Lesnar's Opponent Announced

Dustin

In a classic case of putting your money where your mouth is, new UFC signee Brock Lesnar – who has made no bones about wanting to fight the best the heavyweight division has to offer – will make his Octagon debut at UFC 81 on February 2nd against none other than former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I thought he might start off a little slower than facing off against a former champ for his first fight! :eek: But at least this way we'll get to see what Lesnar can really do because Mir wont be a pushover. Plus, if Lesnar does get the win then no-one can cast any doubts because of the opponent he fought. It's certainly a bold move on Lesnar's part, but it could be his undoing and as a result get his ass handed to him. Only time will tell I guess....

Think it's the best way to go for all.. If Lesner doesn't get the win, but makes an obvious great attempt, then he's no longer a joke (if anyone took him that way). Although if he goes out without much of a problem, then he is bassically, and I would, if I were him, look for something else (WWE), lol. I don't think it's going to be a fast match though. Lesnar just might surprise a few, although doubtfull in reality, it could happen.

..this might be a fast fight. Mir is seriously underrated right now. He was one of the top rated BJJ practicioners before his car-accident. Nogueira vs Mir was a dream match not more than 2 years ago. Lesnar has said that Mir doesn't pose a threat. Mir's a big talented guy. Lesnar may have bitten off more than he can chew in his UFC debut.

Even though I probably won't see the fight, this will be interesting. I'd like to see if Brock can get some moves in and actually fight back towards Frank. If Brock can stand his own and not get completely knocked out in the first minute, then maybe I'll really think more of Brock as a fighter than a WWE performer.

I hate to say it, but Lesnar by TKO in the first. Mir has not been impressive at all against decent compettion since his motorcycle accident. Hopefully the old Frank Mir shows up and begins to run through people again, while ending Lesnar's MMA dreams in the process.

Frank Mir tapped out Antoni Hardonk in 77 seconds in his last fight. After about a year lay off from fighting to recover. I'd say submitting anyone in 77 seconds is impressive. Antoni Hardonk is a proven fighter, and a lot of people actually thought Hardonk was going to knock Mir's head off. So, I'm still going with Mir on this one.

I would love to see Lesnar get destroyed but it is a fact that Frank Mir has never been the same since his accident and his best career option at he moment is to work as a commentator. Antoni was an ok fighter and Mir beating him doesn't mean much in the MMA world. Some people even suggested the fight was a setup and Antoni dropped it on purpose.

[QUOTE=BlizzardVeers;312531]Frank Mir tapped out Antoni Hardonk in 77 seconds in his last fight. After about a year lay off from fighting to recover. I'd say submitting anyone in 77 seconds is impressive. Antoni Hardonk is a proven fighter, and a lot of people actually thought Hardonk was going to knock Mir's head off. So, I'm still going with Mir on this one.[/QUOTE] I hope you're right but Antoni Hardonk is nowhere near a proven fighter and nobody thought Hardonk was going to knock Mir's head off, I'd say he was atleast a 5-1 underdog.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;312559]So can we now say that Dustin was right and chris was wrong in that agument in the previous Brock/UFC thread?[/QUOTE] Not really, I proved my point and he conceded it.... It was about what Lesnar said, not what the UFC was going to do... Frank Mir is not a title holder either. Also, to give Dustin proper credit, someone was saying something exactly to what he said. It just wasn't Lesnar (not about UFC championships). I don't know why you want to discredit me on that one?

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;312568]Not really, I proved my point and he conceded it.... It was about what Lesnar said, not what the UFC was going to do... Frank Mir is not a [B](CURRENT)[/B] title holder either. Also, to give Dustin proper credit, someone was saying something exactly to what he said. It just wasn't Lesnar (not about UFC championships). I don't know why you want to discredit me on that one?[/QUOTE] Fixed, just in case someone wants to dispute my wording. Don't think of it as a argument or debate as much as two people discussing and trying to come up with the correct answer to a statement or question.

