New 1996 Mod Hype/Help Thread!

[SIZE="2"][B]1996[/B] … The Monday Night Wars …. nWo …. The Attitude Era …. The Rise of ECW .. The explosion of hardcore wrestling ….. Lucha Libre crossing the border ….. The rise of the internet and smart marks ….. This was a turbulent and exciting time in wrestling, a boom period built upon rabid competition. This was the era that new stars were made, wrestling was redefined, an era that changed the course of the business for ever.[/SIZE] I was not going to write up a hype thread until I had done enough work that I figured I’d passed the point of no return, I think today I’ve done that so let me give you some details on this mod. I’ve been slowly but steadily working on this for the last couple of months, at first simply as my own project to see if I could accurately recreate some of my favourite promotions of this era. After seeing I could do this, and that my very small unfinished mod actually ran quite well and was fun to use, I decided to expand it into a full blown mod. I hope for a release date to coincide with TEW 08 coming out so that a version can be ported over and adjusted so that this mod will be compatible with both TEW 07 and 08. I know that may seem a long time away, but to me that seems like barely enough time to do everything I want, to test everything, to add all the major and minor details that make for more than just a mod, but a complete, era-specific game experience in the same style as Death of the Territories. While I cannot hope to make anything on the same level as DOTT, that has been my inspiration and I guess if I aim high and fall short, I will hopefully still be able to come up with a decent mod. [B]Current Status[/B] Approximately 500 active workers added (goal is for around 1000) Over 100 new workers added (goal is for around 400-500) 12 promotions added (goal is for a minimum of 18) Several new matches and angles added, more to come. [B]The Promotions UNITED STATES World Wrestling Federation [/B] The promotion which brought wrestling into the mainstream with Wrestlemania during the 1980s has been in somewhat of a slump over the past few years. Many of the stars of the ‘80s are gone and the WWF has been relying on a few men such as Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Diesel, Razor Ramon. The WWF undercard consists of a cartoonish pageant of hillbillies, garbage men and fitness enthusiasts. With a number of up and coming youngsters like Steve Austin and Hunter Hearst Helmsley and a controversial writer named Vince Russo, WWF looks set to take a new, edgy direction. The challenge for the WWF will be to quickly establish new stars and try to find a way to compete with the more talented wrestlers and established stars on the WCW roster. [B]World Championship Wrestling[/B] Ted Turner’s WCW is under the command of Eric Bischoff who has seemingly been given a blank cheque book and told to go headhunting. With an already formidable roster combining major names such as Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage with some of the finest wrestlers in the world like Guerrero, Malenko and Benoit, WCW looks set to take the fight to WWF as the two promotions struggle for supremacy during the exciting period which would be known as The Monday Night Wars. The challenge for WCW will be to manage the egos of the popular yet aging veterans while creating new stars to fill their shoes. [B]Extreme Championship Wrestling[/B] During the mid 90’s ECW was on fire, their controversial approach and gritty style of hardcore wrestling revolutionized the business while making stars out of a number of workers who would otherwise have gone unnoticed. While they have a ton of momentum and a youthful roster on their side, WCW’s talent scouts keep a close eye in ECW and have already raided the promotion to gain the likes of Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko and Eddy Guerrero, and so the challenge of ECW will be to continue to create new stars and keep costs low while facing the likelihood that WCW will poach much of their talent. All this while trying to bring a violent, alternative style of wrestling to a larger audience in a far more conservative time, especially in regards to TV. ECW stars include Shane Douglas, Taz, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman. [B]United States Wrestling Association[/B] Memphis Wrestling was at this point steadily sinking. The style was a mixture of cheap entertainment and outdated territorial era wrestling which in the age of the Monday Night Wars looked distinctly out of place on the wrestling landscape. Used as a developmental federation for the WWF, a sort of precursor to Ohio Valley Wrestling, USWA was primarily built around Jerry Lawler but also had a number of second generation wrestlers such as Jeff Jarrett and Jesse James Armstrong as well as some veterans making appearances like The Rock N Roll Express, the Moondogs and Koko B. Ware. For USWA, the main challenge will be to survive and somehow stay relevant in a rapidly evolving wrestling landscape. [B]East Coast Wrestling Association[/B] One of the few small indies I have decided to include in this mod, ECWA is based in Deleware and is largely unknown outside of its home area. At this point the ECWA has not yet introduced their Super 8 tournament, and simply promote small, family-oriented shows. Not so much a competitive promotion as a developer of young talent, ECWA boasts a number of future stars including Steve Corino, Lance Diamond (later Simon Diamond), Kid Flash (Later Billy Kidman) and ‘Dangerous’ Devon Storm as well as long-time ECWA stalwarts like Ace Darling, Cheetah Master and Boogie Woogie Brown. [B]PUERTO RICO[/B] [B]World Wrestling Council[/B] Puerto Rico is in wrestling terms the land that time forgot. Despite the time period, WWC continues as it has done since the territorial days, with a solid but unspectacular mixture of old school grappling and bloody brawls. While it has never attracted the same level of talent since the murder of Bruiser Brody, WWC steadily imports wrestlers from around the world to complement their own Caribbean talent. Despite his age, Carlos Colon remains a powerful figure both in and out of the ring, and along with the likes of Invader #1, Bronco #1 and Huracan Castillo Jr. the legacy of Puerto Rican wrestling continues. Also