terror and Deathproof, respectively) with fake trailers shown in between in homage to the 70s.

[QUOTE=weirdo_man;220682]Really don't know how you could put Dogma over Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Sigh. And also, I don't think Grindhouse is poking fun at anything. I think it's a serious attempt at the type of film it is. Otherwise the commercials would have comedy in them.[/QUOTE] Sigh all you want, but J&SBSB is just an awful movie. Don't get me wrong I laughed whilst watching it, but it really is a poor effort from the man who brought us the underground classic Clerks and the gloriously religious Dogma. Still it was better than Jersey Girl.

[QUOTE=Jorge_JBR;220741]Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is not a terrible film for what it is. It was meant to be a fun, slightly over-bearing comedy with dick jokes.[/QUOTE] That's what it was supposed to be, but unfortunately, it just wasn't as funny as it thought it was. And a comedy that doesn't make you laugh is a bad thing! I'm interested to see the Grindhouse double-bill!

[QUOTE=TCP1;220747]That's what it was supposed to be, but unfortunately, it just wasn't as funny as it thought it was. And a comedy that doesn't make you laugh is a bad thing! I'm interested to see the Grindhouse double-bill![/QUOTE] Exactly. *high-fives TCP1*

[QUOTE=masterded;221100]Just went to a midnight showing of Grindhouse. All I have to say is I love it, love it, love it, and love it. I would go into more detail, but I will keep it simple. Violence, humor, and lesbians what could be better?[/QUOTE] Absolutely nothing. This post gets my vote for post of the year. The trailers dont interest me at all, but I want to see the movie. For some odd reason I can't seem to put my finger on.

Guest The Aussie
I finally saw the trailer for it today when I went to see 300. It seems to be quite old school in it's style but with a more recent coating.

It bombed because it opened on Easter weekend. On the east and west coasts, it did very well. Everywhere else, especially the Bible Belt, it did horrible. Because the only movie that has violence in it that Jesus-Freaks in the Bible Belt would watch is the Passion of the Christ, which is one of the most violent movies ever, but I won't get into that. Plus, it just goes to show how much money Kill Bill would've lost if it would've been released as one movie. They should've released it as two, like they are elsewhere. But that would of course take away from why they made it.

The reason it bombed is because people don't have the attention span to sit through a 3 hour movie, which is sad, as I totally loved the experience of seeing the double feature, but I've heard they're going to break the two movies apart, which just won't be the same. It makes me very sad that the damn Ice Cube movie did better than this, as much as that movie looks like a cinematic masterpiece... EDIT: Well, some 3 hour movies have done very well (Including LOTR, Titanic) but most of them have been bombing lately (Zodiac, Grindhouse)

[QUOTE=Jorge_JBR;222734]Everywhere else, especially the Bible Belt, it did horrible. Because the only movie that has violence in it that Jesus-Freaks in the Bible Belt would watch is the Passion of the Christ, which is one of the most violent movies ever, but I won't get into that. [/QUOTE] so you're telling me that everyone not on the east or west coast is a jesus-freak, so that's why this crappy looking movie (my opinion) did crappy? i live in texas, i don't practice a religion, but since i live in the "bible belt" i didn't go see it because it wasn't the Passion.....makes sense to me.....it couldn't be because it's a purposely crappy movie paying homage to crappy movies, which really doesn't sound interesting to your average person.....

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;222764]so you're telling me that everyone not on the east or west coast is a jesus-freak, so that's why this crappy looking movie (my opinion) did crappy? i live in texas, i don't practice a religion, but since i live in the "bible belt" i didn't go see it because it wasn't the Passion.....makes sense to me.....it couldn't be because it's a purposely crappy movie paying homage to crappy movies, which really doesn't sound interesting to your average person.....[/QUOTE] I live in Texas too. And I don't even believe in God. I'm not saying everyone is a jesus-freak. I'm saying most are. That's why they call it the bible belt.

[QUOTE=Jorge_JBR;222734]It bombed because it opened on Easter weekend. On the east and west coasts, it did very well. Everywhere else, especially the Bible Belt, it did horrible. Because the only movie that has violence in it that Jesus-Freaks in the Bible Belt would watch is the Passion of the Christ, which is one of the most violent movies ever, but I won't get into that. Plus, it just goes to show how much money Kill Bill would've lost if it would've been released as one movie. They should've released it as two, like they are elsewhere. But that would of course take away from why they made it.[/QUOTE] Why does everyone who believes in an organized Christian religion lately get branded as a Jesus freak? Can someone please explain it to me, because I truly don't get it...

[QUOTE=lovestruck420;219365]What is so spactacular about making films that A.)Are completely unrealistic B.)Make absolutwely no sense or C.)have 1,000 plot twists that lead to nowhere........ ???[/QUOTE] ...hippy.

[QUOTE=gbasalmon;223335]Why does everyone who believes in an organized Christian religion lately get branded as a Jesus freak? Can someone please explain it to me, because I truly don't get it...[/QUOTE] They don't. You live in New York, right? I live in Texas. I live in the Bible Belt. Most of the Christian people I know, are Jesus freaks. Most of the Christian people I've ever met have been. That's how they're raised here.

[QUOTE=Jorge_JBR;223617]They don't. You live in New York, right? I live in Texas. I live in the Bible Belt. Most of the Christian people I know, are Jesus freaks. Most of the Christian people I've ever met have been. That's how they're raised here.[/QUOTE] That wasn't completely directed against you, just some of the things I've read in various threads in the Dog Pound lately. It seems like any time the subject of religion comes up, it is labeled as archaic or the solace of the stupid or uninformed. Quite frankly, that fact makes me sick.

Archived