[QUOTE=xvnukervx;312551]LOL @ overhyped Lesnar. Mir round 1 via whatever he wants.[/QUOTE] Maybe... I'm going to go with Lesnar lasting that first round though... How much farther I wouldn't put anything on. Your pretty observant, and educated with this MMA stuff. So this isn't me thinking you don't know what your talking about... I just think Lesnar [B]IF[/B] he wants to be any type of threat, or to be taken [B]serious [/B]at all, needs that first round to at least show he is "Serious". Otherwise, he needs to just give up on anything but wrestling, lol.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;312571]Maybe... I'm going to go with Lesnar lasting that first round though... How much farther I wouldn't put anything on. Your pretty observant, and educated with this MMA stuff. So this isn't me thinking you don't know what your talking about... I just think Lesnar [B]IF[/B] he wants to be any type of threat, or to be taken [B]serious [/B]at all, needs that first round to at least show he is "Serious". Otherwise, he needs to just give up on anything but wrestling, lol.[/QUOTE] Well, I think Lesnar athletically and skillwise matches up well with CERTAIN fighters. Definately not a submission fighter at the calibur of Mir who is coming off a very solid submission finish. Lesnar could be a force if he took his time, and fought fights that will give him experience against certain types of fighters. He has the athletism, but he only has 1 MMA fight, hes likely to make newbie mistakes when it comes down to the actual fight. Cung Le is a perfect example of a transitional martial artist who is playing his cards CORRECTLY. He came in with an IMPRESSIVE undefeated San Shou kickboxing record, but is FIGHTING his way up in MMA. Gaining very important octagon experience and adjusting to the new rules WITHOUT taking an initial lopsided beating. Cung Le is on his way to being a serious force in MMA. Lesnar on the other hand is coming off 1 MMA win over a subpar heavyweight, and is going to jump in there and try to fight a former UFC champion. :eek: This is going to be a BRUTAL reality check for Lesnar. Im just hoping Mir doesent BREAK something like he did to Tim Sylvia and permanently retire Lesnar.

[QUOTE=xvnukervx;312579]Well, I think Lesnar athletically and skillwise matches up well with CERTAIN fighters. Definately not a submission fighter at the calibur of Mir who is coming off a very solid submission finish. Lesnar could be a force if he took his time, and fought fights that will give him experience against certain types of fighters. He has the athletism, but he only has 1 MMA fight, hes likely to make newbie mistakes when it comes down to the actual fight. Cung Le is a perfect example of a transitional martial artist who is playing his cards CORRECTLY. He came in with an IMPRESSIVE undefeated San Shou kickboxing record, but is FIGHTING his way up in MMA. Gaining very important octagon experience and adjusting to the new rules WITHOUT taking an initial lopsided beating. Cung Le is on his way to being a serious force in MMA. Lesnar on the other hand is coming off 1 MMA win over a subpar heavyweight, and is going to jump in there and try to fight a former UFC champion. :eek: This is going to be a BRUTAL reality check for Lesnar. Im just hoping Mir doesent BREAK something like he did to Tim Sylvia and permanently retire Lesnar.[/QUOTE] Actually, I'm afraid of that happening as well. I think he will do all he can to last the first round is all I'm saying. I don't see it going much farther, but who knows? I could be wrong. I just wish he would have took his time with this instead of trying to rush up to title level without getting a little experience under his belt. I can see his point though, these fights are made so long in advance, that if he WAS ABLE to do it, it would work out nicely, and provide him with instant rewards (in MMA terms). This fight is scheduled three months from now, which is a good time frame. He should have waited for this one, or at least took on a similar opponant that wasn't as established as his first fight. Least wise he would be somewhat ready for the reality check. Like you, I'm just hoping he doesn't get a carreer ending loss... Hopefully the fight stops before anything breaks.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;312568] I don't know why you want to discredit me on that one?[/QUOTE] This is what Dustin said: "I'm being fair man, that guy that said he wouldn't be tested until late 2008 was just giving his opinion. If Brock only wants 2-3 fights but also wants to win the championship, I'd say he'd have to start fighting the best right away." The point being made was that Lesnar would be facing a tomato can and Dustin was saying that Lesnar wanted to face knwon fighter because he wanted to fight for a title relatively soon. Turns out, he was right. And again..in your own words... [QUOTE]I'm not a big MMA fan, so I don't really know who is the top guys, or what they are capable of.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE]My biggest gripe about the admittedly little I've seen in MMA...[/QUOTE] [QUOTE]I just can't help thinking I'm watchin' a school fight when I watch them. I don't really see anything in there that gives me any example's of real martial skills.. I have not seen any PPV's though, perhaps the Bruce Lee kicks and such appear on them. Then again, perhaps the whole "Kickboxing" thing is left out to dry in this sport called MMA, and I'm just missing something. Either way, it's a blast fleshing the new game out (although just the editor so far), isn't it? EDIT: This isn't to knock the sport at all, just an opinion on someone that hasn't had the exposure that it takes to give it the proper respect, I'm sure.[/QUOTE] I guess I'm just surprised you keep debating something you've repeatedly said you don't know that much about. :p