on the roster are a young Canadian tag team consisting of Sean Morley and Shane Sewell, known as The Canadian Glamour Boys. [B]MEXICO[/B] [B]Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre[/B] The oldest active promotion in the world and one of the most consistent over the years, CMLL (also known as EMLL) have built a massive fanbase in Mexico thanks to their traditional approach to lucha libre. Long the dominant promotion south of the border, CMLL has been challenged in more recent times by upstart promotions such as Antonio Pena’s AAA. Despite this, CMLL continues to deliver solid, consistent wrestling rather than by trying to change their style. Some of CMLL’s stars are Dos Caras, Atlantis, El Hijo Del Santo, Blue Demon Jr., Dr Wagner Jr. and Los Brazos. [B]Asistencia Asesoria Y Administracion[/B] Formed by Antonio Pena and made up largely of workers from within Pena’s clique not satisfied working for the highly traditional CMLL. AAA have grown quickly and delivered some of the most exciting wrestling ever seen in Mexico, most notably the When World’s Collide pay per view. Unlike CMLL, AAA has not hesitated to push younger talent and the result of this has been exciting and agile young workers like Rey Mysterio Jr, Psicosis and Juventud Guerrera quickly becoming stars. Other popular workers for AAA include Konnan, Volador, Fuerza Guerrera and Los Villanos. [B]JAPAN[/B] [B]New Japan Pro Wrestling[/B] The King of Sports, Antonio Inoki’s New Japan is arguably neck and neck in the race with All Japan to be the top promotion in Japan. Lead by ‘The Three Musketeers’ Shinya Hashimoto, Keiji Mutoh and Masahiro Chono, New Japan have maintained their popularity by taking a different approach than the more traditionalist All Japan. While AJPW remains largely isolated, NJPW works with a number of promotions including WCW and WAR which has allowed New Japan to offer a much greater variety of matches. NJPW also has the stronger junior heavyweight division with the likes of Jushin Liger and Koji Kanemoto leading the way. However, New Japan is perhaps not as consistent as All Japan and must be careful not to simply rely on talent trades to find workers but also build their young lions into stars. [B]All Japan Pro Wrestling[/B] All Japan during the early to mid 1990s is often considered as some of the greatest wrestling ever seen. With a roster that includes the likes of Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, Akiyama, Akira Taue, Stan Hansen and ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams as well as aging stars Jumbo Tsuruta and Giant Baba, there is little wonder how they attained such high praise. While the talent level is very high, All Japan does have some weaknesses. A very limited junior heavyweight division at a time when high-flying is becoming very popular makes them appear a little out of touch with the overall trends in wrestling. This coupled with the isolationist approach of Giant Baba in comparison to New Japan’s cross promotional efforts with the likes of WAR and WCW limits the possibilities and number of potential matchups. [B]Wrestle Association ‘R’[/B] Genichiro Tenryu’s WAR promotion is only a few years old at this point, but has had some success thanks to the name value of Tenryu as well as a working agreement with New Japan. WAR has some exciting young talent in the junior heavyweight division such as Chris Jericho, Lance Storm and Ultimo Dragon. However, WAR has a relatively weak heavyweight division and is constantly struggling to find top draws to face Tenryu and also suffers from having one of the most unusual misfit rosters in wrestling. WAR will need to find some other major names to join the promotion while somehow holding on to their talented juniors who are in high demand outside Japan. [B]Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling[/B] Following the second but not final retirement of Atsushi Onita in 1995, FMW has been struggling to create new stars. Hayabusa has been the man chosen to lead the company into the future but after putting Onita over in his retirement match, Hayabusa is not yet really a true star in the minds of the fans. With a number of other early FMW stars currently working for other promotions, FMW must build the likes of Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka, W*ING Kanemura, Megumi Kudo and The Gladiator Mike Awesome into major names as well as possibly steal back some of their past stars from IWA Japan while being careful not to let the more frequent schedule and violent matches take too much of a physical toll on their wrestlers. [B]Michinoku Pro Wrestling[/B] Formed in 1993 by The Great Sasuke, this lucha style promotion has an extremely talented but rather inexperienced roster. Kaientai DX has recently formed and during 1996 they would become one of the hottest stables in wrestling after Taka Michinoku and Shoichi Funaki joined Dick Togo, Men’s Teioh and Shiryu in a feud against the Sekigun which includes the likes of Sasuke, Gran Hamada, Super Delfin and Gran Naniwa. Michinoku Pro could rise quickly but must also face the possibility of their talent being poached by the larger promotions. This, along with the small roster and limited finances will be the main challenges for Michinoku Pro. [B]Big Japan Pro Wrestling[/B] Only recently formed and still made up primarily of young, inexperienced trainees of The Great Kabuki; Big Japan is the smallest of the deathmatch promotions in Japan. While they do have some more experienced workers on the roster, the key to running Big Japan is to develop their young workers into the violent psychopaths they would later become during the Deathmatch Revolution period. Major stars are few but Shoji Nakamaki and Kendo Nagasaki are capable at the top of the card along with US imports Action Jackson and Jason Knight complementing the young talent such as Yosuke Kobayashi (later Abdullah Kobayashi) and Seiji Yamakawa (later Ryuji Yamakawa). [B]IWA-Japan[/B] 1995 was a big year for IWA Japan. Their King of the Death Match tournament, including the final between Cactus Jack and Terry Funk, was a big success and would go down in history as one of the most violent shows ever staged. Unfortunately in late 1995 the main man in charge of booking overseas talent, Victor Quinones, would leave IWA-Japan and without his influence