[HYPE] War Of The Immortals - A TEW08 Mod by Tommy

I don't know how it happened, but it did. It was October 1st, 2008, a normal day, like thousands of normal days before it. People went to work, they went home, they watched their televisions and laughed with their friends. But something was different. And I was the only one who noticed. My normal day, my normal existence was turned upside down by a lousy poster. I barely glanced at it as I walked to the subway, but something made me turn back. I thought it was a joke. [CENTER] [IMG]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1959/poster2er1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] I stared at it for a good minute. It confused and fascinated me, but it took a stranger to freak me out. [QUOTE]"[I]I got tickets to that,[/I]" said the middle-aged man. I wouldn't normally talk to a stranger outside a subway station, but this was different. "[I]What do you mean?[/I]" I asked. "[I]I bought a piece of paper that lets me get into the arena, genius - are you messed up?[/I]" he replied. I quickly corrected myself. "[I]You more of a Mid-Atlantic man, ay? Or one of those OWW marks?[/I]" "[I]I.. I guess[/I]," I replied. "[I]I mean I watch the WWE?[/I]" "[I]The what?[/I]" he replied. "[B]What's the WWE[/B]?"[/QUOTE] And that's when I knew, something had gone wrong. Horribly wrong. Over the next twenty minutes, the stranger told me everything (except his name). Every wrestler I could think of, old, young, alive, dead - they were all wrestling. [I]Now[/I]. There was no Wrestlemania, no Attitude Era, no WCW, no ECW, no WWF or WWE or WWWF. There were promotions, successful promotions, all across the entire country. Wrestling was white-hot in every territory, with tens of millions of loyal fans. The Immortals of Wrestling were alive. And it was beautiful. [CENTER] [IMG]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8461/woti2ms4.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=alden;363696]man, hyping a diary for a game five to six month out lol, got to admit that is a intresting move. but loved your stuff before so, can't wait.[/QUOTE] I believe he his hyping what will be his first mod for '08, not a diary.

Tommy, Are you going to use them at their Athletic best, or the "Height" of their carreer? Or combining the best of both? I'm sure you know what I mean, but in case I confused anyone else... People like Hogan were in much better shape (Physically) BEFORE they were world Reknown, however the injuries might not have taken their toll till later in their carreer. I plan on stealing everything off this and making/combining it to make a personal mod from it.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;364465]Tommy, Are you going to use them at their Athletic best, or the "Height" of their carreer? Or combining the best of both? I'm sure you know what I mean, but in case I confused anyone else... People like Hogan were in much better shape (Physically) BEFORE they were world Reknown, however the injuries might not have taken their toll till later in their carreer. I plan on stealing everything off this and making/combining it to make a personal mod from it.[/QUOTE] It's a mix of both really, not locked down into a definite time. Hulk Hogan in this could be the Hulk Hogan of the 1980's or the 1990's, Flair could be any time in the 1980's, as could Steamboat. Guys like Austin and The Rock had more specific peaks, so they're easier to figure out. The contentious point of the mod is how I've handled some of the older workers from the 60's and 70's. Buddy Rogers is an semi-active wrestler, but Gorilla Monsoon is an older commentator, just because I think most of the people playing the mod remember Gorilla as the legendary play-by-play guy. Bruno Sammartino is an active wrestler, but Stu Hart is a road agent. I figured not everybody could be an active wrestler at their peak, so I've made a few judgement calls that people can change if they care too much. As for popularity, that's another story all together :)

I think its best to use these guys in a position that most of us know them from. Most of us know Gorilla as a PBP guy, most of us know Heenan as a Manager or Color guy. However like you said most of us know Bruno as only a wrestler. I guess the popularity issue doesn't come too much into play because you might have 20 guys that are all time legends at the top of everybody's list. Guys like Lou Thesz, Bruno, Superstar Billy Graham, Hogan, Flair, Piper, Andre etc. Then you got guys like Hart, Michaels, Hall and Nash, Sting, The Undertaker, guys that were pretty much last generations big names. Then you got guys like Cena, Trips, The Rock, Austin, Foley. So I gotta say it'll be interesting to see how you juggle all these big names. I mean in theory there are enough "legends' out there past, present and future to fill up a huge mod the way it is. Then you add in tag teams and general mid carders and you can make this thing as big as you want to. Have you started any work on it yet or are you waiting until TEW 08 comes out to start work on it?

Already have 732 workers, looking at about 1000 for the release, and about 20 promotions. Will get some testers in the next month or so once I've got the simulation down pat, because I know I'm forgetting a bunch of workers. As for popularity, its a regional thing mainly. Massive names are popular everywhere (Andre, Hogan, Flair, Austin, Rock etc), while 'newer' main-eventers or guys that never really broke into superstardom (Cena, HBK, Sting) have high popularity in certain areas but are in the 60's or 70's elsewhere.

Maybe you didn't describe your mod correctly, or maybe you did. A lot of these boards is given to those who have a proven track record in a certain area. Obviously Tommy has given us some excellent mods in the past so I think people will certainly look out for and antcipate something from him than say from someone like or (or me) that haven't done a lot of popular modding in the past. Its been my experiance that people are interested in all sorts of stuff. If you're interested in it, chances are some one else is too. I see a lot of people coming on the Mods board and asking if people are interested in this type of mod, or this time of thing. Thats fine and you can certainly do it. I'd however just MAKE the mod, put it on the board with a detailed description and let people judge from there. I'm not trying to start anything, just simply offering some friendly advice as to a easier way of getting people to recognize your work.

[QUOTE=rodzillahotrod;366663]im not going to lie this sounds great but im jealous because before i post in the 07 mods and asked if anyone would want a best of the best mod and everyone said no and now everyones happy, oh well atleast someone gets to put this out i can't wait[/QUOTE] One person said it was a bad idea in your [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18256"]thread[/URL], not everyone.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, nearing the 800's in workers and sent the data to some testers to fill in the blanks, however they ARE VERY VERY SLOW MEN If all bodes well, I'd say it will be released a month or two after TEW08. I'll put some more hype up later, once I've finalised a few more promotion's rosters.

Archived