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;312580]Actually, I'm afraid of that happening as well. I think he will do all he can to last the first round is all I'm saying. I don't see it going much farther, but who knows? I could be wrong. I just wish he would have took his time with this instead of trying to rush up to title level without getting a little experience under his belt. I can see his point though, these fights are made so long in advance, that if he WAS ABLE to do it, it would work out nicely, and provide him with instant rewards (in MMA terms). This fight is scheduled three months from now, which is a good time frame. He should have waited for this one, or at least took on a similar opponant that wasn't as established as his first fight. Least wise he would be somewhat ready for the reality check. Like you, I'm just hoping he doesn't get a carreer ending loss... Hopefully the fight stops before anything breaks.[/QUOTE] If Mir doesnt win in the first, its gonna be a Lesnar win mark my words, Mir's cardio isnt exactly impressive. BTW, I DO hope Mir breaks something and ends it for Lesnar. EDIT: and then does it to Sylvia again

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;312581]This is what Dustin said: "I'm being fair man, that guy that said he wouldn't be tested until late 2008 was just giving his opinion. If Brock only wants 2-3 fights but also wants to win the championship, I'd say he'd have to start fighting the best right away." The point being made was that Lesnar would be facing a tomato can and Dustin was saying that Lesnar wanted to face knwon fighter because he wanted to fight for a title relatively soon. Turns out, he was right. And again..in your own words... I guess I'm just surprised you keep debating something you've repeatedly said you don't know that much about. :p[/QUOTE] [QUOTE]“If you want to go with the NFL of the fighting game, it’s the UFC, and it was an easy choice for me,” said Lesnar. “Obviously I don’t think I’m ready for a title shot right away, but I will be there, and I’m not gonna turn down any opponent because I’m here to prove myself. I’m not here to pick and choose my fights. I’ll fight whomever they want. I don’t make the fights; that’s not my job. I’ve got one job to do and that’s to fight.” [/QUOTE] And this is what was really said. I still feel that way. Doesn't mean I can't give an opinion though. First off, the debate was over something that Brock had said. You left that part off.. Dustin started to post something, but left it alone, I started to debate it and left it alone... IT was over what Brock saying he wanted a title fight right away, but it wasn't about a UFC title fight. HE stated at that time, that he was going to do what they wanted him to do, and try to do his best. That was the end of it. What he says now is irrelevant to then. I might not get into MMA, but I was heavily into Boxing, and I actually was a boxer at one time. I can understant alot more then you think I can. The difference in styles in my eyes, is a scientific skilled submissive MMA fighter going against a green and in my opinion kind of sloppy MMA fighter with a wrestling background that didn't include breaking bones. He's over his head on this, in my opinion. I have a background in some of this stuff, but I am not into it (as a sport competition) because I believe in the self defense teachings of a lethal combat that has real danger of life loss in the ring. I understand there are rules, but I'm just not really for the "accident" of someone getting upset and doing a lethal move in the spirit of "sport", and the likeliness of people going "He shouldn't have made him mad" when most of these guys with any skill, could if they wanted "END" their opponants life if they "slipped" and didn't follow the rules one time. Even the guys that shouldn't win, could, if they really got upset, end the life of someone much better. Most of these guys that I've been looking at, in all fairness, seem to be very good sportsman, and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, for the love of what they do for a living. However, I'm just a difference of opinion... Thus my fear of Lesnar having a carreer ending match, just to proove he's unworthy.

[QUOTE=Dustin;312582]If Mir doesnt win in the first, its gonna be a Lesnar win mark my words, Mir's cardio isnt exactly impressive. BTW, I DO hope Mir breaks something and ends it for Lesnar. EDIT: and then does it to Sylvia again[/QUOTE] Your kind of evil, aren't you? Bah, I don't like Lesnar anyways, but I don't want to see anyone's carreer ended.

[QUOTE=Dustin;312582]If Mir doesnt win in the first, its gonna be a Lesnar win mark my words, Mir's cardio isnt exactly impressive. BTW, I DO hope Mir breaks something and ends it for Lesnar. EDIT: and then does it to Sylvia again[/QUOTE] Mir doesent need cardio for this fight. Lesnar is going to come blazing in with a high speed freestyle wrestling takedown and put Mir on his back. And then Mir is going to make him pay dearly. Even if this fight went to round 3, a gassed Mir is still 100 times slicker on the ground then a MMA greenthumb in Brock Lesnar.

Archived