it is unsure whether the promotion will be able to hold on to their top foreign stars. A new direction may be in order if this company is to survive. Major Stars include Cactus Jack, Terry Funk, Shoji Nakamaki, Mr Pogo and Tarzan Goto. [B]All Japan Women’s[/B] The longest running active promotion in Japan also happens to be the greatest women’s company in the history of wrestling. While AJW is perhaps on a downswing after some phenomenal matches in the early 1990s, they still have a formidable roster which includes the likes of Manami Toyota, Kyoko Inoue, Aja Kong, Akira Hokuto and Takako Inoue. While AJW look likely to remain on top of the joshi world, their main challenge will come from a shallower talent pool as joshi wrestling declines in popularity, as well as competition from an increasing number of women’s promotions each trying to gain a foothold on a shrinking market. [B]JWP Project[/B] The second largest women’s promotion in Japan by a fairly wide margin, JWP Project rose out of the ashes of the original Japan Women’s Pro and use many of the same workers. While JWP cannot boast the same level of talent as AJW, they do have a solid roster including the likes of Mayumi Ozaki, Dynamite Kansai and Cuty Suzuki. The main challenge of JWP will come from the growth of smaller upstart joshi promotions such as GAEA who look to challenge JWP for their place on the joshi scene. [B]GAEA[/B] Chigusa Nagoya’s recently formed promotion made up of her young trainees, GAEA is at this stage still a very small company who would hold monthly shows at Korakuen Hall. While they have some good young talent, GAEA is lacking in major stars and has been using a working agreement with FMW to fill gaps in their roster. GAEA will need to make some big signings in order to establish themselves on the joshi scene. Their stars include Chigusa Nagoya, Lioness Asuka and the young Meiko Satomura. [B]Other Possible but unlikely promotions[/B] While the above promotions are definitely going to be included, and are in many cases already complete, there is an outside chance that some of the following promotions may be able to be included in the mod should I be able to find adequate information on them from this time period. Any help in this regard is appreciated, but a promotion is unlikely to be added if I cannot get at least a decent sized and accurate roster. Absolute minimum is a roster of around 12. [B]American Wrestling Federation [/B](Paul Alperstein) [B]NWA New Jersey [/B](Dennis Coraluzzo) [B]All Pro Wrestling[/B] (Roland Alexander) [B]Empire Wrestling Federation [/B](Jesse Hernandez) [B]Border City Wrestling [/B](Scott D’Amore) [B]IWA Puerto Rico [/B](Victor Quinones) [B]NWA Hammerlock UK [/B](Andre Baker I think) [B]Catch Wrestling Association [/B](Otto Wanz) Japanese promotions which I will probably not add as Japan already has more promotions than the other game areas, and I do not want to create an unbalanced gameworld. [B]Ladies Legend Pro Wrestling Jd’ BattlArts UWFi[/B] [B]How Can You Help?[/B] I won’t beat about the bush, creating a mod is a massive undertaking and to make one which feels complete and runs well is more than I can accomplish on my own. Anyone willing to volunteer can either respond to this thread or PM me. The more help and advice I get, the more likely that something really fun and memorable can be created. Here is what I will probably need help with. [B]Graphics[/B] – I have no skill for graphics, cutting, photoshopping etc, which is why I decided that I would probably try to create a pic pack based on the DOTT style. A background with a square photo copied and pasted into the centre. Not only because this is quicker and easier to do, but also because many of the lesser known workers of this time period are hard to find high quality pictures for, and this method tends to look more flattering than your typical KyKy cut when dealing with old, lower quality pictures. In addition to this, if anyone is willing to create backgrounds or the like it would be appreciated. I don’t view this as essential but decided to mention it anyway. If I don't get help with graphics and pics, I will simply release the mod without any of this. [B]Testing[/B] – When the time comes, I would like to release this mod to a few experienced players for testing before unleashing it on the general gaming community, anyone who thinks they know the era and a little about the general mechanics of TEW who will still be around in a couple of months would be more than welcome to help out and get an early look at this mod. [B]General Data/title histories[/B] – While I am happy to make every worker from scratch, there are some things which are a little time consuming and which I really don’t think I would be bothered with. Things such as title histories, the more well-known alter egos, etc. If anyone is willing to add some things like this, or let me use another data set they have already created this will be appreciated. [B]Television/PPV Advice[/B] – I’m Australian, and as such I have very little knowledge of which network broadcast what show in which location in 1996, I can research it but I figure since we have a large community here from around the world there would be some UK and US people willing to chip in and save me some time. [B]General modding/worker/whatever I am stuck with advice.[/B] Once in a while I will come across something that just stumps me, I am unsure how to add, or a game event which keeps happening which I don’t think fits into the style of the mod or the era. I’ll post any development issues or general problems of that nature in this thread. Finally, if anyone actually bothered reading all of that I thank you, anyone who didn't I apologize for being so long-winded. :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Akki, creating title histories would be a huge help and would be much appreciated. I think I will probably leave the issue of worker pics aside unless I can recruit a group of people who are willing to share the workload. I don't mind doing some basic copy and paste DOTT style pics of a lot of the lesser known workers who as yet have not appeared in any other mods, and therefore have no pics but yeah ... it's a tedious job doing it for an entire mod. I have hopes a few people may be willing to divide the work. If not, that's the way it goes.

[QUOTE=justtxyank;373389]Releasing a custom pic pack would be foolish imo. My MA 2.0 pic pack is a good combo of a ton of pics, plus my photobucket has over 10 pages of pics for this era. I cut more for that era than any other pics.[/QUOTE] Yeah I love some of your pics on your photobucket, could you direct me to your MA 2.0 pic pack? I don't think I have seen that one yet but would love to check it out. I did take a look at the 95 pic pack too but here is my dilemma, amigos. Every man and his dog knows what Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart look like, and they have heaps of quality pics around. But I am trying to add a lot of workers and at least 18 promotions, and while I acknowledge the majority of interest will be in running the WWF/WCW/ECW, I am not creating the other workers and promotions simply as filler.They are there to be playable for those people like me who happen to like to run foreign or indy promotions from time to time, or just those who want to try something different and challenging or check out what other workers were around at this time. It makes the mod feel more complete unlike a lot of mods, such as MA 97, which has some great work done on major promotions but then for some reason includes BJPW but has nobody on their roster. :confused: [I](no offense to the people who created the MA 97 mod, as I am a big fan of it and can see a lot of work went into it but still fail to see why an empty promotion was added. P.S. let me know if you ever want help putting a roster in for BJPW, I am pretty sure I could do it for you.)[/I] Anyway, back on topic ... the reason I was considering a pic pack is simply because the devil is in the detail for me, I know trying to make a pic pack is foolish, but I also know that without pics for a lot of the lesser known workers nobody will use them and therefore me working hard to create a fun, accurate mod including more than just the American big three is kind of wasted time. So yeah, that's my problem and I'm still trying to find answers for it. It's not a deal breaker, but something that does bother me a bit.

[url]http://www.bobinc.net/TEWDownloads/Mods/MA_2People.zip[/url] Here is the link to the pic pack. If you want to do cuts in a different format, I'll agree to help you get the pics once I see how good the mod is lol. I say that because it takes a lot of effort to start doing a whole new pic pack, and if your mod isn't going to be something I want to play, I don't want to spend the time on it. But I'm optimistic. I like the idea as long as you don't do something as dark feeling as DOTT. Dott fits the time frame.

[QUOTE=justtxyank;373605][url]http://www.bobinc.net/TEWDownloads/Mods/MA_2People.zip[/url] Here is the link to the pic pack. If you want to do cuts in a different format, I'll agree to help you get the pics once I see how good the mod is lol.[/QUOTE] Thanks, and yeah that's fair enough since nobody has seen any of my data yet and my work is pretty much an unknown quantity. [QUOTE=justtxyank;373605] I like the idea as long as you don't do something as dark feeling as DOTT. Dott fits the time frame.[/QUOTE] If I understand correctly what you mean by "dark feeling" then no, I'm hoping to make something the complete opposite in that regard. DOTT occured during a time when the industry was changing and a lot of the older promotions were dying out, one of the ideas I was thinking when brainstorming this mod was making it kind of like a DOTT in reverse. Trying to add the same attention to detail and make the same type of complete game world feeling but rather than starting out with a lot of promotions and seeing many fail, it would be a few promotions at the start but with a lot of new promotions and new workers entering the game. I am not sure that would work, and it's something that is most likely going to be decided once I complete the data and get into the testing phase. But yeah, I see it as being more of an optimistic mod. After all 1996 was the year I started getting back into wrestling after being a huge fan as a child, and then being completely and utterly demoralized due to the Ultimate Warrior defeating Hulk Hogan. I didn't watch for years after that.

Just updating how this mod is progressing. Having found some more information and footage, I've decided that one of my previously "possible but unlikely" promotions is now almost certain to be included. Roland Alexender's All Pro Wrestling out of California, as may be remembered from the documentary Beyond The Mat should be included with a roster of about 14-15 workers including the likes of Michael Modest, Matt Hyson (Spike Dudley) and Erin O'Grady (Crash Holly). There are a few workers I have not been able to find enough info on to include, but if I do I may be able to bump the roster up a couple of workers. Including APW should help to balance the game in the US, something that I think will be very important for more long term gameplay. Apart from this, progress over the last few days has been a little slow, I'm finishing off Mexican workers, testing and polishing and trying to make Mexico run the way I envision it which is mostly a bit of overness and skill balancing. Once Mexico is done I will move onto the UK and Europe, two game areas I have limited knowledge of. At the moment it looks like I will be unable to have any starting promotions in these areas, but I have been researching NWA Hammerlock around this time. So far the roster I have found is as follows. Andre Baker (Owner) Doug Williams Gary Steele Alex Shane Flying Phil Powers Jonny Storm The above workers I am familiar enough with to add, the following workers I am not really familiar with but were with NWA Hammerlock around this time, any information on these workers would be appreciated. Seek ‘n’ Destroy (Tag Team) Mr Vain The Ultimate Bitch The Wildcat Justin Richards Sugar Ray JCB Titan

This mod is still coming along slowly, back at uni now so it will remain slow for a while yet and I will fit in updating and adding data whenever nothing more important is going on in my life. Despite the slow pace I am still determined that this will be completed, but I'm doing it in spurts so I don't get burnt out. Mexico is proving a little difficult, still adjusting some stats to try to make this simulate and play as I would like while also compiling my list of UK/Euro workers. Also I'm brainstorming possible storylines I could add from around this era, some of my ideas so far include ... An nWo storyline - nothing from this timeline would be complete without at least one. Austin 3:16 - A rise of Steve Austin storyline. Path of Rage - A storyline about Taz's unstoppable streak leading up to his Barely Legal match against Sabu. A storyline detailing the feud between Hayabusa and Mr. Gannosuke/Team No respect during the entertainment era of FMW. I will need to create some anal explosion matches/angles in order to use this one. :D I haven't added these yet, I'm still just trying to plot out how they would unfold. I'm also open to any other suggestions from people who have memorable wrestling moments in mind from this era.

hey For storylines, how about: Undertaker/Foley-Probably one of the most underrated fueds during this time. Hart Foundation Reforming- probably one of the best feuds in 1997 A 4 horsemen reunite-At least 1 so it can be nwo/4 horsemen feud so I can put Curt Hennig in there soon Vader/HBK fued-Just so I can have Vader win the World title and piss off HBK. Will Clique have creative control (except for HHH)? I mean they have a huge creative control backstage. What about Hogan?

[QUOTE=da_man_dh;381683]For storylines, how about: Undertaker/Foley-Probably one of the most underrated fueds during this time. Hart Foundation Reforming- probably one of the best feuds in 1997 A 4 horsemen reunite-At least 1 so it can be nwo/4 horsemen feud so I can put Curt Hennig in there soon Vader/HBK fued-Just so I can have Vader win the World title and piss off HBK. Will Clique have creative control (except for HHH)? I mean they have a huge creative control backstage. What about Hogan?[/QUOTE] Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look into them to try to build up some kind of idea of what steps (matches/angles) will be needed for them. If you have much recollection of any of these storylines it would be a huge help if you could give me a brief rundown of how they went down. Otherwise I'll do what I can to figure them out. I'll probably also add a storyline about the formation of Degeneration X if I get time. As for creative control, it will be a matter of what works best in game. Obviously the backstage politics at this time was a huge thing, Hogan I am pretty sure will have creative control, The Clique it will depend mostly on how well it works in the context of the game. I imagine at least Shawn Michaels will have creative control, the others are maybes at this point.

Hall, Nash, Hogan all had creative control. Eric Bischoff mentioned it in his book and/or Monday Night Wars DVD. It'll be tough though, because I don't want to play a game where I can NEVER book Hogan to lose, even if he isn't touched, or pinned in a tag match. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, Troy10. I believe with this mod starting in january of 96 then Hall and Nash will still be working for WWF and I am unsure as to whether they had much control there. Hogan will be a nightmare, I may try a few personality combinations and creative control when dealing with him to see how it turns out. I don't want him to be completely refusing to job ever as the game can sometimes be a bit rigid, but at the same time I like the challenge a big ego and creative control can cause. Also, while this is a fair way down the line in being implemented, I wanted to get people's opinions. Since the mod predates the nWo would you guys like me to leave Diesel and Razor Ramon on PPA agreements with WWF to allow them to be stolen if you wish to play as WCW and recreate the nWo? Or should they be under written deals?

I'd make them have ppa agreements. I think Hall at the time also was working some USWA shows. He's also very close at the start of this mod to being suspended for drug use. Nash and Hall had both agreed to join WCW and signed contracts by I think March 0f 1996 and were just working out the last of their commitments.

Archived